Awoo.

The Last of Us (PS3 & PS4)

Detective Shadzter

You would be doing yourself a massive disservice picking Watch_Dogs over TLoU.

Or maybe Watch_Dogs does turn out to be a very good game and there would be no "disservice".
  • Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe Watch_Dogs does turn out to be a very good game and there would be no "disservice".

Forgive me if I'm not overwhelmingly optimistic towards Ubisoft making a better game than one of the best games I've ever played.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgive me if I'm not overwhelmingly optimistic towards Ubisoft making a better game than one of the best games I've ever played.

It doesn't matter if Watch_Dogs won't be as good as TLOU to you. IF Watch_Dogs ends up being a well-developed game with plenty to do, then what's the problem with someone buying another game?
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think you should wait til Watch Dogs is out and people have played it before you start asking people which one you should get.

• Thumbs Up 2

It doesn't matter if Watch_Dogs won't be as good as TLOU to you. IF Watch_Dogs ends up being a well-developed game with plenty to do, then what's the problem with someone buying another game?

Because he literally said he has to choose between one or the other, creating a direct comparison between the two. Are you purposely being this dense or should I preface every post I right with "IMO" to satisfy you?

Because he literally said he has to choose between one or the other, creating a direct comparison between the two. Are you purposely being this dense or should I preface every post I right with "IMO" to satisfy you?

It's the fact that you said "Massive disservice" that bothers me. Both are original IPs and if both end up being games well worth looking into and playing, there's no disservice between buying either one.
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's the fact that you said "Massive disservice" that bothers me. Both are original IPs and if both end up being games well worth looking into and playing, there's no disservice between buying either one.

So then what would you say to someone thinking of buying Sonic Lost World over Mario Galaxy? After all, both are arguably worth playing and major sequels to established brands.

He said he had to pick one or the other, and I replied with my thoughts. You're free to do the same if you'd like.

Actually, Ubisoft games go on sale pretty quickly, so I might get TLoU first and then wait for a discount on Watch_Dogs. But I'm not really sure yet, I generally prefer open world games, but TLoU has won GOTY awards. I'll wait and see when the time comes.

Actually, Ubisoft games go on sale pretty quickly, so I might get TLoU first and then wait for a discount on Watch_Dogs. But I'm not really sure yet, I generally prefer open world games, but TLoU has won GOTY awards. I'll wait and see when the time comes.

One thing I'd have to say is that despite TLOU being an amazing game, it is quite short if you get into it whereas Watch_Dogs is supposedly around 100 hours long if you aim for 100% percent though I don't quite believe that myself.

Beyond that, it'd be smart to just look at the developer's reputations. Just considering what we know about both games the likelihood of Watch_Dogs being a genuine match in quality is exceedingly slim when you think about how new IPs from Ubisoft usually are in their first iteration.

Guarantee you, Watch Dogs will be on PSN+ within 8 months.

Very much doubt TLOU will.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I'd have to say is that despite TLOU being an amazing game, it is quite short if you get into it whereas Watch_Dogs is supposedly around 100 hours long if you aim for 100% percent though I don't quite believe that myself.

The main story took me about 20 hours, double that for playing again finding every artifact (which was rewarding due to all the extra world building and character conversations you get for doing so), and then another 3 hours for Left Behind.  I don't care about the multiplayer at all but if you do, there's that also.

I have to say I wouldn't really consider the length all that relevant when the quality of that experience is so good and perfectly formed.  TLoU is far from short - it's not a 100 hour + game it's just about exactly as long as it needed to be.

I'd always take 20 hours of well-put together linear action with an incredible story than 100 hours of sandbox busywork but that's just me.

THIRD DLC PACK DETAILS!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/the-last-of-us-grounded-bundle-detailed/#sf2604583

13854269294_f27f42e755_z.jpg

That new difficulty mode... I'm tempted.

I haven't actually tried Survivor mode yet. *Hangs head in shame*

I get the feeling Grounded mode will be something like; two hits and your dead. It you make a difficulty setting too hard then it can remove some of the enjoyment.

Would be cool if Survivor and Grounded mode were added to the Left Behind dlc.

I had a go at Survivor mode and the removal of listen mode just completely broke the game for me.  Not fun at all, you literally have to guess where people are or work from memory of what their initial movements are before they start to dynamically change them after you take action.

I had a go at Survivor mode and the removal of listen mode just completely broke the game for me.  Not fun at all, you literally have to guess where people are or work from memory of what their initial movements are before they start to dynamically change them after you take action.

I'm most worried about that part haha, but the DS4 has a port for headphones, which should make actually physically listening for them much easier.

Lol I did all my playthroughs on headphones and no such luck.  =C  It does make hearing conversations that have gained that "in the next room" muffle effect a lot easier to understand though.

I couldn't even get past the toppled buildings section on survivor though.  Died over and over again at the section where you drop down to clear the way (one clicker and several runners) and decided "nope this mode is not for me" lol.

I think I'll always replay the game on Easy just to enjoy the story.  When I played through Normal all the moments where I discovered Bloaters had been removed on Easy stressed me the hell out too.

Lol I did all my playthroughs on headphones and no such luck.  =C  It does make hearing conversations that have gained that "in the next room" muffle effect a lot easier to understand though.

I couldn't even get past the toppled buildings section on survivor though.  Died over and over again at the section where you drop down to clear the way (one clicker and several runners) and decided "nope this mode is not for me" lol.

I think I'll always replay the game on Easy just to enjoy the story.  When I played through Normal all the moments where I discovered Bloaters had been removed on Easy stressed me the hell out too.

I can't imagine having very much actual fun with anything lower than Hard, I loved balancing all of my supplies and making every bullet count, it was super fun and intense for me haha. Did my first playthrough on Hard and I'm glad I did. I'd probably just cruise through on Easy if I wanted to show other people the story though. I want that Grounded trophy haha.

• 3 weeks later...

New DLC trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nBuBPPbGU

• Thumbs Up 2

Fresh work from The Last of Us concept artist, Marek Okon which he revealed on Facebook.    <3

10339669_10152109453189562_2255972828437

“We all heard the stories over the years. Tales of a girl being out there, immune to all this madness. And we knew that those stories were nothing but wishful thinking, fairy tales passed along by the campfire. Believing those stories was a good measure of my desperation. I needed to find that girl. You, who followed me on this hopeless journey choose to do so. Some of you paid the ultimate price for that. For my belief… But here we are, we found the girl. We found the hope. Be careful and don’t let her bite you.

There's got to be some sort of medical condition for when you paint fanarts of the projects you actually worked on. Well I guess its not as much a fanart as a homage to one of the best games I've ever played. I tried to imagine what future holds for Ellie and Joel and came up with this image - Ellie few years older, practicing her tunes, being chased by a woman who will hesitate at nothing to find the cure and save her loved ones. Again, its only my own imagination at works here so please don't board the "TLOU2 confirmed" hype train ;] Its a (deeply) personal image."

Erm....fuck it *boards TLOU2 hype train* tongue.png 

• Thumbs Up 6

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. NaughtyDog have been teasing the release date for the PS4 version on twitter. They say the game has a release date, they just don't say when wink.png

Also the previous release date thought to be 13th June has been confirmed by Sony as false.

I can't believe I haven't seen that picture of Ellie yet, it's flipping gorgeous! If she's supposed to be a few years older there, I can see why almost everyone thinks she looks like Ellen Page. The resemblance is uncanny. XD

Just thought I would post the E3 PS4 trailer. Release date is 29th & 30th July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DmP2QLKJFr0

Comparison screenshots of the PS4 & PS3 versions can be found here.

Also, here's an interesting article about the 'hell' that NaughtyDog have experienced in porting TLOU to PS4. 

"I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no," Druckmann said. "We expected it to be hell, and it was hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds … that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimized the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimized on a binary level, but after shifting those things over, you have to go back to the high level, make sure the systems are intact, and optimize it again.

"I can’t describe how difficult a task that is. And once it’s running well, you’re running the [versions] side by side to make sure you didn’t screw something up in the process, like physics being slightly off, which throws the game off, or lighting being shifted and all of a sudden it’s a drastically different look. That’s not ‘improved’ any more; that’s different. We want to stay faithful while being better."

Druckmann also said that the game and its cutscenes are running at 1080p and 60 frames per second, a process he said "involved rendering them all from scratch." Though the creative director characterized The Last of Us Remastered as "a straightforward port," he said that PlayStation 4 has him open to giving players new options.

"I love the feel of the triggers on the PS4, so I want to give the option to switch which triggers you use to shoot and which ones you’re using to listen and crouch," he said. "Then there are some ideas of how to use the touchpad that we’ll play with and see if it’s worth it. Mostly, we don’t want to mess with the experience too much, and we don’t want to deviate from what made The Last Of Us so great."

Lol the side by side comparisons are kind of dumb, weren't almost all of those shots from pre-rendered cut-scenes previously?  Makes sense that they'd take the opportunity to polish them up slightly but not exactly good points for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony have reduced the price of TLOU: Remastered by $10.

I'm going to buy the PS4 version regardless of the price, but a price drop is appreciated.