Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Question: how do you guys imagine the SM series will play out from here? They're already doing the climax of the games story despite only being a year in, with the Ultra Wormholes and Nebby's evolution, which is set to conclude in the coming weeks. Also take into account that the series will likely go on for at least one more year at most, since the Switch game (and likely the 8th generation by extension) is supposedly releasing sometime next year.

Besides the inevitable Alola league tournement, what more would there be to do?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

Question: how do you guys imagine the SM series will play out from here? They're already doing the climax of the games story despite only being a year in, with the Ultra Wormholes and Nebby's evolution, which is set to conclude in the coming weeks. Also take into account that the series will likely go on for at least one more year at most, since the Switch game (and likely the 8th generation by extension) is supposedly releasing sometime next year.

Besides the inevitable Alola league tournement, what more would there be to do?

They're probably rushing Sun/Moon's plot so they can transfer over to Ultra Sun/Moon. I'm guessing they'll either try to merge both plots together to a sloppy/unsatisfying result or have Ash and co travel to an alternate dimension to do Ultra.

The latter would be cooler and provide more chance to spice things up by having the cast meet their alternate selves and whatnot, so the writers will definitely do the former.

I'm a little disappointed that they're rushing the more serious and dramatic parts of the anime just so they can do more comedy/slapstick stuff. I hope they take their time on the USUM plot, but I'm not hopeful.

On another note, a preview for the 21st movie is airing in Japan on Monday morning:

3 hours ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

This movie's featured legendary will obviously be

Reveal hidden contents

that new mythical hidden in the USUM data.

Spoiler

Somehow I kind of doubt it. Assuming the Switch game is late 2019 at the very latest, I can't see them revealing the new mythical so soon. Every gen gets a fair amount of movies. This will only be it's second. Each gen usually gets around 3, maybe 4. It's hard to predict because Gen 7 only has 2 mythicals and the anime seems to have the box legends and Tapus covered. Heck, they've even covered Silvally. That doesn't leave a lot of room for Movie #22

In terms of the series after the Aether Foundation stuff, I could see it being the 'graduation' of the cast, with each of them [bar Lillie] becoming Trial Captains by passing some sort of test. At the minute, it's the Kahuna's giving trials before the Grand Trial fight against them. By making the students captains, the idea is that Ash can then battle them in a sort-of official way for more Z-Crystals. Failing that, I could see them take an extended trip to Ula Ula and explore more of Poni before diving into the Necrozma stuff. And while the cast really doesn't need a new addition at the minute, I'd like to at least see Hau at some point.

As for movie stuff, none of them are really considered canon anyway, so can we get more stuff like I Choose You? Keep Ash as the main protag, but visit other regions and mix up events a bit. Have him visit a Hoenn where he has Brandon as a rival in some sort of competition but they have to work together to stop a Team Magma/Aqua plan of world destruction or something. Have an Ash and May film set in Unova where they uncover the plot of a false contest festival. Just go wild on the plots but keep them recognisable as anime canon [even if they aren't].

XOEGEU.jpg

Yeeees it's a movie 20 continua-

wait what now

EDIT: what in the hell...

6muJfR.jpg

EDIT 2:

Edited by Ernest the Snowpanda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is this the first time the movies have had a different style? I feel it is.

Some people didn't like Sun and Moon's style, so I guess this might be better in motion as well?

Wait it's a retelling of Pokemon 2000? So I guess it's not gonna have the same characters from the the previous movie....although removing Tracy really isn't a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks really interesting that's for sure. 2000 Is by far the worst movie out of the original trilogy so I'm all for a retelling of it. Ash seemingly looks older in this, as well? Or is that just the art style?

Spoiler

A little disappointed they didn't tease Zeraora in this, but I think it's safe to say it will appear in some form because the girl's hair shares it's colour scheme. Yellow with blue streaks.

1 hour ago, Red said:

2000 Is by far the worst movie out of the original

Um, I'm sorry, WHAT? That's a super odd way to spell "4ever". THAT movie is garbage.

This movie was always a blast. Not written particularly well, but all-around a fun watch. The majority of folks will agree with that.

Pfft, worst movie my ass...

Anywho, WOOHOO! This movie universe getting to continue is EXACTLY what I wanted! Even better that it still stays the fuck away from SM's garbage art style, so that makes me super happy! And I really like Ash's design here. Looks like his Kanto, Unova and Kalos outfits all fused into one.

I loved Movie 20 so I know I'm gonna enjoy this one.

I can get behind that. 2000 ranks incredibly high in my overall movie count, but it's still last place in my ranking of the original trilogy (my top pick for that being the third movie, followed by the first).

Wow, that artstyle sure is... different than before.  However I'm glad they're finally taking the films in new directions now.  They sort of needed this sort of shake up.  

As for 2000, I'd go so far as to list above 1 and 3.  It's not perfect (I mean, what Pokémon film is?), but it's a lot livelier, better paced and not as oddly compromised in its story as the first one.  Although 3 does come awfully close in beating it out in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Red said:

@Waveshocker Sigma I meant to say out of the original trilogy, my bad. Post has been edited.

Original "trilogy"? But the "original" set of movies is 5, not 3. The first 5 movies all take place during the original series of Kanto, OI and Johto. 6-9 is Hoenn, 10-13 is Sinnoh, 14-16 is Unova and 17-19 is Kalos.

Regardless, I like the first two movies equally for different reasons, but I guess I can sorta see you ranking them that way.

But I guess we all agree that movie 3 is absolutely fantastic.

The first three movies can be considered a trilogy by the fact that they were all written by the anime's original headwriter Takeshi Shudo, as well as how they were all released by Warner Bros. in the west.

And they're still released on DVD together as a bundle to this day.

3 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Original "trilogy"? But the "original" set of movies is 5, not 3. The first 5 movies all take place during the original series of Kanto, OI and Johto. 6-9 is Hoenn, 10-13 is Sinnoh, 14-16 is Unova and 17-19 is Kalos.

Regardless, I like the first two movies equally for different reasons, but I guess I can sorta see you ranking them that way.

But I guess we all agree that movie 3 is absolutely fantastic.

I think the only reason that I prefer 2000 over 3 is simply due to nostalgia.  It was the only Pokémon movie I had on DVD and the first one I ever saw I believe.  Quality wise though, I do agree that Spell of Unown was spectacular, especially compared to the more recent entries.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 1:43 AM, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

HQ poster

zc17Pz.png

Ash's design has definitely got a psuedo SM vibe to it.

Hmm, I wonder who that girl is? Guess we'll have to wait another 2 or 3 months before we get any real conformation plot wise.

On January 1st Disney XD will be marathoning all(but 4) of the Pokemon movies

Disney XD is hosting a Pokémon movie marathon the first three weeks of January 2018, showing most of the Pokémon movies on its United States feed. After the first three movies are all aired on January 1, one movie will air each weekday at 6 pm.

Notably, the four Pokémon movies whose distribution rights are owned by Miramax (Pokémon 4Ever - Celebi: Voice of the Forest, Pokémon Heroes: Latios & Latias, Pokémon: Jirachi: Wish Maker, and Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys) will not be aired during this marathon.

Showings

Date Time Movie
January 1 10 am Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back
January 1 11:45 am Pokémon The Movie 2000: The Power of One
January 1 1:15 pm Pokémon 3: The Movie - Spell of the Unown
January 1 3 pm Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back
January 1 4:45 pm Pokémon The Movie 2000: The Power of One
January 1 6:30 pm Pokémon 3: The Movie - Spell of the Unown
January 2 6 pm Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
January 3 6 pm Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
January 4 6 pm Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
January 5 6 pm Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior
January 8 6 pm Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life
January 9 6 pm Pokémon - Zoroark: Master of Illusions
January 10 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Black - Victini and Reshiram
January 11 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom
January 12 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice
January 15 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened
January 16 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
January 17  6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
January 18 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel
January 19 6 pm Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You!

The marathon concludes on January 20 and 21 when Disney XD will run encore performances of the movies during two all-day marathons.

Bulbanews

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS: Pokemon Becomes Power Rangers. Pokemon Rangers: Alola Force starts airing next week.

At least Ash's Litten evolves, so his team should start developing more now.