Awoo.

What did you find nostalgic?

Speederino

Generations tries very hard to appeal to the long time fans by remaking classic levels, bringing back long-forgotten items and abilities, and contains music from almost every non-Game Gear Sonic game ever made. There's a lot to feel nostalgic over, but was there anything that almost made you feel like a kid again?

For me, the top contenders would have to be Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, and Perfect Chaos. Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure were my two main Sonic games growing up. In fact, Chemical Plant was probably the stage I played the most. It wasn't super-often that I got past the now infamous water section of Act 2. When I play CP in Generations, I can almost see the old wood panelled TV that was once the centerpiece of our family room.

As for the Sonic Adventure levels, those bring me back to the days where my #1 concern in life was catching every little critter in Pokemon Blue. That's not to say these levels make me directly think of Pokemon, but that was the major thing in my life when the Dreamcast came out. When I wasn't doing something Pokemon-related, I was typically playing Sonic Adventure. City Escape also kind of counts, but Sonic Adventure 2 came out around my cut-off point for what I consider to be nostalgic.

I'd also include Green Hill Zone, but we've seen that level remade, revisioned, and remixed so many times over the years that it's just hard for me to feel anything for it in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seaside Hill, I loved this stage, reminds me of the many memories I had while playing Heroes, the first Sonic game I ever owned. The music made me feel like I was on ecasty, espeically when it got to the Ocean Palace bit, absolutley beautiful, and it does my heart proud to see the best stage in Generations comes from a stage in Heroes.

Speed Highway, basically they took the original and made it 10x more badass. All the rocket rides, neon lights, helicpoter rides, and the building chase was all excellent. It's definitely a stage I could come back to again and again.

And who can forget the wonderful music, every remix was brimming with brilliance, to the 3D Blast remix, to all the lesser known games getting remixes like Sonic Battle and Sonic Spinball. I loved all of it.

Edited by Soniman032-

When you go into Speed Highway and you get to the part where the rings are above the spikes and you use the Light Speed Dash to cross (Light Speed Dash from Adventure 1 and 2). I really liked seeing the Light Speed Dash attack back and in more than just the Sonic Adventure levels.

I also liked that part in the second cutscene where Tails says "and that pink water makes me really nervous for some reason" referencing when Tails fell in the water back in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

I also enjoyed the return of City Escape and Seaside Hill, It all made me feel like a five-year old again (I guess seven-year old for Heroes). City Escape brings back many good memories, I've always loved that stage and have always replayed that stage atleast once everytime I play Adventure 2, I also sometimes just play it for the song.

Seaside Hill brings back many memories as well, Heroes was one of the first Sonic games I owned (I think it was something like Sonic and Knuckles, Adventure 2, then Heroes) me and my mother used to play Multi-player on it all the time. So Seaside Hill brings back more memories than any other stage.

This game is just full of Sonic fandom.

Edited by Future-Hedgehog

TBH, when I first played the game, I didn't look at it from a nostalgic perspective, because it was completely new level design. Though City Escape was awesome.

Dat Leaf Forest remix

though aside from that, the only levels that got any nostalgia out of me were City Escape and Seaside Hill, seeing as I never really got to play the classics, 06, and Unleashed, I found Speed Highway in Adventure quite forgettable, and I just wasn't feeling much from Planet Wisp, sure I admired its beauty but there wasn't much nostalgia going for it

Boss wise, Perfect Chaos is the only one that got me going, due to the same reasons as before, plus Shadow's boss just felt so underwhelming for me (though his intro did give me a little, I probably would've had a larger nostalgia rush if the theme was worth listening to)

Edited by Cero

All the stages from the classic era made me extremely nostalgic apart from GHZ since we've seen that stage a lot over the years. Oddly I felt more nostalgia towards 2006 than Adventure because it was my first game on the new console era xD

Seaside Hill: For reasons Soniman went over before.

Chemical Plant: Sonic 2 was the first classic game I played, and Chemical Plant was as far as I could get for at least a month, and was the most memorable stage in the game for me.

The game wasn't a particularly nostalgic trip for me. I mean, I enjoyed every minute of it but after the June demo all nostalgic value kinda of wore off. It was a new game with an old skin. And then minding my own business, I started up the Modern City Escape Co-Op mission with Cream. And that remix... holy shit! I literally grabbed my hair and silently screamed when I heard the You're My Hero/S3D Title Screen music. That was the most nostalgic moment for me, unless you count the initial teaser trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's odd but I actually found the Dreamcast era stuff more nostalgic than the Mega Drive era stuff, and Dreamcast era is 'recent' according to my ageing brain. That City Escape song did it. I never cared for Sonic Heroes but it was really nice to relive the positive parts of that game without all of the stuff that ruined it for me (damn awful kiddie dialogue and voices, so embarrassing...)

I think it was more nostalgic for me because I never really ever stopped playing the Mega Drive games. I mean to this day thanks to the constant re-releases I still enjoy them and replay them, there's never really been a time without them so they're as much a part of my present as they are my past. The Dreamcast games however, well I did pick a Gamecube over the PS2 and Xbox (unlike anybody else I knew, which sucked) but I only had that thing for a few years and then it disappeared in favour of PC gaming and eventually Xbox 360, and I think a period of absence can do a lot for nostalgia. I played the Sonic Adventure games just as much as I did the originals, non-stop, and then I didn't have much of an option other than the PC version of SADX, so when I got to play City Escape and hear that song again it was like a nostalgia overload.

I was less nostalgic for the stages since they were new level design, though a few key moments struck a cord, most notably, playing It Doesn't Matter over Speed Highway really had me craving some SA1 again. Ballon Park's remix, especially during the Classic Tails co-op mission which gave me some memories of Sonic 3.

Then there was the credits,

which, if you look at it as if it were a life montage of classic Sonic living through his life and growing up into his future self (represented by his design changes from SA1 onward) was what made me nostalgic for the game's concept. It would've been a thousand times more awesome if it was an actually cinematic rather than using stock gameplay footage.

The music I found more nostalgic than the stages actually. I cried a few times after hearing the 3d blast/hero mix and rooftop run classic. The cutscene with sonic mentioning secret rings and tails not recognizing green hill was great to.

Is it just me... Or was City Escape not nostalgic at all? Seriously, I don't understand. Everything's there. The music, the boarding in the beginning, the scenery, GUN the Truck... everything. But for whatever reason, I just didn't feel it. Something was missing, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. sad.png Maybe it was the stretched out JPEG background images being replaced by actual building models. I dunno.

And it's weird, because Speed Highway was like, the opposite. Total nostalgia.

I thought City Escape was kind of nostalgic. It certainly did everything right (Especially the Classic music), and re-captured all of the most memorable moments. But like I said, I just don't get that nostalgic about most things from late 2002-onward. (That's when I got my Gamecube and SA2:B. I rented the Dreamcast version when it first came out, but I don't remember much of it)

Sonic 3D remix for sure. Manly tears. What's funny is I never even played this until my teens, but, it's just one of those tunes you know? I guess the fact that it's a lesser known vocal song makes it take you a second to recognise it. You know you love it but not sure why. That pretty much sums up all those nostalgic thoughts one gets over the years but is never able to fully remember how that thing you remember loving really was.

City Escape did everything right visually. The modern remix, I love, but for some reason the "harshness" of it did kind of detract something from the upbeatness of the stage. I think the reason the Classic mix is so loved is because of the Endless Mine portion. Just like the 3D remix it takes you that nostalgic second for your brain to tick over and realise what you're listening to, giving it that distant, timeless effect again.

Other than that, the Shadow battle was also pretty nostalgic, not so much the gameplay but first impression. The visuals were spot on, and the music had this gorgeous tenseness that recaptured the excitement of reaching the end of Sonic Adventure 2 which has been diluted over the years by the many many playthroughs of the game I've partaken in.

Chemical Plant reminded me of Sonic Heroes for some reason. That was nostalgic for me.

Sky Sanctuary was nostalgic because, in my youth, I only ever got to that level once.

Edited by Menorah in Oil Ocean Zone

Sonic Spinball's Toxic Cave remix put a smile on my face when I heard it.

City Escape for some reason made me have some nostalgic felling even though I never played the original by myself... weird, huh?

Chemical Plant was very nostalogic for me and Seaside Hill as well (I was so happy to see the original seaside hill intro recreated).

Man did this game's Nostalgia bring an enormous smile on my face. A lot of it was so overwhelming that many manly tears spread. The one remix that had the most manly tears was Balloon Park on the Classic Tails Challange Mission. Oh that moment. I felt like I was 5 years old again. I could go on forever about how much I loved the nostalgia and my favorite moments, but it would take ages.

Edited by BlueEagle21

The most nostalgic has to be the music remixes. Without a doubt. I mean holy crap, I wish that they made a THIRD album that contained even MORE remixes. Ice Cap. Terminal Velocity. Mazuri. Sweet Mountain. Mr. Unsmiley. The Doomsday (3DS remix? lolnothxokaybai). The gotdamn Spring Yard. The list goes on...

The gotdamn Spring Yard.

What? What?? WHAT?? Why the hell haven't been informed of this and why isn't it on Youtube yet!?

What? What?? WHAT?? Why the hell haven't been informed of this and why isn't it on Youtube yet!?

|Because it doesn't exist. He was stating remixes he'd like to hear.

|Because it doesn't exist. He was stating remixes he'd like to hear.

Poo, I missed the words "I wish". Well, I wish it too. That's one of my favorite Sonic tracks ever, I was really sad that it didn't make it into the game.

Right when I heard the main Jingle; classic Sonic, and modern Sonic side by side. Even better was Chemical Plant zone.... Man that purple water has taken one too many lives from me in sonic 2. Ahh memories.

Seaside Hill was really doing it for me. When I started up that level, I guess I just didn't know what I was in for when I started it up because when I saw that Sonic Heroes beach-running scene at the start of the game recreated, I almost couldn't believe it. It was like I was looking at those shiny Heroes models with Tails and Knuckles running alongside him, then I blinked and realized everything was in HD, and I got my bearings again.

I had also never been on the bottom path in that level, but a friend of mine played through the level and found an area that was recreated from Ocean Palace (it was the dark room with the cannon, that also happens to be the end of Team Rose's level). I had played the game at least twice over and never seen that, so when I saw him enter a place like that, I had a freaking heart attack. (I was yelling at him "OH MY GOD YOU REMEMBER THIS ROOM?! THAT'S THE ROOM WITH THE CANNON, AND THE... OH!" He was just like "Yep." since he had played Heroes recently, so none of it really fazed him. Feh. >_>)

I also gotta be honest... Rooftop Run did it for me, too. It was three years ago, I had gotten the game, and I was hyped. I stayed in my bed and played the HELL out of that game. It was so much fun, and it was the game that got me back into Sonic for the Modern Era. It had the best graphics out of anything I had owned at the time, and I just got such a rush playing it. Rooftop Run was one of my favorite levels in the game, and I remember playing it over and over, so when I got to in Generations, I just had such a familiar feeling... It was great. (Only Act 2, though. Classic's act pissed me off and by the time I got good at it, the nostalgia had worn off for it. Act 2 still has it, especially with that Clocktower grinding scene coming back... Loved it.) Seeing Rooftop Run's segment in the credits also gave me nostalgia when I saw Unleashed's "READY... GO!" font. I kinda miss it, to be honest.

I dunno how City Escape wasn't nostalgic. The music alone put me in that groove. I felt like I was in an acid trip the entire time.

I suppose City Escape being fifty times more expansive would kill the nostalgia, and being able to boost on the board could do that as well. Speed Highway had a major overhaul too, but that stage for the most part was still just a straight line compared to City Escape.