King Frosty

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

Looks like US dub premieres are moving to Netflix starting June 12, with new eps every quarter. Sakuragi will be called Professor Cerise and Go will be called Goh. (lol) 

Honestly really awesome news, as the anime is kinda the perfect binging show to me. Gonna have to finish Sun and Moon before then. (It'd be friggin' sweet if the June Direct hit that same week.)

I'm curious if they'll consider giving it a dual-audio track like they did with the Mewtwo remake (though I've read even that release has issues with the subtitles being based on the dub and not the original Japanese, and most of the music was still changed on the JP audio), since this is also the first time it's premiering on Netflix and not after a season is over like what happened with the previous series. I'm personally happy about this either way, Pokémon anime is primarily a mindless and stress-free thing for me that I don't mind just having it dubbed (outside of times I have to listen to bizarre casting like Lillie's dub voice lol).

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I'm curious if they'll consider giving it a dual-audio track like they did with the Mewtwo remake (though I've read even that release has issues with the subtitles being based on the dub and not the original Japanese, and most of the music was still changed on the JP audio), since this is also the first time it's premiering on Netflix and not after a season is over like what happened with the previous series. I'm personally happy about this either way, Pokémon anime is primarily a mindless and stress-free thing for me that I don't mind just having it dubbed (outside of times I have to listen to bizarre casting like Lillie's dub voice lol).

The dubisms that MSBE’s subtitles had boiled down to a mixture of wanting to sneak in iconic lines from the original dub that dub fans would be attached to, and censorship (Mewtwo asking if he was created by nature rather than God, Raymond’s “OH MY GOD” being unsubbed).

This series wouldn’t have the former problem with potential a Japanese sub track since it’s not a remake of an existing dub, not to mention the dub scripts usually tend to remain as faithful as possible these days.

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

Glad I'm not the only who felt her voice was weird. 

Yeah, Lillie's voice was... Kinda odd. I don't think it's a bad voice, it just doesn't really fit her IMO.

On the subject of voice actors:

We got Ray Chase as the Professor! He plays Noctis in Final Fantasy XV. Xeno Robinson plays Goh, and he plays Hawks in My Hero Academia (meaning both his JP and ENG actors are from MHA, hehe).

I'm really hyped for this show! I'm considering watching the sub first though, just to catch up so I can avoid spoilers.

I really dig Goh's dub voice. About how I expected it to sound.

I am amused at how Ray Chase is congratulating Sarah for continuing to play Ash in this new series. That's like congratulating the sun for rising. I think she's pretty much staying put unless she decides to quit.

Meanwhile, the UK is still screwed over. Not only do we get it later, but also not in batch additions and not on Netflix.

I did watch and enjoy the first few episodes of this subbed, so I'm expecting good things for the rest of it.

So how come the dubs keep changing the bgm, anyway? :( That's really disappointing. I remember when the movies kept the original soundtracks.

22 hours ago, Mega said:

So how come the dubs keep changing the bgm, anyway? :( That's really disappointing. I remember when the movies kept the original soundtracks.

I don't know, maybe it's to be consistent with how 4kids did it?

Even then, TPCi would still need to licence the Japanese music for international dubs so I guess it was cheaper to just make a separate ost that can be used outside of Japan.

5 hours ago, BlueSpeedsterYT said:

I don't know, maybe it's to be consistent with how 4kids did it?

TPCi kept the Japanese soundtrack throughout mid-DP all the way up to the end of BW, and kept the soundtracks to movies 9 through 16. Even 4kids themselves used parts of the Japanese soundtrack from Kanto to mid-Johto, and kept the entire soundtracks to movies 4 through 8.

Any semblance of consistency flew out the window quite a long time ago.

13 hours ago, Big Panda said:

TPCi kept the Japanese soundtrack throughout mid-DP all the way up to the end of BW, and kept the soundtracks to movies 9 through 16. Even 4kids themselves used parts of the Japanese soundtrack from Kanto to mid-Johto, and kept the entire soundtracks to movies 4 through 8.

Any semblance of consistency flew out the window quite a long time ago.

Oh, didn't actually know about that. Thanks for making me be more dumb.

Journeys just premiered in Canada, so it's information time! First, opening:

Pretty nice, IMO, but kinda short.

Secondly, VA/name confirmation! Professor Cerise's daughter will be called Chloe and Cherami Leigh will be playing her! (You might know her from various projects, including as Minako/Sailor Venus in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, Natsumi Hinata in Sgt. Frog, Biyomon/Himekawa in the Digimon Adventure tri. films, and even Kris in Pokemon Masters!)

Also, from the credits (as well as gleaned from previous information), we've learned that this particular season will utilize both the classic NY talent pool as well as LA VAs, greatly increasing the potential casting options and even bringing voices who've since moved to LA back on to the show. (For instance, Megan Hollingshead, original dub voice of Nurse Joy among other roles in earlier seasons, has been confirmed by the credits as an additional voice!)

Last but not least, it seems like the little eyecatch games from the Japanese show will remain as-is in Journeys:

Super excited to watch this next month. 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:02 PM, Disk Warrior CC14 said:

Journeys just premiered in Canada, so it's information time! First, opening:

Pretty nice, IMO, but kinda short.

Secondly, VA/name confirmation! Professor Cerise's daughter will be called Chloe and Cherami Leigh will be playing her! (You might know her from various projects, including as Minako/Sailor Venus in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, Natsumi Hinata in Sgt. Frog, Biyomon/Himekawa in the Digimon Adventure tri. films, and even Kris in Pokemon Masters!)

Intro was ok. For the VA however I was kind of surprised that the same actress who voices Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail, and various One Piece characters in the Funimation dub, has a major voice role in the Pokemon anime, voicing Chloe. Also for the UK fans, the first 4 episodes will air on POP in the UK as a "sneak peak" on May 25th, with the full series airing on said channel later on in the year.

Oooh, this means we might be able to have Rachel Lillis or Veronica Taylor doing voices, too! I'd love to have Megan back as Joy and Jenny, but considering PUSA seems to have little care about voice actors being able to reprise their roles, I'm sure it won't happen.