Awoo.

The Last of Us (PS3 & PS4)

Detective Shadzter

We now have the ESRB rating for the PS4 version. It contains spoilers so I've put it in a spoiler tag.

The PS4 version has been given an M Rating.

"This is an action game in which players assume the role of Joel and Ellie, human survivors battling their way through a post-apocalyptic world. From a third-person perspective, players traverse through city ruins and use a variety of weapons (e.g., pistols, rifles, explosives, spiked bats, steel pipes, and blades) and melee attacks to fight off infected mutants and other human survivors.:

"Players can also employ stealth kills (e.g., strangulations, pistol executions, stabbing attacks) and engage in extended combat sequences involving close-up camera angles and on-screen prompts. Screams of pain, realistic gunfire, and blood-splatter effects accompany the combat. Several attacks result in decapitations and dismemberment; body parts are depicted in some areas (e.g., chopping blocks)."

"Cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence: a young character dying in a man’s arms from gunshot wounds; adult characters being executed at point-blank range; an enemy getting interrogated and stabbed 
in the knee. During the course of the game, a character makes sexual remarks about an adult magazine (e.g., ‘Whoa. How the hell would he even walk around with that thing’ and ‘Oh why are these [pages] all stuck together’). One scene allows player to decide whether a young character drinks alcohol. The words ‘f**k,’ ‘sh*t,’ and ‘a*shole’ can be heard in the dialogue."

Here's some new PS4 screenshots

VbqfedJ.jpg

dt8ulBK.jpg

3J1VzW2.jpg

LQgsRtI.jpg

Only three weeks left until the release date. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

So I finally got the game...had to update and all that...

But now I'm stuck on the loading screen (?) with the game's name in the lower right and dunno what's going on. I haven't even properly started the game itself. 

So I finally got the game...had to update and all that...

But now I'm stuck on the loading screen (?) with the game's name in the lower right and dunno what's going on. I haven't even properly started the game itself. 

PS3 or PS4? I haven't heard of that issue in particular tbh but it's possible your PS3 is having issues. A lot of older models died trying to run TLoU.

also since we got warped to pre-launch I'ma just say the PS4 version is rad and you should all buy it

Are you sure you're actually stuck? The PS3 version has an extremely long load time when you start it up.

Ha, because of the server wipe clicking on unread posts took me to the front page. Scanned through some of the initial reactions chatter, it's quite interesting considering this game's reception now.

I think I remember the first time properly seeing this game... the reveal demo at E3 I think. Blew me away.

Sigh...I really, REALLY wanted to play this game for MONTHS. 

But after today, I dunno. I tried the methods online, from Youtube, to various message boards. Nothing worked. To make sure there wasn't anything seriously wrong I tried my other games and those ran without issue. TLOU is a double layered disc is it not? Well damn you were lucky you all managed to play it to the end, because I couldn't even get past the goddamn LOADING SCREEN. It's not even loading at this point is it? It's installing the game data? Hahaha, I waited over three hours.

I'll try again once more but if not I'm just gonna return it for some cash or something.

Wonder if there will ever be a deal on the Left Behind DLC, since I was unlucky enough not to get the Season Pass with the game. 8( Can't believe I haven't played that yet, hell I haven't played Last of Us since I played it back in 2013!

I seriously need to replay it once I get my PS3 back, just to get collectibles and stuff. And Left Behind.

• 2 months later...

I'm not surprised we missed this:

The Last of Us: Left Behind Available as Standalone Download May 12th

The team at Naughty Dog is excited that Left Behind, the critically-acclaimed and award-winning single-player chapter to The Last of Us, will be available as a standalone download via PlayStation Store. The Last of Us: Left Behind standalone will be available on both PS4 and PS3 starting May 12th for only $9.99 ($14.99 CAN). We will be dropping the price of the Left Behind Add-on on PS3 to the same price on that day as well.

If you haven’t had a chance yet to check out The Last of Us, this is a nicely priced gateway to checking out the world and characters so many people (and critics) loved. While part of the story of Left Behind takes place during the main narrative arc of The Last of Us, I think some of the best and most touching moments of any game in recent memory occur during the prequel segments, as we follow Ellie and Riley as they sneak out of boarding school to visit an abandoned mall, getting one final chance to enjoy their friendship before Riley leaves to join the Fireflies.

You can get more immersed into the story of Ellie and Riley in The Last of Us: American Dreams comic book, published by Dark Horse, co-written by Faith Erin Hicks and The Last of Us Creative Director Neil Druckmann, with interior art by Faith Erin Hicks. I highly, highly recommend it.

We realize that most of Naughty Dog fans and readers of PlayStation.Blog will have probably already played The Last of Us and maybe even the Left Behind Add-on chapter — if you enjoyed the games, be sure to tell your friends that haven’t played this great introduction to The Last of Us.

We’ve also included a two hour trial of the Factions Multiplayer mode. The Left Behind standalone game will have built-in upgrade paths through the in-game store to both the full Factions experience and/or the full game for The Last of Us.

Below are the details on the upgrade possibilities on both PS4 and PS3 after you already own the Left Behind standalone game.

PS4 Full Factions Multiplayer $9.99 ($14.99 CAN) Full digital single-player game with Treacherous Territories Map Pack
(if you already own the full Factions Multiplayer) $29.99 ($24.99 CAN) Full digital single-player game, Factions Multiplayer Mode, and the Treacherous Territories Map Pack bundle $39.99 ($39.99 CAN) PS3 Full Factions Multiplayer $9.99 ($9.99 CAN) Full digital single-player game with Treacherous Territories Map Pack
(if you already own the full Factions Multiplayer) $19.99 ($14.99 CAN) Full digital single-player game, Factions Multiplayer Mode, and the Treacherous Territories Map Pack bundle $29.99 ($24.99 CAN)

These prices reflect US and CAN pricing. Please check your local PlayStation Store for regional pricing. We hope to see all you new fans of The Last of Us on May 12th!

Why someone would want to buy Left Behind as a standalone game is beyond me. Surely they would have played TLOU before trying the dlc, and Left Behind is included in the PS4 remastered version of TLOU. So er, yeah, strange decision.

The DLC literally recommends you play the main game before Left Behind on the main menu, I would never recommend it as a taster for the full game.  The backstory stuff is only half of the DLC's content, it also alternates between present day gameplay that spoils a major event that happens about 60% into the game (where the "present" section of the DLC occurs).  Thematically speaking it also spoils the fact that Ellie is playable at all, which is treated with major impact in the main game when it first occurs.

The only thing I could say this is good for is people who can't afford to buy new games regularly and traded in their copy of The Last of Us after finishing it to buy their next title, thus having no way to play the DLC.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why someone would want to buy Left Behind as a standalone game is beyond me.

Because I have the PS3 version.

Now I can just buy Left Behind on my PS4 instead of the whole game + DLC which is more expensive.

• 1 month later...

Urm.... Nolan North might have just confirmed The last of Us 2.

Skip to 1h 6m 30s

I thought it was all but confirmed from previous talkings anyway, but guess this is as confirmation as confirmation gets that it has started development now.

Hmmm...I don't know if they should continue Joel and Ellie's story or perhaps focus on new characters in general. I'm kind of hoping it focuses on new people.

They've said quite a few times in previous rumblings of Last of Us 2 that it'll focus on a new cast in the same world.  Specifically, they said that Joel and Ellie's story is done and over.

Of course it's possible that either of them could show up, or the writers might change their mind, or even that "their story" was specifically meant to refer to the arc of their development together in TLOU and they may still be major characters but the story won't be about THEM like it was TLOU1 etc.

Most likely not, just stating the possibilities of wiggle room assuming they stay true to what they've said.

Btw I'm still really fucking salty that the final scene written for them was only performed to a room full of fans and was only experienced by the rest of the fanbase through anecdotal means.

• 1 year later...

*bump*

Bit late with this. Only just noticed because I played TLOU today.

TLOU Remastered received 1.07 patch on 1st November which adds:

Improved stereo audio with today’s update:

• Added support for PlayStation 4 Pro
  • Added support for High Dynamic Range display
  • Improved quality of stereo audio

Back in September, Digital Foundry learned from Naughty Dog that The Last of Us Remastered will run at native 4K on PS4 Pro. There will also be an improved 60 frames-per-second mode.

Related image

1/12 EDIT: We now have patch 1.08!

No patch notes so far. Looks like just bug fixes.