King Frosty

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

This episode was just a cavalcade of anime references, not just Utena. 

That glorious Jessie screenshot!

tumblr_pgxzmrJMgh1uep5pko1_500h.jpg?fbclid=IwAR0Yt5HISa370grbnZtsFV-v0npjaGPwUSiKbTaBjhAC4jy76whyC8lGXUs

A knowing shoutout to most of Megumi Hayashibara's iconic VA roles through her 30+ years of voice acting.

From left to right, to the best of my knowledge:

Himiko Shinobibe - Mashin Hero Wataru (her third role in her career, dating all the way back to 1988!)
Ranma Saotome - Ranma 1/2
Lina Inverse - Slayers
Rei Ayanami - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Lime - Saber Marionette J
Literally Hello Kitty/Sanrio
Faye Valentine - Cowboy Bebop
Ai Haibara - Detective Conan
Minky Momo - Magical Princess Minky Momo
Paprika - Paprika

Fantastic stuff.

It's kind of strange to think they would reference adult anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc. which has killings/blood/death, nudity, fanservice, etc. in a children's anime like Pokemon. Granted all these references would likely fly over kids heads, especially since most of this anime is 20+ years old.

Well this November marks the 16th anniversary of the end of the original series in Japan, given the Johto seasons ended in November 2002. It's also of course the permanent end of the original trio and Misty in the series. Ironically enough the second SM cameo for Misty/Brock should air in late November to coincide the Let's Go games, so she would actually be re-appearing on the 16th anniversary of her permanent departure.

Saying that, it really is surprising how much time flies. The fact that it's already been 16 years, almost 20 years now, since the original series ended says a lot. It's kinda funny when you stop to realize just how short-lived Misty's character in the overall anime actually was, and how the writers really did give her such an early permanent departure from the series when the franchise was basically in its infancy. I mean the series was only 5 years old at the time, it only feels longer because Johto dragged on with fillers for 3 years. Now that the anime has gone on so long after the original series, literally the ENTIRE series is after the OS now.

In addition to that, it's also of course now 16 years since the debut of AG and May was introduced. I still remember when May was considered the, "new pokemon girl," and now she's one of the oldest characters of the show, introduced 16 years ago and practically a classic character at this point. If you told anyone back then Ash would eventually have 8+ female companions, people would have laughed.

Well, when the dub episode finally happens, that end fight with the Ultra Beast just won't be the same without the Ash-Greninja theme blaring.

Unless they keep it in. Which I doubt.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, Panda in a Pear Tree said:

SHE’S RECIPROCATING

Reminds me of that small art in her concept sketch, with her tearfully reading a shojo manga. Maybe she dreamt of recieving romantic lines (or whatever you want to call Brock's words) like those. I head she's basically a female version of Brock, so they're a good match.

Sun/Moon managed to breathe new life into Misty/Brock, in particular Misty. Now that Togepi is gone it's amazing how Misty feels more lively and active again like she did in the Kanto season.

Not seeing Misty lug around a baby pokemon in her arms for 200 episodes straight is something. Johto Misty was such a drag compared to her Kanto/Orange or now her SM self. Even in her AG cameos she wasn't much different.

Well keep in mind Sun/Moon's writing style has every character cheery/happy most of the time, it's the same reason SM Ash isn't like Kanto Ash either despite him being more carefree and younger again. Yeah Misty doesn't have a temper anymore but she still feels more "lively and energetic."

It's a lot better than she's been prior to Johto at least. Brock is more or less the same, but again feels better than how stale he got during the DP era especially.

Pinhead McThunderThighs looks horrible in 3D, but at least it's accurate to his original movie proportions... which, from what I remember, was still Pinhead McThunderThighs, especially since it was released in the days when Mewtwo still looked like a freakish mutant with a big head.

Admittedly I'd probably be more excited by this if I weren't still so completely jaded by the last Mewtwo movie, and that the same cinematic genius of a director is being allowed anywhere near the character after it.

1 hour ago, Spin Attaxx said:

Pinhead McThunderThighs looks horrible in 3D, but at least it's accurate to his original movie proportions... which, from what I remember, was still Pinhead McThunderThighs, especially since it was released in the days when Mewtwo still looked like a freakish mutant with a big head.

It's not. In the original movie his proportions are fairly accurate to how he looks in the game artwork:
iXdxCOR.jpg

te0g19g.png

khB2Kpe.png

I dunno; even then, his head and thighs don't seem too right in size, plus he's always standing like he's got invisible crazy-inch stilettos on compared to the game's art. Which I should mention is from FireRed/LeafGreen, and his art and sprites from before then (i.e. around when the First Movie would've been made and released) have radically different, more stockier proportions from what the movie has, even accounting for Red and Green's overall weirdness: 

Spoiler

9NrJMMH.png

lFvMn1d.png

DqPmOh9.png

IItiizT.png

Ive very much enjoyed the S/M anime which took me by surprise because after Jotho everything (with the exception of the movies)  bored me and really lost my intrest, but there is a lot of spark and heart into S/M, it brings back nostalgic characters but also brings new things in the table, tackling the issue of death and loss, rocky relationships between parent and child, its a shame its getting a lot of hate because people dont like the art style or because Ash isn't too serious anymore. (honestly I found him rather generic in X/y)

I am looking forward to the new Pokemon movie, 3D is not my preference but I am a huge Mewtwo  fan and I be in Japan with my friends during the time it be playing in Theaters over there. Were going to see it on the big screen. I might not be good in Japanese but I know the first movie by heart so It wont be too hard for me to understand whats going on. Besides I cant let the chance go by.