Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Spoiler

I totally didn't expect Rockruff to join Ash.

Though this is the first time I've seen the intro (I usually watched the episodes on YouTube and whoever uploads them cuts out the credit sequences on the subs) so it was quite a pleasant surprise. I'm still kinda hoping that little stray Litten ends up joining Ash as well.

Overall, I'm enjoying the Sun and Moon anime. I'm still a little "eh" on how Ash and Team Rocket are rendered for some reason--on one hand they're very expressive, but on the other I can't quite get over that their faces look so weird to me, especially since this doesn't affect any other character (nor the Pokémon). It's a minor complaint at this point, but it's something that sticks out to me, still. I suppose it doesn't help I've been watching the Johto arc as well as XY on and off recently and tend to prefer the art styles in those.

Also, I'm wondering if we're going to move on to the other islands eventually? Like, will the school session end and then the trial captains assume their normal/expected roles (assuming they are captains in this continuity) and Ash will be able to see more of the Island Challenge? Granted, it's the Pokémon anime, the story tends to take a while to go anywhere in most seasons, so this doesn't seem all that different, I'm just really curious to see what else Ash catches and what sorts of things he'll get to do eventually outside of Melemele Island.

Spoiler

Wasn't really expecting Ash to catch Rockruff. But that's cool I guess.

His training methods aside from running is really odd tho.

The preview shows Litten coming back, and the other starters? No idea what's happening here.

16 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So in today's episode 

Hide contents

Ash caught Rockruff which isn't a surprise since we saw him in the intro with Ash when all the characters were walking with their Pokemon. Turns out that it wasn't really Professor Kukui's it was just a wild one who he befriended.

Which is funny considering he actually does own a Rockruff in the games.

8 minutes ago, God Eater Lenka said:

Hi I'm emotional now

Oh, same

Spoiler

60ecb62dd613fdc21e8eb7abf271a166.png

I wonder if Ho-Oh really is gonna be a bigger deal this time around.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2017 at 5:36 PM, God Eater Lenka said:

Hi I'm emotional now

Must, See. Now! Boy does that movie look great!

So is anybody going to point out the fact that they showed this off on Ash Wednesday? No? Ok then. I seriously hope what we saw wasn't the whole movie and that there's more to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

So is anybody going to point out the fact that they showed this off on Ash Wednesday? No? Ok then. I seriously hope what we saw wasn't the whole movie and that there's more to it.

Well it more than likely Thursday in Japan right now.

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

Oh, same

Hide contents

60ecb62dd613fdc21e8eb7abf271a166.png

I wonder if Ho-Oh really is gonna be a bigger deal this time around.

It's feather will probably be the bigger deal in the movie that it will.

I saw this pointed out on Tumblr and thought it was a neat little detail. Ash's original generation symbol is on his backpack, so we get a little mix of the old and new!

tumblr_om5sj4Aiu31qkz08qo1_540.gif

I do get "Dragon Ball: Path to Power" (the Dragon Ball tenth anniversary film that retold Goku's first meeting with Bulma and had some details changed with him facing off with the Red Ribbon Army instead of strictly retelling the first arc) vibes from this, so I'm excited to see what they do beyond the first episode details. It'd be neat to see Ho-Oh get some more prominence in the story since it didn't have that in the anime. Ash even gets a Rainbow Wing, so maybe he'll find his way to Tin Tower by the end and come face to face with Ho-Oh as a sort of epilogue?

Would really love for the original cast to return and reprise their roles, just for this occasion, but I doubt it's something TPCI would actually care to do.

Is there another link out there because it's been blocked on "copyright grounds" on my end.

EDIT: got one. In case the above video is blocked for anyone else:

• Thumbs Up 1

Trailer on the official channel since the other one was taken down:

EDIT: New official artwork, too

C54DWkjU4AAYL6O.jpg

And so, Ash finally looks like himself again. THANK GOD!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if this ends up any different from the original story. =D

Even if it doesn't, it'll still be a nice treat to enjoy. <3

Unless the end of the trailer was nothing more than a tease, then Ash is getting a rainbow feather, indicating Ho-oh will be appearing again in the movie.

History has shown that scenes from trailers have never made into the the final version of the movie. I would be surprise if he actually got the rainbow feather. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:06 AM, Dejimon11 said:

History has shown that scenes from trailers have never made into the the final version of the movie. I would be surprise if he actually got the rainbow feather. 

We, ceartain scenes maybe be cut or edited but basic major plot points don't 

On March 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Soniman said:

We, ceartain scenes maybe be cut or edited but basic major plot points don't 

I don't know man do you remember the trailer for the first movie? Which seemed to talk place years in the future where Misty is grown up and had a kid? That seemed to be pretty major.

Or how about in the trailer for the 3rd movie Mewtwo was in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would assume things have changed and obviously the practices and marketing fur movies are a lot different then how it was 20 years ago 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't know man do you remember the trailer for the first movie? Which seemed to talk place years in the future where Misty is grown up and had a kid? That seemed to be pretty major.

Whoa, I've never seen or heard about this before.

But yeah, that's a pretty extreme example from like 20 years ago. As far as I know trailers for the more recent Pokemon movies have at most had a few scenes or ideas that didn't make it into the movie, but that's pretty normal for movie trailers. Of course the movie won't be airing for a few months so in theory things could change, but that's soon enough that I wouldn't expect any major differences between marketing and the final product beyond maybe some finishing touches to the animation.

I don't see any reason they'd cut Ash holding the feather--we don't even know if he'll take it with him or not, tho' it'd be cool if he did and it plays a role later in the movie or something. 

Ok yeah fine here's something more current the hoopa movie. It looked like Arceus was about to do something and the evil Ash scene was a lot different than the movie depicted. But I'm just nitpicking at this point. 

After thinking about it for a week I'm having mixed feelings on I choose you. Like on one hand it's cool to go back to familiar territory since everybody is familiar with with how Ash and Pikachu met and it's a way to get fans who watched stopped watching after Johto/Advanced to come back again. One the other hand I'm kinda sick of the Gen 1 pandering from the franchise as a whole within the last 3-4 years and this isn't helping. As something that's meant to be celebrating 20 years of the anime why not something more original ya know? Kinda like what the mastermind mirage special did 10 years ago only ya know good? 

There was a time were the earlier trailers followed the same formula every time.

-There's a random action scene where Ash and/or other characters is running somewhere and everything around them is hazardous (falling debris, the road they're on is collapsing, etc.)

-A moment where Pikachu is in peril (usually falling from somewhere) and Ash is screaming "PIKACHUUUUU!!!" (seriously, you wouldn't believe how frequently this happens), or at the very least another situation where Ash is screaming Pikachu's name. Sometimes Pikachu yells "PIKA-PI!" back.

-The main, "big bad" legendary Pokemon appears in a big flashy way.

-Ash and friends look on at the creature, usually saying something like "it's *insert legendary here*!"

-Sometimes the creature says something back to them, showcasing their ability to speak telepathically (because that's not overused at all).

-Cue title theme and movie title.

EDIT: basically, make a bingo card of everything I mentioned above and watch this:

So in the latest episode of Sun Moon-

Spoiler

Ash nearly loses the electrium z, and rotom inspired by a detective TV show, goes on a case to find it.

They have to do it without letting Kiawe know, since he's more of the z move user. 

And when he does find out that ash lost the EZ...

YEEZUS CHRIST THE FACES HERE ARE OVERBOARD

• Thumbs Up 1

5LbKAn.jpg

What just occurred to me: could "The Promise Between Ash and Pikachu" be some kind of anime tribute episode? It is the first episode to air after the animes birthday on April 1st after all.

Spoiler

Mallows Bonsweet evolved into a Steenee in today's episode! 

IT'S TOO CUTE DANG IT

Also lol at Sophocles still eating the electrified soup. I guess electricity is in his blood.

Also-

Tapu Koko is back!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just watched the Detective Rotom episode. I was expecting to be kind of bored considering the premise, but holy shit it caught me off guard with some of the comedy and crazy animation. Pikachu pulling on Rotom's hair was a highlight, but this (as well as Pikachu's reaction) was my favourite part (12:04):

"PIKACHUUUrrr....."