Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

5 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

If it's years later, than I'm dying to know Red's secret to eternal youth.

Well, in the games he doesn't look too different between 11 (FRLG) and 14/16 (HGSS / BW2). Immortal Red is canon now.

21 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I think it's safe to assume this is years later, at which point Red's been defeated by the Johto games' protagonist. So he doesn't have that keeping him in one place. 

Plus, we've seen Champions go to other regions before in the show (Cynthia and Steven, who I'm pretty sure still hold their titles). The way I see it, the Champs need to show up when there's a challenger, but that's probably a lot less common than you'd think; because of the games, it's easy to think that it can't be that hard, but we're also playing a video game where the player winning is kind of a guaranteed possibility. Point is, it could be that challengers are actually rare for them. At worst, the Champs can probably have the Elite Four or an equally powerful trainer stand in for them, if need be.

And that's all just talking about THE Champions. Ash still has yet to win a League tournament, and I don't think that would limit him at all, let alone to the same extent the Champs are. I'm not the first person to say this in this thread (sorry, I can't remember who did D':) , but I actually wouldn't mind him losing to the Elite Four or the Champion. They're kinda on a whole other level after all.

So yeah, there's basically no reason to not let him win. We know he's a good trainer, especially in sagas like Sinnoh and Kalos where they let him show just how far he's come, and this time around he had a pretty fantastic team of 'mons. None of that guarantees anything, but the fact we have episodes of this show where characters overcome impossible (or, at least, pretty bad) odds as long as they don't give up, etc. on a regular basis, it's so weird to see them throw that out the window for the times when that sort of trope would be at it's most exciting (outside of world-saving shenanigans).

That just kinda dives into my main problem with the anime as a whole nobody really wins. If you exclude Ash(and by extension team rocket) from the equation how come the other characters that have goals never accomplish them? May, Dawn and Serena have character arcs/goals and even tho they're characters that exist for one series wouldn't it be nice to send them off on a good note with them doing something they wanted to do from the start. I mean technically the only person to so far accomplish their goal is Misty since the whole reason why she left her city was to become a better gym leader and I guess Gary too even if that was a last minute thing for him to not be Ash's rival anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

Didn't Brock also become like an apprentice doctor or something? That's kind of in line with his general aptitudes and talents, even if it wasn't specifically breeding.

No that's what he wants to become but he hasn't accomplished it yet. Also I forgot that Clemont wanted to become a better gym leader and he technically already accomplished that.

I was pretty surprised by the "Generations" announcement, and I have to say the trailer looks great. I'm also pleased to continue to hear the LA voice actors return. Given how stiff the acting is in the regular anime, it'll be a nice change up, provided the direction is better too. I'm personally glad to hear Lucien Dodge reprise Green.

I'm also pretty excited about some of the potential stories the trailer hints at: Red vs. Perfect Zygarde? Green taking on the Elite Four? Just what is Looker doing? I can't imagine how this will work in the short format! Actually, I'm a bit on the fence about that, but if that alleviates some of the problems The Origin had with glossing over things because they only had four episodes to work with, and give more time to certain events, I'd like to see how they do. Maybe we'll even see some rarer characters like Will and Karen get the spotlight. We already see Cheryl from DP being chased by a giant Haunter, so anything's possible.

The use of Red is definitely noticeable, but I think it might actually be a smart move. He's the first trainer of the series, he's noted as one of the strongest trainers, even having one of the strongest/highest level teams of all NPC characters, and he also parallels Ash (he's even seen with his own signature Pikachu--which was noticeably absent in The Origin). It might also be a way of not making viewers who played the games feel invalidated by picking and choosing hero characters between generations (one could make an argument for the most suitable reps per generation, though). And, besides, it doesn't mean the other heroes won't appear or play their own roles (maybe both playable options will appear and even be friends/rivals), they likely won't be the main focus.

Wow, it has a completely different style. It looks like Studio Ghibli with the lack of shading and how the faces are designed. It'll take some getting used to, but I like it.

A little worried though, since the last animation change we got was BW, the soft reboot thing... I'll hope for the best, though. Pikachu DID use a Z Move which is super powerful, so.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually really like how it looks. Almost Hosoda-esque.

And Ash looks like he has more personality again.

And the poster:

mJDTh8A.jpg

Looks like Team Rocket might also be getting a Mimikyu? I actually really like that idea.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's a shame Ash found the fountain of youth again, but the anime is looking really good based off the preview.  Love it.

Have to admit, it's going to take more than an episode or two for me to get used to Ash's new face, but other than that I haven't got much to complain about.  Looks fun and Mimikyu looks like it'll take a role similar to Jigglypuff, so that's a plus.  I'm curious why Trial Captains are students though.  Makes me wonder what the school specifically teaches. 

Meanwhile, in XYZ it looks like that hour long special genuinely lived up to all its hype.  I've only seen pictures and I'm already of the opinion that it's epic as all get out.

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hide contents

Do Lysandre actually just fucking die??

Spoiler

Alain: Guys I think we just killed a man

Ash: If anybody asks....Bonnie did it

Bonnie: YEAH-wait what?

That was the first thing  that came to mind

So the team flare arc was surprisingly good best villain arc the series had....which isn't saying much since all the other were bad well I guess besides the Lugia arc. 

As for the Sun/Moon anime.....I don't know how to feel about it something just feels....weird to me.

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hide contents

Do Lysandre actually just fucking die??

Seems so, though it wouldn't be the first time a major villan has died in the Pokemon anime

In DP, Hunter J died when her ship exploded

3 minutes ago, CD Sanic said:

Seems so, though it wouldn't be the first time a major villan has died in the Pokemon anime

Reveal hidden contents

In DP, Hunter J died when her ship exploded

Cyrus kinda died when he entered that portal in the DP anime didn't he?

Also... Was Lysandres death the same as it was in the games?

4 minutes ago, Fusion Demon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cyrus kinda died when he entered that portal in the DP anime didn't he?

Also... Was Lysandres death the same as it was in the games?

Spoiler

Lysander committed suicide in the games, in this Zygarde just straight up killed him

15 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:
  Hide contents

Lysander committed suicide in the games, in this Zygarde just straight up killed him

Did he? It's been a long time since I played the games main story, but Bulbapedia claims he got buried under the rubble from the HQ collapse, with it being merely unknown whether he survived or not.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hide contents

Did he? It's been a long time since I played the games main story, but Bulbapedia claims he got buried under the rubble from the HQ collapse, with it being merely unknown whether he survived or not.

Spoiler

Well. He shot himself with a weapon of massive destruction so either way he died

BTW...the Sun/Moon anime looks weird with the new style. Almost like a completely different anime. And the games make Bewear look so small and in the preview it's effing huge

• Thumbs Up 2

AAAAAAAAAAAAAND I'm down for this.

Art style looks fantastic and fluid, hopefully the budget isn't completely thrown out in one episode. The show looks more interesting than it has in ages, tbh.

I just want to see how it looks in motion. It's, uh, kind of hard to tell from that preview considering the footage is so choppy. :V

Here's a better quality version of the clip.

The amount of salt/hate that the animation style is getting in the retweets and replies to this is kinda hilarious. Oh no, Pokemon is looking more cartoony and lively than ever before!! It's terrible!

• Thumbs Up 9

I've only been sticking to Serebii in terms of response and god, I didn't expect the production values to get that much debate and deep inspection and estimation.  For me though, the quality still seems there, it's just tweaked to look stylistically different.  The one single issue I have with it is Ash's head and nothing else.  That's it and while it may be for some fans, that really isn't much of a deal breaker for me.  Everyone else looks strangely the same as they would in the original art style. 

I think it's the animation that's making want to check this out more than anything, so I'll pulley do that. The softer colors, lines and expressions about it draws my attention.

Ash's character (insert lolcharacterjokehere) based on the previous seem to imply a slice of life middle school kid having fun, just insert Pokemon

What's the deal with the Pokémon Company, though? The Pokémon Generations video was 360p and this is even worse quality. It's kind of annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1