Awoo.

The SSMB School/University Thread; Also a Homework Help Topic

-Robin-

Y has to equal whatever x equals to, so, in |y+x|, if X was 2, it should equal (2,4), with 2 representing x, and 4 representing y...if I did my math right because that's all we've done in my Algebra class for the past 2 months........

Okay, so how would you graph that onto a number line?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the names of a few professional political science research journals and books off the top of their heads? I'm needing to complete a preliminary bibliography that requires sources from such material, and I'm wondering what some go-to sources would be.

I'm trying to answer the question of "do candidates differ from their opponents in policies or not while competing for election," if that helps thin the herd of go-to sources, so to speak.

Incoming Info Dump:

In Freire’s essay, he states that “true communication gives human life meaning.” Does he have any flaws in his argument? Write a minimum three page essay using examples from the text or outside sources if necessary.

The theme for this semester’s class has been adapted from the first Assignment Sequence in our primary text, Ways of Reading. Titled “The Aims of Education,” the sequence asks us to question what we most likely take for granted or experience without deep thought or analysis. Most of us have spent good portions of our time in school, mostly because we are required by state law to attend school from kindergarten through high school. In college, students often attend through some degree of choice. However, simply choosing to attend does not always lead us to analyze our assumptions and expectations about our educational experiences.

We began our educational experience in Writing 1 this semester with a brief reflection on how we came to be the literate people we are. Through reading and writing, each participant in our co-created world has come to some understanding of how her/his journey to and through literacy began and was or was not nurtured. In the second assigned essay, “The ‘Banking’ Concept of Education,” Paulo Freire invites the reader to break free from the usual, to release one’s self from being “trapped inside habits of thought” (705). One way to break free from education’s usual pattern is to take control of the process through which one learns and demonstrates that learning.

A demand is usually made of students to demonstrate the depth of learning for a particular topic by completing an assignment with explicit expectations expressed of what the finished product will contain. I am inviting you to take control of your second essay assignment by asking you to reject the model where a topic is thrust upon you. For the remainder of this section of the sequence, you will work closely with your assigned group members to become “engaged in inquiry and creative transformation” (326).

Together, you will prepare your group’s essay prompt and the guidelines your group should follow to complete the assignment. The first step will be to create the assignment together, and once your assignment has been approved by your peers, each student will write his or her own essay following the guidelines set forth by the group. Freire’s thoughts on education and his philosophy about how students can learn best will guide the construction of your essay. As the text’s authors explain, “Once you’ve prepared the writing assignment, write the essay that you think would best fulfill it” (330).

Works Cited

Bartholomae, David and Anthony Petrosky, ed. Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers. 9th

ed. Boston: Bedford, 2011. Print.

Your essay is due Monday, October 29, and you must have at least three versions, or your grade will be lowered. Two complete typed rough drafts are due on Wednesday, October 17 when a draft will be the focus of a Writers Workshop, and a polished draft will be the focus of a second workshop on Wednesday, October 24. The final draft must be typed, double-spaced, and in 12-pt. Times New Roman font. Your essay should have an interesting title and be relatively free of grammatical and mechanical errors. All sources, such as quotes from essay we’ve read, must be properly documented using MLA style.

There is a girl who lives on my floor in my dorm who is trying to sleep with everyone on the university's boy's soccer team by the end of the semester. And she's bragging to EVERYONE about how she already has 3 down. She's gross.

Oh, and her catchphrase for Friday nights before she goes out is "Well, I've got places to go, beer to drink, boys to f*ck! Later!".

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

Edited by Sapphire
  • Thumbs Up 1

Her parents must be so proud of her to spend all that money for tuition so she can do such things.

Dorm life is pretty meh. There's hardly any space to move around in. Luckily, the roommate I had was a big video game and music nut like I was, so we connected on some levels.

I'm currently living in an apartment all to myself about 5 miles away from the campus. It's pretty cool, though finding a parking spot on campus can be a pain in the ass.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently living in an apartment all to myself about 5 miles away from the campus. It's pretty cool, though finding a parking spot on campus can be a pain in the ass.

Get a bike? After all 5 miles is not a lot if you're on a bike

I really hope I did good on that essay I just did for English...if I get an A on it, I get an A for the quarter and anything else...well, eh.

I am so relieved. After being given the assignment of doing a proposal for my IS project in February, I finally got it handed in and approved yesterday...and the deadline was Friday. Now I won't get kicked off the module!

Got a bit awkward after I handed it in though; I went back to my non-official supervisor (yeah, most of the delays of handing it in was due to having TWO people to correspond to for everything) and told him that it was approved, so then we went through a bit of a plan for doing the progress report due in next Friday. After I've left the office and gone to wait or the lift, the supervisor comes out with the person he was supposed to be seeing next because he needs a quick drink (bear in mind that he's being talking to people for two hours straight) and they also wait for the lift because it was that slow. From what I heard while they were still in the office, the person was asking for advice on their progress report as well and hadn't done anything on it yet. As we're all entering the lift, the supervisor turns round to the other person and says "Y'know, Annie here has already done half of her progress report, and she only handed in her proposal today!" The other person is obviously a little dissuaded by this as they just reply with a weak "Really...", and I'm just standing there staring at them like a deer in the headlights.

Moral: You think awkwardness is all over when you leave the immature peers of school and/or college behind? Think again.

• 4 weeks later...

For your third assignment, “write an essay in which you take up the invitation to engage Wallace’s argument about U.S. English, about SWE, about rhetoric, and about the function and importance of a writing class. You will need to work directly in reference to what Wallace says in the text. In other words, you will need to work with sentences and examples” (651). For this essay assignment, you will need to formulate a specific claim and argument about these interconnected topics, and you will also need to incorporate at least two sources to support that claim and argument.

• A strong thesis/claim that is supported by your discussion and the inclusion of textual evidence;
  • Analysis and discussion of the concepts and theories related to SWE, rhetoric, and college writing classes;
  • Incorporation of research material;
  • Appropriate in-text citations and a correctly formatted Works Cited page.

I wish I could understand whether they want me to argue for or against him, or whatever the hell I am supposed to do...

"take up the invitation to engage Wallace’s argument" sounds like you're working to counter his argument. So, being against it sounds like a pretty safe bet.

I don't know who this Wallace is, but it sounds like your job is to construct an argument against the establishment of a writing class. If Wallace is arguing exactly that, however, then you need to present an argument for such a class.

-----------

Just finished a presentation with a group for a Political Science course. Said project had one member who was missing and absent for 90% of the time we were to work together - including today, the day of the presentation - and a student who dropped out before the project began. So, me and three others had to work a presentation for 75 minutes. Luckily, we managed to do that just fine, with myself managing 20 minutes of the presentation with just 8 slides on the Powerpoint. I'd like to say we did excellent, given the circumstances.

Now I have to complete 2 10-page reports for Monday and Tuesday, with the later one for said class. Should be fun.

Edited by Joshua

"take up the invitation to engage Wallace’s argument" sounds like you're working to counter his argument. So, being against it sounds like a pretty safe bet.

I don't know who this Wallace is, but it sounds like your job is to construct an argument against the establishment of a writing class. If Wallace is arguing exactly that, however, then you need to present an argument for such a class.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm writing a test on UK today in Geography class! Just thought I'd let you guys know. Really really really geared up to ace it, after chatting with British people on a British forum for like half a decade! biggrin.png

And yeah, thank goodness that I don't live in a dorm. I keep hearing crazy stories about them. How the hell can people get good grades while living in such environments?!

Last month people invited me to smoke weed with them there, but I refused. I'd rather just help them with their homework.

I just take a 45-minute commute by public transit. And I really like how my course schedule for the semester is. I have a 5-hour gap between my classes on Tuesdays, so I basically manage to finish all of my essays on campus during that time frame, and then I just go home to read ahead in the textbooks for the next week while the assignments are already out of the way.

So that essay I was talking about earlier: I got a 100% on it! (Bit late, but still). Man, that made me really happy that day.

• 5 months later...

Hi there! Sorry for revamping this thread...but I think this topic is the most appropiate.

I'd like to enroll in a job offer and they ask a few questions in english (It's a brittish school here in Madrid), so I want to know if the grammar of my answers are well written, without any error.

Why do you want to join King's College?

I'm searching for a job compatible with my academic studies and I find this job very exciting because I always enjoyed the lab work. also this opportunity would allow me to use the skills I got in laboratory practices in college.

What do you think? Is it fine? O:

I think the second line should be edited like this;

Also, this opportunity would allow me to use the skills I have in laboratory practices in college.

I think the rest is fine, but don't take my word for it. Ask other people to spell check your written stuff if you're not too sure about it. =)

Anyway, I don't think I've ever posted in this topic before...I'm in my third year now of BA Fine Art. I study at Plymouth University and I'll be finished very soon. I only have two things to do now; my final project (two canvases that will be stretched for me tomorrow) and my professional portfolio which is a website on Weebly. The paintings I can finish in about a week and a half, starting next Tuesday. The portfolio however is going to be a bit tougher. I will probably post it here at a later date and ask for suggestions on how to make it look even better.   

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm searching for a job compatible with my academic studies and I find this job very exciting because I always enjoyed the lab work. also this opportunity would allow me to use the skills I got in laboratory practices in college.

I think it should be like this: "I'm searching for a job compatible with my academic studies and I find this job exciting because I've always enjoyed lab work. Also, this opportunity would allow me to use the skills I acquired through laboratory practices in college."

• Thumbs Up 1

I would recommend watching the Khan Academy videos as it is very helpful and he paces slowly so it should be easy to follow.

Oh Gees, School, I haven't attended for like 2 Years and I'm going back to College to redo my A-levels (well a vocational degree so I can get to Uni!). I didn't do very well due to a lot of things going on in my life at the time (death, thrown out, relocation, baby) and flunked completely :(

So yeah going back to college (at 19 AND I have to pay!) hopefully I can actually get into Uni after this and do the course I wanted!

My biggest advice to ANYONE in GCSE, A Level or anything really is to work hard and don't let things distract you, you can have a gap year to mess around in (and believe me it's fun, but can get boring after 2 years!) but don't mess up your future for something you can have another time. I have SOOO many regrets that I didn't do well and I mostly blame myself.

So yeah, work hard, seriously it'll be worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a sort of pickle here. I've had this set plan ever since I've entered community college:

• Take two years of general education classes
  • Get my AA degree
  • Transfer to the University after completing prerequisites for my two intended majors (Computer Science and Philosophy

Everything seemed great and all, despite my rather mediocre 3.2 GPA. I had a plan and an intended major where I could actually get a decent job. Then my parents sat down with me and told me that they were curious if I really wanted to go into Computers. Apparently I've shown little to no interest in computers in their eyes, while I've been coming home every other day babbling about the latest ethical discussion I've had in class.

I guess they're right to an extent; I no almost next to nothing about the inner mechanics of computers and the technical terms that accompany them (I couldn't point out the difference between two $500 dollar computers besides the difference in number of cores or the operating system), programming proved boring and monotonous to me, and I've never had a desire to build my own PC.

Philosophy on the other hand... I think I like it enough that despite not knowing nearly enough about the subject I could find endless fascination in the writings of John Stuart Mill, Hegal, Thomas More, etc. I actually went through my textbook and took notes on the confusing history of conservatism and liberalism for the fun of it.

Here comes my question though; should I drop the Computer Science major and focus solely on Philosophy? I know Philosophy has next to nothing in the career department and Computer Science is one of the main fields they tell you to enter besides business, but I guess I don't seem as interested in it ( I sort of figured I'd learn a lot about it in my next two years of college after fufilling the prerequisites for the course).

Honestly I'm stumped on what to do next. Any advice?

• 5 months later...

Don't stack honors classes

ITS NOT WORTH IT! I only did it because regular is easy.

Honors drains your life away with hours of homework and studying. Sigh. :|