Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Yeah. The new season is completely different. Ash still competes in leagues and for no goddamned reason, he loses because writers feel the need to make him as un-extraordinary as possible, but Team Rocket can now give less of a fuck about Pikachu. Iris, the new girl, has respectively whooped Ash's ass in battle and pretty much puts a new spin on the rival concept since she travels with him. Cilan's orchestra's or whatever are actually pretty cool. The animation has been spliced up a bit and the battles are more interesting to watch.

Now they just need for Ash to retain his experience or get a new kid.

Oh, and the Pokemon have distinct personalities.

Edited by turbojet

they had something going with Ash in Advanced when he would probably be like a mentor type to the newb...but then that was quickly dropped.

• Thumbs Up 3

I only watched the original series, losing interesting during the Orange Fanta League of whatever it was called. I liked the show, I guess? It was the first anime I ever saw, but I don't remember myself watching it faithfully like I did Beast Wars, or Digimon, or Gundam Wing, or Dragon Ball Z. The high point of the series was the first Pokemon league, and the (at the time) very surprising twist ending. I hear tell now that they've reused that twist in subsequent seasons though, and that's really disappointing to here.

Overall, both of the Pokemon mangas surpassed the show in quality, even the one that followed the same plot points as the show. And while I believe the games are the worst RPGs to ever gain widespread popularity, at least they do a better job of engaging someone than watching creatures say their names over and over again.

Edited by Legendary Pine Tree

I don't think the show is super terrible, especially when we get subs like this from the japanese dub.

tasteb.png

On a serious note, I think the anime is alright, but lacking some real amazing moments that you might get from the games or the manga. It's needs more sparks, but when the anime does shine such as Ash pulling a jesus several times, I can't help but to smile or smirk.

Also Black and White (Best wishes in japan) is pretty good so far, I've only missed about 3 episodes but it's really turning out pretty well.

Where the fudge is N and Team Plasma though

Edited by Jetronic

Ah, Pokemon.

Believe it or not, I still have my old cassette tapes of the Kanto arc. You know, before DVDs completely replaced VHS?

This series beginning had such magic to it that it's no surprise that it lasted this long. It became such a massive fad it was unbelievable. The pokerap from the first series is the one I still have mostly down by memory, and the First Movie was such a huge tonal shift that it's amazing how dark a kids show can go.

Kinda stopped watching the anime mid-Hoenn tho. It got interesting, but then things started feeling a bit to repetitive, bland, and an awkward case of characters being too much Mr. and Mrs. Exposition for the Pokemon battles. The battles from the old series were more flowing because the characters mostly commanded the pokemon and we just watched the action without having the others explain what's going on as often as they do. That and it was hilarious how they went about the quirks the characters went through as they traveled.

As for the games, I stayed on until they annouced Ruby and Sapphire. After that I mostly quit the series, because my limit was at the 251 Pokemon they had at that moment. I still linger a bit, as some of the pokemon like Blaziken and Lucario are still cool, and the movies are still interesting.

Also, another disappointment would be the series handling of Team Rocket in the show. Now Team Rocket was goofy from the start, but they've seem to have taken it up to 11 nowadays to the point that I can't take them the way I used to.

I'll give the whole series this. If there's one thing that I will always like, it's the landscape art they have going on. That's almost to Sonic's level of interesting for me.

Team Plasma was supposed to debut in BW episodes 23 and 24, in a huge 2-part clash with Team Rocket (Jessie and James even had energy wave guns that they shot at skyscrapers!), but because of the earthquakes Japan suffered, the episodes were removed. The producers have gone on record and said that the episodes WILL be put into motion at a later time since they were so plot-specific, but they haven't been released yet; it's a possibility that the episodes will be retooled and take place at a later time in Unova.

• Thumbs Up 1

they had something going with Ash in Advanced when he would probably be like a mentor type to the newb...but then that was quickly dropped.

That's one of the main reasons I liked Advanced at the start, Ash actually seemed to have matured somewhat and he was showing someone else the ropes. It was a nice change of pace for awhile and I kinda wish they kept that going. I actually thought that Ash had aged somewhat...though once D/P started I had no doubt in my mind that he was probably still 10, and then B/W confirmed that for me. :/

Edited by Jingle Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ah, Pokemon. I remember it well. I have two of the films, a couple miscellaneous VHS tapes and a lot of memories. I stopped watching not too far in but mostly from lazieness, not the show itself. I saw some Diamond and Pearl episodes and they were okay but felt a bit bland. I haven't seen anything of Best Wishes

but I want to know from what people are saying. I kind if find it hard to believe that Team Rocket is competent again after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nahDsozON88

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

I came back and watched a bit of Best Wishes while waiting for Black and White to be released, only having seen an episode or two here and there over the years since I stopped watching around Johto, and I was reasonably impressed. It still wasn't a top-tier kids' show or anything, but it was certainly a considerable improvement over anything I'd seen since the first couple of seasons. I never really got that into it and I stopped watching around episode 20 because of the Team Plasma two-parter being skipped, but it was a fun little nostalgia trip while it lasted.

Really, though, I got a bit bored of "serious" Team Rocket after a while. I'm certainly glad that they were allowed to be competent, dangerous and actually involved in something resembling a plot, but I genuinely enjoyed their goofy side, and I wish they'd gotten to express that a little more often. That episode where Meowth pretends to be an Umbreon came pretty close, but it wasn't quite enough.

I think another problem I have with the anime is that whenever a new season start Ash's Pokemon basically suck again. You'd think after 50 million battles Pikachu would never be able to lose but nooooo let's make it level one again for no reason. Bleh.

If Pikachu won every battle like he's expected to the show would get boring. Just call out the Infinity+1 Mouse and wreak havoc on all that stands in its path, never mind training the other Pokemon. It's appropriate that Pikachu is powered down each saga, so Pikachu can get valuable battling time; the beginning of Advanced Generation and Black and White even tried to justify this route with Team Rocket siphoning Pikachu's energy in episodes OS277 and AG001, and then having Zekrom just slam a Thunderbolt on it in BW001.

Hookay

got that into it and I stopped watching around episode 20 because of the Team Plasma two-parter being skipped, but it was a fun little nostalgia trip while it lasted.

the Team plasma two parter was skipped due to the Earthquake in Japan happening at around the time it was supposed to be aired from what I recall hearing.

also..this is probably the most epic piece of music that came on the show, since I stumbled into it just now. the moments it was used in only made it more appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqFmC6R7p5Q

Edited by Shinigami

That's one of the main reasons I liked Advanced at the start, Ash actually seemed to have matured somewhat and he was showing someone else the ropes. It was a nice change of pace for awhile and I kinda wish they kept that going. I actually thought that Ash had aged somewhat...though once D/P started I had no doubt in my mind that he was probably still 10, and then B/W confirmed that for me. :/

Damn producers, they had something interesting going but in order to keep Ash, they had to make him make stupid mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think another problem I have with the anime is that whenever a new season start Ash's Pokemon basically suck again. You'd think after 50 million battles Pikachu would never be able to lose but nooooo let's make it level one again for no reason. Bleh.

Don't forget that at the beggining Hoenn, Pikachu was attacked by one of team rocket's super magnet machines that really fucked with its electrical powers and it happened again at the beginning of Sinnoh. IIRC Zekrom did something at the beginning of Unova. I think that may have some thing to do with it becoming weaker...just a guess

*Icy Wind used a Max Revive*

Does anyone have a particular favorite episode or arc in the series? One that you could watch over and over again?

Mine is the Mirage Kingdom arc in the Hoenn saga in Advanced Generation. Aside from the cast reunion, I really like how the plot that spanned across those two episodes felt like one befitting a movie. Add in an antagonist that at least had an idea on what he was doing, and Misty receiving some closure with her Togepi, and the entire arc was a ton of fun.

I liked the recent Tournament arc in Black/White, it let the entire cast and extended cast shine without anybody looking better than the other. Plus, it was the first time Ash's rival of the region lost to one of Ash's teammates, it was so damn refreshing to see. IT was a nice four part mini arc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah the Pokemon anime. I used to enjoy it a lot as a kid. But as I got older and watched far superior shows, I grew to outright despise this anime and I still do. I don't hate this show to the point where I have nothing good to say about it because there's some things that are good about it.

What I hate

1. Ash: I just outright hate this character. He's right up there with Chris Thorndyke as my most hated character in anime.

2. Same plot every season / repetitive formula : One of the bigger reasons this show annoys me. When is this show ever going to have a fresh new story?

3. The dialogue: This is perhaps my biggest issue with the show. The characters pointing out the obvious all the time makes my ears bleed. I get some kids shows do this but this show pushes it imo. The current voice cast only help to make the dialogue sound worse.

What I like

1. Season 1 Soundtrack: The music in season 1 and a bit of 2 was great. They really did pump you up during the action scenes, even if I found the action underwhelming. That opening theme song is also a classic.

2. 4Kids Voice Cast: The choices they made for who to voice which character fitted so damn well. The voices all seemed to fit the characters and they are pretty iconic. If only the dialogue wasn't so horrendous most of the time.

3. Some of the comedic moments: There were points that were really funny and still stay in my head. The Metapod harden scene and perhaps my favourite is on the episode Charmander first appears. The moment at the end when he burns up team rocket and they just stand there in complete silence for a few seconds with blank looks on their face before reacting. That had me laughing a lot back then.

I gave up on the anime during season 3 and since then it got worse. Granted while I can't stand this anime at all, I do remember the good things about it and the good parts will always stay good. The show is repetitive, annoying but it did have it's redeeming qualities.

Edited by BlueEagle21

So in terms of Pokemon Movies, which is your guy's favorites? Mine is 2000

lugia_3.jpg

I fucking LOVE this movie.

I love how epic and grand it feels in comparison to the first one. You really get the feeling that's Ash is activly trying to save the world, rather than being an unfortunate bystander in a mad Pokemon's plans. I love the atmosphere of it all, with the legends and prophecies, It really adds some much needed to depth onto to Pokemon world. The Orange Islands are also very aesthetically good looking places to see and visit.

The excellent musical score certainly helped to.

It really is the best Pokemon movie ever in my opinion. but ones that come close are Destiny Deoxysis, Heroes, and Pokemon 3.

Edited by Sonimas032

The old episodes will always hold a special place in my heart, especially the hoenn arc since emerald was my favorite game. I absolutely despised the Diamond and Pearl saga. But I'm liking the Black and White saga so far, simply for how badass team rocket has become.

For the first time ever I can actually take them seriously as a threat! And they haven't blasted off one time this season! And I know I'm not the only pissed about not being able to see Team Rocket vs Team Plasma.

The excellent musical score certainly helped to.

It really is the best Pokemon movie ever in my opinion. but ones that come close are Destiny Deoxysis, Heroes, and Pokemon 3.

Ah I haven't heard this for 10 years! I remember I couldn't get this song out of my head after seeing the movie. I actually saw it a second time at the cinema because of it. =P

The only thing wrong with Pokemon the Movie 2000 is that Tracey, quite literally, spoke only 7 words through the entire dub movie.

"You talking about me?" and "Zapdos, and Moltres!" was certainly underwhelming for a character who would only stay for that one arc. I know Kenji spoke a little more in the original, but it was only about two lines worth.

Aside from that, Movie 2000 was really cool, and the music isn't slouching either. But I have to give my votes to Tears of Life in the 1st movie and the Advance Adventure remix in the 6th as my favorite movie-related music.

I'd go and say that Jirachi: Wishmaker is my favorite movie as well. Establishing that False Groudon was a legitimate threat, and then substantiating that claim by having it absorb Pokemon and humans whole was a nice touch, it made the battle all the more dramatic.

Edited by Icy Wind

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first Pokemon anime series. The humor was pretty top notch and the writing was killer. I never got into the other ones. I have a friend named Gary and he's into 'em. I'm pretty sure he's watched 'em all. I'll have to ask him someday.

I wonder if they're gonna make another series... aren't there like 13? I have listened to most (if not all) of the theme songs. Some are pretty impressive, maybe even a bit better than the original show's theme song.

It is a long, ongoing series; just divided up for when a new generation of Pokemon is out in the game market from Gen III onward. But while it is an ongoing series, the timeline of events is rather vague; BW001 specifically stated that Ash was 10 years old after all that time, so no one knows what's up.

Japan is currently on Episode 725, and I'm really eager to watch Episode 727, given the description for the episode:

"A new episode title has been revealed by Dengeki. This episode features Tepig, Oshawott and the others getting separated from Ash & co. in a land of Bouffalant. So that they can pass through, they all decide to wear afros. It's due to air on February 16th

Episode 727: Afro, GO! Bouffalant, NO!!"

Awesome.

Edited by Icy Wind