Awoo.

Red Dead Redemption

Patticus

34y8f3q.jpg

43R6D2O755_1780_0001.jpg PEU6DH4NBA_1780_0002.jpg HLCR2AGDOG_1780_0003.jpg

34SVLNR04A_1780_0004.jpg 3141JPKYH8_1780_0005.jpg

IGN RDR Week

Over the course of the next week, IGN will be bringing you exclusive details on Red Dead Redemption, including a first look preview tomorrow. But before we get into the juicy details, check out the debut trailer below. Keep in mind that none of this is pre-rendered. It's all in-game footage. Yes, the horses look and move that realistically in the actual game. Enjoy.

Check out the full schedule for Red Dead Redemption reveals:

* First Trailer - May 6

* First Look Preview - May 7

* Interactive Flash Slideshow - May 8

* A Man & His Horse - May 11

* Into the Wild West - May 12

Source

Debut Trailer:

IGN Mirror: Link

I think this looks good, and I hope it turns out great, but the trailer looks a little too much like GTA in the Wild West. I know that's kind of the idea, I mean GTA holds enormous appeal and it's only natural to want to transfer that to other, similarly open world games, but it would be nice if the game itself played a bit differently to simply, say, Niko Bellic in spurs and chaps in the desert, with horses instead of automobiles... but they've 'shot' that trailer exactly like they would as if it was GTA. Sigh.

If they have western style hookers then I'm set. I wonder how many variations of horses they have for you to steal lol.

Five Reasons to Love Red Dead Redemption

The Wide Open West

Though Rockstar gets the credit for spawning the open-world craze, at this point I've seen all the metropolises I can handle. It is, in all honesty, starting to feel a little "been there, done that." But a wide open West is quite a different beast. For the most part, videogame Westerns have been shackled to linear level design that focused on stylish gunplay, but lacked the atmospheric elements of the Wild West. If Rockstar nails the landscape and social aspects of its three Western locales (the frontier, Old Mexico and the Northern territories), then exploration is going to be something very unique and exciting as compared to other open-world games.

In a way, the West was like the world of Fallout. It's a place of isolation. But unlike Bethesda's dystopian world, the West is moving from a savage place towards one of civility (or at least refined savagery). Red Dead's story takes place at the turn of the century, as the West is confronted with the birth of modern industry. The setting is only going to help create the proper sense of desperation that swept across the outlaws of the Old West in its final years. In some ways, the themes may be very similar to those of GTA IV. Hopefully, Rockstar can pull it off.

I'd Like a Side of Spaghetti with My Western

I've seen my fair share of Westerns, but no subset of the genre appealed to me more than Spaghetti Westerns. It's a perfect fit for a game, because the exaggerated style of these films allows for hats to be shot off an enemy's head and the gun blown out of their hand. The stories in these movies don't suffer. Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" trilogy is a perfect example of three classic Western tales filled with betrayal, surprises, villainy and anti-heroism. I'd be pretty shocked to learn that these films (and others like them) didn't have a major influence of the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, let alone Red Dead Redemption. And yes, with the Deadeye Mode (aka bullet time) you can target just about anything on an enemy.

Natural Motion Horses

Red Dead Redemption may be set in the West, but its technology shares a lot with GTA IV. As with the latest GTA title, Redemption uses Rockstar's RAGE engine and Natural Motion's amazing Euphoria technology. What's that all mean? No pre-canned animations. And the ability for the body to react to bullets and other unexpected collisions. One of my biggest problems with past videogame Westerns were the horses. They never looked quite right and riding them always seemed unnatural. But with Euphoria, the horses will move and react to changes in the terrain and collisions. Riders will be thrown by sudden stops and characters should tumble off horses more organically than the pre-determined animations of the past. Let's just hope legs can get caught in stirrups and wounded enemies will be dragged behind their rides.

Duels

There's not much I can say about one-on-one gunfights, since Rockstar hasn't shown that off to anybody. So I can't exactly say I love what they are doing (maybe I will, but who the heck knows how a duel will work). Still, I am excited about the very prospect of duels when you consider that the previously mentioned technology and the Spaghetti Western aspects should make for some really cool moments. The real trick will be if Rockstar can nail the high level of tension that precedes just about every duel in movie history.

Notoriety

Red Dead Redemption doesn't feature a traditional morality system like Fallout. To my knowledge, you won't have the option to be the good (Gary Cooper), the bad (Deadwood's Swearengen) or the morally ambiguous (Eastwood's Blondie). The story is going to drive you where you need to go without the kind of branching paths seen in some other games. That's fine by me. What is interesting is how the "wanted level" works.

You can be evil if you want. Go shoot up a whole damned town if it makes you happy. But the worse you are, the more heavily the law will come down on you. Wanted posters will appear in town, posses will be formed. And unlike GTA IV, where getting free of the search radius resets your wanted level, in Red Dead Redemption, people have longer memories. Shot up a bunch of churchgoers? Head back to that same town soon after and people are going to remember your face. Bad things are going to happen.

While it's going to take a very long play test to see how well the notoriety system works, what I know about it so far sounds very promising. And for the record, everyone wants to be the Man with No Name. So if Red Dead Redemption keeps your character's morality in the grey, more power to Rockstar.

Screens

7POOUGE4UB_red-dead-redemption-20090507020130473.jpg QT2RDRHKT6_red-dead-redemption-20090507020137098.jpg 4RHOP52SBZ_red-dead-redemption-20090507020141551.jpg

VSY7UPR8LY_red-dead-redemption-20090508044341894.jpg 0DSP4MNAKI_red-dead-redemption-20090508044345691.jpg IAGRN596Y5_red-dead-redemption-20090508044351644.jpg

Oh hell yes, it's using Euphoria and Natural Motion just like GTA IV. It keeps on sounding better and better, I can't wait to see it in motion at E3.

redead3.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Rockstar finally have their own answer to GUN then? Always liked the idea of Western/Cowboy games, but never gotten around to having a good go at many of them.

EDIT: MUCH better Redead Redemption pic! Fuck that's awesome.

Edited by SuperLink

Rockstar finally have their own answer to GUN then?

Well, since Red Dead Revolver is quite old now, I guess they felt it could use a sequel.

• 7 months later...

Introductory Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/59977.html

It looks absolutely astoundingly good. One of the shining moments of 2010's gaming calendar right here, folks!

WALL OF TEXT! Spoilered to make it not fill up the page:

The wildlife isn't the only representation of the Wild West since you will also cross the paths of wanted Bandits. During your stays in towns you may find a sheriff hanging a wanted sign on a wall. You are free to get that sign and go look for the outlaw immediately. As expected you can accomplish this by either coming back with your target dead or alive, provided you get a proof when you have no choice but to kill. If you choose to come back with the target alive, you will have to drag him around all tied up with your lasso, not too fast though, unless you want to get in town with a corpse.

Treasure hunting is another activity that will be available. After having found (or bought) a treasure map, the player will have to use these scarce indications to find the place where it's buried. No radar indications to help you in your quest, so an akin sense of observation will be mandatory there. Money, weapons, munitions or even more treasure maps will be good enough motivations for the player as rewards. The cities will also offer as many activities as possible with for examples the ones to be found in saloons: Poker, Black Jack, strong-arm, having a drink and even some relaxations with the local prostitutes will be some of the pleasures of the night.

We got to see an example for a mission with the classical introduction sequence, in the pure Rockstar spirit. As Marston enters a house, Reyes (A not too modest Mexican friend) does the same with a young woman. And on the kitchen table! The fairly raw representation of the scene will certainly not please the most puritan people out there, but the least we can say is that we almost have never seen such a realistic portrayal of the act in a video-game.

The mission is cut in 4 distinct parts. In the first one you have to drive a cart full of dynamite to a certain point, while speaking with Reyes. A phase that's certainly very reminiscent to GTA, but that you will be able to cut short if you are in a hurry. Then Reyes will ask you to place the cart near the door of a fort that him and his friends want to invade in order to rise up against the current Mexican government. And since your Mexican Stallion friend is a such a joker he will ignite the fuse on the cart, leaving you with a quite limited time to drive it to its future location. Afterward comes a more usual shooting phase where you will have to invade the fort and ultimately kill the Captain. And finally you will have to defend the fort from outside invaders using an army canon, a nice and explosive way to finish this Tex-Mex piece of violence.

In terms of animations the Euphoria engine is at work and it's visible instantly. Be it the horse (you HAVE to see it use it's fore-legs to slow down when it's going down a steep path!) or Marston and his enemies, the end result is impressively realistic. Also impressive, the way the bodies of the enemies react when touched by bullets. Depending on the impacted area they won't react in the same way and if a bullet in the torso will for example have to enemy back down, it won't prevent him to counter-attack if it's not a fatal injury. All this adds even more credibility to the various situations and from the little we saw the progress since GTA IV is very real.

In terms of gameplay we can't really say much since we were not allowed to touch a gamepad during the presentation. I'm still talking about since it seems to be the area where the most work will be needed until April's release. It's difficult to say for sure since it could have been the demonstrator's fault, but it seemed like the gunfights were still FIXME like in GTA IV. Even though the hero is less clumsy than Niko while in motion, the manual targeting still seems to be lacking in precision. From what we saw we are still far from the speed and finesse of Uncharted 2 or Gears of War 2. The automatic lock-on and the Dead Eye mode (slow down effect allowing to shoot in bursts) will of course be a nice alternative the less agile, but let's hope the targeting will be mademore dynamic by release. But we'll have to wait and try by ourselves to be sure.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_red_dead_redemption_br_private_presentation-8814_en.htm

Even more... this time from IGN.

There are three huge territories to explore, each a massive and sprawling area filled with towns, rocky crevasses, and huge valleys. This demo took place just south of the border, starting at a beat-up town called Nueva. A civil war is brewing which will surely play heavily into the narrative. Though the town feels like it is barely hanging on in the rough setting, the world itself feels alive. Birds periodically fly overhead. Wild animals scamper through the brush, teasing your trigger finger (and offering hunting achievements and trophies). When the sun goes down, the sky sparkles as you travel by moon and starlight.

And of course, there will be little fun activities that are being put into the world for you to randomly discover. My favorite of these are the treasure maps. Some will be available for purchase in town while others will be rewards for completing quests. None of them will be a simple marker on your map. These will be actual drawings of what the surroundings look like in the vicinity of the treasure. You might get a map early in the game that simply shows a rock arch near a clump of trees. Then, hours later, you might happen across that landmark and remember the map. It's a very cool concept.

Another highlight was the setup for what look like randomly generated side quests. During your travels you'll periodically run into various people going about their business. Whether you decide to get involved or not is up to you. I saw an outlaw escaping a deputy. You could kill the outlaw and collect a reward. Or you could tackle him, tie his legs to your horse and drag him back. Or you could do nothing and see how the deputy does. Or you could just kill the deputy and steal his belongings. Your level of honor will go up or down depending upon how you act, and the more things you do the more your fame will increase. These, in turn, will affect how people interact with you.

Naturally, there's a system in place to keep Marston from truly running amok. Commit crimes and the local authorities will try to take you down. Even if you get away, a bounty will be put out on your head. You can pay it down yourself, bribe authorities, or do good deeds in the hopes of getting a pardon letter. Here's the cool part though: Marston can buy a bandanna and wear it while committing crimes. Afterwards, you just need to duck out of town and pull off the bandanna to make the wanted level go down. If you do get a bounty, though, posses will begin to hunt you down. Heck, just get famous enough and you might find those looking to make a name for themselves challenging you to a duel.

You can get a tame horse in town, but you may find yourself occasionally lost in the desert without a ride. Grab a wild horse and you can break it, making it yours to whistle for should it get just a little too far away. In one instance, Marston came across a man flagging him down for help. Upon getting off the horse, this jerk hopped on Marston's horse and took off riding. No worries. Marston just whistled and the horse bucked off the would-be thief. A quick shot later and the guy was dead on the ground as the horse came trotting back. How's that for awesome?

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1053742p2.html

I will say this in response to someone who said something about GUN. Red Dead Revolver was the game that kicked off Spaghetti Westerns. It was awesome, fun, and damned awesome(it's a completely different adjective). With that said, is there any mention of Red in this game. I like some continuity.

I'd love for Rockstar to produce a prequel (of sorts) set during the time of the American Frontier, when Missouri was the state on the edge of the "Great American Desert" (as the prairies were known), when Mexico still owned California, New Mexico, Arizona and parts of Colorado, and Stephen Watts Kearny was marching off to war. A time of shifting borders, a time of Mountain Men and Trappers, a lot of Indian activity, wildernesses, bustling frontier towns and sleepy Mexican towns, the legendary Santa Fe and Oregon Trails, of course all the forts and trading posts along the way.

• 3 months later...

'Life In The West' Trailer

The more I see of this game, the more excited I get. It looks incredible, and is still among my most anticipated games for this year, riding high with Zelda, Metroid, Metro 2033 and Sonic 4. I can't wait to get back in the saddle and rassle me some cows... or somethin.

I'm a fan of westerns(some of them) and I'm a fan of Rockstar's work, so to me this is shaping up to be pretty cool. And it uses Natural Motion/Euphoria? I'll definitely be checking this out.

It's also nice to see they aren't being so stingy with what they show, unlike GTA4.

So many games to be stoked for this year and this is one of them. Is there any information about Red Harlow in this game? I read that this game takes place in 1909 so it means that this game may be a sequel because Revolver took place in the late 18th century.

• 2 months later...

30+ reviews of the game have been recorded at MetaCritic.com, with the average score of the game remaining high at 95%. Impressive, but let's wait for more reviews to come in; the average will probably take a tumble soon.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/reddeadredemption

IGN's take on it:

87463421.jpg

PS3 resolution rumours:

Red Dead Redemption sports the same sub-HD resolution as its predecessor, Grand Theft Auto 4, on the PlayStation 3.

The lower resolution results in a slightly less sharp image compared to its Xbox 360 brother, it's been claimed.

The Xbox 360 version of Red Dead Redemption has been confirmed to be 720p with 2x anti-aliasing, whereas the PlayStation 3 version has been pared down to approximately 640p. That's a 20 per cent lower rendering resolution.

Veteran Beyond 3D technical forum member Al_Strong today confirmed the PS3 game's vertical resolution to be 640 pixel's high, but struggled to pin down its horizontal resolution.

Infamous pixel-counter Quaz51 (he broke Halo 3's sub-HD resolution) confirmed this analysis, adding that he believes that Redemption's horizontal resolution is the same as Grand Theft Auto 4's. This puts the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption at 640x1152; the equivalent of 644p.

That's not to say that the PS3 version of the game doesn't enjoy the same graphical upgrades to Rockstar's GTA4 engine as the Xbox 360 game. No matter the platform, it's still one of the best games of the year, so don't go on a rage campaign just yet.

Moreover, since we've yet to have official confirmation from Rockstar, it's just a rumour for now, and more importantly - who cares?

Dayum. :/ Screens:

red_dead_redemption_rek764.jpg

53uzr4.png

Looking beautiful, regardless of the final resolution!

Some trailers:

Sooo... anybody else getting this game on Friday? I've gotten all hyped up by the prospect of riding through the old west on horseback with a posse of friends, getting into shootouts, kidnapping innocents and tying them to train tracks, all that jazz, plus the awesome-looking singleplayer mode that'll keep me occupied for a month at least. I've pre-ordered the game for the low low price of £29.75 from Tesco Entertainment (with a voucher code courtesy of GamesTracker) and look forward to getting stuck in there.

God, I need a job right now. I am still curious about whether Red is even mentioned in this game. But it looks great regardless. I will be getting this game. The time, however, might be uncertain.

Been playing the game non-stop since Sunday. Amazing times.

Went hunting a bounty over at Mercer Station earlier, killed his gang and chased the leader down on foot. I lasso'd him and hog tied him on the train line as a train was approaching. He was just about on the rail, and right before he got sliced up he managed to wriggle off the line and got clipped by the train as it passed, sending him tumbling down the rocky slope on the near side of the tracks (the other side is a cliff face going up). He slipped free of his bonds, but I got him again and thundered back into Armadillo triumphant. =D

Bunch of rough ridin' banditos waltzed into town later on, shooting everything in sight. Naturally I shot the lot right there 'n then... as well as an innocent bystander who got tragically mixed up in it all, who I mistook for a dismounted crook. *Facepalm* >_> <_< >_>

I got into a combat situation earlier on while between settlements and dismounted my horse before I got near the foes to skin a deer I'd just killed. With that combaty music going, the camera facing up at Marston and the clear blue sky, it felt like the most badass skinning ever.

Aside from those experiences, the game is proving utterly beautiful. The skies are the best in any game I've seen, the vistas are breathtaking, the mission variety a complete breath of fresh air compared to GTA IV, the music superb, I could go on and on. I'll just say this though: This game is GTA IV with all of its flaws fixed, and set in the Wild West. The only issues you might have are with bugged missions (c'mon Rockstar, patch it up), maybe not that much variety in some multiplayer missions in Free Roam (though I've not played that yet, only heard reports).

So, I'd give this game an Awesome/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh this game looks totally awesome, i've seen a few videos of this game looks ten times Grand Theft Auto IV without a doubt. thinking of buying it tomorrow while i'm out tomorrow in Hyde (town what just a drive down the motorway for me) and going to get it for my 360 just hope I can find it cheaper than Gamestation/Game prices may get it from Asda since they do cheaper prices than Game (got SC:Conviction cheaper than what Game's price was there so it's worth a look).

Also I came across this while looking on Xbox Resource a title update to fix some problems in the game online

Guest Miles Per Hour

I really want this game.

It's just tough deciding to get it on PS3 or Xbox 360... -_-

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I really want this game.

They both look and play the same so there is not much difference since there the same game but if I had a choice though I would still get it for the 360 for sure for the online (I have quite a few friends who play it on there who want me join in, can't wait to kick their arses on it XD)

Edited by Crash

I really want this game.

Well, the PS3 version has an exclusive gang hideout and outfit, so it's the version to get if you don't care about the graphics. The 360 version though has higher resolution, more shading and foliage, better detail fade and a more consistent frame-rate. It's the version to get if you really care about performance, but both games look good. I own the 360 version, but if I were you, I'd just get whatever version my friends have for the multiplayer, because it's boring as hell to go online without anyone to play with. The community is kinda full of douchebags.

Anyway, this game's really fun, but ever since I got 100%, I've had no idea what to do with it. I could do bounty missions again, but they can get really annoying. I remember one mission in particular had me look for a bounty target atop one of the game's highest mountains in Tall Trees. I dismounted my horse at the foot of the mountain and began scaling it, stealthily creeping up the trail. I got to the top and decided I wanted to take out some of the guards without drawing attention to myself. I kill one quitely with a throwing knife, after which Marston screams I'M COMIN' FOR YOU! YOU CAN'T RUN! alarming my target and his dozen posse members. I take them out, shoot the bounty in the foot as to not kill him(cause that's how I roll), and hogtie him. I call my horse up the trail to transport my prize, and just as I put the bounty on his back, he RUNS OFF the mountain with him. The target was still alive though(unlike my horse) so picked him up and tried to make my escape, whereupon I was shot and killed by reinforcements.

So I restarted the mission only to end up replicating my last run, right down to the horse falling off the mountain with the bounty.

Determined to bring this guy back alive, I restarted again. This time, the guards were placed around the mountain differently, so they noticed me much sooner and pumped me full of lead because I couldn't find any real adequate cover from them. This went on another five or six times until I finally managed to bring the bounty to the foot of the mountain and ride off into town with him, stopping any reinforcements that tried to shut me down.

Most satisfying $600 I've ever made.

Was that the mountain with the cave at the highest part you can get to, with the twisty trail going up it, or the one you scale when you first go on a mission with Nastas and the scaredy-cat anthropologist?

Was that the mountain with the cave at the highest part you can get to, with the twisty trail going up it, or the one you scale when you first go on a mission with Nastas and the scaredy-cat anthropologist?

From what I remember, the mission you're describing involves a bit of jumping onto ledges to climb up them, and I didn't remember that. There is a twisting trail though. A really, really steep one. I don't know my way around that maze of a forest because I don't like spending too much time up there in fear of bears.

Speaking of bears, I love how Nastas says "bears won't hurt you if you don't bother them". It's such a load of bull.

And have you gotten to Master Hunter challenge 8 yet? I'm not gonna spoil much, but it's quite the experience.

Edited by The Soldier

That twisty trail mountain was easy as piss. I rode my horse up to the last bend, saw one of the guy's gang wandering toward me so I shot him. His mates followed him, and as they popped over the brow of the hill into sight together I deadeyed the lot with my Evans Repeater. Cue lots of bodies sliding down the hill. The only guy left was my target, and as I approached on foot (my horse dutifully trailing me at a distance) he thundered past on horseback. He didn't reckon with my lasso and deadeye however, and in a moment was yanked off his steed and into my custody.

His friends didn't have much luck as I raced home to Blackwater either. :P

Oh and bears are scary, but if you have a Buffalo Rifle, some Deadeye refills and your wits about you you'll be juuuust fine.

That twisty trail mountain was easy as piss. I rode my horse up to the last bend, saw one of the guy's gang wandering toward me so I shot him. His mates followed him, and as they popped over the brow of the hill into sight together I deadeyed the lot with my Evans Repeater. Cue lots of bodies sliding down the hill. The only guy left was my target, and as I approached on foot (my horse dutifully trailing me at a distance) he thundered past on horseback. He didn't reckon with my lasso and deadeye however, and in a moment was yanked off his steed and into my custody.

His friends didn't have much luck as I raced home to Blackwater either. :P

I really never have any trouble with bounty missions, since I usually bring my target back alive on the first try, but I swear that one was a pain in the ass. Again, my horse taking him for TWO base jumping lessons didn't help either.

Oh and bears are scary, but if you have a Buffalo Rifle, some Deadeye refills and your wits about you you'll be juuuust fine.
Yeah, they're easy enough to kill when you see them, but despite their size they can really sneak up on you. I remember I had walked out of a lakeside cabin in Tall Trees and one pounced on me instantly. It's amazing how abruptly they can appear.

I remember another time one hit me and knocked me into a river so I couldn't get up to fight. D:

And why the hell can't Marston swim? He drowns the second he gets neck-deep in water. He doesn't even struggle.

Me and 2 friends tried leading a bear (who we named Jenna, God knows why) from Bearclaw Camp to Blackwater. We got it onto the outskirts after about half an hour of chasing, but then it decided to change it's mind and make a run back for Bearclaw. Some time after getting it to chase us back and emotional turmoil my friend decided to throw a Fire Bottle at her head.

I miss Jenna. :(

So you lot going on about this has made me interested in the game.

But... and you're not going to like me for what I'm going to say, but I have my reasons.

How easy are the online trophies and the like? The reason being is that if I get this game, I'll want to play it, all of it. And if the multiplayer is one of those modes where the difficulty of the online trophies and such as stupidly hard or demands a lot of boosting and effort to organise, eventually I'll start to hate it, and I'm sick of buying games that I love, and then because I want to try and get 100% I start to hate it. I'm having a similar problem with Final Fantasy 13 right now, the grinding for items and to level up is just far too slow.