Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I'm glad they went with the exact outfit. I'd half expected him to continue wearing a jacket as per tradition, despite how effing ridiculous that'd be in a warmer region (the fact he wore a hoodie in Hoenn was bad enough).

He's also not wearing gloves for the first time.

There are some minor differences actually. The hat of course is a different color, but other differences are the stripes being inverted and the balls on his shoes being whie instead of black and smaller.

This already sounds so ridiculous but I'm kinda into it. Shame about the female trainer not being in sight, but that doesn't necessarily mean she won't be in there. We don't even know the Sun and Moon protagonists' "canon" / default names yet, so that could be why they're holding off.

I just wonder if Ash'll still travel around the islands. I mean, going to school seems like it'd be limiting, plus I can't imagine Ash NOT taking on the island challenges (unless they aren't a thing here...?), but I guess there's always field trips or something.

I assume the "school" is actually a reskinned Rite of the Island Challenge; you go around the islands of Alola learning about different places and types and Alolan culture and so on, and so it's framed as a learning experience rather than just a series of fights.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Azoo said:

Just as long as you don't get too heavily invested again. I think that's the lesson everyone needs to learn here.

I can be salt about the original Pokemon series not going anywhere for the rest of my days (and I have been on more than one occasion), but it's best to just keep in mind that Pokemon isn't meant for long term meaningful storytelling or plot/character development. It's meant to get children invested in the series as a sort of gateway to the game franchise, or just to keep them going in their childhood days until they've "outgrown" what it offers.

It resets itself for every and/or every other generation for that very reason: to grab the new crowd of kids and reintroduce them to the series on a layman's level. Does that blow? Absolutely yes, it sucks big time. But we shouldn't really expect any different really, it's a children's anime / video game tie-in above and beyond anything else.

As long as we can find merits of each show to enjoy (if we enjoy it) without expecting it to actually cater to any sort of long-time fans' wants and desires, then I guess we're good. XY's work all the way up until it's league finale may have been an exception to this rule (maybe it was the bone thrown to the fans who wanted something like that before they made a drastic change?), but whatev really lol.

The only things I really need if I were to be interested again would be good pokemon biology/geography mythos stuff, and good comedy (something the series hasn't had in.. god, how long already?). That's about it tbh.

I can't help myself from getting invested with it though. It's too much fun for me.

I can get invested without thinking he's gonna win a League though. It's just that XY really did make it seem like he'd win. As long as they don't do THAT again I should be fine, hehe.

This is literally the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the premise 

• Thumbs Up 7

Pokemon GX. Generation Next.

The premise sounds so out of left field. Like out of an even leftier field than the Orange Islands. After 900 episodes or so of similar situations, I'd be up to follow this. Loving the art direction too. It looks like someone new got handed over the reigns of character design/ art direction behind the scenes again and everything feels fresh.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know how to feel about this to be honest I think I need to see a trailer. If it's as good as the previews series and they don't make Ash become as stupid and incompetent as he was in Best Wishes then yeah I'll most likely watch it. Considering how story driven Sun/Moon looks to be with Team Skull, the Aether Foundation and the ultra beast I hope they'll do a good job adapting that then again Black and White was story driven and we all knew how shit that anime was

Interesting enough somebody on twitter pointed out that the 19th episode will be on the same week as the shows 20th anniversary and the show is quickly reaching 1000th episodes I wonder if they'll do anything interesting when they reach those mile stones and not some crappy special like Mastermind Mirage 

It'd be nice if they did a reunion special, or even a Sonic Generations type story would be awesome (some kind of time-traveling phenominon brings Ash face to face with his OS series self along with the Brock and Misty from that era).

I'm not even gonna bother with this lol, I was skeptical with X&Y and the only reason I  really cared was because the battles looked cool. If those are still around, then I'll probably peak every now and then but the lack of any emotional investment in any of the characters, which is something I kinda require to like a show, makes it hard for me to care about anything that's going to happen because I know its just going to be reset at the end lol. 

So, if anyone is going to continue with this, power to them I guess.

19 hours ago, Azoo said:

Just as long as you don't get too heavily invested again. I think that's the lesson everyone needs to learn here.

I can be salt about the original Pokemon series not going anywhere for the rest of my days (and I have been on more than one occasion), but it's best to just keep in mind that Pokemon isn't meant for long term meaningful storytelling or plot/character development. It's meant to get children invested in the series as a sort of gateway to the game franchise, or just to keep them going in their childhood days until they've "outgrown" what it offers.

It resets itself for every and/or every other generation for that very reason: to grab the new crowd of kids and reintroduce them to the series on a layman's level. Does that blow? Absolutely yes, it sucks big time. But we shouldn't really expect any different really, it's a children's anime / video game tie-in above and beyond anything else.

As long as we can find merits of each show to enjoy (if we enjoy it) without expecting it to actually cater to any sort of long-time fans' wants and desires, then I guess we're good. XY's work all the way up until it's league finale may have been an exception to this rule (maybe it was the bone thrown to the fans who wanted something like that before they made a drastic change?), but whatev really lol.

The only things I really need if I were to be interested again would be good pokemon biology/geography mythos stuff, and good comedy (something the series hasn't had in.. god, how long already?). That's about it tbh.

You got to admit though, its kind of a kick in the nuts to long time fans who are emotionally invested because they have to sit through this every season and watch the creators be woefully ignorant to their desires and wants. (Kind of like another series we know about where the developers and long time fans are out of touch hmmmmmmmmmmm)

• Thumbs Up 1

In brighter news, ORIGINS IS GETTING A SUCCESSOR IN THE FORM OF NEW SHORTS!!!! Each of them will be 3 to 5 minutes long and they'll be releasing every week through December 23rd!

Edit: Espio'd.

Yea, you got ninja'd there buddy. But this looks interesting, if nothing more than an alternative to the Anime to see cooler shit.

If he goes to Kalos I guess it's just to discover more of the Mega Evolution thing he did with Charizard.

I wish they would've went with the original designs. Not a fan of Gen 3 Red.

Hopefully the animation is better than Origins. Humans looked off in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally, something for the the series's 20th anniversary that isn't focused solely on Gen 1 and Kanto. I hope the pacing is good, as much as i liked Origins the pacing in it was terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what. If the writing in this is amazing or similar to Origins. I will forgive what they did to Ash in Kalos.

Wait.

Is Red traveling to other regions?

His journey isn't finished?

...Even though he won the Kanto league?

WHY CAN'T ASH WIN THEN???

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Look cool

Did Red have to be the main protagonist in all the Gens showcased though? 

I just hope the other protagonists make an appearance

3 hours ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Wait.

Is Red traveling to other regions?

His journey isn't finished?

...Even though he won the Kanto league?

WHY CAN'T ASH WIN THEN???

I think it's safe to assume this is years later, at which point Red's been defeated by the Johto games' protagonist. So he doesn't have that keeping him in one place. 

Plus, we've seen Champions go to other regions before in the show (Cynthia and Steven, who I'm pretty sure still hold their titles). The way I see it, the Champs need to show up when there's a challenger, but that's probably a lot less common than you'd think; because of the games, it's easy to think that it can't be that hard, but we're also playing a video game where the player winning is kind of a guaranteed possibility. Point is, it could be that challengers are actually rare for them. At worst, the Champs can probably have the Elite Four or an equally powerful trainer stand in for them, if need be.

And that's all just talking about THE Champions. Ash still has yet to win a League tournament, and I don't think that would limit him at all, let alone to the same extent the Champs are. I'm not the first person to say this in this thread (sorry, I can't remember who did D':) , but I actually wouldn't mind him losing to the Elite Four or the Champion. They're kinda on a whole other level after all.

So yeah, there's basically no reason to not let him win. We know he's a good trainer, especially in sagas like Sinnoh and Kalos where they let him show just how far he's come, and this time around he had a pretty fantastic team of 'mons. None of that guarantees anything, but the fact we have episodes of this show where characters overcome impossible (or, at least, pretty bad) odds as long as they don't give up, etc. on a regular basis, it's so weird to see them throw that out the window for the times when that sort of trope would be at it's most exciting (outside of world-saving shenanigans).

56 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Look cool

Did Red have to be the main protagonist in all the Gens showcased though? 

I think it's for the same reason they do this in the games: they don't want to choose between the protags (boy or girl). Red gets a free pass because original generation, I guess. It wouldn't be impossible to work around, but I'm not so sure how they'd pull it off here.

...Actually, I guess they could take after the Black & White 2 and ORAS animated trailers. Just kinda casually feature both of them without setting one or the other up as the "definitive" protagonist.

They could also try alternating, maybe. Red -> Kris/Lyra -> Brendan -> Dawn -> Hilbert -> Rosa -> Calem -> Sun & Moon girl. I'd be sad about HIlda not being in there, but it's worth it for the new gal.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1