Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Eh, I think it's going way too fast tbh.

Iris is receiving no development whatsoever (she's not acquiring any Pokemon, nor is her Axew evolving anytime soon, if the new ending is anything to go by), and Dento is being used FAR too much for what his role is supposed to be. His Dwebble just evolved and suddenly knows Rock Wrecker, and Dento's scheduled to fight Fuuro/Skyla in a Gym Battle for who knows what reason. If the saga would slow down to give Iris more time to shine and develop and get more Pokemon, and to space out Dento's apparently prodigious attributes so that it doesn't seem like he's a living Gary Stu, then I would like it more.

Eh, I think it's going way too fast tbh.

Iris is receiving no development whatsoever (she's not acquiring any Pokemon, nor is her Axew evolving anytime soon, if the new ending is anything to go by), and Dento is being used FAR too much for what his role is supposed to be. His Dwebble just evolved and suddenly knows Rock Wrecker, and Dento's scheduled to fight Fuuro/Skyla in a Gym Battle for who knows what reason. If the saga would slow down to give Iris more time to shine and develop and get more Pokemon, and to space out Dento's apparently prodigious attributes so that it doesn't seem like he's a living Gary Stu, then I would like it more.

251-1.jpg

Official screenshot from the new episode this morning.

Not very often death is brought up in the show, comedic or otherwise, huh?

251-1.jpg

That's......a little unsettling.

251-1.jpg

Well it looks like the anime's nightmare fuel page on tv tropes needs another edit.

Seriously that's pretty creepy. I'm not sure who's more creepy, Ash or Pikachu.

251-1.jpg

That is SOOOO not going to be in the english dub.

Aww, I thought it was pretty funny. XD

And not in an "I hate Ash" kind of way, but in a "that's an obvious imagination scene played for laughs" kind of way. It's cute.

Pokemon was my childhood. The anime was my favorite show throughout the late 90's and I was a friggin' Pokemaniac. I loved the characters, the setting, the Pokemon, the battles, the music, and just the overall atmosphere. It's a very special show to me and has a place in my heart. Heck, I can still remember the first episode I ever watched: Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden. I've been a fan of the franchise ever since and have collected a ton of Pokemon merchandise over the years. I still have most of the original VHS releases of the Indigo League (Remember those? With the Pokemon Red/Blue and Ranma 1/2 ads at the end?), a lot of the Burger King Pokemon: The First Movie toys, most of the Burger King gold cards (Lost the Pokeball cases, though.), a lot of the original Pokemon mini figures (Plus a few of the figures released of the actual characters, like Misty, James, and Jessie.), and I even still have some of the original Scholastic Pokemon chapter books. (Including the one that told a brand new story where Ash actually REMEMBED to get Pidgeot back.)

In terms of seasons/arcs, I've always loved the original Indigo League arc (My 90's nostalgia requires that I do.), the Johto arc was fun (I didn't really find it as bad as most people do. Sure, there was a lot of filler, but at least it was entertaining filler most of the time.), Hoenn was a nice change of pace (I really liked how May's story progressed. She went from hating Pokemon and not knowing whether she wanted to take on a gym challenge or not to being one of the most skilled coordinators in all of Hoenn.), the Battle Frontier arc was lots of fun (I love arcs where they can experiment with Ash's team and the gym battles. Charizard fought a freakin' ARTICUNO!), but Sinnoh...I'll need a new paragraph or two to properly express how I felt about that.

Things got INCREDIBLY stale around Sinnoh. However, before I get into my problems with it, I will list some positives. I liked that Ash still had all of the experience he had earned up until DP and used it to battle intelligently rather than being reset to the brash and impulsive battler he evolved from like in BW. Another thing I liked was that Paul also had a lot of experience, so it made sense for him to win a battle against Ash, unlike Trip in BW where it just looks like Ash got schooled by a newbie completely out of his league. The battles were also top notch, with plenty of neat strategies and interesting Pokemon match-ups. I also liked how many of Ash's Pokemon fully evolved and some of his older Pokemon even got the chance to shine. (That's why I prefer Sinnoh's league arc to Hoenn's. In Hoenn, Ash only used the team he assembled in Hoenn. But for Sinnoh, he was back to having a huge arsenal of Pokes to choose from. I really liked that.)

Alright, now on to the negatives. The pacing was absolutely ABSYMAL (I know some people criticize BW for being too fast, but at least it hasn't gone an entire season without Ash earning a SINGLE badge.), the animation coloring was too annoyingly bright and the CG attacks looked extremely tacky and out of place, everyone had several different rivals and none of them were that interesting (Yes, I know everyone likes Paul, but I felt that he was all "GRRRR! I'M ANGRY AND RUDE!" for no reason. I know that he was a very focused trainer and didn't want to lose a match like his brother, but that's no reason to have a proverbial stick up your butt constantly. They could've handled his backstory a bit better), Brock felt like he was forced into the season and didn't bring a lot to it, and of course, it introduced one of the most overrated characters EVER, Dawn.

I CANNOT believe that there are actually people who think Sinnoh is the best Pokemon arc simply because of Dawn's so-called "well handled story" and "amazing character development." Well, her "amazing development" basically equated to a bunch of "I suck!" "No, I don't!" "I suck!" "No, I don't!" "I have to believe!" She's so friggin' BORING! The only thing that she developed during Sinnoh were her contest skills. She was still the same bland character all the way through! Since when does "sucking a little less at something" equal "interesting character?" Why did they feel the need to give her SO MUCH focus if she ended up exactly the same personality wise in the end? I've never gotten her appeal. At least Misty, May, and Iris had a bit of edge in their personality, Dawn I just can't figure out. Piplup was also one of the most annoying Pokemon to EVER grace the show. Thank Kero that both of them didn't stick around.

On to BW, I feel that it drastically improved upon Sinnoh in most instances. The story is back to having one simple main journey instead of having a side story with contests that feel like filler and bore you to tears, Ash has two new companions rather than one, so Brock doesn't have to be forced into the story anymore, Team Rocket became more serious for a change and Giovanni FINALLY got off of his fat duff and DID SOMETHING after sitting still for several seasons, the pacing is much improved (I'd rather have it be too fast than too slow.), the animation is much nicer to look at with some nice shading, the CG isn't nearly as blatantly tacky and isn't used in every three seconds, the character designs got a nice refresh after having the same look for so long, Ash actually catches a lot of the wild Pokemon he sees rather than just ignoring them and builds up a large arsenal of Unova Pokemon that he can swap between at any time rather than sticking to the same six all the way through and having to write one of them out of the show in a ridiculous way (Ambipom's random ping pong obsession, anyone?) to add a new one, and Iris and Cilan are definitely more interesting than Dawn and Brock were in Sinnoh. Sure, it has some problems (The pace still being off by being too fast instead of too slow, Ash and Pikachu being reset to Kanto levels, competent Team Rocket needing a better balance between their actual personalities and them being villainous.), but I can overlook them because I don't have to wait two years for Ash to make some progress. I hope that they can iron out the small flaws in later seasons, because I definitely think B&W is a step in the right direction.

Another reason I liked 4kids' Pokemon, their theme songs were second to none. From the start, until season 8, I enjoyed them ALL, but if I have to pick favorites, my favs are the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, and 8th...wait, I listed most of them, silly me. :V I like the first 2 as well, but seeing as I missed most of those seasons, the nostalgia isn't really there for me. In terms of the new guy's themes starting from season 9? 9's was a slight step down from the previous one's, but I still give it points for being catchy, the Diamond and Pearl rap can screw off because even the Infamous one piece rap was better than that garbage. "We will be heroes" was lackluster, as was "Stand up," and I don't really like either because both mostly used footage from the show, but stand up was a better song. The last theme of the Sinnoh saga can also screw off, because the Japanese version was so energetic and awesome, and then they come out with this boring slow "It's about yew- it's about me- it's about friends that stick togetha~" crap. And Black and whites theme is also Ok, but just ok, and it's a little on the short side. ...I believe I've just gushed. I think a dormant pokenerd has come back out..... "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" FFFFFFF I love that theme, and I LOVE that instrumental~~~! ;A; Heck, if you look at that video's comments, I'm Elekid1 on there saying that I loved that movie! ;A; Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfo_bpKKiAI&feature=related

THIS. So much THIS. When you look at 4Kids' last theme, the insanely catchy "Unbeatable," and compare it to that "EET'S ABOWT YOO! EET'S ABOWT ME! EET'S ABOWT HOWP! EET'S ABOWT DREAMS!" crap, it's just incredibly sad. In fact, I'll just link it so everyone can enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wHzfKQZ6E

Why can't they be this catchy anymore? sad.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like the show, but I can't do it in large doses, since it's usually the same thing over and over at it's core, D;. I mainly like watching the episodes about my favorite Pokemon, XD.

Well, Aptiva makes the show more glorious than ever by putting it at about .80 speed, so everyone sounds like they're trying way to hard at life, XDDD.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the show, but I can't do it in large doses, since it's usually the same thing over and over at it's core, D;. I mainly like watching the episodes about my favorite Pokemon, XD.

Well, Aptiva makes the show more glorious than ever by putting it at about .80 speed, so everyone sounds like they're trying way to hard at life, XDDD.

I only like the first season or two, because I lost interest in the show after that. But the second part there rings true, when Aptiva turns the show at .8 of its normal speed suddenly it becomes magical. Pretty much anything does though haha.

Didn't see this thread.

Anyway, I enjoy the BW series, but definitely not as much as the Sinnoh region, which was by far, my favorite.

I will say that with this current series, the trio actually 'feels' like a trio. They have excellent chemistry, unlike the DP series. I absolutely loved Ash, Dawn, and Brock, but it seems that the DP series focused more on the brother/sister relationship that Ash and Dawn had(which I didn't mind at all). Again, as a trio, IMO, the writers failed. It doesn't feel like Brock is in the group. It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason why, but when all 3 interact with each other, I find them pretty damn boring at times. It's the opposite with the BW trio.

As for why I think the DP series is much better than BW......I'll save that for another time. =P

As for the English dub, yes I enjoy the VA's in the 4Kids dub more, but I grown to accept the current VA's(they're not NEW VA's anymore lol). They are starting their seventh season(15th season overall) and I think they continue to improve each season. I like 4Kids music, but I don't prefer how they handled it in this series overall, due to them removing nearly all of the JP music.

Edited by canderson

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/34993/pokemon-tv-series-coming-to-3ds/

Nintendo fans living in America will be able to watch the Pokemon TV series on their 3DS consoles when they visit a Nintendo Zone from February 6th.

Nintendo Zone is available in 29,000 locations across the US. 3DS owners simply have to take their 3DS to any of these Nintendo Zones and they'll get a free automatic connection to the Wi-Fi network. Once connected, they can discover Nintendo Zone where they can play demos, watch game previews, 3D videos and full length animations. There are also trivia challenges plus retailer promotions and coupons.

Now fans will be able to visit a Pokemon section at Nintendo Zone that will feature full-length episodes of the Pokemon TV series. This Pokemon section will also include information and videos about the newest Pokemon video games, Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon news.

Would you like to be able to watch Pokemon TV episodes on your 3DS? Kirby TV came to 3DS in the UK this week.

Nintendo also announced a deal with free-hotspot.com that means you can now connect to 5000 free Wi-Fi hotspots across Europe.

I have more incentive to get a 3DS sooner than later now. The "Nintendo hotspots" is a little odd though, I wonder why they just didn't go with regular wifi.

But hey, if this means I can watch Season 1-9 again, then I'm game.

• Thumbs Up 1

God, I'm having such a nostalgic rushback right now. Just like chaoscontrol14, Pokemon WAS my childhood. A typical day for me at age 9 went something like this:

Wake up. Have breakfest consisting of Pokemon Eggo Bleuberry Waffle with Pokemon Cereal. Grab my backpack and be damn well sure I remembered to put in my Pokemon Gold/Silver edition Gameboy Color with whichever Pokemon game I was currently playing, my Pokemon card portfolio, and my favorite Pikachu figurine that I used to take with me everywhere. Get on bus, play Pokemon. Sit in class and ignore teacher while thinking about Pokemon, sometimes whispering about it to my best friend who was also obsessed with Pokemon. Compare Pokemon Card collection with classmates during lunch, make trades if possible. Play Pokemon game at recess. Go back to class, ignore and obsess some more, then go home. Once home, turn on Kids WB at 4:00pm to watch Pokemon cartoon. Watch it all the way through, even if it's a rerun or an episode I don't like. Go to friends house and play Pokemon Stadium for a few hours. Go home and take a bath, using Pokemon bubble bath formula. Go to bed. Repeat for about three years.

To give an even better idea of how obsessed I was, I can still to this very day remember the first 15 episodes of the anime. And I haven't watched a single episode of the show in the last ten years. And no, I haven't even so much as glanced at an episode list either. Anyways, I began losing interest sometime after Mewtwo Returns made the straight-to-DVD release. I still kept up with the franchise for a bit, but before long I was done with it. After that I regarded the franchise with total indifference, though I thanked it for the memories. Every few years I would pick up one of the old Gameboy games and play it for a bit, but never for more then a few hours worth.

A year ago, I had my first real semester of college. I think I speak for everyone when I say that when you find yourself on campus for the first time, you can feel the beginning of a new life awaiting you. If you turn around, you can still see your childhood waaaaaay off in the horizon waving goodbye, never to be seen or heard from again. It was because of this that I suddenly got super super super nostalgic. And what's more nostalgic for me than Pokemon? I dug through my closet and found my old Blue, Yellow, and Crystal cartidges. (I used to have Gold, but that was stolen) I never could get back into Yellow due to the large amounts of grinding necessary to beat the first Gym Leader, and the battery packs in both Blue and Crystal were dead. Yeah I could have used an emulator, but it's just not the same. So I bought Heartgold on the DS, and I fell in love again.

Mind you, it's not the same kind of love I held twelve years ago. Those days are never coming back. But I am interested in Pokemon as a gaming franchise again, and I'm kind of tempted to watch some of the old anime episodes just for old times sake. Now, let's end this post with a classic song.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

The anime fanbase in Portugal managed to contact the VA for Misty over there to record a small snippet of dialogue for her character, in the form of a letter of sorts to Ash before the Sinnoh League Conference.

Roughly, the message translates to something like this:

"Hi Ash! It's me, Misty! I hope everything is alright with you, Brock and Pikachu. I want to wish you good luck for the Sinnoh League, win that thing, go Ash! I miss those times when we travelled together, me, you and Brock, fighting Team Rocket. I remember it so well, we've been through a lot!... Everything's great here! Psyduck hasn't changed a bit, but the trainers that come for the Cascade Badge aren't having an easy task, mainly because of my Staryu, which has become a champion! I'm getting closer to becoming the greatest Water-type Pokémon Master in the world! Sometimes Tracey visits me and, oh!, I saw your mom the other day! I have also seen your Squirtle some days ago, with Officer Jenny. I miss you all a lot... I hope I see you soon! And, Ash Ketchum, this is an order, you have to win the Poké-League!".

It's harmless and non-canon in every way, but it's still cute and fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LXDkw.jpg

Soo, has anyone seen the new episode today? For some reason Trip keeps losing yet Ash can't beat him at regular matches.

Edited by Tmsp

LXDkw.jpg

Soo, has anyone seen the new episode today? For some reason Trip keeps losing yet Ash can't beat him at regular matches.

Seems to be a common thing. New rival that Ash can't beat until they're in their match in the pokemon league. Happened with gary and Paul.

Seems to be a common thing. New rival that Ash can't beat until they're in their match in the pokemon league. Happened with gary and Paul.

Yeah, but Trip is somewhat different.

Gary and Paul would beat the shit out of almost anyone but this guy keeps losing to anyone other than Ash, even Bianca beat him this time.

I adored, and still do adore, the Indigo League - I imported all of the DVDs and don't regret that decision in the slightest. I still cry when Butterfree goes bye-bye, and I feel stupid that I spent so many years thinking it would come back because Ash said about them meeting up again someday. I loved how the show seemed to go alongside the games so well; something they never seemed to do again after the first series.

I remember when I went on holiday with my folks to Wales on a narrow-boat, and I coerced my brother into recording the episode I was going to miss (he started a few minutes late!), and watched it on the boat on a tiny black-and-white TV. Good times.

Oh, and Seymour the Scientist was my favourite one-shot character.

Gary and Paul would beat the shit out of almost anyone but this guy keeps losing to anyone other than Ash, even Bianca beat him this time.

This obviously means Ash is a failure as a trainer, no seriously outside of the obligatory gym battles, does he win a single non-plot relevant battle?

This obviously means Ash is a failure as a trainer, no seriously outside of the obligatory gym battles, does he win a single non-plot relevant battle?

Edited by Tmsp