Awoo.

So in the end, how do you feel about the inclusion of Classic Sonic?

Soniman

So now that Generations has been released for a few weeks and the hype is gone, I wanna ask. In the end. Was Classic Sonic's inclusion in Generations (for the most part) successful and did you enjoy his inclusion?

Ill say my piece here, when all is said and done, I enjoyed his inclusion.

First off, I NEVER expected Classic Sonic to appear at all, especially after the Sonic 4 debacle. So right off the bat I was excited, then I saw the first the initial videos of Classic's gameplay and I thought it looked great, much better than anything that was done in Sonic 4. The environments looked great and the music was (again) better than most of Sonic 4.

And then I played the demo and I was......underwhelmed. Classic Sonic's jump was way to heavy, his spindash was overpowered to a fault, and most importantly his rolling didnt work, which is a big no on when it comes to Classic gameplay.

And then I finally played the game and I was....no as underwhelmed but its still needed a lot more to it. Don't get me wrong though, I had fun with a lot of the levels (Classic Speed Highway is awesome), but a lot of them lacked any kind of flow, I felt as if I had to force everything, and that isnt fun. You want to feel as if you're one with the landscape. In the end the levels needed more slopes and curves to work off of. But as ive said, the theres a good number of level designs that are great and somewhat creative such as the Tornado segment in Classic CC or the Clock Tower/Blimp segment in Classic RR.

In the end, I thought the inclusion of Classic Sonic was a decent recreation of the gameplay, and it was fun for what it was. It could have been a lot better, but it's still good fun imo.

How do you guys feel about Classic's inclusion?

Edited by Soniman032-

I feel it should have used 3DS classic's physics in the console version. All in all though, I too enjoyed it and hope for another game with classic gameplay...

I didn't really feel differently, if anything I thought they included the same character twice =|

But it made for some really nice well balanced (design wise) levels, so I'm happy for it =)

As someone who's always preferred the classic look and never really got attached to modern Sonic's design, I was incredibly happy to see C Sonic in action. The way they retconned him to be a kid worked very well, I think, because he was adorable in the cutscenes, even without dialogue. Would I have liked to see him speak? Yes, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

If anything, it makes me wish Generations was longer and had more of a story so that Classic Sonic could've had more time to shine.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed playing as Classic Sonic (not as much as Modern), it was a great and unique touch to the series.

I thought he was redundant.

The current modern Sonic can do pretty much everything classic Sonic can do and more.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 4 all over again. A bunch of classic trappings, but lacking the most important aspect: the gameplay. I'm disappointed.

Yeah I wasn't too fussed. Hell the hacks prove that there's nothing Classic Sonic can do that Modern Sonic can't.

I'd certainly like to see slower classic Sonic styled gameplay in future games, not as a design choice for the entire game, but just for sections of levels or perhaps seperate levels of their own.

Sonic 4 all over again. A bunch of classic trappings, but lacking the most important aspect: the gameplay. I'm disappointed.

From level design to control, the classic gameplay felt a lot more authentic in Generations. It still wasn't done right though, with an engine that couldn't even handle ramps and rolling correctly- two of the most important aspects of Classic gameplay (heck, even S4 does ramps). I enjoyed it, but I want it to be fixed if they're going to do Classic gameplay again.

Also Classic Sonic felt like a cannonball.

Whilst I personally thought he was awesome, I won't deny that I also feel that nearly everything about him reeks of pandering to the fanbase. From his unnecessary muteness which caters to warped interpretations and complicates characterization to the 2D gameplay, which was not much more advanced than what we saw 17-20 years ago.

Still, his mannerisms and body language were certainly highly endearing and his gameplay style is timeless to me anyway, so it's all good.

to the 2D gameplay, which was not much more advanced than what we saw 17-20 years ago.
Less advanced, in some ways.

I'll keep this short since I'm hungry. There was sooooooo much miss potential here. But it was kinda cool seeing the 3 classic characters come back.

I enjoyed his inclusion and thought it was a nice way to celebrate his 20th, but I don't want to see him again for a long time (excluding the possibility of them using his model for S4 ep2). Though it was nice to see sonic team go back to its roots I wouldn't want them to rely on that aspect again. I think they should spend the next few years developing modern sonic so that he can garner the same amount of success classic did. I personally want to see the series evolve and branch out to greater things than having it rely on nostalgia for sells (though the occasional reference is always welcome :3)

The game itself could have been alot better if it were executed the way it should have. But when looking at the product as a whole, classic gameplay still stands solid next to modern. I prefer classic myself but i think both are equal as good taking generation's classic gameplay.

Edited by Djawed

FUCKING AWESOME. IT MADE THE GAME THE BEST SONIC GAME SINCE SONIC R. I HOPE THAT SEGA LEARNED FROM THIS AND WILL MAKE FUTURE GAMES ALL CLASSIC AND NO MODERN

So in other words, you want Sonic to be stuck in a permanent time loop where his games are nothing more than rehashes of Sonic 1-3&K and undo all the progress they have made to the Modern Gameplay (whether it's good progress or not varies) just to satisfy a niche group of fanatics who cannot ever seem to move on from that era?

This ladies and gents, is the epitome of short sightedness.

• Thumbs Up 7

So in other words, you want Sonic to be stuck in a permanent time loop where his games are nothing more than rehashes of Sonic 1-3&K and undo all the progress they have made to the Modern Gameplay (whether it's good progress or not varies) just to satisfy a niche group of fanatics who cannot ever seem to move on from that era?

This ladies and gents, is the epitome of short sightedness.

It's their opinion. Don't be a dick about it.

Then don't let it get to you. :P

Whilst I don't think they had it 100%, I must say they were definitely on the right track with Classic. I definitely enjoyed playing as him and had a bit of fun with the ability customizing. Although, as sad as it sounds, customizing the music was actually an exciting element part of the game...

I was really excited to see classic Sonic return, especially with the entire Sonic 4 fiasco.

Thinking about it now, it was nice to see him return, but now I would rather have it that they brought the classic designs back solely for Sonic 4 instead. As for Generations, we could just have only modern Sonic and Eggman having a nostalgia trip while Sonic is saving his friends and destroying the enemies and bosses Eggman kidnapped and rebuilt. Replace the Death Egg boss fight and Crisis City with a different boss and a different level; and we wouldn't even have to have a time-travel based plot.

If they did all this, we wouldn't have all of these gaping plotholes, continuity issues, or missed oppurtunities. This the finished product is basically Sonic 4 but signifigantly improved on all fronts.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

After the hype and novelty wore off, classic Sonic is nothing more than an average platformer, IMO. There's certainly emphasis on platforming, there are these slopes and ramps, but without the proper rolling physics, I felt restricted. In fact, the classic levels feel incredibly blocky and more "Marble/Labyrinth Zone" because of this. I don't feel like I'm playing a Genesis classic; it feels more like playing the 8-bit Sonic games on the Master System/Game Gear.

If they advertise "Classic Gameplay" for the next game, it had better be classic gameplay. Seriously, as a person who has absolutely no nostalgic connection to Classic Sonic, the hype for him revolved around whether or not his physics were correct (after all, that defines "classic gameplay"). After the truth was revealed, the hype then switched how Modern Sonic's levels evolved from the "hold-forward/boost-to-win" tagline that Unleashed/Rush were plauged with. They were certainly more enjoyable to play (minus Green Hill Zone to an extent).

In fact, SG Classic Sonic is anything to go by (including the fact that even if they have a proper engine, Dimps would still fuck up thanks to their pathetic excuse for level design...even for making "Sonic Rush" gameplay), then I'd rather have Sonic Team continue forth with good-designed levels like Sky Sanctuary, Rooftop Run, and Planet Wisp as staples for future modern titles. They aren't "classic gameplay" but at least it doesn't have the fucking tagline slapped on as an attempt to guarantee higher sales when all it's doing is playing with people's expectations that you're not willing/talented to follow up on.

Or...how about that "Sonic Dimensions" game? Yeah, it's a stupid rumor, but if it really takes Nintendo developers to finally show them how to get "classic gameplay" correctly (and even further: changing the way 3D Sonic games play), then I happily accept it then.

As far as the design goes, I'm glad they included him and I wouldn't have cared nearly as much about the game if he wasn't in. Yeah I'm a heretic.

It was lovely to see the original design again in a one-time deal after so long, and it is definitely a personal attachment on my part because as a kid I really loved the Japanese artwork for Sonic 3 and Sonic Screensaver (Spaz's early work for Archie had more of an impact on me, though). It's no secret that classic's presence is pandering to the fanbase, but the whole game is doing that already. It's pretty shameless, but they managed to pull it off and make it charming in its own way. And classic isn't replacing modern anytime soon, so it's not doing it any harm since I liked the way they handled him in Generations. When I see classic Sonic make a comeback in some form, it reminds me of seeing classic Mickey in various media from time to time. It's a really warm feeling.

I love the classic design and I never, ever liked Sonic's design from SA1 on until Unleashed came out. Sonic's design from Unleashed grew on me after a while, but classic in Generations reaffirmed my admiration for the original, Felix/Mickey-like aesthetics, and it definitely looks very appealing in 3D. I also ended up enjoying his levels far more than modern's, so I didn't feel that it was a wasted opportunity.

And I don't give a damn whether classic Sonic should have been in Sonic 4 or not, since that game is shit and no one's black eyes could have saved it. At least Generations was great so there's a very substantial reason for going back to it and reliving a modern game with the old Sonic.

In short, classic Sonic isn't the reason why I liked Generations, but it plays a big part in the presentation, and it appeals to the fondness for the series I had in my youth that I no longer have now. All this is backed up by solid (if flawed) gameplay and really fun levels, so I would not have been able to appreciate him in a game like Sonic 4. I'm not expecting him to show up again, but I enjoyed his temporary return to the fullest.

Oh and I'm glad he's mute. Classic Sonic's like the darnedest thing, especially when he tries so hard to be a badass like his Super Sonic end-of-level poses. Adorable, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 7

Basically Sean summed up my feelings, aside from the fact that he actually has played it thus I cannot really comment on the way Classic Sonic's levels play out in the full version of the game. Regardless though he has such a charming design, I look at him and I go "Man he is so likeable" and his expressions are fantastic. It made me remember exactly why as a kid I thought Sonic was the coolest looking video game character. The design also brings back sort of a wave of when the levels were all really surreal and imaginative, which Classic Sonic's design aesthetics really reflect for me. Don't get me wrong, I think Modern Sonic is still really cool but I associate his modern design with the more 'srs business' type stuff due to basically stuff like Adventure, Adventure 2, 06, Shadow's Game, and whatever. But Classic Sonic always makes me think of bouncing on mushrooms, or blasting through carnivals, or parading around in ruins in the sky. So his inclusion in this game along with three amazing classic levels was really appreciated by me and I really really hope that they make use of Classic Sonic again in the future (yes I am aware of them saying he probably wont, but I'll have hope).

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, I think Classic Sonic was the deal maker...

When I first heard about the concept of "Sonic Anniversary" and the rumor of Sonic running throughout classic levels wasn't interesting to me at all. I wasn't a fan of the Unleashed gameplay, and I figured it'd just me more of that, but in classic levels...

The day the trailer was revealed, that's right, the very first day when it was exclusive to Facebook, I watched it, and was pleasantly surprised. Watching Sonic run around and do some tricks in a white Green Hill was cool, but then I saw Classic Sonic! 0.0 :D Now being a fan of the classic design, and the classic gameplay, I looked forward to seeing classic shine once more...

So then came the demo, I was utterly disappointed... Everything was wrong. The rolling, the scripting, the jump, etc, etc. Later though, the new demo came, and it wasn't as bad to me as the previous one. I had a game to look forward too...

Once I got my hands on the game though, I was pleasantly surprised once again, although it's short, and the classic gameplay is nowhere near as polished as I hoped, it was by far the most fun I'd EVER had with a 2D Sonic. Also going through the 3D stages, they were NOT boost-boost-BOOOOST as I expected. They were fast, furious, but still had a lot of platforming, and wasn't full of memorization based gameplay. Generations was not only able to make me enjoy Classic Sonic for one list time, but it also made me ENJOY the Unleashed style gameplay!

I can say a lot more, but I will not.... I had the most fun I've EVER had with a Sonic game, and I think the inclusion of Classic Sonic truly allowed me to see the series as a great thing again, in modern day...

This isn't really a spoiler...

I'm okay with letting go of the past now, and moving forward. Screw Sonic 4, what else you got Sega?

• Thumbs Up 2