Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

We'll probably never know. Better late than never I guess, but airing a tie-in show half a year after its respective video games come out is pretty dumb.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, Ernest-Panda said:

Why such the massive delay?

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, these things can take time I'm sure, for a variety of reasons.

But I won't lie: I was tempted to just make a joke about how it must take so long to remove all that good background music...

So while you guys are being made to wait, the dub has been airing here in the UK for the last week (an episode a day for the Easter holidays), we've even overtaken Canada. We've reached the episode where Lillie gets the egg.

7 hours ago, -Robin- said:

tumblr_ooplyqeYnz1rr8asvo1_1280.jpg

I can't believe May and Brock are dead.

We knew them well...

On amother note, this week's episode was an odd one. I did like the callback to the previous characters though as mentioned in the image above.

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

So while you guys are being made to wait, the dub has been airing here in the UK for the last week (an episode a day for the Easter holidays), we've even overtaken Canada. We've reached the episode where Lillie gets the egg.

Huh. Kinda wish I still had Disney XD now. Do you know if there are any significant changes with the dub up to the latest episodes?

8 minutes ago, Metal Sonic NEGA said:

Huh. Kinda wish I still had Disney XD now. Do you know if there are any significant changes with the dub up to the latest episodes?

I wouldn't know that much since I haven't really watched many of the Japanese episodes. All I can say is that the BGM's been replaced, as has been usual for the dub as of late.

Ah, okay then. I mean, if the dub stays true enough to the original dialogue-wise, I might just watch it that way. (Then again, I still haven't finished watching XYZ, so... I should probably get around to that.)

There aren't many dramatic edits besides the music, otherwise it's just like XY, pretty much the same show, but watered down in translation.

The dialogue is the same but with corny wooden reiteration, all but about five recurring tracks from the Japanese edit are gone in favour of generic elevator music, and from what I know none of the extras like the Poke Problem or the ending stingers remain. Basically not a hack job but as bare bones an effort as you can get.

Oh, and all the voices seem to be the same this series except for any Kayzie Rodgers voices since she has allegedly retired, Wobbuffet is now voiced by Bella Hudson.

I thought Wobbuffet sounded different. 

That means Jimmy Zoppi is the last remaining cast member who has been with the show nonstop since the beginning.

6 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I thought Wobbuffet sounded different. 

That means Jimmy Zoppi is the last remaining cast member who has been with the show nonstop since the beginning.

Well Ted Lewis is still here despite some brief leaves in both the 4Kids and TPCI eras. Didn't Dan Green and Rachel Lillis come back to do voices in the TPCI dub too?

It is a shame, especially since the dub seemed to value Rodgers as Wobbuffet's VA (in her brief absence during DP, her roles were replaced except Wobbuffet, who used stock footage, she also got back some of her old roles unlike other returning members). Still Hudson is at least one of the more decent replacement voices (amusing too since she also did fellow motto caller Chimecho during AG).

10 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Well Ted Lewis is still here despite some brief leaves in both the 4Kids and TPCI eras. Didn't Dan Green and Rachel Lillis come back to do voices in the TPCI dub too?

It is a shame, especially since the dub seemed to value Rodgers as Wobbuffet's VA (in her brief absence during DP, her roles were replaced except Wobbuffet, who used stock footage, she also got back some of her old roles unlike other returning members). Still Hudson is at least one of the more decent replacement voices (amusing too since she also did fellow motto caller Chimecho during AG).

I was actually referring to actors who had never left the series, even during the transition from 4Kids to PUSA, but apparently I was wrong; Rogers too took brief leave during the transition. Zoppi is the only actor who has constantly stayed on the show for its entire 20 year run.

When it comes to actors who have been with the show on-and-off since the show began, the only actors left I can think of are Ted Lewis, Roger Parsons, and Lisa Ortiz. Rachel Lillis is in LA now, and I think Dan Green has pretty much retired from voice acting aside from reprising his role as Yugi in the new Yu-Gi-Oh anniversary film.

Another interesting note is that ALL the Pokemon's voices aside from Pikachu's are dubbed this series, even the ones that just grunted and didn't need translating in any way.

While most of them actually sound like a decent replica, it does come off as redundant. Is the dub ashamed of using sound resources from the Japanese material or something?

Ah, his one dub edit I just found out about: in episode 6, after Ash eats the badly cooked meal near the beginning, they cut out the bit where he throws up.

Huh they introduced Gladion a lot sooner than I expected. Also it seems like Ash's Rockruff will evolve into Lycanroc midday to counter Gladion's midnight 

C-VJcH4XgAEmKzF.jpg

C-VJcIAXsAAtDDF.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm still waiting for episodes 21 - 23 to be subbed. B| Unless they have been and I just haven't seen 'em yet. Eh, I can wait.

4 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Huh they introduced Gladion a lot sooner than I expected. Also it seems like Ash's Rockruff will evolve into Lycanroc midday to counter Gladion's midnight 

C-VJcH4XgAEmKzF.jpg

C-VJcIAXsAAtDDF.jpg

Oooh boy this is gonna be GOOOOD

Gladeon is nicely drawn here, and I see an Ultra ball! Seems like he also has an Umbreon! 

I wonder whether he'll get the Type:Null later on...

Episode 23 thoughts:

Spoiler

The diglet is cute!

Kiawe losing his shiz on how good the music was is pretty funny.

Also in the next episode, it looks like Ash's mom is coming back, and so is Team Skull!

Oh nice, Gladion. I haven't really been keeping up with the series that much, but now I'll have to get back into it.

Debut episode and they cut right to the chase by giving him another Pokemon that evolves through happiness.

I like the attachment Ash's Mom seems to have to Litten in the latest episode. I don't think we've ever seen her form a relationship with any of his Pokes before barring Pikachu, so it's really refreshing that they're taking the opportunity of using her more to do more stuff like this. I would TOTALLY be in favor of Ash's inevitable Incineroar becoming her oversized house cat post-Alola. Certainly beats exiting as an oversized weed whacker like Greninja. 

:P

From an episode preview, seems like Team Skull and Team Rocket will compete/race each other to get the Darkium Z.

• 2 weeks later...

So there was an official poll ranking "who do you want to travel with Ash again?" And thanks to some folks on twitter they were able to translate the results https://s.animeanime.jp/article/2017/05/11/33827.html

1 :Brock

2 :Serena

3 :Misty

4 :May

5 :Dawn

6 :Clemont

7 :Cilan

8 :Tracey

9 :Bonnie

10: Iris

R.I.P. Max 

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So there was an official poll ranking "who do you want to travel with Ash again?" And thanks to some folks on twitter they were able to translate the results https://s.animeanime.jp/article/2017/05/11/33827.html

1 :Brock

2 :Serena

3 :Misty

4 :May

5 :Dawn

6 :Clemont

7 :Cilan

8 :Tracey

9 :Bonnie

10: Iris

R.I.P. Max 

Hmmm...

...you know, it was actually because of a viewer poll that they brought Wobbuffet back after BW. You think this could be hinting at something?