Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

13 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

*looks at misty*** 

Misty battled when she was a main character? You mean the grand total of 10-12 battles she had out of a 275 episode run? I mean I'm excluding Psyduck's stuff here that barely counts.

And even though Misty captured a lot of pokemon, more than half her pokemon were barely ever used or completely pointless like Horsea, Goldeen, Togepi (for battles), Starmie (dumped early), etc.

Misty isn't an example people want to use when talking about a  "female battler and trainer,"  especially while she was a main character. Besides that Misty was also pretty lackluster at battling till she returned to her Gym too. I'd arguably say Misty's battles are the worst of the series of all the female companions, and I'm not even counting how the animation improved as the show went on either, just her actual battles.

I went from being excited for having a true tomboy girl to being disappointed there's just no girl period whatsoever. Oh well

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I went from being excited for having a true tomboy girl to being disappointed there's just no girl period whatsoever. Oh well

This is what the fans deserve after their antics. After a lot of people disliked Iris, the role for the female companion was severely reduced to waifu love interest (Serena), or 3 SM girls all with limited screentime, and two more female characters who don't really battle or have only 1 real pokemon (Lillie and Mallow). And this is besides Iris' role being reduced from Dawn before that.

So instead of reducing the female companions role even more, the writers decided to do away with it entirely. I mean I know people will just be obsessed with Misty returning for the millionth time over the last 17 years, but it's not going to happen either.

I dont disagree that Misty and Iris kind of sort of weakly applied to catching and battling but like others said it was lackluster, this seems to imply the new person is a second protagonist which I think would have been really cool to have been a girl, since so many other similar shows always reduce the girl to just being the waifu, cheerleader, or bossy girl "ruining the main boy's fun" which are shitty roles for girl imo, especially since the games seem to be opening up to appealing to more girls

Now I know people are gonna knock me for having an invalid opinion having SAO as my pfp, but that doesn't mean I dont think SAO should handle girls better too.

Well in that vein. May and Dawn were second protagonists with their own goals. Serena's the worst since she barely had 3 pokemon her whole run. With a vague goal

The only thing that prevents any of Ash’s friends, male or female, from aiming for the Pokemon league is Ash himself.

Ash is never going to change his goal, and having any of his friends going for that same goal would mean having to watch every gym battle twice.

43 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

The only thing that prevents any of Ash’s friends, male or female, from aiming for the Pokemon league is Ash himself.

Ash is never going to change his goal, and having any of his friends going for that same goal would mean having to watch every gym battle twice.

True. Only on rare occasions we saw Gary and Paul battle before Ash then saw Ash battle them

18 hours ago, precita said:

Ash revisits old regions, nobody old returns. lol.

I don't see the writers going through the effort of bringing back old main characters and updating their designs. We *might* see misty/brock again in Kanto, even though it's overkill to see them again at this point. Possibly Dawn in Sinnoh due to all the merch she's getting in Japan lately. And maaaaybe Bonnie/Clemont when he goes back to Kalos.

Besides that I don't see the others appearing.

You're probably right, but it's not just Dawn, they're pushing trainers in general a lot more now. Most notable being the Masters game. So I wouldn't be too surprised if the anime followed suit, I'm not expecting it but who knows.

So we're finally getting a protagonist whose main goal is to catch 'em all?

Guess that explains why this series appears to be focusing on all regions, rather than just Galar.

Wait, am I reading this right? Ash is going to focus on filling up the Pokedex this time around? I've been waiting 20 years for this.

Speaking of 20 years...Shinji Miyazaki is leaving the series? Holy crap. Talk about the end of an era. I mean, granted, I'd care more if the dub hadn't quit using 95% of the Japanese music, but still...Miyazaki has been the composer for the anime since it began. He'll be missed.

Not that his replacement isn't going to be awesome. MHA's music is absolutely fantastic.

3 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Wait, am I reading this right? Ash is going to focus on filling up the Pokedex this time around?

No, Gō is the one catching them all.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

No, Gō is the one catching them all.

Ah. Well, it makes me happy that at least SOMEONE in the anime wants to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, precita said:

This is what the fans deserve after their antics.

The fans were the ones who wrote Iris to be an obnoxious, mean-spirited bitch who turned viewers against her within seconds of her showing up on screen?

Yeah, it's clear that they wrote her that way because everyone wanted Misty back and that was the compromise (albeit one that was a fundamental misunderstanding of why people loved Misty); but everyone wanted Shadow back after Heroes and none out of none people asked for him to come back specifically as a OW THE EDGE douche yelling PG level swear words and shooting people with handguns. At some point, you have to detach the blame away from what fans wanted towards how shit the people who tried to implement it were at their jobs.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Ah. Well, it makes me happy that at least SOMEONE in the anime wants to do it.

There's going to be almost 900 pokemon now by the time all the Galar pokemon are revealed. Nobody is going to capture 900 pokemon in the anime. This is counting all mythicals, legendaries, ultra beasts, mega evo's, and whatever other nonsense they add on top of normal pokemon. Mostly likely this "Go" character will capture 4-5 pokemon like most companions after his starter, and that's if we're lucky. At most he might only get 3-4 after the recent sagas have been limiting the main casts pokemon.

38 minutes ago, Tornado said:

The fans were the ones who wrote Iris to be an obnoxious, mean-spirited bitch who turned viewers against her within seconds of her showing up on screen?

Yeah, it's clear that they wrote her that way because everyone wanted Misty back and that was the compromise (albeit one that was a fundamental misunderstanding of why people loved Misty); but everyone wanted Shadow back after Heroes and none out of none people asked for him to come back specifically as a OW THE EDGE douche yelling PG level swear words and shooting people with handguns. At some point, you have to detach the blame away from what fans wanted towards how shit the people who tried to implement it were at their jobs.

No, the Misty fans wanted Misty in particular, and while some of them liked Iris, they just don't care about the show unless it's Misty and/or the original trio. These are the same people who refuse to watch any saga after Misty left besides the eps she cameos for (like the recent SM episodes), and that's it.

The difference between now and well...17 years ago, is it's now 17 years since Misty left, so nowadays nobody takes the rants of Misty fans seriously anymore. Back in the early 2000's when Misty just recently left, we didn't know if Misty was gone for good yet, and we also didn't know we'd continue to get new female companions every series after May. That's why the Misty fans spent the entire span of Hoenn thinking Misty would come back, there was no "set formula" for the series yet to predict. Once Dawn was revealed it pretty much clued people in she wasn't going to return, but even then on forums all throughout 2010 and beyond I would still see Misty fans ranting about how she had to return.

Some of the more delusional ones used to go around claiming the anime would be canceled unless she returned, and this was 15+ years ago in the early 2000's when the animes ratings were still high. As I said, the best part of it being a whopping 17 years after the end of the Johto era or Misty leaving, is nobody needs to take these people seriously anymore. Millions of gens of kids have grown up watching all the other sagas since, and all the young fans on twitter/tumblr I see nowadays are people who grew up with DP as their first series, and they basically don't care about Misty much because Dawn was their first Pokemon girl.

The "passage of time" basically made this people irrelevant. Not saying they're all like this, many Misty and/or original trio fans like the other female characters or sagas, but I'm particularly talking about the more obsessive ones.

Basically I stand by my disappointment at "Go" and I don't consider him looking girly as a compromise for what could have been a cool female protag, just find it kind of annoying like no anime's geared at kids can have cool female protagonists unless it's like an all girl cast.

Now with that all being said, I'm going to wait to hear more about the premise and some of the plot points before deciding if I'll give it a shot or not

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

That doesn't seem to be a response to my post.

He comes by every now and then to go on Misty tangents, I don't get it either.

Anyway there's still a lot we don't know about this new Saga, maybe there's more recurring characters, specifically the Galar ones that will join the cast. We will know soon enough 

Honestly, I'm with the premise of this new series so I hope OLM can stick the landing. I generally enjoyed SM since it tried to do different things and while Ash is anchored to one Island, he's still able to go around and explore the others and the supporting cast get much more even feeling of development because there are times when they could either be the focus or pal around with Ash. A lot of it does blur together, but that's not exactly new for Pokemon series. I'm mostly interested in seeing old characters and Ash's old mons get their chance in the spotlight if we're getting a world tour, though I'm going to keep my expectations for that in check. It was like no time had passed when Brock and Misty showed up and were carrying on with Ash like it was the OS, so I'm really hoping we can get more of that.

I think the main thing holding back the companions from having full teams is that there's only so much time to develop 'mons, who they like to treat as characters (yes to varying degrees of success, but that goes for any character in just about any series, so...I digress).

One way they could rectify that is either rotate Ash's old mons in (perhaps switching it up on a semi regular basis or something) or keep it simple and have a consistent core three or four--either way there could still be couple slots open for him to catch new mons too. Heck I still enjoy seeing his roster grow, it'd just be cool if that was dialed down, and I think now especially that would make sense, if they really intend on Go being a second protagonist.

New episode titles for 13th to 27th October.

SM143: “Conclusion! Incineroar vs Torracat!!”

SM144: “Alola’s Strongest Z! Tapu Koko vs Pikachu!!”

SM145: “The Sun, the Moon, and Everyone’s Dreams!”

SM145 might be the last SM ep, if not maybe one more.

As for the above convo, it is only because we’ve never had any battle oriented goals for the female leads since the Contests were dropped a decade ago. The Don battle tournaments in BW were a good idea but only lasted one gen. Misty and Brock of course did very little battling in the kanto/Johto era as everyone knows.

Next saga could be a goldmine for character cameos if they do it right. And hopefully other characters than just another misty/Brock appearance. If Kaori has recovered May hasn’t appeared in 11 years, and Iris and Serena could get their first cameo. Dawn they might wait for the inevitable DP remakes, I guess.

145 definitely sounds as though it might be the last. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one last episode tying into the new series if this isn't a reboot. That might be attached to the new series, though.

The last picture amuses me, because Ash is going to leave the Alola region....just to return to it immediately in the next region, lol. We've never seen that happen before, I guess all the SM characters will get cameos immediately after they left though, because no way is Ash going to return to Alola and not visit the school and see Lillie/Mallow/Lana/Kiawe/Sophocles again.

So technically other than Misty, we'll see Lillie and the others cameo probably early into the next saga. Poor Iris and Serena are the only two girls to never get cameo returns after they left.

Unlike others I don't really think we'll see much in the way of old main character cameos even with regions being revisited, since most of Ash's older companions are traveling various places. Other than the SM cast when Ash revisits Alola, we'll probably see misty/brock yet again in Kanto unless the writers feel we got our fill of them in SM.