Awoo.

Duke Nukem Forever

Patticus

I really must wonder what bizarre cosmic curse kept Duke Nukem Forever in development hell for like a decade.

They kept switching from one engine to another... At first they wanted to expand on the original engine of Duke 3D, then they decided to use the Quake engine, and then even later they decided to use the Unreal engine, and then probably yet some other engine which I don't even know about.

Switching from one engine to another involves doing several things from scratch... Such as importing the resources all over again, and redesigning previously designed levels all over again.

It's a waste of time. But it was their decision and they must have their reasons.

Bah, all these screens and the video just feel like salt is being poured in my wounds!

And it hurts like hell...

http://twitter.com/apogeesoftware

New press release from Apogee Software regarding Duke Nukem coming next week.

9:40 AM May 9th from web

Some people around the nets are now starting to think that while 3D Realms genuinely went down, DNF is still being worked under a new company name, e.g. Apogee that was revitalised last year, and that the (majority of the) leaks have been simple PR to shoot down the gaming punchline reputation.

+ about countless other conspiracy theories.

Personally I don't even give a toss if it's a PR stunt, I want my Duke.

Edited by Flint

That could just as easily be about the Duke Nukem Trilogy, which Apogee is still working on.

30ueeq9.jpg

If you ask me it's about the Trilogy, no question. It's possible that DNF will be revived but I think people should stop getting their hopes up TBH.

That could just as easily be about the Duke Nukem Trilogy, which Apogee is still working on.

30ueeq9.jpg

It could make sense but even then they could might as well say "Duke Nukem Trilogy" and not just "Duke Nukem" the character. Everyone knows about the trilogy already but oh well you never know.

If my laptop won't meet the intended hardware requirements for DNF then I will proceed to obtain a ROM of Duke Nukem Trilogy.

Meanwhile, I will try to obtain a ROM of Duke Nukem: Land Of The Babes.

There's so many options and roads open to me, and Duke is everywhere. :D

If my laptop won't meet the intended hardware requirements for DNF

It won't. I'd be lucky if mine could and mine is a hell of a lot more powerful than yours is.

then I will proceed to obtain a ROM of Duke Nukem Trilogy.

Have fun with DS or PSP emulation. I, on the other hand, will buy the trilogy to support a developer taking the King. (:

IIRC one of the reasons they've been stating over the years is that they worked so much in every detail that after a while of production, their graphical engine was terribly outdated and needed replacing which then lead to development delays.

Can't be the only reason, but definitely one pretty logical.

Oh, okay, I guess it must have been a vicious cycle of sorts.

Am i the only one who's just staring at this over and over?

LOL, I stared at it last night for several minutes. It's funny how back in 1996 Duke didn't know such vulgar gestures. He's a real big boy now... If you count the years from 1991 to 2009 then you'll realize that he's 18, but according to the plot he's like 30-something. It's totally hilarious when you look at it that way. :D

support a developer taking the King. (:

* I own a Duke Nukem t-shirt.

* I own a Duke Nukem mouse-pad.

* Duke3D was purchased as a present for my 13th birthday.

* I purchased an official add-on in 1997.

And anyways, there's so many other ways in which you can show support asides from the financial way.

'The King' will still be alive even if the actual developers don't develop anything. Like I said earlier, never underestimate the power of a fan community. ;)

Edited by DarkJedi188

And anyways, there's so many other ways in which you can show support asides from the financial way.

I wasn't aware that companies develop games not expecting to make any sort of a profit margin from them whatsoever. You've opened my eyes DarkJedi188, I applaud you.

Wait, what? Sales of past merchandise and games will not push a company to purchase the rights to Duke Nukem - the sales of the upcoming Trilogy will demonstrate the worth the character still holds in the industry. Let's look at the facts regarding your statement for a second however: 3D Realms went bankrupt. That's a financial inability to fund itself. :u

Hey I am the only one who thinks that Duke Nukem: Time to Kill and Land of the Babes actually kicked ass even though they were rip offs of Tomb Raider II!!!! :D

I wasn't aware that companies develop games not expecting to make any sort of a profit margin from them whatsoever. You've opened my eyes DarkJedi188, I applaud you.

Companies like ID Software and 3D Realms have deliberately made their products open-source in order to encourage the fans to build upon them in any way imagineable.

By doing this, they have automatically and consciously placed themselves at a possible risk of losing future profits.

And with all due respect, I really hope that you weren't being sarcastic in that last sentence. I actually enjoy helping other people to see things from a different perspective which they might not have noticed before.

I respect your opinions without mocking you, so I expect the same in return.

Sales of past merchandise and games will not push a company to purchase the rights to Duke Nukem - the sales of the upcoming Trilogy will demonstrate the worth the character still holds in the industry.

You're totally missing my point. OK, try to look at it this way...

You have the skill of drawing skins for forums, correct?

Nobody pays you money for drawing those skins, correct?

You have a passion for Duke, correct?

Well then, why not combine your skill with your passion and sign up for a volunteer project where you could be drawing new textures/tiles or character skins for a future amateur Duke game?

Of course, you won't recieve any profit at all, but wouldn't you be glad that you're doing what you love to do and simultaneosuly brightening up the lives of other people who are craving the exact same thing that you are craving?

Edited by DarkJedi188

If you have a passion for Duke you should buy the games. all these fan projects wouldn't exist if no one bought Duke Nukem 3D and that fact that 3D reals are broke should prove that what the Duke needs -if we are ever to see Forever released- is games sales.

DNF cost money to make. A lot of it. Every game you emulate is loss of money for the people that made it, and emulating Trilogy isn't going to make things better.

And with all due respect, I really hope that you weren't being sarcastic in that last sentence. I actually enjoy helping other people to see things from a different perspective which they might not have noticed before.

I respect your opinions without mocking you, so I expect the same in return.

Your are incorrect for applying your perspective to this situation. It is the wrong time and place for saying that you will emulate the game to support the franchise.

You're totally missing my point. OK, try to look at it this way...

You have the skill of drawing skins for forums, correct?

Nobody pays you money for drawing those skins, correct?

High Definition games such as Duke Nukem Forever cost multiple millions of dollars to develop. Games with a twelve year development cycle with no chance of income during those years (from that game) also cost a fair bit of money. Having a 'passion' for Duke and supporting him in this case are two separate ideals because you're claiming you will emulate the games rather than support and are using modifications to older games as an excuse to debate against me about it.

If 3D Realms were trying to lose profits from releasing their games as open source, they'd be releasing the source code when the game was shipped. Duke Nukem 3D's source was released in 2003 while the game was released in 1996.

DNF cost money to make. A lot of it. Every game you emulate is loss of money for the people that made it, and emulating Trilogy isn't going to make things better.

If a new Duke game comes out on the PC platform then I can purchase it just as proudly as I had purchased Duke3D in the last decade.

But when we're looking at games which are released exclusively for consoles without being ported to the PC then I can't buy those because the person in charge of my family's budget and spending doesn't allow me to buy those and doesn't allow me to clutter the livingroom with a bunch of consoles.

When I was 9 years old I actually wanted a real Sega Genesis instead of an emulator, ya know?

So don't be tempted to think that I'm doing this because I enjoy robbing people or something. I'm doing this because I have no other choice.

Thank you.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings and ends any pointless arguments.

So don't be tempted to think that I'm doing this because I enjoy robbing people or something. I'm doing this because I have no other choice.

Still doesn't disbar from the fact that it is illegal and that in the long run not benefiting any cause what-so-ever, and certinly not supporting the Duke Nukem Franchise.

The only way round it (and in theory making it not illegal) would be to buy the games anyway and then download versions for emulation as it is not illegal to download a back up copy of a game (yet anyway) and that way you would be still supporting the franchise.

Still doesn't disbar from the fact that it is illegal and that in the long run not benefiting any cause what-so-ever, and certinly not supporting the Duke Nukem Franchise.

The only way round it (and in theory making it not illegal) would be to buy the games anyway and then download versions for emulation as it is not illegal to download a back up copy of a game (yet anyway) and that way you would be still supporting the franchise.

Support =/= buy everything and give money.

Support = To promote interests

Supporting a franchise from a fan perspective is often interpreted as; enjoy the stuff, get the stuff, holding hope for more, tell people about it, get them interested in it, repeat. Supporting is made through many different ways and no way is more right than the other since it all in the end comes down to personal opinion, and we live in the age of "I don't give a fuck", so go figure.

Support =/= buy everything and give money.

Support = To promote interests

Supporting a franchise from a fan perspective is often interpreted as; enjoy the stuff, get the stuff, holding hope for more, tell people about it, get them interested in it, repeat. Supporting is made through many different ways and no way is more right than the other since it all in the end comes down to personal opinion, and we live in the age of "I don't give a fuck", so go figure.

Of course there are other ways of supporting the franchise, but piracy is illegal, and pirating a game does not help the company was my point.

And I'm not exactly going to allow piracy in one case because that's how things snowball. I was only suggesting a legal method of obtaining what Darkjedi was suggesting.

Anyway tis getting off topic, back to 3D realms.

(P.S. off topic slightly but sometimes the fanbase can do more harm than good)

No other choice? Wut? The DS and PSP are pretty damn cheap right now... if you're at all serious about upporting the Duke Nukem franchise you'll buy the damn games.

In no way does emulating a game support it, other than getting more fans. You know what else works? Telling people to buy LittleBigPlanet even though you don't have a PS3 yourself. No piracy involved. Using word of mouth as an excuse to pirate is... well it's not logical. If anything, the developer will be disappointed with you. It's like this:

-EA doesn't mind if people pirate their games, because the grand majority still buy them, which is a huge audience

-Independant developers like 2D Boy and Frontier trust their fans to support them by buying the games, they need all they can get.

Who do you think the Duke Nukem developers are closer to? In this hard financial period, I'd say they're more like an indie than a mainstream. Support them god dammit.

Who do you think the Duke Nukem developers are closer to? In this hard financial period, I'd say they're more like an indie than a mainstream.

Indeed. I wish they could look at Sega as a rolemodel. If Sonic can have some comicbook series and some cartoon shows then why can't Duke?

I'd glady buy some issues of a Duke comic.

At one time I heard that Hollywood was planning to make a Duke Nukem movie... But now it turns out like that could've been either a rumour or a cancelled idea.

I'd totally buy a movie ticket if Duke hit the big screen. Seriously.

Edited by DarkJedi188

Looks like something may have to happen -

We had a feeling that the shutdown of 3D Realms was not the end of the Duke Nukem Forever saga . . . and we were right. Just not in a good way. Bloomberg reports that the game's publisher Take Two Interactive has filed a lawsuit against 3D Realms and its parent company Apogee, claiming that the developer had breached its contract in its handling of the long-in-development shooter.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday, states, "Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever. Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever." The story states that Take Two paid $12 million in 2000 for the game's publishing rights and the two parties entered into another agreement in 2007. The story does not state what damages Take Two is asking for in the lawsuit.

Hopefully this turns out good and they finish the game without kicking everyone in the ass.

Looks like something may have to happen -

Hopefully this turns out good and they finish the game without kicking everyone in the ass.

Sueing a company that's bankrupt.

That's really clever.

Sueing a company that's bankrupt.

That's really clever.

Apogee still have money, if I were Take 2 I'd try and get as much of it back as possible.