Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Seeing that the Alola crew would be tagging along did put a bit of a damper on the occassion. I have to be honest in saying I've really never cared for the whole "Ash's current friends meet his old friends" thing.

It depends really. Sometimes there's no memorable interaction (Misty and May), other times it's fairly good (May and Dawn), or a bit different (Dawn and Iris).

Brock also met Cilan in a special, and then Cilan met Bonnie/Clemont in a special which I thought was fun.

Misty's interaction with May was rather forgettable but they barely had any scenes talking together. May/Dawn was entertaining but they basically became BFF's instantly, and Dawn/Iris was at least something like a girly girl with a jungle/wild girl.  I guess we'll probably see Misty interact with Lana since they're both female water pokemon trainers.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: and Movie 20 dub trailer!

I like how they matchd the original episode's dub dialogue word-for-word like that. Also is that original Pokemon theme I hear?!?!?!

That's totally the original Pokemon theme. And I can tell in the 5 seconds we heard that it's not a halfhearted remake like pretty much every other time they've redone it. It's the real deal!

I'm pretty pumped. Got to see Digimon on the big screen for the first time in 15 years last November, and now I get to see Pokemon on the big screen for the first time in 17 years!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That's totally the original Pokemon theme. And I can tell in the 5 seconds we heard that it's not a halfhearted remake like pretty much every other time they've redone it. It's the real deal!

I really liked the first movie version, actually.

I still find it funny the writers purposely chose not to put Misty/Brock in Movie 20 and made up new companions for it, just to put Misty/Brock in the regular anime only 2 months later.  I don't follow the dub anymore and haven't since the DP era, the Japanese version is really the only way to go to still enjoy watching the anime. 

I suspect this will be Misty/Brock's final appearances in the anime for the next 10 years. I can't believe there's some people out there who think they'll follow Ash back to Alola when the summaries already confirm they won't.

Question: if the 21st movie was a continuation of the "I Choose You" timeline (the movie did pretty damn well at the Japanese box office, so it's a possibility) what would you want it to be about?

I for one would love if it were another Mewtwo movie, since it'll be the 20th anniversary of "Mewtwo Strikes Back" next year.

Yeah, a new take on the Mewtwo story would be neat. Making the movies their own little alternate universe would also make them a heck of a lot more interesting to watch.

Ash has Misty and Brock promise that they'll come see him in Alola, and the two of them assure him that they will.

So we can probably expect more cameos from them. They might become infrequent characters for the saga.

These past two episodes were fantastic.

That preview is absolutely amazing.

Also, have a poster.

6bd.jpg

Sun and Moon just might be fucking saved. <3

• Thumbs Up 2

Boy was it fun to watch the 2 episodes with Misty and Brock making a return! Lots of great facial expression scenes in them too! Since they've both said they'd visit Ash in Alola, I'd expect them to make a return later on down the road.

As for next week's episode, ooh boy does it look like it's going to be a good one!

• 2 weeks later...

Full dub trailer for the movie. Excited to see it in theaters and see how much they shake things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please, dubbers, don't botch th-

...oh who am I kidding, the music in the trailer alone is enough to tell me that this'll be another "change all the background music for no reason"-fest like the last three movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

Please, dubbers, don't botch th-

...oh who am I kidding, the music in the trailer alone is enough to tell me that this'll be another "change all the background music for no reason"-fest like the last three movies.

Sadly, they did change the music for the dub and the meh voices for the dub don't help either.

• 2 weeks later...

1000th episode airing on November 9th!

jd8T60.png

...or at least it is by the Japanese producers internal episode numbering.

It's actually the 988th episode by regular episode standards, but for some reason they're counting some of the major specials (like the Mega Evolution ones) in the countdown as well as, bizarrely, the Porygon episode.

That's because Serebii erronously counts certain special episodes as regular episodes ("Holiday Hi-Jynx", "Snow Way Out", etc.)

If you wanted to see the 20th movie but couldn't go to the cinema for it, you won't have to wait too long: Disney XD's showing it on November 25th alongside the Brock and Misty episodes.

On 10/26/2017 at 3:10 PM, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

If you wanted to see the 20th movie but couldn't go to the cinema for it, you won't have to wait too long: Disney XD's showing it on November 25th alongside the Brock and Misty episodes.

Despite hearing that the dub wasn't as great as the Japanese version, it's certainly better than nothing and I'm glad we won't have to wait a long time to see it on TV.

I stopped watching the dub by the end of DP, and that's when a lot of people did.

To this day I have no idea what the dub voices of Iris/Cilan, or Serena/Bonnie/Clemont sound like because I didn't see any dub eps of those seasons. LOL. :P

I did think the DP dub was semi-decent, they still removed too much of the Japanese music but for the first full series with the new voice cast it was alright. Dawn, Paul, Zoey, etc. all got good new voices. Still the Japanese version is much better.

4kids dub was waning in its later years but it was still funny. May's dub voice by Veronica Taylor is still to this day one of my favorite female voices in the show.

• Thumbs Up 2