Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

So episode 9 aired, thoughts in spoilers.

Spoiler

Apparantly, Tapu Koko got the Z ring to Ash by stealing it from HALA's HOUSE. From the looks of things he didn't seem to mind though.

Whole episode in a shell nut was basically trying to get the Totem Gumshoos and his yungoos/gumshoos to scare off a pack of Alolan Ratattatas/Raticates, since they were stealing from the village. 

When D'Fekt is Team Rocket gonna catch Bewear already?

...And Ash gets the Normalium Z. I love how the totem just nearly shoves him and gives it to him almost like a gym leader.

So I watched Episode 10 via stream.

Any and all lingering fears and worries of Ash and Pikachu's skill and Rowlet's potential have all been 100% cleared.

Not only did Ash beat Hala on the first try, he swept him. Rowlet beat Crabrawler and then went to sleep and Pikachu KOed Hariyama with Breakneck Blitz which Ash researched and learned on his own before the match. This makes the 4th Hariyama Ash has ever beaten. I wonder if he'll go for 5?

Very impressed with the way things turns out and I now have nothing but positive feelings and hopes for Sun & Moon. Looking forward to the next episode where we visit Kiawe's family on Akala. His mom and little sister are both pretty cute.

I've seen Episode 10.

Spoiler

YO, ROWLET WAS A BADASS IN THIS. It falling asleep was hilarious in hindsight.

Battle was alright, there were some stratigic moments.

I was not expecting to hear music from Generations 4 and 5 here! They played altered versions of the E4 Sinnoh battle theme and Arriving at E4 Unova theme.

Tapu Koko took the fighting Z crystal and replaced it with another electric Z crystal what. I guess that makes sense ish, but Ash is gonna need a grass Z crystal for rowlet...

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I think the SM series is pretty decent. I'm warming up to the new style still, but I like how competent Ash still is in battle and his battle with Kahuna Hala proved that. I'm enjoying the plots and the cast also, though I think they overdo the slapstick to the point where it gets annoying seeing Ash knocked around every episode. I just wonder where they'll go from here on and if Ash will head off to do the Akala Island trials and battle Olivia next.

Get ready for just the cutest little nod to the past you've ever seen courtesy of Episode 12:

21e3oyp.jpg

THEY NEVER FORGOT THEM. ;_;

I'm loving how Sun and Moon's done a pretty great job of acknowledging the past in little ways like this. Makes it a little bit stronger for us dedicated viewers.

• Thumbs Up 6

I just heard that the English dub of the XY finale actually stayed faithful to the Japanese version by playing the end credits over the flashbacks. Nice!

So.....this happened

I'll be dammed! They did it! Team Rocket actually beat Ash for once! Real shame about that cop-out with Bewear towards the end though. Also, Mimikyu is still terrifying as fuck!

Sun and Moon really set the bar high for the series now!

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I just heard that the English dub of the XY finale actually stayed faithful to the Japanese version by playing the end credits over the flashbacks. Nice!

And, more importantly, they didn't edit out that scene from Serena's goodbye. Music wasn't as good, though.

The dub music has always been a problem. XY was when it got worse because the composer-Ed Goldfarb treats it like an Opera/Classic Ballet and is trying to be like John Williams...which doesn't work for a show like this. The Pokemon Company should stop being cheapasses for once and use the original soundtrack(and get better voice direction).

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

The dub music has always been a problem. XY was when it got worse because the composer-Ed Goldfarb treats it like an Opera/Classic Ballet and is trying to be like John Williams...which doesn't work for a show like this. The Pokemon Company should stop being cheapasses for once and use the original soundtrack(and get better voice direction).

The Sun/Moon dub is at least off to a good start, the pilot used the EXACT SAME soundtrack as the Japanese original. They even kept in the silent ambient bits for once rather than sticking in little home made jingles.

Didn't they do the same thing for the first two episodes of XY tho?

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Didn't they do the same thing for the first two episodes of XY tho?

Been a while since I saw it, but didn't they stick in a ton of their own jingles as usual? The S/M dub pilot didn't use any new music from what I remember.

I do know that the standard tracks from the first episode were about the only ones they bothered keeping in later episodes (eg. the Kalos battle music, the Team Rocket motto theme, the title card and 'Pokemon main theme' opening music), suggesting they only bought the rights to the music from that ONE episode. :P 

So episode 11-

Spoiler
  • Rowlet's a badass with Breakneck Blitz
  • Kiawe's family is nice and his little sister's cute
  • His grandfather reminded me of an older version of Lysandre.
  • Lol'd when Ash got kicked by a Mudbray when he didn't comb it right.
  • Team Skull shows up again! For a few minutes.

Then Episode 12-

Spoiler
  • Nice homage to Team Rocket's Kanto Pokemon
  • Mareanie is the new Cacnea/Carnavine for James now
  • Now that I think about it, James' hairstyle looks a bit close to Mareanie's style...
  • AND TEAM ROCKET ACTUALLY BEAT ASH
  • ....And they STILL didn't catch the Bewear.

• 2 weeks later...

So episode 13 was eh, just a pancake race.

Spoiler

How da fak is dat Koala Pokemon balancing those pancakes while rolling?!

Also, they see me rolling, they hating!

But episode 14...

Spoiler

Continuing from the previous one, the Egg hatches and it's an Alolan Vulpix and ITS CUTE AAAAAAAAAA

Lillie was so awesome here, she's slowly becoming my favorite character.

AND THE FACES SHE MAKES WHEN SHE CAUGHT VULPIX IS TOO CUTE!

She also named her Pokemon Shiron. What's it mean in English?

I wonder what name the dub'll come up with.

Y'know...I think this is the first time a main character has had a nicknamed Pokemon? That's pretty neat, and it's cute as a nod to "Nebby"--hopefully if Lillie catches any new Pokemon in the future she names them too.

I think the dub might give it the same name like they did with Zygarde. It was called "Squishy" in both languages.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Y'know...I think this is the first time a main character has had a nicknamed Pokemon? That's pretty neat, and it's cute as a nod to "Nebby"--hopefully if Lillie catches any new Pokemon in the future she names them too.

Technically James was the first (Growlie the Growlith) and then Misty (Caserin the Luvdisc)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, I forgot about Growlie and I...straight up didn't know Misty had a Luvdisc (I haven't seen the special / Chronicles episodes, lol).

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

If it's from "white" and "rolling," and it's an Alolan Vulpix, then surely the only answer is "Snowball."

• Thumbs Up 3

Ash artwork for the upcoming movie.

C47jZicWMAA_JJ0.jpg

This has been noted before, but it is interesting his hat's symbol looks a little like the one on his Alola hat.

• Thumbs Up 6

26 minutes ago, Celestia said:

This has been noted before, but it is interesting his hat's symbol looks a little like the one on his Alola hat.

A little bit, yeah

Sun_Moon_Protagonist_male.pngAsh_SM.png

Maybe like a cross between his current generation hat symbol and the original?

Ash_OS_1.png

Kind of like how his face hearkens back more to the original generation as well, but with a slight touch of the colored irises from later seasons.

I wish DisneyXD would start airing NEW Sun & Moon eps already instead of just spamming reruns of XY.   I know they are probably waiting until they have more episodes to work with, but I was under the impression that SM eps would start on the network this month, still all we have gotten in English is the first 2-episodes that got previewed back in November. :(

As for the new style, I like it, makes Pokémon look like it finally has a decent budget, much more fluid/organic, almost has a Adventure Time/Steven Universe feel to it.

So in today's episode 

Spoiler

Ash caught Rockruff which isn't a surprise since we saw him in the intro with Ash when all the characters were walking with their Pokemon. Turns out that it wasn't really Professor Kukui's it was just a wild one who he befriended.

• Thumbs Up 1