Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed going Mobile

Gatestormer

Some small bits of info on the game -

French mobile developer Gameloft says it's signed a multi-property licensing agreement with Sega Europe to develop, publish and distribute mobile games based on Sega brands.

"We are confident this agreement will be the first step towards a long term partnership between Gameloft and Sega," says Gameloft president Michel Guillemot.

The first of these, releasing in June across the PAL territories, will be a mobile version of Sonic Unleashed, which Gameloft describes as a "high speed 2D side-scrolling adventure that stays true to what’s made Sonic such a popular and critical success over the years."

Sonic Unleashed for mobile lets users play as regular Sonic or night-born Werehog Sonic, up against regular villain Dr. Eggman in a quest to collect the Chaos Emeralds. The mobile edition of the game also promises a new Sonic "personality" with new skills.

partnership between Gameloft and SEGA® Europe Ltd.

"With so much entertainment on the go, it seems natural to provide fans with a mobile game based on the much loved Sonic brand," said Gary Rowe, A&R director for Sega Europe. "Gameloft’s unwavering commitment to quality mobile games combined with a successful track record of bestsellers and unmatched worldwide distribution make them uniquely qualified to develop Sonic Unleashed™ for mobile."

Link

I wonder what a purely 2D Unleashed will be like and I wonder what these new skills will be. Also good to hear they are going to make sure Sonic's personality is in there too :D

Some small bits of info on the game -

Link

I wonder what a purely 2D Unleashed will be like and I wonder what these new skills will be. Also good to hear they are going to make sure Sonic's personality is in there too :D

Posted earlier in the topic.

If its on the iPhone then I won't stay skeptical for it seeing as iPhone has the capacity to play games in a great quality, so a downscaled Sonic Advance is somewhat doubtful. I'd believe they could do something similar to Sonic Rush more like.

What I'm worried for in that case is the controls, seeing as they're Touch-Pad Phones. In Sonic the Hedgehog for the 7th generation Classic iPods, you used the weel to control him so I'm guessing it'll be an implemented touch pad. Except they'd have to come up with clever placing with it if they're going to combine movement, jumping, boosting and all of that. Werehog, that would be a real challenge to make it good and not just a simple one button brawler.

I was skeptical about normal Sonic on a mobile phone, but I think the Werehog will plain just not work.

So unless this is released on the iPod, I'll be avoiding it.

I love how some people are acting like this is next main Sonic game. Its on a mobile phone for crying out loud, it'll be a novelty game that will probably entertain you for all of 5 minutes before you get bored and never play it again as with all mobile phone games (except Snake, best game ever). Besides, if Sonic 1 mobile has taught us anything its that proper Sonic platformers on a phone are shit and unplayable, unless this game is for the iPhone it'll just be one of your run of the mill mobile games that appear on the Jamster page at the back of every magazine ever and not really worth the £5 they want you to pay for it.

Oh come on, it would be better for GBA or DS isn´t it? Everybody has a DS...or a GBA. Or a PC with a GBA emulator. Or a friend who has...*shoot*

And if it´s made with the GBA or DS sprites it would be sooo cute~. And if the werehog was present in the game i would love to see the sprited version *¬*.

But lol, this game is getting so overrated..even getting a mobile version! Why not doing SA2 for mobile instead? -3- Or PC.

Edited by Blue Kirby

Oh come on, it would be better for GBA or DS isn´t it? Everybody has a DS...or a GBA. Or a PC with a GBA emulator. Or a friend who has...*shoot*

And if it´s made with the GBA or DS sprites it would be sooo cute~. And if the werehog was present in the game i would love to see the sprited version *¬*.

But lol, this game is getting so overrated..even getting a mobile version! Why not doing SA2 for mobile instead? -3- Or PC.

Because a mobile phone is just a gimmicky small game that doesn't have to be particulary good for people to eat it up anyway. If they made the game for DS or PSP the production costs would be far more expensive and as I've said before this isn't a mainstream Sonic game, it is a small little cellphone that you'll play for 5 minutes then forget that it exists, alot like Sonic 1 Mobile, Sonic Jump and Sonic at the Olympic Games. This isn't a mobile version of SA2 because Unleashed is still a relatively new game and they want to milk every penny they can from it. And lol, I think you'll find MUCH more people own a mobile phone than a DS and GBA put together XD

I'm interested in what it'll look like! But at the same time I don't understand why make a version for mobile phones, surely it'll be completely different anyway?

Probably just the name, story line, and some Werehog moves will be the same. It's all mony-making. I highly doubt it will be worth anything downloading/buying. Now if they made an iPhone game :wub: that would be a different story (don't even own one LOL).

Think about it this could be what some fans dream of. A whole 2d platform adventure in a slightly more modern style to the gennesis...

Think about it this could be what some fans dream of.

Most fans don't seem to like the Werehog in Unleashed. It may be different in the mobile version, but I think it'll just be worse.

• 2 weeks later...

PS2 is alive and running. Gamecube and XBox aren't. While not next-gen, the PS2 is still very much a current gen system.

Think about it this could be what some fans dream of. A whole 2d platform adventure in a slightly more modern style to the gennesis...

...Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Pocket Adventure? Thats like 10 years of games that beat you to the point XD

PS2 is alive and running. Gamecube and XBox aren't. While not next-gen, the PS2 is still very much a current gen system.

That's only because Sony refuses to let it die, which it needs to.

That's only because Sony refuses to let it die, which it needs to.

Not to derail the topic (though there's no new info on the game yet so no harm done), but the reason they're not letting it die is because it's still one of the most popular consoles. PS3 is a major upgrade from PS2 and very expensive. An upgrade from GCN to Wii or Xbox to 360 isn't much of a problem, but most PS2 owners aren't gonna be upgrading for quite a while. After all, it was the casual gamer's console of last generation.

Makes perfect business sense to keep it going.

(My) Only reason PS2 is still popular is cause it's the cheapest system on the market, much to the relief of stressed parents needing to buy a video game system for their whiny 5 year old. Take that away and most people wouldn't give a damn about it.

That's... pretty much exactly right actually, lol. I don't see the problem.

Not only that, PS2 is still REALLY popular in Japan. Mountains of anime games are still made for them simply because it's cheap to produce for PS2 and most people have one over a PSP or PS3.

Hmm... well if it is for the iPod Touch, and its based on the PS2 version, I quite like the idea. It sounds like if it's done right we're looking at something worth the money IMO.

I... don't really care all that much. It's a mobile phone game. I don't even have an iPhone, let alone a regular cell phone.