Awoo.

Jack Keroauc's first novel gets published

Mick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/25/the-sea-is-my-brother_n_1113455.html

I find it very interesting that it is being published. If it was really a "crock of shit", why wasn't it burned? Imagine you're some author, you're dissatisfied with your first work, can it and then it gets published many years later. Some of you might be interested with this. I am interested in it since I'm into books nowadays and that's good. I remember doing a presentation about him and other guys like him in some high school class 10 years ago.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mick

• Mollfie

• RhikoruFa-La-La-La-♪

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't surprise me that it's been published, seeing as he's dead that would be left up to whoever is in charge of his estate or his publisher or whoever.

I'm also not surprised he didn't burn it or something because as a writer I still have copies of the first things I wrote and even though I don't like them and think a lot of it is terrible I wouldn't get rid of them entirely because they have sentimental value to me and to others. Plus one day I might want them for some reason.

I don't know a single writer who doesn't think that their writing is awful, often right up until it gets published and even then I know writers who still cringe and wish they'd had just one more day to go over it. So although he said it was awful it might not be, I haven't read it so I wouldn't know.

It reminds me of the first novel I started writing when I was around 12-15 or so. One day I just binge wrote and got 40 pages...

Then I read it, thought about ways to save it, but ultimately scrapped it. I keep EVERYTHING I write though, since I know someday I might be able to dig through it, salvage concepts, and utilize them later. There's one idea I've been working on for the past 2 years that's just taking for-freakin-ever to get off the ground, since I'm never completely happy with it.

OPENING CHAPTERS ARE SO...URRRRRRRRR NO SATISFACTION.

Anyways, this is pretty interesting and I appreciate the post, I'd wonder if some people will read it and find it to be a work they enjoy even though the author hated it. The beauty of perspective, ah?