Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

7 hours ago, Marcello said:

mJDTh8A.jpg

Looks like Team Rocket might also be getting a Mimikyu? I actually really like that idea.

Nice to see Ash is Team Rowlet :D

Ignoring how the Sun & Moon anime looks like absolute shit, can we focus on the amazing 2-parter that just aired?

Cause good god, that was easily the best episode and best arc this entire series has ever had. League be damned, XY(&Z) truly is easily the best anime series in the franchise. (Even if I'm even more salty about the league now thanks to S&M)

And from the looks of things, will continue to be so for awhile. At least until this next one is over and the Gen 8 one starts.

So long, Lysandre. Rest in spaghetti, never forgetti. Always regretti. As villain, you're the bestie. <3

>looks like absolute shit

It's the freshest and most interesting the anime's looked in years. The animation had taken a big improvement lately, now the designs are catching up.

• Thumbs Up 9

30 minutes ago, The KKM said:

It's the freshest and most interesting the anime's looked in years. The animation had taken a big improvement lately, now the designs are catching up.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about S&M, not XY.

Anyway, kinda find it hilarious how the eyecatch of episode 40 and today's episode 43 had two of Ash's other aces and strongest mons.

PYwNJyn.png

It's almost like they actually knew what his real ultimate team would be versus his Kalos League one. lol

• Thumbs Up 2

Count me in for the 'Yes' camp to the new animation style. There's a certain charm to fluid animation that in motion can look really stunning. That, and taking into account the new setting I feel it could work for the better. 

The teaser we got certainly didn't do it justice I feel due its low quality. 

Aside from Ash's weird face, I actually liked what I saw. Like some have said the slice of life of a middle school pokemon trainer could be a good move if the writers get it right.

5 hours ago, Azoo said:

Here's a better quality version of the clip.

The amount of salt/hate that the animation style is getting in the retweets and replies to this is kinda hilarious. Oh no, Pokemon is looking more cartoony and lively than ever before!! It's terrible!

If you say so :/

I'd rather take the style they've be fine tuning and perfecting for 19 years into something pretty dang beautiful and very well animated over something completely jarring and frankly,  sloppy looking

It boggles my mind that they'd want to reinvent the wheel for something that wasn't broken to begin with. 

I don't hate the new style, im sure it will grow on me when it comes time to air but maaaan it's gonna take some time getting used to lol 

And Ash's design is blah, it's the one thing I straight up don't like 

• Thumbs Up 2

>sloppy looking

jesus christ why bother adding any joy into animation, any cartooning, if every attempt just gets treated as "sloppy"

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, The KKM said:

>sloppy looking

jesus christ why bother adding any joy into animation, any cartooning, if every attempt just gets treated as "sloppy"

Am I not allowed to think it doesn't look utterly flawless and needs work and  I should be elated a perfectly good looking style was thrown away for no reason? Or is that just not happening? 

• Thumbs Up 5

I actually like how the animation and most of the designs look, but let's be real here. They fucked Ash's face up BAD. I think that's getting in the way of a lot of people accepting the new style. most of the other characters don't look all that different than how they would look in the old style, so why did they fuck up ash?

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Eh, it honestly looks like Digimon Tri's animation but on a slight lower budget that's more fluidly.

Hopefully this will actually have a plot unlike Tri's

• Thumbs Up 1

Back to xyz for a bit. 

I saw the ep. But did Ash or Steven acknowledge knowing each other. My bets are on no they didnt

Is it still the same art and animation team behind the previous series's? or did they purge them to try out a new art and animation team?

It's a different animation studio apparently the animators for XY are working on another project

14 hours ago, Soniman said:

Am I not allowed to think it doesn't look utterly flawless and needs work and  I should be elated a perfectly good looking style was thrown away for no reason? Or is that just not happening? 

14 hours ago, Soniman said:

I'd rather take the style they've be fine tuning and perfecting for 19 years into something pretty dang beautiful and very well animated over something completely jarring and frankly,  sloppy looking

I'd hardly call anything about the Pokemon series in a long time to be anything close to a majorly visually appealing anime (despite the fight scene choreography in XYZ being a lot more impressive than they used to be (thanks for finally using those billions of storaged dollars, TPC!)). Plus, 19 years to polish an art style that's usually sterile stills, mouth flaps and slow pans, and calling the one that actually vividly conveys movement and emotion in non-battle scenes is sloppy? I mean, different strokes for different folks, but sheesh.

And before this gets brought up (as it has frequently on social media), the amount of hate I've seen people giving to in-between frames from those previews is hilarious. Ever heard of smears, guys? Maybe not considering anime's very infrequent use of them, but still.

I think you guys are getting way over dismissive about this and most of the response has been some variant of intense repulsion. Granted, maybe I'm getting too over defensive about this subject; even though I can't tell you if I'm gonna like this show or not. And I know, getting used to something different after it looking the same for a million years is understandable, and in all honesty my entire lineup of opinions are contrary to almost every current diehard PokeAni fan's, so what do I know lmao.

THEN AGAIN, this is yet another reinvention for a new audience, so the fact that people are still expecting them to keep whatever supposed "legacy" they'd built with their characters, plots or even now the art style is kinda silly. IDK be upset if you want or whatever, but the amount of vitrol and lack of appreciation for what's being done is kinda funny when it really roots from how many people are upset because a constantly refreshing series doesn't keep to personal expectations lol.

Oh yeah.. and before anyone calls me out on being this way in the past about the original series, then make note from earlier I kinda gave up on that mindset altogether.

Am I still salt that the OS never got the treatment it ultimately deserved? Absolutely, yeah! But I've just accepted the series' nature at this point; meanwhile after I and others have got barked at incessantly before for "you're just mad that it ain't like you liked it anymore", only for some of the same people to go "well it's different for us/this because!!" when someone calls them out for doing the same thing with their preferred era of the series... it makes the salt mounds a beautiful combination of humorous and irritating. A delicious double-standard of sorts. :v

But I suppose that's another kettle o' fish. Or is it? I don't even know, it's 2am.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is the most interesting and fun the anime has looked in years. Not all of the sakuga battles in the world could get me to bother with XY, but this actually looks fucking adorable. Almost gives me hope that Ash will accomplish his overarching goal for the season.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

This is the most interesting and fun the anime has looked in years. Not all of the sakuga battles in the world could get me to bother with XY, but this actually looks fucking adorable. Almost gives me hope that Ash will accomplish his overarching goal for the season.

I thought you said Pokemon was repetitive garbage?

...Actually if you're changing your mind on that (or at least willing to try this new one because of the animation), that's great! The more the merrier. :D

To people who don't like/watch/care about the anime to any degree past OS and disliked the previous animation/artstyle and all that jazz and are being reeled in with this, more power to them. 

As someone who HAS enjoyed the anime who has liked the previous artstyle and found it charming and it was nice to actually see it consistently evolve into something really polished and good looking for ONE SAGA, before replacing it with a weird style with a bad Ash design TO ME, yeah it's gonna take a bit of getting used to, I'm not gonna hop on board right away just because it's diffrent and therefore better.  And I don't even especially dislike it, it's just.. I don't instantly prefer it to the old style is all. 

Like you can tell me all the ways current Pokemon still looks bad but when I see the animation go from this

tumblr_oaobfcKjFq1qgs3bao1_500.gif

to this

tumblr_odjnjgf5VG1vncscso10_r1_250.gif

I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow and be at least a little skeptical on where the direction is going 

• Thumbs Up 3

These were ok the remixes were amazing and the animation is great wish these were longer tho. And the magnamite scene was pretty cool I love seeing Pokemon being used outside of battle for things like this it's the best part about the other media. My only complaint is that Pikachu's voice is annoying and Looker's design is not good. They were trying to hard too make him look different compared to the main series and the games he just looks out of place with everybody else.