Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

I don't really like the anime, the first ones up till the johto league were good imo though.

I like the game, but out of all the pokemon they have now, choosing a team of 6 is just impossible for me, so I stopped playing.

Both the Indigo and Orange League were the best arcs of the series. It started getting really fillery around Johto, which is when I when I lost interest in the show for a while, but thankfully Black and White made it redeem itself by being a very good arc so far.

I loved the opening theme from Indigo arc and the Pokerap. They were both very catchy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh mah gahd. I remember the good old days when Ash first got Pikachu and Pikachu was a dick to Ash until it almost got killed and Ash ran it to the pokemon center after stealing Misty's bike (god I'm 19 and I feel SO OLD). But yes, those days WERE THE SHIT. I'm seriously about to start singin' the poke-rap. ♪I want to be the best there ever was, to beat all the rest, yea that's my cause♪ I'm such a nerd but IDGAF!

I LOVED that series as a kid! It has some of my best nostalgic moments and putting a vhs copy never gets old. That being said my mileage with the movies vary. The first one i liked and teh rise of darkrai i loved. The celebi and shayman one were ok and the rest i just found bad. I don't know why. And if that wasn't bad they've milked that series to death dragging it on way to long(just like yu-gi-oh)God i can't stand the new shows! THEY GOT RID OF FUCKING BROCK.

y-u-no-guy.jpg?1308157550

SERIOUSLY WHY U GET RID OF HIM! i was fine with misty leaving BUT BROCK?! And wow ashe's voice is annoying now. But i will watch and be nostalgic about the old episodes.

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

I will say it right now.

I wanted Brock's unrequited love to be requited dammit

The guy is awesome

And he deserves all teh womanz he can get :r

• Thumbs Up 4

Pokemon... I really could say a lot about this. I'm tired though, so I'm not going to, at least for now...

I used to LOVE Pokemon when I was younger. I watched the show all the time, I got all the games, I occasionally played the card game. Now though, I really don't care anymore. It's gotten out of hand, and their ideas are constantly being recycled and keep getting dumber....

• The show was good for a while, it started going downhill after the first generation though...
  • The games aren't bad, and never were. They are incredibly repetitive though, and each game is pretty much the same...
  • As for the card game though, I lost interest in that completely...

There's my story, summed up in a very short amount of text...

I liked it up until Misty went away... Then the series just got stagnant and became the same spew over and over again, eventually even Meowth couldn't save the show for me...

Misty was fucking hot.

As a kid, I loved the Pokemon anime, having been recently hooked on the original Gameboy games. It was an awesome adaptation of the new hit game of its time, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Of course, my main reason for loving Pokemon was this terrible trio!

Team_Rocket.png

Team Rocket was the best part of this show, and all three of them simply oozed personality. The heroes were okay, but the villains were always the highlight of every episode for me, and I always looked forward to whatever wacky antics they'd gotten themselves into. They were one of my earliest "funny sympathetic villain" fandoms, and I was a bit obsessed with them as a kid during the initial Pokemon boom- In a way, they set the precedent for my fandom for Eggman and similar characters later on.

I've since lost track of the ever-ongoing anime series, but I may check it out sometimes, just to see what these three are up to. I don't know what to expect after having not seen the show in so long, but I'm prepared for trouble (And make it double).

Edited by Fancypants
  • Thumbs Up 5

I remember staying up until like 5 AM every night playing Red version and then pretending I got some sleep before my mom woke me, though they figured it out because I often fell asleep during class and needed so many battery replacement for my GB, remember they used AA batteries back then. None of those rechargable fancy-shmancy batteries you kids use nowadays.

But this is about the anime so, I'll say that I was infatuated with it in 3rd grade. I had tons of fucking geek wars about who was the best pokemon and such as well as episode discussions, though not at all like the ones I have on the internet nowadays. The ones I had back then were usually more mature! though not as perverted or as funny laugh.png I watched every single Kanto episode and felt pretty bad for Ash when he lost because of Charizard's disobedience. I watched the Orange Island saga, most of the Johto saga, about half of the Hoenn, and about 1/3 of Sinnoh. I haven't watched a single episode of Black & White though for some reason... I'd love to get a 64 gb iPad just so I can have all the episodes on it somehow. I'm not even sure if all 600+ will fit even on that!

Edited by Derpy the Snowmare

Loved the series as a kid, Black and White caught my interest and it's definitely the best season of the show so far (in all honesty the first few seasons are terrible, but my nostalgia goggles makes me love them anyways). Ash's Oshawott is a complete badass and alone makes B&W worth the watch really.

I should start watching it again, I got up to about episode 30 with the subbed Japanese.

I loved this series as a kid and I still casually watch it now when it's on.

I started the anime, (and the franchise in general,) during the second Gen, so to me, Johto is my "Kanto" and Hoenn is my "johto," ect. if that makes sense. I've played Yellow, but as far as the anime goes, I've missed out on a good chunk of the first season, saw a good portion of the second, got hooked with the third, and followed the series from there.

Unlike most people who trailed off around the start of Johto or Hoenn, I kept on watching. I loved the Johto and Hoenn sagas, and I especially liked seeing how the animation would evolve over time. I loved Johto because as it was airing, I was playing through Crystal at the time, which was my first Pokemon game, so it'll always hold a special place for me. The Whirl island arc and the Lugia stuff was great, and the Silver conference was epic, being the first league I got to see as it was airing. And Hoenn man, it was the most badass season, to me, the Pokemon, the themesongs, the character's clothes. Duuuuude. And not only that, but it was also pure eye candy for me as a kid, and I liked the whole "fresh start" thing, though I did miss Misty. Infact, I kept watching all the way up until 2006 when the final 4kids episode "Pasta la vista!" aired. after that, the Battle frontier saga started in Season 9, which is when the voice actors, writers, and theme-song writers were replaced, after Pokemon International took over, which was like someone coming into my house and replacing my family with look-a-likes, tearing my heart out in the process. After that I switched to "Casual mode" and only watched the series occasionally, missing most of battle frontier saga. I just couldn't stomach the new actors. Ironically though, I did see most of the Sinnoh Saga, which I stayed tuned for when I realized that I just had to suck it up and deal with the VA change.

Now, with the Black and White series, I'm also watching it casually when I get the chance, It's pretty ok, but I kinda wish they changed it up a little more, like say, a timeskip or something, but what we got is still alright.

In terms of the Movies, my favorites are Pokemon the Movie 2000, (Ash saved the freaking wurld- the stakes were higher than ALL the other movies, and I'm a sucker for high stakes, as you guys know,) Pokemon Heroes, (loved this one's Japanese soundtrack) Pokemon, Jirachi Wishmaker, (also loved this one's Japanese soundtrack and the story with Max and stuff) Destiny Deoxys, (this movie was a breath of fresh air, most of the movies take place in old-ish, settings, but this one took place in a futuristic city, and the film looked great as well, LOVED the use of colors in this one,) and some of the more recent ones like the 10-12 trilogy because they look so good animation-wise that you can see into forever.

Edited by Jingle Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now, with the Black and White series, I'm also watching it casually when I get the chance, It's pretty ok, but I kinda wish they changed it up a little more, like say, a timeskip or something, but what we got is still alright.

Speaking of time skips, how old is Ash now in the anime? He can't still be 10 or 12.

Speaking of time skips, how old is Ash now in the anime? He can't still be 10 or 12.

I believe Black & White said he was 10 in the first episode.

That's the thing, he's still 10.

Pissed alot of long-time watchers off.

The Pokemon anime... one of the few things 4kids did right. I think I stopped watching sometime during or after Johto when I felt it started getting really formulaic. Before that, though, I loved the hell out of show as a kid and had a bit of a crush on Misty, Officer Jenny, and Jessie.

On another note, I couldn't have been the only one to root for Team Rocket to win, was I?

That's the thing, he's still 10.

Pissed alot of long-time watchers off.

Ok, that's crazy... Now that I think about, wow, Ash has collected more women than he has Pokemon in less than a year. :P

Haven't watched an episode of Black and White once.

Should I? :r

I'd go for it, it's pretty great, and if your a fan of the shiny-sparkly-eye candy-type aspects of shows like I am, You'll be in for a treat, especially if you can catch it in HD. The trees, the clouds, everything looks great.

Though I don't really like the srs-rockets at the start though, and I sorta miss Brock, but Cilan is a decent replacement, and Iris ain't bad either.

Edited by Jingle Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel honored that I inspired such a topic XD.

My first encounter with the anime happened around 11 years ago, when my mother had bought me the VHS copy of episodes 10-12 (the Kanto starter Pokemon eps) as a surprise present. Once I finished the Squirtle Squad episode, I knew I was hooked to the anime.

Using money from allowances, Christmas, and from my birthday, I managed to grab the entire Kanto saga on VHS, something I felt very proud of. I also regularly tuned into the anime on Kids WB and caught glimpses of the Orange Islands and Johto saga.

Once I moved, however, I no longer had KidsWB to watch, so I was basically out in the cold with no new Pokemon episodes. I had no idea what happened at the end of Johto, I had no clue Misty had left Ash and Brock, I had no idea May had joined the cast, I didn't know any of this; when I played through my copy of Pokemon Ruby, I started imagining anime like scenarios to fill in the blanks with what I missed. Among them was Ash refusing to battle in the Petaburg gym because I had gone with the idea that Norman was Ash's father XD. I finally did manage to snag a DVD of Jirachi Wish Maker, but I distinctly remember asking to myself "Who the heck is this short kid, and why is the Hoenn girl here? Hmm, Brock's still here...maybe Misty just doesn't have a major role in this movie?" Then I watched the movie and alllllll was revealed. Truth be told, I liked May and Max from the start, but damn, the lack of Misty kind of upset the younger kid in me, and the 4Kids dub edit that had Ash mention Misty didn't make things better XD. Regardless, I still hadn't discovered the wonders of the internet yet, but I kept in touch with the anime via Destiny Deoxys.

A couple of years later, Cartoon Network started broadcasting episodes from the Battle Frontier Saga as part of its Maguzi block, so that was the moment that I could finally catch up on the anime and understand what had happened. From there I was exposed to Drew and the badass that was Harley, and thanks to the Pokemon Chronicles episodes that had aired from time to time, I was able to figure out just what happened to Misty. So, except for the huge chunk of Johto and Hoenn I missed, I had finally figured out what had been going on in the show, and the marathon of Pokemo episodes CN showed to hype up the new Pokemon Diamond and Pearl series allowed me to fill in even more of the blanks; I still remember waking up at 5 am to watch Gotta Catch Ya Later, to see firsthand what had happened with the original trio.

Diamond and Pearl came by, but as the episodes went on by, I just started to lose interest. Dawn was stale as holy hell, Brock had long since outlived his usefulness and appeal, and the rival, Paul, only appeared every so often to spice things up. Thanks in part to me wanting to finish up high school with little distraction, I just stopped watching the show altogether, coming back into it only one time, to watch the Wallace Cup. By then I was in college with classes and no cable, so I couldn't continue to watch the anime regularly.

Around that time, I joined a couple of Pokemon forums in an effort to discuss the show pre-Hoenn, as that formed the bulk of what I watched of the shows; it was around that time that I got exposed to just how loony and awesome the shipping fandom was XD. I also kept tabs on how the anime progressed. Dawn and Brock still remained as interesting as a wet carrot, Paul still only showed up once a moon, and the Pokemon just never felt amazing to me; the DP saga was definitely a weak link in the show to me aside from some choice highlights like the Wallace Cup, and Ash vs. Paul at the Suzuran Conference. I still keep tabs on the show now as its gone to Black and White; Cilan is an interesting character, but his mematic status can go die in a fire, and Iris seems like she has some hidden depths to her character that have yet to be explored. Each of the Pokemon now, sans Tepig, have distinct personalities that keep things lively and fresh, a stark contrast to how the previous 4 sagas handled it. And BW Team Rocket is always a sight to watch. Haven't devoted some time to watching BW for an extended period of time, but I plan to get on that.

So yeah, that's my spiel. *collapses*

• Thumbs Up 4

I LOVED that series as a kid! It has some of my best nostalgic moments and putting a vhs copy never gets old. That being said my mileage with the movies vary. The first one i liked and teh rise of darkrai i loved. The celebi and shayman one were ok and the rest i just found bad. I don't know why. And if that wasn't bad they've milked that series to death dragging it on way to long(just like yu-gi-oh)God i can't stand the new shows! THEY GOT RID OF FUCKING BROCK.

y-u-no-guy.jpg?1308157550

SERIOUSLY WHY U GET RID OF HIM! i was fine with misty leaving BUT BROCK?! And wow ashe's voice is annoying now. But i will watch and be nostalgic about the old episodes.

Everything good about my childhood can be summed up by this show alone. Pokemon was the shit when I was growing up, and I begged my mom to get me a game until she finally got Gold version, and the rest is history. As for the anime, I loved the shit out of it when I was a kid, its part of the reason I almost failed grades K-2 because I would neglect my homework just to watch the newest episode after school. When it switched to Saturday mornings, it along with Yugioh were the only reason I got up on Saturdays, and I would be massively pissed whenever I missed an episode(Which happened a lot when Master Quest was still airing). Charizard the best fucking Pokemon hands down, and I would get so fucking psyched when he battled because his battles were always the best, the only other battle that came close was Pikachu against Dragonite with that epic Thunder at the end. I was so into it, I didn't even care that Brock was gone, I was still enjoying the shit out of it. When Johto first came on, it felt like I stepped into an entirely new world; New pokes, New music and it was fucking awesome, and I still had that feeling when Advanced first aired too. By the time D/P aired though I was used to it, and it really didn't have the same "ump" that the other three had and I was still getting used to the new VA's.

As for characters, eh I never really felt any particular attachment to any of them; I guess my favorite was Misty if only because she was the most emotive of the three, not even Team Rocket stuck out to me that much. But I was young and couldn't appreciate good characterization like I can now. The original trio were Ok, I mean Ash was a lot stupider back then, but he was definitely a lot more interesting than he is now. Tracy was bland, didn't care for him. May started off annoying, but eventually grew on me for actually bringing something new for a change. Max was annoying, didn't care about him. Dawn was a rehashed May, so I didn't care for her or her ridiculously short skirt. Brock became an overused Running gag by the time D/P was around he really served no purpose; he makes the least amount of progression character wise, and was so damn underutilized, even as far back as Kanto. He barely caught any new Pokemon, even ones that would've made sense for him to get(Aron, Rhyhorn, etc.), and was only exposition, I'm glad they finally got rid of him, nostalgia be damned.

I like Iris & Cilan, probably as much as the original trio(Pre-Johto anyway), both of them have interesting personalities, their own rivals(Something that's never been done before), and actually catch a fair share of Pokemon instead of Ash being the only one allowed to get something new. Their Pokemon are also a lot more interesting(I love Emolga & Snivy). I'm also kind of glad they decided to utilize Team Rocket as effective villains again, instead of reducing them to an annoying running gag, seriously there's only so many "We're blasting off again" you can take before you get annoyed by it, and the amount of poor disguises just got grating.

Black/White has finally repeaked my interest in the series, because I got bored with Diamond & Pearl, and it felt like a chore to watch. I don't feel the same way I did as back in the day, but I'm still pretty psyched.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHpax6HqXSI

So ya wanna be a master,POKEMON

Do ya have the skills to be NUMBER ONE!

We all Live in a Pokemon World, I wanna be the greatest master of the alllllll! (Pikkkkaaaaachuuuuuuu).

I swear that intro was fucking awesome back when I was a kid.

Edited by FrostySilencer
  • Thumbs Up 4