Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

32 minutes ago, precita said:

no way is Ash going to return to Alola and not visit the school and see Lillie/Mallow/Lana/Kiawe/Sophocles again.

Ash’s classmates will probably have moved on by then, since they’d likely all have graduated alongside him.

34 minutes ago, precita said:

Unlike others I don't really think we'll see much in the way of old main character cameos even with regions being revisited, since most of Ash's older companions are traveling various places. Other than the SM cast when Ash revisits Alola, we'll probably see misty/brock yet again in Kanto unless the writers feel we got our fill of them in SM.

Not all or them. Clemont was still running the Lumiose Gym when we last saw him, with Bonnie being by his side, and May left Max at home.

But other than maybe Lillie, most of them have no reason to go traveling.  They're all likely to still be there especially if their endgame are to become the trial leaders like they are in the games. Lillie could go either way if the writers follow the game path for the character, but anime Lillie has friends in Mallow/Lana unlike the game version, so she may have no reason to go traveling. We'll probably find out in the last SM episode what they plan to do with the character.

Either way I see a lot of people on pokemon forums and twitter/tumblr jumping the gun assuming this saga is going to be filled with generous cameos of all old main characters when Ash revisits old regions. And while I think we may see a few old characters, I don't think we'll see all of them. Lest we forget Battle Frontier where Ash traveled through all of Kanto again and there were like 3 locations revisited (Pewter Gym, Mt. Moon, etc), while virtually no other Season 1 references or characters showed up.

2 minutes ago, precita said:

They're all likely to still be there especially if their endgame are to become the trial leaders like they are in the games.

Trial captains aren’t a thing in the anime universe.

So now that it's ending in less than a month. Do yall think SM was the big game changer the anime needed when it was first shown off?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

So now that it's ending in less than a month. Do yall think SM was the big game changer the anime needed when it was first shown off?

I was kind of ambivalent towards it at first, since XY kind of burnt me out. But overall, I actually really liked SM.

It got really slow at times and had a lot of filler, but that's nothing new for Pokemon. But when it's good, its really good and that tends to be when the characterization is at the front. 

And to top it off, they finally pulled the goddamn trigger and let Ash win a league for once.

My only real negatives is that the plot would kind of meander a bit (The entire Ultra Beast arc didn't really serve a purpose in the end) and some characters are less developed than others (Poor Mallow and Sophicles). But overall, it was a solid series. Maybe not as strong as Sinnoh's best moments, but still consistently good.

2 hours ago, Soniman said:

I think that's exactly what it was. They finally shook up the stale 20 year formula and tried something different. The biggest benefit of this was Ash, who got the personality back that has been mostly missing since, like, Johto onwards. Plus, the show was FUNNY again. IMHO, Pokemon hasn't been legitimately funny since the classic days of Ash, Misty, and Brock. A lot of people hated on the more cartoony animation and facial expressions, but I think it breathed new life and personality into the characters.

I think SM was the shakeup the anime needed, and while it doesn't need to go full-on that direction in future series, I hope it's positive aspects carry on to future series.

New characters revealed:

image.png.4da18522063771804e2e8cd6f2142bd6.png

Professor Sakuragi

image.png.dd35245da7063bac968ef088f8834080.png

Koharu

Quoting Serebii:

The Pokémon Company have revealed some new characters for the new upcoming series of the anime. The first is a professor, Professor Sakuragi who works at the Sakuragi Research Institute in Vermilion City in Kanto, which is the homebase of Ash and Go when they go on their adventures. In addition to this, his 10 year old daughter, Koharu has also been revealed. She has a Yamper and is a childhood friend of Go.

image.png.760e78fcd6655017fe158c1c5ff962f1.png

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Wait, they're straight up going back to Kanto?

Vermilion's the closest port to Pallet Town, so it would make sense to treat it as a base if Ash is going to be travelling between regions. It kind of sucks if this means we don't see much of Galar, though.

We got some voice actor info:

-Koharu is voiced by Kana Hanazawa. She previously voiced May in the ORAS animated trailer.

-Professor Sakuragi is voiced by Yūichi Nakamura. He previously voiced N in the Best Wishes series.

Perhaps they're using the multi-region set-up to draw out the length of this particular phase of the anime in order to lengthen their game development cycle and give the next generation more time in development.

...Well, it could happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

I hope Incineroar spends its post-Alola days as a permanent fixture at Ash’s house with Delia and Mimie, since Delia had a particular affinity for it as a Litten.

• Chuckle 1

Yeah, I had the same thought during the episode where she visited. Having Incineroar as Delia's overgrown housecat would be hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 2

Been watching the Sun & Moon show pretty much all day today, I'm on episode 27 now. There's something about this that I just love. I've always loved the show in general but the funny expressions and Ash's more childlike innocence is just really great, hehe.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Petrifying Panda said:

-Professor Sakuragi is voiced by Yūichi Nakamura. He previously voiced N in the Best Wishes series.

You mean THIS Yuichi Nakamura?

340?cb=20130130212517

• Promotion 1

That entire episode was incredible from beginning to end. Utterly fantastic finale 

tumblr_pzo77xdopW1y4vk3ro2_540.gifv

tumblr_pzo77xdopW1y4vk3ro3_540.gifv

tumblr_pzo77xdopW1y4vk3ro4_540.gifv

tumblr_pzo77xdopW1y4vk3ro7_r2_500.gifv

ABSOLUTELY FLOORED

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember back in 2016 when people thought SM would be worse than BW? Lol, those posts didn’t age well.

Overall though SM got really good in the second half of the series due to a lot of development for the main cast and their Pokémon. I wish Ash’s design was same as his old one and in the next saga they tweaked it a bit but overall it was a fun season.

It’s kind of ironic though how despite misty/Brock getting 4 eps in SM, outside the Mega evo ep their cameos are probably the most forgettable thing of the entire saga. Weird since Misty especially hadn’t appeared in over 12 years.

I remember when everyone called the new art style lazy.

Imagine calling the most expressive animation to come out of this series since the original series lazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair everything between Johto and pre-XY animation wise has aged terribly. Kanto’s hand drawn animation still holds up, and XY and SM both got huge production value jumps for their different styles.

I actually went back to rewatch some DP eps after not seeing them for a few years and was honestly a bit surprised with how dated the animation looked because in my mind I didn’t remember them that way. Iwane’s eps still look good but a large chunk of DP especially the first half is shoddily animated. Granted these eps aired in 2007-2009 so we’re speaking over a decade ago now. Characters moved like stick figures and were off model all the time.