Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

From when I read, sounds to me that if you like the Sun & Moon anime then you're going to like this movie.

Which means I'm going to absolutely loathe and despise it. Lovely. - -

Oh well. At least next year's movie is Mewtwo. No way they can screw that up...Again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where the hell did you get that idea? This movie has absolutely nothing to do with Sun and Moon at all. All it said was that in the past few years every season of anime has had the supporting cast revolve around Ash too much. He's always in the spotlight even when things aren't even about him. This movie takes a new direction in that Ash isn't in the spotlight as much. He's more of a supporting character so all the other Trainers get the spotlight and their own development. Characters have had lives before they met Ash but for the past few years they forgot all about that life and became self absorbed around Ash too much. This movie (And Sun and Moon) makes it a point to give them spotlight without making them Ash's bitch all the time.Their past life isn't forgotten about in the slightest and Ash doesn't feel like he's hogging up the screen time too much.

This movie sounds like the breath of fresh air the movies have been needing for a long time.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:09 PM, STK77 said:

I dislike Dawn for that singular reason, but the creators push AshxDawn on us and its ridiculous 

They didn't really do that though, Ash/Dawn were basically presented as if they were siblings. Ash/Serena is the one where Serena's crush and entire character revolved around Ash her whole run.

In any case I do think one of these days we could use a girl who argues a bit more with Ash again, even all the SM girls are so nice around him. Not on the level of early Misty, but something like the way May or Dawn used to bicker with him from time to time. I honestly think people often forget May and Dawn got into arguments with Ash quite a lot too, it made their interactions feel more genuine that they didn't idolize him all the time.

Yeah that's something that bothers me about the more recent sagas too. It's not a huge issue and honestly, XY (what little I watched of it, admittedly) and SM are the most I've been able to get into the show since OS, but yeah. I like Ash and all but it's interesting when he has at least one companion he butts heads with. With the personalities they've established you could've easily had that with one or two of the SM gang.

I really need to catch up, I think I left off right before Gladion shows up lol. I might skip parts of the Aether saga since I'm really not interested on the anime's take on it. Ugh, I had so much hope they wouldn't soften Lusamine's whole deal...I can't blame the anime staff alone for that since Game Freak themselves arguably did the same with SM's ending and then tripled down on it with USUM, but still...

9 hours ago, Red said:

Where the hell did you get that idea? This movie has absolutely nothing to do with Sun and Moon at all. All it said was that in the past few years every season of anime has had the supporting cast revolve around Ash too much. He's always in the spotlight even when things aren't even about him. This movie takes a new direction in that Ash isn't in the spotlight as much. He's more of a supporting character so all the other Trainers get the spotlight and their own development. Characters have had lives before they met Ash but for the past few years they forgot all about that life and became self absorbed around Ash too much. This movie (And Sun and Moon) makes it a point to give them spotlight without making them Ash's bitch all the time.Their past life isn't forgotten about in the slightest and Ash doesn't feel like he's hogging up the screen time too much.

This movie sounds like the breath of fresh air the movies have been needing for a long time.

Yes, and that's exactly what I don't like about Sun and Moon. The way it's written and has it's focus shifted. It's the writing style that I don't care for and the movie seems to be going for that as well.

I don't care enough about the side characters in Sun & Moon to see them in the spotlight all of the time because none of them ever do anything interesting enough to really make an impact. Plus, they don't really matter since they'll be gone by the end anyways. The Sun & Moon school friends have the most boring and uninteresting "companions" Ash has ever had in the series and I roll my eyes and groan anytime the episode ends up being mostly about them. The reason why the Ula Ula arc was so good was because they stayed the fuck away from it and the show focused just on Ash's trials, like it SHOULD be doing. If they had anything to them outside of one-note quirks and memefaces, I might be able to care a bit more, but we're nearly 2 full years into this show and I can't recall anything of them doing anything cool or impressive that made a lasting impact despite all of the previous companions, even Max and Tracey, not having that problem at all for me.

My tastes are different from yours in that the main character and their actions are what interests me the most in the series. I really only care about them and am not concerned with the side characters unless they do enough or have interesting goals to make me want to care. All of the others ones did. The SM companions don't and the girls only have the fact that they're adorable going for them outside of maybe Lana having a cool or legit funny moment every now and then. Mallow is boring, Lillie is useless and always gets more praise than she deserves (Which I guess is accurate to the games as well), Sophocles is completely pointless and Smokey (Kiawe) is honestly kinda lame. Honestly, I think things would be better with more focus on Kukui and Burnet instead since both of them have more neat things going on with their lives.

Reading through the movie review, those other people's problems all sounded like things I REALLY don't care about. A big conflict involving Zeraora and Lugia connecting to everyone else and Ash that leads to an amazing action packed climax is what I was looking for and I'm pretty certain that's not what we're getting. But that makes sense, as the guy who wrote the thing said himself that it wouldn't be your usual kind of Pokemon movie and would probably be one that your typical Pokemon fan wouldn't like. I can definitely confirm that I'm not liking much of what I'm hearing.

Movie 20 was considered a breath of fresh air when it came out for splitting off from the TV series and doing it's own thing and is considered the best movie we've had in a long time. The way that movie was handled was more up my alley. Movie 21 just doesn't sound like my cup of tea and there's nothing wrong with me feeling that way. That doesn't mean I won't give it a try first, though. I do believe there's still a chance that maybe I'll like the way it handles itself and it's focus over how Sun & Moon does. If it does, then this current trend of my preferring the new movie universe to the main anime will continue onward until SM finally ends.

GOD, I can't wait for Gen 8. I want Gen 7 to be over already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of the SM cast Kiawe and Lana have the best personalities. Kiawe has enough fun quirks to prevent him from feeling like a Brock clone (I like his exaggerated expressions and his family and sister), and Lana just has one of the most unique personalities for a main girl, she sort of reminds me of Raven from Teen Titans if you guys watched that. But most of the main characters are loosely based on their game personalities anyway, so it's not like the writers have much choices when most of the trial leaders are like that in the SM games.

I guess it also comes to having a huge cast this saga, it's Ash and 5 companions making a six person main group, even more when you count Team Rocket or the teacher or the other recurring SM characters. It's also likely the reason the main cast barely captures pokemon this saga, because you have so many companions and Pokemon are treated as part of the cast themselves, likely why each girl only has 1 pokemon 80+ eps into the saga.

I wonder if Gen 8 will go back to a traveling group again, or another trio. I mean it's usually Ash, whoever the main girl is, and the typical male sidekick companion that makes up almost every group anyway. We now have 9 female companions in the anime, I think by this point the writers kinda ran out of personalities for a main girl to have, especially given there's only certain quirks/tropes a main girl would have anyway.

Is it wrong I actually prefer a lot of the SM companions? i just love the more laid back but more character driven stories. Very rarely could a protagonist hold a whole episode on their own in previous series, some hashed in plot device like Team Rocket had to come in and make them look good. It made them feel very vanilla because they couldn't even commit to a basic story with a meaningful third act. It got particularly bad in XY, Serena couldn't even finish one basic battle.

I don't freaking care if one of the twerps can beat down Team Rocket like a punk. It's not even an accomplishment anymore. And given they do it pretty much the exact same way every single episode, it's not even proper entertainment anymore.

SM relies on that a lot less, we get whole episodes that are focused solely on the character and their personality. I could argue the bigger problem is that Ash gets the lion's share this series (though I think he's personally the best incarnation of Ash thus far as a result), but where the companions are kinda stagnant, they still get to show off their characters better in basic stories than the previous ones did. Mallow I could argue is the one struggling the most, since she still relies on the old formula for many of her episodes and doesn't really stick out as a supporting character, but Kiawe, Lillie and even Sophocles have really fun bits of limelight without regular downsides or underwhelming culminations like 'Let's beat up Team Rocket with two attacks'.

I do admit it's a shame they aren't growing in teams and abilities, but I don't think that changed the level of character agency in the anime much anyway. Misty had a full team, and yet most of her Pokemon were either one note comic relief or flat as cardboard and she spent a large amount of the original series in the background. Most evolutions and power boosts are bestowed not through hard work or training but by 'burning justice' whenever they're losing at anything, basically being given something remarkable to hide how unremarkable they are. These aren't characters who drive their own plot, while in SM they at least rely on that a lot less to tell a story.

I think people begrudge episodic plots in the Pokemon anime because it's often connected to repetition and formula that doesn't do much for the cast at all (eg. helping a character of the day and then beating up Team Rocket, rinse and repeat), while SM does actually try some decent fillers that show a bit of introspective and versatility with the cast in spite of how stagnant they are at face value.

It might simply because I can take to more laid back episodic shows, stuff like The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is my bread and butter, there's something fun about the sheer likability and charm that goes into many episodes of SM. It's not trying to be a gripping ongoing arc with tons of action, it's just trying to be FUN, which I think the previous series, in attempts to keep their progressive goal arcs going, sometimes forgot to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't seen many of the new episodes, but I'd have to agree with that. In fact, it might just be me, but I found the two episodes in Ultra Space had too much focus on action and not enough on the characters and suffered as a result. It's the characters more than the plots that make these sorts of programs. It's the same thing with Power Rangers - in that strong characters make the series what they are. Dino Thunder has stronger characters than Dino Charge in my eyes, and it becomes noticeable when the plots of the episodes rely on them for the story. It's the same with Sun/Moon to XY.

I just want to jump back up to the misty thing. There's nothing wrong with her pose or image. Hell she used to be In just a swimsuit at times. I think she looks neat if not a little oddly sized height wise

9 hours ago, DarkRula said:

I haven't seen many of the new episodes, but I'd have to agree with that. In fact, it might just be me, but I found the two episodes in Ultra Space had too much focus on action and not enough on the characters and suffered as a result. It's the characters more than the plots that make these sorts of programs. It's the same thing with Power Rangers - in that strong characters make the series what they are. Dino Thunder has stronger characters than Dino Charge in my eyes, and it becomes noticeable when the plots of the episodes rely on them for the story. It's the same with Sun/Moon to XY.

I think it's a shame the Passimian episode seemingly got dropped by the dub for this reason. Ash has often been criticised by fans (and even some writers) for being kinda bland when he isn't battling. This episode shown Ash didn't need to battle or even use his Pokemon to make a fun episode, he could just use his eccentric character to drive the whole plot.

That said I'm almost convinced the dub is TRYING to sabotage the anime at times.

I just want to jump back up to the misty thing. There's nothing wrong with her pose or image. Hell she used to be In just a swimsuit at times. I think she looks neat if not a little oddly sized height wise

Neither the games nor the anime were subtle about Misty being for fan service in the first place. It was a bit weird at times given she is supposedly only 10 years old, but hey, this is anime, it runs on this weirdness.

If anything, in spite of the sultry pose, the newer design looks more like it's trying to make Misty look like a little kid. It's like seeing Amy Rose trying to do a sexy pose, unable to hide the fact she's still a cartoon hedgehog with noodle limbs.

I find hte SM copanions just very okay, not nearly as invested in them as I was past companions though, that feeling can be extrapolated to all of SM in general tbh

On 7/30/2018 at 12:05 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

Limited theatrical run on November 24, 26, 28, and December 1 in the US.

Twenty years ago we were told that there was power in each of us in the power of one. Twenty years later we are told we cant do it alone. Kids these days have it so easy

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tails spin  Blame 4Kids for that. The original Japanese version of 2000 was about everyone working together. The thing about "one person can make a difference" and Ash being the "Chosen One" was all 4Kids doing. 2000 has always been a movie about teamwork and working together.

• Thumbs Up 1

And isn't that also where 4kids added even more pokeshipping in the dub? Like I know Misty's crush was  in those scenes in the original, but it seems 4kids really embellished it, in the entire Orange Islands season in general. Then when you get over to Johto, like shipping is dead, because then they realized the anime was going to go on indefinitely, and probably early/halfway through the writers already knew they would be getting rid of Misty for the then upcoming Hoenn generation.

It's actually kind of funny and ironic you can pinpoint the exact moment in the anime where they realized it wasn't going to be a short-lived series and go on for years. Hard to believe this was all like 18 years ago or whatever, I honestly remember it like it was only yesterday. So many of the newer generations of the anime came and went so quickly, if you told someone back in 2000 that Ash would have 9 different female companions and counting over the course of the show, people would have laughed.

The last 3 gens especially, BW, XY and SM all feel like semi-reboots fresh starts, although continuity is maintained, they really feel disconnected from the older stuff, whereas Kanto/Johto, AG and DP all felt like one long running connected series. It's hard to pinpoint why, I don't just think it was Brock finally leaving, but the writers just stopped viewing the show as one big series like they used to bar some minor nostalgia eps here and there.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/2017_pm_i_choose_you/pm_i_choose_you_directors_commentary.html

A bunch of new interesting tidbits about “I Choose You”, including:

• Cross is from Alola
  • Verity’s mother is not Cynthia
  • Piplup and Lucario are in the movie because the filmakers were looking back at previous movies and decided they were the most popular stars
  • Ash’s “world without Pokemon” nightmare was originally thought up for the Darkrai movie
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

On 7/30/2018 at 12:05 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

Limited theatrical run on November 24, 26, 28, and December 1 in the US.

Any news about it airing on Disney XD or is it getting its theater run first before airing on TV?

• 2 weeks later...

New character's been announced that got my attention:

fujita-nicole-pokemon-anime-pikachu-2.jpg

The Pokemon Company and TV Tokyo have made a special announcement for the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime episode airing on October 7, 2018 in Japan.

Fujita Nicole, a popular Japanese model of Polish and Russian descent, will be voicing a female Pikachu called Pikara. Ash, Pikachu, and his friends will meet this mysterious female Pikachu in the Pikachu Valley during that episode. You’ll have to watch the show to find out what happens next.

fujita-nicole-pokemon-anime-pikachu-3.jpg

Can't wait for them to hype up the shipteasing and then dump her like Serena when this gen's over.

• Thumbs Up 1