King Frosty

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

3120 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So there was an official poll ranking "who do you want to travel with Ash again?" And thanks to some folks on twitter they were able to translate the results https://s.animeanime.jp/article/2017/05/11/33827.html

1 :Brock

2 :Serena

3 :Misty

4 :May

5 :Dawn

6 :Clemont

7 :Cilan

8 :Tracey

9 :Bonnie

10: Iris

R.I.P. Max 

Hmmm...

...you know, it was actually because of a viewer poll that they brought Wobbuffet back after BW. You think this could be hinting at something?

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hmmm...

...you know, it was actually because of a viewer poll that they brought Wobbuffet back after BW. You think this could be hinting at something?

Wait really? Anything else that viewer polls have affected in this show? I feel as if these are the kind of things that shouldn't be exclusive to Japan and just get the international fans involved with as well. But that's just me.

That's the only one I know of. It was a poll they ran at the end of the last episode of the Meloetta arc that viewers had to call in to answer. It was a choice between Wobbuffet, Mime Jr. or Dustox.

4 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Wait really? Anything else that viewer polls have affected in this show? I feel as if these are the kind of things that shouldn't be exclusive to Japan and just get the international fans involved with as well. But that's just me.

I'm glad these things are restricted to Japan only. If the international fanbase had any sort of word into what goes into the anime, we'd have nothing but Brock and Misty for every single season and Ash would be restricted to his old Kanto team. The international fanbase is so fucked when it comes to Pokemon. I wouldn't trust them with anything and I'm glad we have very little input when it comes to the series.

CD Sanic and Johnny Boy like this

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

For those who missed it, this was today's opening:

Did they seriously just used clips from the actual show in the intro...That japanese intro?

I mean the dub i understand but for the Japanese version to use clips from the show for 90% of the intro is just plain laziness on their part.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:19 PM, CD Sanic said:

Haven't been following the SuMo dub, has the voices and dialogue become less cringeworthy yet?

From what I can tell, the dialogue is basically the same as the Japanese version. Even Team Rocket's usual awful dub dialogue seems to have been scaled back.

As far as voices go, I personally think all the new characters' voices have been pretty spot-on, though it's taking me some time to warm up to Lilli. And Team Skull could stand to sound a little more thug-ish, for lack of a better term. But yeah, all in all, pretty great casting, I think.

CD Sanic likes this

If you think the melody of that new theme sounds familiar:

Also the singer is the woman who sang the Jirachi movie's ending.

I like how they've at least sprinkled little nods to episodes of the show throughout (the pink Butterfree, Charmander being abandoned).

7 hours ago, SweeCrue said:

Yo, 5 seconds in!

Isn't that this girl from the first movie!?

{{{size}}}

*squints*

...I think it is!

Which means the Blastoise is Shellshocker.

EDIT: and 16 seconds in, her opponent looks like...

2gZbRq.png

He even eventually switches out Gengar for Venusaur, according to the summary.

SweeCrue likes this

Dogasu from Dogasu's Backpack posted a review of the 20th movie (see his July 15th post). Just a note that it does contain spoilers.

I can share some of the sentiments of the few reviews posted up there.

While it was entertaining, it didn't quite hit the mark as far as satisfaction is concerned. The pacing was really quick and kinda all over the place at times, since they wanted to show/demonstrate as many of the old key scenes as possible. It's okay for a long series to do that, but not so much for movies. The villain behavior and handling were also pretty strange. A few things are left unexplained, which would trigger some of the viewers and incite theorycrafting, but I think it's best to leave them as is, lol.

The two things that surprised me the most is the inclusion of the theme of death. I think it's a very rare thing in Pokemon. Similarly, I liked how the trainers are targeted for many of the attacks. Even with wild pokemon, battles typically just involves the pokemon instead of the frail human standing behind.

I went to see this with no prior knowledge (no trailers, etc. Just a title and a date as I happened to pass by movie theaters), so I was at least met with a few surprises. The pokemon main cast seems very (VERY) tailored to my taste (Lucario, Pochama, Gaogaen, Lizardon, Lugarugan~). Pretty blatant fan-catering, lol.