Awoo.

The Last of Us (PS3 & PS4)

Detective Shadzter

As much as I liked the story to this game, somehow having a sequel would just be weird to me after seeing the ending. I mean what could they possibly do to extend this (besides having the story focus on ellie instead of joel) without making it seem, overdone.

As much as I liked the story to this game, somehow having a sequel would just be weird to me after seeing the ending. I mean what could they possibly do to extend this (besides having the story focus on ellie instead of joel) without making it seem, overdone.

As said already... they have said in interviews they have no plans to do any more of Joel and Ellie's story.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we primarily play as Ellie in the next game, as she's still just a young girl with her whole life ahead of her. While Joel's story has reached its absolute conclusion, there's still plenty for them to do with Ellie. 

This is of course assuming that they don't have different characters altogether, which considering the nature of the world the game is set in would be very easy to conceptualize.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to the Last of Us just so we can see how the virus spread across the globe. Obviously it can't be a continuation of Ellie and Joel's story since that was all done and dusted, for the most part.

Maybe the sequel can focus on a group of survivors outside of the US like some European or Asian country. Maybe the virus acts differently there, I dunno I just want to see more of the Last of Us universe!

• Thumbs Up 1

As said already... they have said in interviews they have no plans to do any more of Joel and Ellie's story.

Actually ND said that Joel and Ellie's quest for vaccine is over. Neil Druckmann himself said that they might come back to these characters in the future.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/27/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-sequel-this-journey-joel-and-ellie-is-complete-not-continuing-that/

Is it confirmed anywhere if Riley is related to Marlene? Just curious

I'm 100% sure they are not related.

Small comic spoiler

Riley said that her mother was eaten by a runner (her dad to me more specific)

I wouldn't mind a sequel but 2015 is way too early. Continuation of Joel and Ellie's story would destroy the interpretation factor of the ending though.

Gabz's idea is much better in my opinion. TLOU2 set in Japan please!

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually ND said that Joel and Ellie's quest for vaccine is over. Neil Druckmann himself said that they might come back to these characters in the future.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/27/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-sequel-this-journey-joel-and-ellie-is-complete-not-continuing-that/

Oh huh.  Wonder what interviews I read then coz I distinctly remember someone from ND saying how Joel and Ellie's story was done but they aren't necessarily done with the universe of The Last of Us, said in a way as if they'd like to explore it further (as oppose to, they've already got other stories planned).  Ah well.

I KINDA hope they leave Joel and Ellie alone though.  I adored my time with them but the story was perfectly self-contained.  I don't really want a further story to give Ellie time to think about her decision at the end of the first game, I'd rather what happened next for them be up to the player's imagination really.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh huh.  Wonder what interviews I read then coz I distinctly remember someone from ND saying how Joel and Ellie's story was done but they aren't necessarily done with the universe of The Last of Us, said in a way as if they'd like to explore it further (as oppose to, they've already got other stories planned).  Ah well.

I KINDA hope they leave Joel and Ellie alone though.  I adored my time with them but the story was perfectly self-contained.  I don't really want a further story to give Ellie time to think about her decision at the end of the first game, I'd rather what happened next for them be up to the player's imagination really.

I agree. I'd actually be kind of anxious about it too, if TLoU didn't just flat out convince me that they know what they're doing, haha. The game actually got me interested to give Uncharted another shot, ironically enough. Depending on how much I like that they might become my favorite developer soon.

• 2 weeks later...

IGN hands on with Left Behind DLC

ellie-and-riley-flashlightjpg-464bf0_610

"Of course, there’s more to it than that, because Left Behind isn’t just more The Last of Us. It’s more of one very specific aspect of Naughty Dog’s masterpiece, granting players permission to explore the dilapidated ruins of the post-pandemic United States one last time. While there is fighting and gunplay in Left Behind, what it readily emphasizes is a steady, slow, and thoughtful examination of a long-abandoned mall. There are surprises – awesome, story-bending surprises, in fact – but by-and-large, this once-bastion of commerce outside of Boston’s quarantine zone is the DLC’s main focus!

riley-gunjpg-464bef_610w.jpg

"Left Behind doesn’t lean on combat, but it’s there, and as promised, there’s a new dynamic to it. Ellie will find herself in situations where she has to do battle with the Infected, or with fellow human survivors, but there are also instances where both are attacking her – and each other – at once. These melees are awesome, and I wish they appeared in the main campaign. It’s a sadistic treat to distract one side with some gunfire or a tossed (and subsequently broken) bottle, only to watch them turn their ire on each other, and not you. This is a dynamic totally unseen in Joel’s quest."

Left Behind sounds really good. Only a week left until Valentine's Day................can't wait! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, well I've been playing Left Behind for about an hour. After the opening cutscene with Riley, the opening gameplay is not what you expect......

Just before the opening cutscene where Riley wakes up Ellie, you see a few bits of the cutscene where Joel is seriously injured at the end of the university scene in the main game. "Joel tell me what do. Joel? JOEL!" etc.

Well the opening gameplay is you playing as Ellie pretty much right after the end of the university scene!!!!!!!

Ellie lays Joel down in an area at the bottom of a mall. Ellie (you) then starts searching the mall for medical supplies. After a while you reach a point and the gameplay switches to Ellie (you) and Riley in the past. Then later on it switches back to Ellie again - in the future - looking for medical supplies, where there are lots of Clickers! Combat is pretty much the norm (in the future).

I have just switched back to Ellie and Riley again. 

It's a lot of fun so far. The dialogue between Ellie and Riley is really cool. You do feel alone when playing in the future. Poor Joel.

You can take pictures of Ellie and Riley in a photo booth a bit later in the story, and upload the pictures to your Facebook page. A cool feature.

Edit: Ellie kisses Riley. You have a water pistol fight with Riley. The scene where they get bitten is okay, I guess. Once they get bitten, they talk and then it ends.

Edit: I've now completed Left Behind. It's decent, about two hours long. Not too combat heavy. Worth playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The DLC was great. It didn't affect me as much as the main campaign but it was still really entertaining. All the Ellie and Riley moments were brilliant - some of them reminded me of the times I used to play on the playground with my friends.

Combat is just as fun as in the main game, hell, I'd say that it was implemented even better than in the main campaign. I gotta play with the 'Infected and Humans at the same time' mechanic more next time. I didn't manage to make a runner eat a hunter on my first playthrough.

The ending was amazing. I loved that it tied into the main campaign. Final dialogue is brilliant too and the way it mirrored the original ending was just.. UHH THE FEELS.

'What's option three?'

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow its here, I totally forgot about this dlc. Honestly I'm not in the mood for it right now, my main focus is pretty much do key Kong.

But i'll definitely be picking this up sooner or later.

How much is the dlc?

Wow its here, I totally forgot about this dlc. Honestly I'm not in the mood for it right now, my main focus is pretty much do key Kong.

But i'll definitely be picking this up sooner or later.

How much is the dlc?

12 pounds/15 US dollars I think. It's a bit too expensive so I'd recommend you to wait for a price drop unless you're a hardcore TLOU fan.

I really liked the game, 15 doesn't seem much for this dlc. Is it pretty lengthy?

Dlc don't get price drops I'm pretty sure. Unless of sales

I really liked the game, 15 doesn't seem much for this dlc. Is it pretty lengthy?

Dlc don't get price drops I'm pretty sure. Unless of sales

It took me almost three hours to beat as I explored every corner but you can beat it in over an hour.

I gotta play with the 'Infected and Humans at the same time' mechanic more next time. I didn't manage to make a runner eat a hunter on my first playthrough.

I've just done a second playthrough of LB.

Using the infected to attack the humans is neat. It certainly helps take the heat off Ellie. Use them to destroy each other, then just pick off the few that remain. I bet this technique is essential in Hard and Survivor mode.

In one of the last cutscenes, if you look closely you can see exactly when Ellie gets bitten.

If you explore everywhere and do all the optional speech interactions you can easily push a playthrough of three hours. I'm happy with the length.

Damn, playing LB makes me want to play the main game again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Really enjoyed it.  I'm glad it wasn't too combat heavy because while I enjoy the combat well enough I'm really into TLOU for the story. 

They had plenty of nice action scenes and puzzles along the way though, I also enjoyed the little storyline of the soldiers played out through artifacts, and I agree the usage of human and infected enemy encounters was a lovely touch.  First encounter I knew what to do right away and it was super satisfying... second one I totally panicked and very quickly got clicker'd due to focusing on taking out the humans with my noisy pistol lol.

Just hanging out in the mall with Riley was really fun and was oddly relaxing, and strengthened the non-flashback scenes by making them all the more lonesome and intimidating.  I was kind of hoping for a more tearjerking scene at the end than what we got, but I guess "we know what happened next", didn't need to torture us by showing exactly what Ellie went through when we can use our imaginations.

I thought this was gonna be pure flashback so it took me by surprise that it was a mixture of sidequel (sorta) and prequel, I guess that was necessary considering past Ellie would've had to have thrown out most gameplay conventions to have combat (respecting her lack of ability to shoot guns at that point etc).

The only thing I wish was they made it so after beating it, you could set a toggle to have the DLC occur as part of a regular playthrough, skipping the opening/credits when played in this way.  Though I guess it does break the pacing by revealing that Joel is still alive, as oppose to when you first play and don't know for sure until Ellie asks the cannibals for antibiotics.  Even on a second playthrough, one suspends that kind of knowledge to enjoy the story again.

EDIT: Oh yeah:

I heard there was a controversial scene before playing.  When it got to the scene where they drink alcohol I was like "what did people really find this controversial".  Then I reached the ACTUAL scene people meant and I was like "what did people really find this controversial".

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard there was a controversial scene before playing.  When it got to the scene where they drink alcohol I was like "what did people really find this controversial".  Then I reached the ACTUAL scene people meant and I was like "what did people really find this controversial".

Well, on the IGN, before the DLC release if you even dared to MENTION the possibility of Ellie being gay, you'd get called out as a sick pedophilic fuck.

I guess most people don't feel comfortable talking about teenagers' sexuality. They think it's lewd and perverted because they are 'little kids'.

Yeah I find it kind of ridiculous.  Teenagers are sexual beings.  Actually showing their nude bodies or sexual activity - that is paedophilia.  Having a plot that addresses their sexual orientation is just... addressing stuff that happens in life.  And I mean come on it was a single, deep but quick kiss.

There's two levels of idiocy in people who find this offensive:

The actual act of calling Ellie being gay/bisexual as a bad thing, AND the assumption that kissing a girl in sudden moment of affection automatically means she IS gay/bisexual.  I mean she's 13 in the flashback right?  It's one kiss, she probably doesn't even know what she is yet, and even if she did - it just doesn't matter as is evident in the fact that it wasn't brought up in the context of the main story, because it wasn't relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Last Of Us: The Movie!

Deadline.com reports that:

"Screen Gems has signed on to distribute TLOU, a live-action adaptation of the PlayStation 3 vidgame from Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will write the script. The creative architects will be Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley. They’ll team with Sam Raimi and his Ghost House Pictures banner.

“Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it, and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay,” Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper said. “I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.”

Naughty Dog Co-president Wells called the combination of Screen Gems and Ghost House “a perfect fit. Since our game released last June, we’ve talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn’t have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards.”

This was kind of inevitable. Hope this does the game justice. 

I love the Last of Us. 

The idea of a movie fills me with dread.

• Thumbs Up 2

The story already was movie-quality enough. Why make it into a movie?

Because money.

Wow that is surprising but if its gonna the same story of the main game then we'll know what's gonna happen. But I'd probably still watch it. The story was just too good.

Not everyone plays games or are into the gameplay of TLoU... I admit, if it is done as well generally, I have no issues with this if it means people get to enjoy the story who wouldn't have otherwise.  The story was all the better to me for the interactivity, but I'd rather have people experience it in a non-interactive form than not at all.