Awoo.

What did you find nostalgic?

Speederino

Crisis city had to be one of the biggest moments for me. When it was first loaded I started that I was thinking of it's plce in history. How it started the modern era out. Then i played it.HOLY SHIT. In almost every was it kicked the originals ass(Minus the size) The references to he biggest part of the level were there for both Sonic's.(Yes the Tornado. Although i didn't see that many silver references) The Music mixed in all three parts, The less bugged level The troll post I WAS AMAZED. how it kept the soul of the original but in a positive way amazed me. Speed highway and RR also along with the PC boss Got me going down memory lane.

• Thumbs Up 3

Literally every moment except one big one. Every fucking moment in this game was tearfully nostalgic except one.

The Metal Sonic fight.

Mostly because I hadn't grown up with it or even fully played through CD until like I was 15, and I hated every fucking second. The original race wasn't the best boss ever either so it didn't leave the giant impression it did with everyone else. I'm glad they made it, you know, an actual fight so it wasn't just hold-right-jump-sometimes.

So. I think I know why City Escape isn't that nostalgic.

For starters, the graphics make it really bright-- maybe too bright. Look at these.

sonic-adventure-2-dc-ingame-45496.jpg

a4ad3eb9e453963073a5bf74a2e4e2a7.jpg

The lighting makes the road almost white unless there's a shadow cast. But the level look beautiful. Aside from something like graphics (Speed Highway is blue and I still love it and feel the nostalgia, although I think it looks ten times as awesome now), I think the biggest factor is that...

...it's too quiet. The original City Escape had that big "SHING!!" on the loading screen while they told you to escape the military pursuit, and as soon as the music started, you heard that bass immediately followed by "WOO!" You hit the ground, and the next thing you heard was "Attention all units. Suspect seen heading south. Block all major roads and capture the subject." And every time you hit a jump you'd hear Sonic go "Yeah!" or "Ya-ho!".

Now, you have a really quiet loading screen (and instead of "Escape the military pursuit!" you get "When you take damage, you'll drop the rings you've collected." >_>), and the new City Escape is a lot more quiet. I like the song! But the opening base is a lot quieter and the lyrics come in a lot later. Sonic is also dead silent in this game, except for the "Huh" whenever he does something, or the occasional "All right!" which is also really quiet. The boost also kills a lot of the music's sound, and I almost wish they had made an exception for this track and done something different for when you boost. The whole thing just robs it of a lot of its original personality, killing an otherwise very nostalgic track.

...Now if only I could say the same for Omochao... (I had the little robot turned off, making the level even more quiet.)

The badniks got to me pretty good. I thought I would be prepared for them, after seeing a couple of them re-spawned between Colors and Sonic 4, but there really is no substitute for the Chemical Plant Grabbers and the EggRobo's of Sky Sanctuary. Even the Iblis beasties were fun to see again. I always love it when the devs go the extra mile and design stage specific badniks, but to get that on top of all the throwbacks was a real treat.

I also think the music was a great place to get lost in. Hearing Super Sonic Racing and some of the classic jingles from the Genesis multilayer stages instantly put me on notice. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent racing to Balloon Park and that song just rushed those memories right back.... also they re-mixed For True Story which made me very happy.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1