Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed going Mobile

Gatestormer

I've just played the game on my phone and the story is almost the same without Dark Gaia!

The same is that the werehog levels are longer again but in the end of the level you fight with Eggman!

It's strange that the first levels are in Chun-nan!I've noticed something else too!There're springs in Werehog level!

The music is awful!I've got earbleeding !I don't know why they put the Spagonian's Night Level Music in Chun-Nan's Night level!!Sonic levels are great!Nothing else I can say for now!

Click Here to choose you mobile phone resolution and DOWNLOAD the game!

Have fun!

Edited by Totally

Can't see a price anywhere :huh:

I cant tell which version would support my Sony Ericsson W580i if any of them do. I hate the confusion with buying games for mobiles.

EDIT: Oh I see, this site is giving the game away free on the sly. I'll wait for a legal version to buy.

The level design actually looks awesome for the Hedgehog. Though the colour of Apotos is really getting on my nerves.

I'm hearing people say this is better than the console version.

Uh.. how exactly? Is it just because it's 2D?

Edited by Chooch

I'm hearing people say this is better than the console version.

Uh.. how exactly? Is it just because it's 2D?

Do you have any idea on how exactly right you are -_-? Yes that's their reason, just because it's 2D and "Classic platforming, better than the big unleashed." That's their reason..... I'm gonna try this out for myself if I get the chance.

Finished it already. It's really good. Would be better on the DS but oh well. The Sonic sprite looks awesome! :o

As for the game itself, it's a Sonic Rush styled game but a bit slower, glitchier and Werehoggier. :)

The Werehog sections are as good and bad as the original version, and the bosses are a pain in the ass. Cannot say the same thing for Sonic.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought the game from Gameloft for my SGH-E250 phone. From the looks of it, they had to cut the game down quite a lot to fit it on my phone - I've only got 7 levels, and they're over fairly quickly. The loops in my version aren't that good either - they're more octagonal-shaped than the ones you go through in another game they've done for mobiles, Rayman Raving Rabbids (which took a lot of elements from Sonic). From looking at the version I got for my phone, it could've been better, but I still like it more than other Sonic games that have been made on mobile phones in the past.

So for those who have played it (either full version or trimmed down one), what levels are included? Did they cover every country, and is there any form of storyline?

EDIT: I actually just remembered Mollfie got a new phone, so I played it myself on there. Man it's awful, lol.

I don't think I have the best version since there was no 3D stuff on Chun-Nan. This seems to have been compiled by two teams, one who played the original game extensively and one who only looked at the box.

Apparently Sonic turned into the Werehog because Eggman stole the Chaos Emeralds. Gaia isn't even mentioned. In addition, "Werehog" is a seperate character, and that is his name, he's also irritable and "It's a good thing Werehog turned back or else he might have destroyed everything in the jungle" says the epilogue to Chun-Nan.

Yet on the other hand, some "cut-scenes" lift dialogue directly from the game's cut-scenes. Weird.

The controls are really iffy. It plays like a bad fan game, with Sonic occasionally being zipped back to standing posistion after jumping rather than continuing to run, and weird physics (such as being able to "land" on walls, walk, and pick up speed as you go up them).

Edited by JezMM

I don't think I have the best version since there was no 3D stuff on Chun-Nan.

It's the same with my version too, but with my Samsung E250 being a fairly old and small model, I can understand why. But there were other things that left me stung about the version I got. Only 2 out of the 7 levels I got featured the Werehog, and they were terrible. On my phone, the werehog has no special techniques or attack, except a punching combo that's performed by tapping 5 again and again. Also, his levels were severely cut down, so you only get to fight the bosses, and they were pretty much exactly the same. Sonic's levels had their faults too - there's very little variety in them. There's only 4 levels in Chun-Nan, and the other 3 are in Mazuri. And like I said earlier, they're over far too quickly. Some of them could be finished in about 30 seconds flat. It may be better than the other Sonic games I've downloaded for my phone, but I still feel let down by Gameloft. If you have a fairly powerful phone with a large screen, you'd probably have a better experience of it than I did. Otherwise, your money is better off spent elsewhere.

Hmm, seems like your version is worse than mine. I've only had the patience to play four levels so far. One was Chun-Nan Day, one was Chun-Nan Night (featuring a boss which was basically a really powerful normal robot with a charging attack, jumping attack, and Eggman flying above cheering it on), then I had another Chun-nan Day, and then Apotos Day. So I certainly have more than Chun-Nan and Mazuri.

Didn't have any of those "octagonal loops" that you mentioned either.

Annoyingly as well, the sound was glitchy as heck. Only springs, rings and jumping made any noise on the day stages, the rest was total silence. Each level had a little midi-ish "intro jingle" all versions of the stage music from the real game, but this only lasted a few seconds, so the main level was mostly silence with the occasional whoosh, boing and ching.

I gave this a little try myself, but I didn't get far. It's really hard to control via an emulator, so I figure I'll probably get it for my actual phone eventually. The makers of the game obviously didn't have much of an attention to detail considering things like Sonic's black eyes and Werehog's blue hands, and also many parts of the story. Some great writing too, in an introduction story narration it noted that the Werehog was "almost like a Werewolf", almost. :P

I was actually looking forward to hearing some of the MIDI renditions of the game's music as well, but I was disappointed in finding out they were all only around 10 seconds long each. I know you have to make some sacrifices to fit it onto older phone models, but come on!

Lots of quabbles aside, the actual game looks fun enough for a quick play now and again though. I think the Mega Drive titles already available for the mobile are better made and didn't hurt my head trying to control them, but for an original game this isn't too bad.

Edited by Tombi

• 5 weeks later...

I would actually buy this if it were on DS or PSP. It looks like good, solid fun.

Ever since I played Unleashed on the 360, I wished for a portable one, for out and about :P, but mainly for the DS, but instead, we get one for mobile :(, terrible!.......SEGA, give us a DS one,pleeeeeeeeeease :(

Sounds like this game is too barebones to warrant even a DS release.

Also the graphics are kind of horrible, especially the character sprites.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_a...cadv/sheet/6583

I dare you to click this link.

Notice how much more fluid and detailed the sprites are and how a bulk of the "new" Unleashed ones are just shoddy edits of those in Sadv1?

Holy shit those Unleashed Mobile sprites are a lot worse than I even initially thought.

And the Advance sprites are terrible too! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I would say that a mobile phone can't handle smoother animations but.. That's a lie.

They released Sonic Advance on a phone, hell, if you can run a Gameboy Advance emulator on phones now, they can make a game specifically designed for the medium to run better than an EMULATOR for an entirely different medium made by some guy on the internet who wasn't paid for it...

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bump an old topic but its for good reason.

For awhile now this games sprites were hard as hell to get, thanks to crap emulation tech at the time. well as of December 2015, 2 months ago, a complete sprite set was finally finished thanks to Retro member Techokami:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/mobile/sonicunleashed/sheet/74879/

Now why a Zip? its all sprite parts, 100s of little images of each sprite piece not an all together sheet. great for custom sprite makers but not the casual sprite artists but they can all be glued together to make a sheet.

EDIT: From the Readme:

-------------------------------
SONIC UNLEASHED
EVERYTHING RIP
-------------------------------

1) CREDITS
The sprites and tiles contained within were originally created by
Gameloft for SEGA and Sonic Team.
The rip was created via an automated process by Techokami and
Ninji (aka Treeki).

If you use the contents of this package, you must give credit
to Techokami, Ninji, SEGA, Sonic Team, and Gameloft.

If you did not download this tileset from the following domains:
http://holenet.info/
http://www.spriters-resource.com/
http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/
then you should immediately start yelling at the webmaster for
mirroring this file without permission.
PROTIP: If you ask first, I'll almost always say yes!

2) THE RIPPING PROCESS
Gameloft uses a lot of custom formats and obfuscation in an effort
to protect their games from being cracked. This made ripping from
the game to be messy, ugly, and complicated. Over the span of an
entire week, I worked with Ninji on reverse engineering complicated
obfuscated Java bytecode to get around a completely custom-made
compression format. THEN we had to reverse engineer the custom-made
image format. That gave us the contents you see in the data folder.
From there, I made some PHP scripts to finish piecing things
together. Literally. That resulted in the contents of the out folder.

3) EXPLANATION OF TILESET
The levels are built from 20x20 pixel tiles. There's one map file
for the background, and one map file for the level layout. There are
also two palette sets; one for daytime levels, one for nighttime
levels. I did not bother with distinguishing between the times of
day for the stages, so I mapped both palette sets for each stage.
No objects are present on the maps, which is why things like loops
are missing. They are actually sprites. I have no idea why they did
it that way, but looking at how the sprites are stored, I don't think
they had their heads on straight to begin with. Some tiles are actually
composite images, and are stored in the same animation format as
sprites, but on a 20x20 pixel canvas.

4) EXPLANATION OF SPRITES
Consistent with claims from Badassbill (former tSR admin that once
worked as a sprite artist for Gameloft), the sprites are stored as
tiny, arbitrarily-sized pieces for things like heads, arms, etc. with
sets of palettes for each sprite set. As such, these pieces alone
aren't very useful. Thankfully, the animation format was not that hard
to figure out (save for some oddness with the final boss), and a
script was created to assemble the animation data. They have been saved
as resource -> palette index. It should be noted that some sprites
literally have special effects baked into the animations, so for the
purpose of making them more usable, animations 215 to 221 for Sonic are
actually custom animations by Techokami. Yes, everything is in fact
256x256 pixels when assembled, as that is the canvas size used by the
animation format.

5) EXPLANATION OF SCRIPTS
libripper.php - LibRipper is a general purpose library script written
by Techokami for doing operations on sprite-related imagery.
sumssa.php - Sonic Unleashed Mobile Super Sprite Assembler is a script
written by Techokami to parse animation data for a resource set and
output assembled sprites as PNG images.
sumlp.php - Sonic Unleashed Mobile Level Parser is a script written by
Techokami to parse level layout data and export level maps as PNGs.
There are two missing Python scripts from this package: a script to
decompress the data files, and a script to convert the image data into
PNG images. These were created by Ninji and have not been cleared by
him for release.

6) EXPLANATION OF WHY THE HELL THE FILES HAVE TIMESTAMPS OF 2010 BUT
THIS THING WAS RELEASED ON CHRISTMAS DAY OF 2015 WHY DID IT TAKE 5
YEARS FOR THIS THING TO BE RELEASED?????????
BlazeFireLP. He seems to be gone now, so he's not going to be stealing
all of our hard work.

• Thumbs Up 6