Awoo.

Duke Nukem Forever

Patticus

I guess it would make sense to sue for the game assets and at least walk away with something to show for your $12million. Whether the game could still be be implemented from those assets is open to question - surely Take Two would be better off suing for ownership of the Duke brand itself? $12million says they've paid for that right. That way, a few years from now they could at least have a totally new game developed and the brand reinvented from the debris and fallout of this unholy debacle.

I've never seen Take Two as a company with that much sense Pat, they'll just take the money and run. They tend to go in for a lot of licensed games now anyway.

Edited by Skullivan Gerk

I wonder what they'll take?

This can either be good or bad for us a gamers... I hope this somehow turns around into DNF getting released.

I've never seen Take Two as a company with that much sense Pat, they'll just take the money and run. They tend to go in for a lot of licensed games now anyway.

OK, who the hell are these Take Two people anyways? I mean, I've never even heard of them until reading this topic/thread right here.

I've known Apogee since I was 10 years old, and I've known 3D Realms since I was 13 years old, but never ever have I heard of these new wackos.

That's it. Now I'm really confused. This is such a mess. :(

Edited by DarkJedi188

Just like Doug TenNapel and the whole Shiny/Atari mess amirite?

Take Two own Rockstar. Yes, that Rockstar of infamey.

^Oh, OK. Thanks for opening my eyes now. :D I've actually heard of an FPS called Serious Sam many times before, but I never noticed that it was developed by them.

Now I'll remember it once and for all.

Asides from that, I can see that they mostly developed games of genres which I never liked, and mostly released them for the Playstation console which I never had. Hence why I didn't know anything about them until now.

(I'm not much of a mass consumer, despite living in North America. Flashy advertisements rarely force me to want to obtain a product. This must be my Soviet DNA. ;) )

Anyways, whatever they choose to do now, I hope that they won't ruin the image and character of Duke.

Edited by DarkJedi188

Miller: We never saw T2’s $12 million

3D Realms boss Scott Miller’s said the developer never saw the $12 million Take-Two’s claiming was dropped on the failed development of Duke Nukem Forever.

“No. We didn’t get a penny of that money,” said the exec, talking in this Shacknews comments thread.

“This, along with so much else, is 100 percent spin, being eaten up by those who have no clue whatsoever.”

Take-Two claims that it is owed “millions of dollars” by 3D Realms for breaking an agreement to finish the game.

The publisher also requested a copy of the existing Duke Nukem Forever source and object code “to ensure the code is preserved and remains unharmed during the pendency of this lawsuit.”

http://www.vg247.com/2009/05/16/miller-we-...t2s-12-million/

So now there's embezzlement involved. Marvellous.

I love it when things get complicated and interesting.... Gotta say I never expected it to go this way.

DNF; previously the world's greatest Vaporware, now to become the world's greatest financial paradox.

Glorious. Inb4 another 13 years down the drain.

Edited by Otsego Amigo

Well, at least them asking for the DNF source code and such kind of assures they want to the game to be finished.

And you'd trust a group of people that's claiming back money from people who may have never got it in the first place?

And you'd trust a group of people that's claiming back money from people who may have never got it in the first place?

Times like this I really wish that art could be done purely for art's sake rather than for bags of money... But sadly, that strategy would create chaos and disorder in the long-run, because society is based on greed greed greed. :(

*sigh*

Edited by DarkJedi188

3D Realms not closing after all

Seems 3D Realms isn't closing after all and will still be making Duke games. 3D Realms are saying they just laid off the Duke Nukem Forever team and will not be closing. 3D Realms also still holds the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

Link -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=215275

....Wow. We're gonna be waiting Forever to see what happens! ;)

Get it? Forever? You know? 'Cos this is Duke Nukem Forever? Right? Right...!?

Edited by SuperLink

So, 3DR is still alive... But Duke Nukem Forever might not happen anymore, or they'll just scale it down. Man, this is confusing.

Edit: Oh, now I get it. It looks like they've gone the same way as Oddworld Inhabitants; creating concepts and designs, then passing them onto other companies. Well, I hope it works out for them.

Edited by Skullivan Gerk

I think Duke Nukem Forever is still going to happen, also I think it'll continue with a new team using everything the old team had, but the new guys will be given the task of making sure it doesn't miss any more deadlines. The old team evidently weren't too hot on that sort of thing.

My God. This has turned into the biggest pile of 'Do Not Want' since the Phantom.

3DR really should just shut up and give up the ghost already.

• They spent 12 years jerking around publishers, publishing-rights-holders (T2) and (worst of all) the fans,
  • Acted like the biggest prima donnas whenever T2 or someone wanted to see some progress on the project (which, let's be fair, isn't the biggest ask in the world when you spend $12m on securing the rights to publish)
  • Acted like babies when T2 told them they weren't going to give them any more money (claiming they spent $20m of their own cash is a strawman when you spend twelve years on a project and far outstay the welcome of your publisher)

• After grossly over-valuing their project that many people had long since forgotten about.
    • [*]Obliquely send a goodbye message, inferring their studios are closing...

[*]... Only to say 'We're not dead!' a week later, in the worst and most obvious ruse created to try and drum up what little positive support they have left. Which backfired on them.

If T2 don't get the rights to Duke Nukem by way of 'Fire Sale' (which, let's be fair, is the only way anyone will pick up the project now), then DNF will never be made. No company worth their salt is going to want to touch that thing with a 100 foot barge pole, unless you have invested as much money in it as T2 have to date.

Sure, T2 may have underhandedly not made a deal just so they can try and grab the rights themselves, but right now I have absolutely no sympathy for a studio as incompetent as 3D Realms. At least T2 can make a game at the end of the day; 3DR would have simply kept going and going and going no matter how much money they received. The complaint that they hardly got bugger all funding is a distraction from the main point - they spent TWELVE YEARS on one game, and expected to survive on that basis (they never even finished Prey, and even that took roughly 11 years to be seen on shelves - I highly doubt the DNF delay is a 'love of the franchise' issue and more one of sheer incompetence).

Maybe as an IP house I won't have to listen to G.B's bullcrap anymore. What a waste of noise that guy is.

Man, they should've handed the publishing rights/liscense of DNF to Raven Software.

The dudes over at Raven are very organized, very determined, and they never miss any deadlines.

Seriously, I can't think of a single game by Raven Software which took longer than 2 years to release.

Just because Raven keeps borrowing the engines of ID Software rather than creating their own engines doesn't mean that they deserve less glory.

In fact, Raven deserve a whole lot of glory because they always extend the features and upgrade the engines which are given to them by ID.

ID always had their engines half-way polished while Raven put in the extra effort to make them shine.

If DNF is handed over to Raven then it WILL get finished... In less than 2 years.

Guaranteed.

Man, they should've handed the publishing rights/liscense of DNF to Raven Software.

The dudes over at Raven are very organized, very determined, and they never miss any deadlines.

Seriously, I can't think of a single game by Raven Software which took longer than 2 years to release.

Just because Raven keeps borrowing the engines of ID Software rather than creating their own engines doesn't mean that they deserve less glory.

In fact, Raven deserve a whole lot of glory because they always extend the features and upgrade the engines which are given to them by ID.

ID always had their engines half-way polished while Raven put in the extra effort to make them shine.

If DNF is handed over to Raven then it WILL get finished... In less than 2 years.

Guaranteed.

What?

Who?

What?Who?

Obviously you're not much of a PC gamer if you've never ever heard of Raven Software before.

^That's an underlined Wikipedia link. Click and read and you will know.

OK, for anyone who owns Duke 3D and is mourning that the character is fading away, just go to the Duke Repository.

There you will learn how to keep the Duke alive and witness how the other fans are keeping him alive. Everything is at your disposal. So use it.

All that it takes is a little initiative and a little bit of will-power to learn something new.

• 7 months later...

A rumor I've just heard from Wha-Chow (From Mag Fest), the Voice actor of Duke, told that he could not talk about the game. He then hinted at what that could mean. Still in the works? Hopefuly.