Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

The Indigo saga and I suppose of the Orange and early Johto episodes are absolutely amazing and hold a special place in my heart as my first anime and probably my favourite due to pure nostalgia.

Tentacool and Tentracruel is the best episode ever, just sayin'...

I hate how... formulaic the series got during Johto and everything afterwards, it's like literally:

• Meet New Pokemon/ Rival/ Friend > New Pokemon/ Rival's Pokemon/ Friend's Pokemon/ Pikachu is stolen by Team Rocket > LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN > Repeat Forever.

The only exceptions seem to be Gym/ Pokemon League/ URGHH CONTESTS. I miss interesting plot lines and characters, everything just seems so dull these days, like 90% of episodes seem to take place in random towns/ forests/ fields because there's nothing interesting going on.

Also wouldn't mind some throwbacks to old episodes for longtime fans, like god forbid Ash swapping out for some of his older Pokemon at times other than League matches and maybe some important older characters showing up at times other than when Ash returns to Kanto for like 3 episodes after every League.

I kinda wish Chronicles had become it's own series alongside the main series because that was crazy awesome, theres so many characters in the Pokemon Anime worth exploring and developing outside of their time spent with Ash that it's kinda depressing that they haven't made more series of it :/

#bitteraboutfictionalcharacterslol

• Thumbs Up 2

That's because Trip just started out as a trainer. The reason why Gary and Paul were beasts at battling was because they had tons of experience under their belts. But with ash, it's just a huge head scratcher for me.

Here we have somebody who's been to all the known regions, seen damn near every legendary pokemon, won the orange islands championship and the battle frontier, some of his pokemon have defeated certain legendaries before, his Pikachu should be on level 100 by now, he's saved the world several times and yet he can't seem to beat a rookie trainer like trip. Like I said, a big head scratcher.

This might have something to do with the fact that Ash is determined to leave all of his awesome pokemon behind, for one reason or another. I could understand when he was going from Johto to Hoenn because he specifically said he wanted to start anew, but nowadays there's really no reason given, so we're just suppose to assume that its the same reason.

Seriously, just take Charizard, Squirtle, Sceptile, Snorlax, Pikachu, and Swellow. Bam! Instant Rape Team.

Seeing as how it's April 1 in Japan right now, the Pokemon anime is officially 15 years old.

Happy anniversary anime! Here's hoping for Pokemon Generations a 20th anniversary!

• 1 month later...

Oh Dawns returning? Cool I guess. But what would really be cool is if Misty and Brock returned for a short time with their designs from HG/SS. It would be cool to see the original trio have a reunion.

Dawn is listed on the main character page on the official Pokemon site. No character who had been around for a simple arc got such a treatment; Misty wasn't put on the page when she had her Hoenn cameo, and May wasn't listed when she had her Sinnoh cameo.

Dawn may be around longer than tradition would indicate.

That's unusual, but I like dawn so I'm okay with this. Btw, you think this decision to keep dawn around will cause a major flamewar between NegaiShippers and PearlShippers?

Pokemon (the anime) is one of those things that i noticed was pretty, well, bad even as a kid (i mean honestly, the animation is stiff, the main heroes are boring and the plots are recycled endlessly)... and yet i enjoyed the hell out of it anyway. I especially loved the movie. Yes, the movie, as far as i am concerned there is only one of them! :P

These days, i mostly just like the franchise for nostalgias sake, which means i dont really care about the Pokemon generations that came after the first. Im sure there is nothing objectively bad about them, but they just aren't for me. I'll still occasionally watch a new episode if i happen to catch one though.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's unusual, but I like dawn so I'm okay with this. Btw, you think this decision to keep dawn around will cause a major flamewar between NegaiShippers and PearlShippers?

She's not present in the BW Season 2 opening, so if she's in the main character listing, she may just be a recurring character doing who knows what in Eastern Unova.

If that's true, I hope that sets a trend. Dawn shows up and becomes recurring, then May/Max/Brock/any combination of them shows up and become recurring doing whatever, then Tracey/Misty/both of them do the same, all doing something in Eastern Unova while Ash, Iris, and Cilan are going through the main plot of the BW2 saga.

The BW2 games have a big reunion bash in the form of a tournament. It would be cool if the anime did the same.

I used to have things like the Season 1 guide book, a rare VHS box, German Pokemon magazines and cards.

And I still have Pokemon Blue.

Edited by Applejack1973

She's not present in the BW Season 2 opening, so if she's in the main character listing, she may just be a recurring character doing who knows what in Eastern Unova.

If that's true, I hope that sets a trend. Dawn shows up and becomes recurring, then May/Max/Brock/any combination of them shows up and become recurring doing whatever, then Tracey/Misty/both of them do the same, all doing something in Eastern Unova while Ash, Iris, and Cilan are going through the main plot of the BW2 saga.

The BW2 games have a big reunion bash in the form of a tournament. It would be cool if the anime did the same.

We clearly need Brock back, Cilan may be funny but not Brock's level of funny and seriousness both when needed.

Never forget.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm absolutely puzzled why Dawn gets the most return time. She's a pretty "eh" character, all things considered. May had a more interesting personality and all her DP cameo amounted to was losing so she could make Dawn look good even though she has A LOT more experience and should've realistically won. I guess the writers must've REALLY loved writing comedic scenes for Piplup. A pity none of them are actually funny and I get too annoyed by its voice to care. Thank Kero for Oshawott. He's Piplup DONE RIGHT.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

We clearly need Brock back, Cilan may be funny but not Brock's level of funny and seriousness both when needed.

[media=]

Never forget.

Brock became an overused gag a long time ago.

I'm absolutely puzzled why Dawn gets the most return time. She's a pretty "eh" character, all things considered. May had a more interesting personality and all her DP cameo amounted to was losing so she could make Dawn look good even though she has A LOT more experience and should've realistically won. I guess the writers must've REALLY loved writing comedic scenes for Piplup. A pity none of them are actually funny and I get too annoyed by its voice to care. Thank Kero for Oshawott. He's Piplup DONE RIGHT.

The writers love Piplup, and they want you to love him too.

How long is Dawn coming back for anyway? Misty got five episodes if you include the time when she traveled in Battle Frontier, May came back for two or three episodes so I can't remember.

Misty got five episodes, not including her Chronicles episodes, and her split second cameo in one of the Hoenn League episodes. May got 5 episodes, one after another, and hasn't had a reference since except for the Teddiursa figurine she gave Ash when she visited; the figurine was shown in the first episode of the BW saga in the background of Ash's room.

Dawn is confirmed to be participating in the Junior Tournament that was mentioned in the BW2 scan, so she's sticking around for at least 5-6 episodes.

Edited by Joshua

The writers love Piplup, and they want you to love him too.

Have Oshawott behead him with his Razor Shell and I'll LOVE him. tongue.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Brock became an overused gag a long time ago.

Maybe but he can clearly have his serious moments like in the last 2/3 episodes of D/P.

I'm absolutely puzzled why Dawn gets the most return time.

That co-star status.

May had a more interesting personality and all her DP cameo amounted to was losing so she could make Dawn look good even though she has A LOT more experience and should've realistically won.

Dawn had a severe losing streak before the Wallace Cup, so this was done as a way to conclude a small character arc, and get some development for her.

Besides that, May used her Glaceon in her battle against Dawn, and Glaceon is relatively untrained compared to her other Pokemon, especially since it had just recently evolved.

Edited by Joshua

Fair enough. Still not particularly fond of the way it was handled, though.

[media=]

Never forget.

Eric Stuart is still an effing pimp. laugh.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Fair enough. Still not particularly fond of the way it was handled, though.

It was either "Piplup defeats Glaceon in the final round, and Dawn's confidence is boosted", or "Piplup defeats Blaziken/Venusaur/Wartortle/Beautifly/Munchlax/Skitty, and Dawn's confidence is boosted" or "Piplup gets massacred by any of May's Pokemon, and Dawn gets stuck even further into the rut."

Maybe but he can clearly have his serious moments like in the last 2/3 episodes of D/P.

2/3 episodes out of a 200 something episode season. D/P is probably the worst way he was handled, it was basically the "Ash & Dawn show...and Brock".

Edited by The Batman

• 2 weeks later...

WUm7j.png

Is that mutherfucking Primeape chillin right there? Yes it is!

There is also Squirtle and Gliscor in this scene, the only "released" Pokémon that aren't there are Butterfree, Lapras and Pidgeot.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 2

He...he actually got Primeape back...? The writers actually...remembered that he existed?! I...oh...well...I...

*POP!*

*Falls down*

Edited by chaoscontrol14