Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

2 hours ago, Sean said:

In the Pichu & Pikachu short, Ash is celebrating his birthday and one year anniversary of having met Pikachu

oh wait that short is banned so it's not canon

Hold on, what--

This is the only one of the theatrical Pikachu shorts to be excluded from the Pikachu The Movie Premium Box: 1998-2010, as well as not reaired on TV. This apparently had to do with the narrator of the short, Sakai Noriko's arrest due to possession of drugs.

O-oh. Oh dear.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

LOOK AT ALL THE WARRIORS

THE KALOS LEAGUE HAS BEEN FORGIVEN

Uhhhh, no. The Kalos League can never be forgiven. But great preview nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 6

At least the gym leaders are actually together for once and helping taking down a team. This is something I wanted to see in the series for a long time especially in Best Wishes. 

38 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Uhhhh, no. The Kalos League can never be forgiven. But great preview nonetheless.

let me live my lie

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/10/2016 at 7:04 PM, Soniman said:

LOOK AT ALL THE WARRIORS

THE KALOS LEAGUE HAS BEEN FORGIVEN

Well, I can actually commend the show of actually going all out with their finale finally, unless I missed something in the previous seasons.

Unfortunately there are those who are still bitter about the League tho.

Early info from Serebii. The bolded instantly caught my eye:

Ash will receive a Z Ring and meet the Melemele Island Guardian, Tapu Koko. In the series, Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate "like never before".

Figured this series would have to be quite different with the lack of Gyms, but wasn't expecting THAT different. 0_o

• Thumbs Up 3

In the series, Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate "like never before".

I find this line absolutely hilarious.

I like Ash's new clothes. They're closer to the male protagonist than usual. Art style seems a bit different, but it might just be this picture. It seems like Team Rocket will get a Bewear. The hugging thing fits in with Victreebel and Lickitung. Rowlet's position makes it seem like it'll be Ash's starter partner.

Look at Ash's goofball face, LOL.  Well, I expected nothing but something different and we sure as hell got it.  Looks like Mallow, Sophocles and Lana are joining him as well if the pictures are correct (sorry Serena fans...).  The opening is way more interesting than usual.  Not sure how school is going to feature in this, but the prospect of a Tapu Koko running plot sounds promising.

So the Sun and Moon girl isn't joining Ash? That's too bad, but on the other hand MALLOW

This is some hype stuff y'all. Can't wait!

And so Amour died a silent and undignified death. Greninja fucks off back to Oak's lab despite the "bond" he and Ash share. All is right with the world.

6 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

And so Amour died a silent and undignified death. Greninja fucks off back to Oak's lab despite the "bond" he and Ash share. All is right with the world.

Well with Greninja, there's a (admittedly small) chance he might stay at the ninja village, like with Charizard at the Charicific Valley.  I'm not resting my hopes on it, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

No Main female Protagonist being here, no problem, Mallow seems like the main girl type anyway plus SHE CAN COOK!

I already doubted that Serena would still be around anyway, she already got a big offer from that woman from The last Pokemon Showcase, for her to turn that down just to follow a boy who is oblivious as hell would be a bit stupid on her, and a tad selfish to her pokemon too.

inb4 every single one of Ash's past traveling companions makes a cameo to guest-teach a class.

Tracey subbing for Art, Brock subbing for Home Ec and Health, Cilan subbing for Culinary Arts, May and Dawn guest lecturing Contests, Iris coming in to take everyone on a nature hike, Serena giving a speech on Performances, Misty and Clemont video-lecturing about their gyms and proper maintenance. Bring it.

The art style looks really different in that preview. In particular, Ash's hair seems to have a more softer, rounded appearance, and his eyes look kinda different again.

Overall his face seems smaller, aside from the mouth.

I'm surprised they just straight up went with the SM protagonist's outfit. It's pretty cool TBH!

I'm glad they went with the exact outfit. I'd half expected him to continue wearing a jacket as per tradition, despite how effing ridiculous that'd be in a warmer region (the fact he wore a hoodie in Hoenn was bad enough).

He's also not wearing gloves for the first time.

So since its going to be a school setting, let's list all of the potential archetypes we could be getting. 

Tomboy

Ojou-sama

Tsundere

The jock rival

The genius of the class

The cool teacher.

The young Kohai who looks up to Ash

EDGELORDS

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprise everyone! Every character you grew attached to is gone, and all investment for fans who followed in XY is soiled! This hasn't happened before at all!

Spoiler

(looking at you, fans who got salty about people still mad about the original series :y)

But no for real, the new series looks and sounds to be ridiculous. As in so ridiculous that I might actually watch the first episode or two to see what it's like. School anime are almost always butt, but putting that spin on Pokemon almost sounds hilarious / interesting lol. If it's good then ayy, if it's not then even better, more to poke fun at. It's a win-win situation!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Surprise everyone! Every character you grew attached to is gone, and all investment for fans who followed in XY is soiled! This hasn't happened before at all!

But no for real, the new series looks and sounds to be ridiculous. As in so ridiculous that I might actually watch the first episode or two to see what it's like. School anime are almost always butt, but putting that spin on Pokemon almost sounds hilarious / interesting lol. If it's good then ayy, if it's not then even better, more to poke fun at. It's a win-win situation!

I've  grown so numb to this cycle this isn't even surprising anymore man lol. I just hope it can continue XY's momentum and keep the decent writing going 

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Preview of Sun and Moon Arc

corocoro10165.jpg

8 hours ago, Electro Slacker CC14 said:

Early info from Serebii. The bolded instantly caught my eye:

Ash will receive a Z Ring and meet the Melemele Island Guardian, Tapu Koko. In the series, Ash is going to school and his goal is to graduate "like never before".

Figured this series would have to be quite different with the lack of Gyms, but wasn't expecting THAT different. 0_o

Dat art style.

Dat Z move JoJo pose.

The eternal cycle of retcons that never ends for praising the Status Quo.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I've  grown so numb to this cycle this isn't even surprising anymore man lol. I just hope it can continue XY's momentum and keep the decent writing going 

Just as long as you don't get too heavily invested again. I think that's the lesson everyone needs to learn here.

I can be salt about the original Pokemon series not going anywhere for the rest of my days (and I have been on more than one occasion), but it's best to just keep in mind that Pokemon isn't meant for long term meaningful storytelling or plot/character development. It's meant to get children invested in the series as a sort of gateway to the game franchise, or just to keep them going in their childhood days until they've "outgrown" what it offers.

It resets itself for every and/or every other generation for that very reason: to grab the new crowd of kids and reintroduce them to the series on a layman's level. Does that blow? Absolutely yes, it sucks big time. But we shouldn't really expect any different really, it's a children's anime / video game tie-in above and beyond anything else.

As long as we can find merits of each show to enjoy (if we enjoy it) without expecting it to actually cater to any sort of long-time fans' wants and desires, then I guess we're good. XY's work all the way up until it's league finale may have been an exception to this rule (maybe it was the bone thrown to the fans who wanted something like that before they made a drastic change?), but whatev really lol.

The only things I really need if I were to be interested again would be good pokemon biology/geography mythos stuff, and good comedy (something the series hasn't had in.. god, how long already?). That's about it tbh.

• Thumbs Up 5