Awoo.

The Last of Us (PS3 & PS4)

Detective Shadzter

Man this game makes me wish that I had a PS3, but with the news that it'll be coming out on the PS4. I'll pick it up when I get one which will be sometime this year or next year.

You're in for a treat. :)

(it is a game that earns its M rating though, so if violence and swearing is an issue for you, you might have to watch out)

I am always disappointed when no discount is offered for existing players but ah well.  I admit if they can make the in-game graphics match the FMVs that'd be awesome (it was already pretty seamless but on a second play I permanently got better at totally being able to tell when they switch which did take me out of the reality of the game just a little).

No plans to get a PS4 any time soon for me, but when I do, I would like to pick up the upgraded version.

Insane Idea #87: 

They make TLOU PS4 Edition the PSN+ game of the month. 

Think of how many consoles they'll shift/PSN+ subs they'd get.

Ugh, please don't let this become a trend of the Next Gen, releasing less than year old games on the new system for full price.

Ugh, please don't let this become a trend of the Next Gen, releasing less than year old games on the new system for full price.

...Well, just to break this down:

It won't become a trend because the only games being released like this are ones from the very end of the system's life.  I.e. those trading in their PS3s to get PS4s may still be wanting to play recent games, and those who didn't own a PS3 but have decided to get a PS4 get to play a recent, very critically acclaimed game.

And full price?  As you said, the game is only a year old, it's still full price on PS3 (or close to it), why wouldn't it be full price here?  It's a modern game made with modern production values, you're not getting anything less than PS3 owners who buy it at full price did.

The only thing I dislike about the practice is not offering some kind of "upgrade" deal for those who bought the original game.  Though I confess it would have to be very complicated a system to avoid people buying a second-hand PS3 copy just to use it to get the upgrade price on a PS4 version, or sharing their copy among friends.  Unless there's some way to detect individual discs so an online database knows when a disc has been "used" to get the discount on a PSN account.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well actually... we don't know yet if there will be some kind of upgrade thing.

Sony does and have one this already with a few PS3-PS4 titles. I don't see why they wouldn't do this with TLOU.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Well, just to break this down:

It won't become a trend because the only games being released like this are ones from the very end of the system's life.  I.e. those trading in their PS3s to get PS4s may still be wanting to play recent games, and those who didn't own a PS3 but have decided to get a PS4 get to play a recent, very critically acclaimed game.

And full price?  As you said, the game is only a year old, it's still full price on PS3 (or close to it), why wouldn't it be full price here?  It's a modern game made with modern production values, you're not getting anything less than PS3 owners who buy it at full price did.

The only thing I dislike about the practice is not offering some kind of "upgrade" deal for those who bought the original game.  Though I confess it would have to be very complicated a system to avoid people buying a second-hand PS3 copy just to use it to get the upgrade price on a PS4 version, or sharing their copy among friends.  Unless there's some way to detect individual discs so an online database knows when a disc has been "used" to get the discount on a PSN account.

Unless games are released for previous consoles first (like some games are, such as the upcoming Assassins Creed and Persona 5). We're still in an inbetween shift for the generation, where not everyone has jumped on board and game companies want to cater to everyone. It is still possible to get a "Definitive Edition Bioshock Infinite" or "Mega Edition GTA5" before the year is up.

Half price to 2/3 the price is not the same as full price. And it isn't the case that most AAA games are still high in price after a year. A lot of modern games drop in price significantly within a year. Look at Tomb Raider or Bioshock.

My point is that if companies realize they can release the same game less than a year later for the original price with minor upgrades (upping the framerate and graphics without changing gameplay is minor in my book) they will. 

What sort of upgrade plan would Sony even have (or have done in the past)? The only thing I can think of is Cross-Buy, which really isn't the same thing at all.

My point is that if companies realize they can release the same game less than a year later for the original price with minor upgrades (upping the framerate and graphics without changing gameplay is minor in my book) they will. 

And there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If enough people do that they'll be satisfied with the sales, then the market has dictated the price. I myself will have this pre-ordered as soon as possible, just like I did with Persona 4 Golden and Tomb Raider DE (though TR was only because I didn't pay for the game the first time I played it and wanted to support the developers).

Capitalism. 

It does get kinda annoying, I admit, but whenever updated versions are released, I just stick to the original if I have it already (well, most of the time, anyways), and if I don't have it, I buy the updated version.

It does get kinda annoying, I admit, but whenever updated versions are released, I just stick to the original if I have it already (well, most of the time, anyways), and if I don't have it, I buy the updated version.

Depends on how much I liked the game, for me. If it was something like LBP or something I'd just skip it, but TLoU is one of my all time favorites and I'm happy to support my favorite developer. 

To be honest this offends me no less than general belated multi-platform releases.  The PS4 isn't backwards compatible so... I don't see why this is any different from say, when they released BioShock on PS3 a good year after the PC and 360 versions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Metal Gear Solid has been doing it quite regularly too... though in fairness not since MGS3... oh hang on... Peace Walker did it. 

Metro 2033 has also announced PS4/XBO editions.

To be honest this offends me no less than general belated multi-platform releases.  The PS4 isn't backwards compatible so... I don't see why this is any different from say, when they released BioShock on PS3 a good year after the PC and 360 versions.

Wasn't that because Bioshock was a paid timed exclusive? The second it ended Bioshock went to PS3 and even PC. Even after it relaunched later the game got exclusive DLC to make up for it. What bugs me here is that they're rereleasing a game less than a year later with minor aesthetic improvements for full price. It's like... they realize there is a Next Gen drought for a bit so they're going to charge as much as possible. 

Metal Gear Solid has been doing it quite regularly too... though in fairness not since MGS3... oh hang on... Peace Walker did it. 

Metro 2033 has also announced PS4/XBO editions.

I heard about that. Was Last Light any good? I couldn't sit through half of 2033.

And there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If enough people do that they'll be satisfied with the sales, then the market has dictated the price. I myself will have this pre-ordered as soon as possible, just like I did with Persona 4 Golden and Tomb Raider DE (though TR was only because I didn't pay for the game the first time I played it and wanted to support the developers).

Capitalism. 

If this trend continues it makes me wonder why developers would actually want to develop new content. If they can rerelease a game they finished a year or two ago with minor updates for the original price, why would they put more effort into a new game? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't that because Bioshock was a paid timed exclusive? The second it ended Bioshock went to PS3 and even PC. Even after it relaunched later the game got exclusive DLC to make up for it. What bugs me here is that they're rereleasing a game less than a year later with minor aesthetic improvements for full price. It's like... they realize there is a Next Gen drought for a bit so they're going to charge as much as possible. 

Okay sure, but it's a full length game, made to modern standards, only a year old.  There are actual original PS4 titles that aren't as good looking nor as good value for money as the PS3 version of TLoU is.

Just... what part of PS4 TLoU isn't worth full price when you consider it as a standalone product?  As long as they offer some kind of upgrade scheme for existing players I have no beef with this.

In fact if anything, were the price lowered, I'd feel just a little jealous that PS4 users who are buying it for the first time are getting a better version of the game for less than I paid for it when I got it at the time only a year ago.

Hell in one sense the price already is lowered since it's going to include the Left Behind DLC.

Okay sure, but it's a full length game, made to modern standards, only a year old.  There are actual original PS4 titles that aren't as good looking nor as good value for money as the PS3 version of TLoU is.

Just... what part of PS4 TLoU isn't worth full price when you consider it as a standalone product?  As long as they offer some kind of upgrade scheme for existing players I have no beef with this.

In fact if anything, were the price lowered, I'd feel just a little jealous that PS4 users who are buying it for the first time are getting a better version of the game for less than I paid for it when I got it at the time only a year ago.

Hell in one sense the price already is lowered since it's going to include the Left Behind DLC.

But I'm talking about the practice in general, not for this specific game. For certain games it may be a better value but it hardly matters if it becomes a general trend with more games and they are all priced at $60 or higher.

But I'm talking about the practice in general, not for this specific game. For certain games it may be a better value but it hardly matters if it becomes a general trend with more games and they are all priced at $60 or higher.

The games that were worth re-releasing will sell, the ones that weren't won't.

I see no reason why this is any more offensive than movie companies rereleasing their old stuff on new formats for full price.

• Thumbs Up 2

I see no reason why this is any more offensive than movie companies rereleasing their old stuff on new formats for full price.

You mean a decade later, usually with some bonus commentary or digital copy? Or are you talking about movies that release on DVD and then release a year later on Blu Ray? Because I don't know of many of those. Blu Ray and DVD releases are practically simultaneous nowadays. I need some examples I guess.

But maybe I expect more out of games because they're an interactive medium. 

It isn't the rereleasing that is the problem. It is the minor improvement on the aesthetics (not the actual gameplay) that bothers me, and the fact that people will actually pay an additional 60 dollars for a game that is essentially the same experience. It honestly boggles my mind. 

I don't think its an issue with one or two games, but if this becomes a trend for the next couple years, what incentive is there for game developers to actually develop new content? 

I dunno. But we've gone way off topic so I'll stop bringing it up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

How long did it take for most movies to be rereleased on Blu Ray? It certainly wasn't under a year.

Who cares? As Jez pointed out above, considering the price of the PS3 version is still just as high when you account the bundled Left Behind DLC, this is an arguably better value than if it were to arbitrarily release later.

I want this game now, thanks. I'm happy to buy it as soon as it's out because it's that good of a game and I want to experience it again on more powerful hardware. Sorry you don't feel the same.

That's another problem I have with re-releases of games every year or even a few months. They include the DLC so the people who bought it early wasted their money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Remastered as in the probably upped the resolution and that's about it. Forgive me for being pessimistic about this whole thing.