Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

It wasn't bad, it was just.......mediocre.

The entire movie is just fight scene, really long chase sequence, a another fight scene, then the ending.

Kadleo and the other Musketeers are cool characters, but they don't get any focus (well Kadleo does) and instead we have Ash and the gang playing cat and mouse with Kyruiem throughout most of the film, which is just lame.

Though the animation is pretty good, and Kadleo's development is pretty nice. Overall though it's just mediocre and wouldn't get me very interested in future movies.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed. The narrative didn't have a lot going on for itself as it mainly concentrated on action more than anything, so the film felt a lot shorter than I have expected it to be.

However, there was the plus that is Keldeo. I found that his character development was well executed, going from young and reckless to mature, wise (for the most part) and fearless. It felt believable to me, at least.

I was a bit more pleased as it wasn't the simple plot that was good dudes vs. evil dudes like in most Pokémon movies I have seen, so Kyurem was a bit more appreciable as an antagonist.

This movie makes me wanna raise my two Keldeos... Better get on that soon.

On the side, I admit that I haven't watched the Pokémon anime in yonks... well, since I was little, really. So this felt like a nice nostalgia joyride. I should probably get on the Best Wishes train...

Which brings me to Cilan's voice (and voice actor), to which I absolutely flipped my shit in surprise upon realisation.

"HOLY BALLS IT'S SANC"

Nice to hear Jason Griffith again!

Am I the only one who though Ash and co. didn't even need to be in this movie? At all. Typically, Ash just tends to steal the spotlight near the ending, but here he literally has no plot relevance at all, the main focus is on the conflict between Kyurem and Keldeo.

• Thumbs Up 3

Unova: So far, I see him at least making it to the Top 4 since both of his rivals are still in. However, it fucking confound me how he fucking goddamn refuses to fucking use any of his other Pokemon. He would have already been Champion 3 times over. No one in this League an take his Charizard, Sceptile, or from what it looks like, his Infernape.

As much as I want this to happen, the episode recently revealed is the final episode of the league before the Episode N arc begins, and in this final league episode, Ash's Pikachu is going against that boy's Lucario(his Riolu evolved). I have a feeling he'll get Top 8 as of now. Otherwise they can pull a BS move and have Ash win int the first half of the episode against his opponent, and then fast forward to the end of his Top 4 match where he ends up losing. It's all just a big mess regardless of what happens.

Edited by canderson

Am I the only one who though Ash and co. didn't even need to be in this movie? At all. Typically, Ash just tends to steal the spotlight near the ending, but here he literally has no plot relevance at all, the main focus is on the conflict between Kyurem and Keldeo.

Agreed, it would have worked better if there was no Ash and friends involved since all they did was lead Kyurem on a wild goose chase and it was all about the Keldeo and the Swords of Justice and his char development as he battles Kyurem. With little to no human interaction, It'll be almost like PMD, which I wish they make into a series already.

Huge fan of the pokemon anime, i own all of sinnoh on dvd and have seen many of the episodes would love discussing it with anyone just pm me or hit me up on messenger and ill try to post in this topic too. Have not seen the new movie but disappointing it is mediocre, because Black and White Victini and Reshiram and Zekrom I felt was pretty cool. How is it compared to the new one?

I've seen a lot of the old Pokemon TV show episodes, I don't exactly keep up with the newest one though... ^_^; I do love the games though, still. I lost a lot of them but I am going to rebuy them to relive somewhat of my childhood. c:

I think Team Rocket made it to counter Plasma's original, improving it by apparently making it faster (and painting it in riveting Rocket red).

I see Plasmasect being angry, and there can be only ONE genocidal cyberbug on the block...

Welp, Ive watched all the 275 episodes of the original series and it was quite a crazy ride I tell ya. I guess ill explain my thoughts on each arc.

Indigo Plateau: Nice and very nostalgic for me, a lot of the episodes are very memorable (due to not suffering from the later fatigue the show would go through) and the music is pretty great. Also the entire thing is paced really well, with a solid 85 episodes you never have to wait to long for Ash to get each of his badges. Though a lot of the badges he earns are mostly through pity, I think the only legit battles he's won are Lt Surge, Blaine, and Koga.

Ash did pretty badly in the Indigo League, though I kind of expected him to. He was really inexperienced, he had to listen to a lot the advice Misty and Brock gave him, and all the training he did beforehand was either nonexistent or total horse shit. No wonder Charizard ended up not listening to him and costing him the whole thing.

Overall I can say I it's a nostalgic, fun, cheesy start when all's said and done.

Orange Islands: For a filler arc id say it's pretty good, I know everyone lost their shit when Brock was briefly replaced by Tracey but he really isn't that bad of a character, he has some charming quirks about him and his mild mannered attitude as a good contrast to Brock's horn dog eccentricities.. At 35 episodes it's as long as a filler arc should be. Some highlights of this series is Charizard finally learning to respect Ash and the extremely scientific (for Pokemon anyway) episode about the Pokemon watcher.

Also Ash actually won the Pokemon League here, though since it's filler so it's up to you if it counts or not.

Johto: Oh boy.....have I got a lot to say here. The pacing with this season is so fucking schizophrenic and the padding is just atrocious. While in the original series it took Ash only 4-5 episodes to get to the first gym, it takes Ash like 12 episodes to get to the first gym here. That's just insane, I'm not saying some of the filler episodes aren't actually pretty well done, but they really need to learn how to pace themselves. I think the worst case I've seen is the completely pointless Whirl Islands mini arc between Cinawood and Olivine City. What was accomplished? A silly water competition that no named characters ended up winning, making it the whole Whirl Islands Mini Arc completely pointless. I guess it sort of comes to a head with the Lugia 3-Parter, but they honestly could have done that in a much shorter timespan. I also don't think I have to mention the completely wasted G.S Ball plot point, what could have been an great over-aching story and a chance to get in more on the history of Ash (his father) was instead condensed into an average 81 minute movie, what a bummer.

For positive stuff, Ash actually legitimately wins all of his Gym Badges, also the Gym Leaders themselves are pretty fun and entertaining characters, and a lot of them even appear in more than one episode and even have character arcs (Pryce, Whitney, and Claire specifically). The send offs for all of Ash's old Pokemon were pretty touching as well, especially Charizard and Bublasaur though unlike more unfortunate cases (Primeape and Pidgeot) they made several returns. We also saw the return of a lot of characters from Indigo, I was glad when I saw Todd Snap, the Squirtle Squad, Richie, and Suzie make a comeback. To bad we probably won't see them again anytime soon.

I also really like how this Pokemon League was handled. Again, the main part of this League wasn't really Ash winning, but the Gary Oak rivalry that has been building up throughout the entire show up to that point, and when Ash managed to beat his long time rival that was basically his personal victory. Though he lost the next round, we got a cool battle out of it and a chance to see one of Gen III's most badass Pokemon.

Oh god, and I have to mention how goddamn touching the Misty and Brock goodbyes were, I never expected to see Pokemon get so emotional and seeing Ash and Pikachu all by their lonesome really tugged on the heartstrings. Though the Pokeshipper in me is extremely frustrated by the mixed signals that Ash and Misty give off, I'm just as confused about their relationship now as I was when it began!

At 157 Episodes all together it's almost twice as long as the Indigo and Orange Island arcs combined, and it really could have done with some shortening down. This is where a lot of people started to have issues with Pokemon's entire structure. The whole "character of the day" approach seriously gets fucking old real fast, and i really wished that it was a bit more fresh and less padded than what we got. Though I still enjoyed it so what do I know.

Now that that's out of the way, I can begin watching the  Advanced Generations seasons, I remember having good memories of this one, and Gen III is my favorite. So who knows, maybe this new start will be the fresh air Pokemon needs after the bloated Johto season.

Edited by TheScroogenator

Welp, Ive watched all the 275 episodes of the original series and it was quite a crazy ride I tell ya. I guess ill explain my thoughts on each arc.

Indigo Plateau: Nice and very nostalgic for me, a lot of the episodes are very memorable (due to not suffering from the later fatigue the show would go through) and the music is pretty great. Also the entire thing is paced really well, with a solid 85 episodes you never have to wait to long for Ash to get each of his badges. Though a lot of the badges he earns are mostly through pity, I think the only legit battles he's won are Lt Surge, Blaine, and Koga.

Ash did pretty badly in the Indigo League, though I kind of expected him to. He was really inexperienced, he had to listen to a lot the advice Misty and Brock gave him, and all the training he did beforehand was either nonexistent or total horse shit. No wonder Charizard ended up not listening to him and costing him the whole thing.

Overall I can say I it's a nostalgic, fun, cheesy start when all's said and done.

Orange Islands: For a filler arc id say it's pretty good, I know everyone lost their shit when Brock was briefly replaced by Tracey but he really isn't that bad of a character, he has some charming quirks about him and his mild mannered attitude as a good contrast to Brock's horn dog eccentricities.. At 35 episodes it's as long as a filler arc should be. Some highlights of this series is Charizard finally learning to respect Ash and the extremely scientific (for Pokemon anyway) episode about the Pokemon watcher.

Also Ash actually won the Pokemon League here, though since it's filler so it's up to you if it counts or not.

Johto: Oh boy.....have I got a lot to say here. The pacing with this season is so fucking schizophrenic and the padding is just atrocious. While in the original series it took Ash only 4-5 episodes to get to the first gym, it takes Ash like 12 episodes to get to the first gym here. That's just insane, I'm not saying some of the filler episodes aren't actually pretty well done, but they really need to learn how to pace themselves. I think the worst case I've seen is the completely pointless Whirl Islands mini arc between Cinawood and Olivine City. What was accomplished? A silly water competition that no named characters ended up winning, making it the whole Whirl Islands Mini Arc completely pointless. I guess it sort of comes to a head with the Lugia 3-Parter, but they honestly could have done that in a much shorter timespan. I also don't think I have to mention the completely wasted G.S Ball plot point, what could have been an great over-aching story and a chance to get in more on the history of Ash (his father) was instead condensed into an average 81 minute movie, what a bummer.

For positive stuff, Ash actually legitimately wins all of his Gym Badges, also the Gym Leaders themselves are pretty fun and entertaining characters, and a lot of them even appear in more than one episode and even have character arcs (Pryce, Whitney, and Claire specifically). The send offs for all of Ash's old Pokemon were pretty touching as well, especially Charizard and Bublasaur though unlike more unfortunate cases (Primeape and Pidgeot) they made several returns. We also saw the return of a lot of characters from Indigo, I was glad when I saw Todd Snap, the Squirtle Squad, Richie, and Suzie make a comeback. To bad we probably won't see them again anytime soon.

I also really like how this Pokemon League was handled. Again, the main part of this League wasn't really Ash winning, but the Gary Oak rivalry that has been building up throughout the entire show up to that point, and when Ash managed to beat his long time rival that was basically his personal victory. Though he lost the next round, we got a cool battle out of it and a chance to see one of Gen III's most badass Pokemon.

Oh god, and I have to mention how goddamn touching the Misty and Brock goodbyes were, I never expected to see Pokemon get so emotional and seeing Ash and Pikachu all by their lonesome really tugged on the heartstrings. Though the Pokeshipper in me is extremely frustrated by the mixed signals that Ash and Misty give off, I'm just as confused about their relationship now as I was when it began!

At 157 Episodes all together it's about half as long as Indigo and Orange Island combined, and it really could have done with some shortening down. This is where a lot of people started to have issues with Pokemon's entire structure. The whole "character of the day" approach seriously gets fucking old real fast, and i really wished that it was a bit more fresh and less padded than what we got. Though I still enjoyed it so what do I know.

Now that that's out of the way, I can begin watching the  Advanced Generations seasons, I remember having good memories of this one, and Gen III is my favorite. So who knows, maybe this new start will be the fresh air Pokemon needs after the bloated Johto season.

Enjoy Hoenn while you can because you know what's next...

You mean the worst shit ever? Yeah, I can't wait.

That's a good attitude to have, it'll mean so much more when you're soul is crushed after all of the shit.

Sinnoh wasn't THAT bad...

I mean, It's better than Johto.

I watched a good chunk of episodes of Sinnoh back when they were new, and compared to Johto it doesn't hold a damn candle.

I basically see the Sinnoh seasons as the huge turd mountain I will have to climb before getting to the much praised Best Wishes.

Err, the Lucario Movie was during the Advance Generation seasons, due to having May and Max as main characters in it.

Edited by TheScroogenator

I watched a good chunk of episodes of Sinnoh back when they were new, and compared to Johto it doesn't hold a damn candle.

I basically see the Sinnoh seasons as the huge turd mountain I will have to climb before getting to the much praised Best Wishes.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I liked the filler a lot more than Johto's filler.

And because I consider Dawn basically Ash done right...

Eh. I'm not sure if Iris is my favorite companion yet because I haven't seen enough of best wishes, but from what I've seen, I like.

I just wish she didn't get shafted so much in favor of Cilan.

The Sinnoh saga seemed to have forgotten to establish character relationships at the same level as Advanced Generation and the Original Series, but made up for that with an astounding level of continuity. Between Team Galactic, Dawn's Contest struggles, J, Chimchar, and many others, the saga felt like a truer story and much less episodic than the series' before it.

So if you're in for continuity and depth, Sinnoh's got you covered. If you're in it for great character fleshing, you're better off somewhere else.

• Thumbs Up 2

What killed Sinnoh for me was the pacing, you guys thought Johto was bad, ya'll ain't see nothing yet.

But yeah, Sinnoh has it's moments with plot, but falls short of actual characterization. It's essentially Brock's lowest point on the show by far.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of figured, because even by Johto he seemed to have lost his purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's cool to have around, but I have to ask why he bothers slumming it with Ash and co during their travels.