King Frosty

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

I tried to watch some episodes of Pokémon Journeys: The Series, but I just can not get into it. It isn't bad, like all the other anime it is a decent show, but man, this is the first anime from Pokémon that really has no clear direction. It is half nostalgia bait, half standalone series, half Original Series - since this main location takes place in Kanto -, and it also tries a bit to be a Sword and Shield anime. I'm also mixed on Ash's new companion, Goh. He isn't unlikable or anything like that, but he is a bit too much of a Gary-Stu and a lot of his development takes place off-screen, which is not a good way to show the growth of your character. 

The earlier episodes were a bit weak and random (I think the writers themselves didn't know what they wanted this saga to be yet), but the more recent episodes have been better. Go's still going to capture wild pokemon in almost every ep, but he has a bit more of a goal when the "Project Mew" arc started.

The thing about Ash is it feels like he's on an all-star run this time around, but his Pokemon don't get any focus in fillers like all past sagas did so you only see his Pokemon in big battles now.  It's kind of strange since Ash has all-shill pokemon this saga and you'd think they'd promote them a bit more. If you told me 10 years ago Ash would have a Dragonite, Lucario, Gengar, etc...I would have laughed. Would sound like fanfiction.

Also the writers really are bringing back old characters more frequently now. I think Misty/Brock's appearance back in SM was a "test" to see how fans reacted to old main characters appearing again, and it worked, so now we're seeing it with everyone else. We already saw the Alola cast again, Iris, Gary and now Dawn, (and then for other notable game Gym leader/Elite 4 characters we've seen Lance, Korrina, Chuck, Volkner, and Cynthia is likely appearing soon, etc) and we'll probably see more old main characters appear after.

Sure there's still the usual bland fillers from time to time but every saga suffers from those, so it's par the course for anyone who watches the anime.

I heard a rumor that Sabrina will come back for one episode as well, but she is now the opposite of her old character: more happy and smiling. She will also bring back Ash's Haunter for this one episode.  

Yeah I hope she appears.

Anyway the first part of Dawn's cameo aired today. It was a nice intro ep but they should have aired both parts together. Dawn doesn't appear until over 10 minutes into the episode, so if you wanted to see her right away you might be a bit disappointed. I noticed they purposely tried to parallel Ash/Go's dynamic with Dawn/Koharu, and that was nice.

The set-up is mostly for the next episode though. Interesting they actually showed Dawn's mother too.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:00 AM, Tomboyish Mermaid said:

I tried to watch some episodes of Pokémon Journeys: The Series, but I just can not get into it. It isn't bad, like all the other anime it is a decent show, but man, this is the first anime from Pokémon that really has no clear direction. It is half nostalgia bait, half standalone series, half Original Series - since this main location takes place in Kanto -, and it also tries a bit to be a Sword and Shield anime. I'm also mixed on Ash's new companion, Goh. He isn't unlikable or anything like that, but he is a bit too much of a Gary-Stu and a lot of his development takes place off-screen, which is not a good way to show the growth of your character. 

I mean, it kinda does. Ash is battling as many trainers as possible to improve his ranking so he can take on Leon, and Goh is trying to catch every Pokemon. Honestly, I feel this series has more direction than Sun/Moon did.

On 12/19/2012 at 9:17 PM, Soniman said:

I watched a good chunk of episodes of Sinnoh back when they were new, and compared to Johto it doesn't hold a damn candle.

I basically see the Sinnoh seasons as the huge turd mountain I will have to climb before getting to the much praised Best Wishes.

Looking through old posts in this thread from 2012, man some posts have not aged well. Kind of ironic since Soniman's favorite saga is now DP. lol @Soniman

Just goes to show how opinions change over time.

32 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Holy fuck that Mallow episode of Sun and Moon hit me like a truck, I didn’t expect all those feels. Jesus I actually cried a little. 

Was that the Shaymin one? I thought that was really well done even with the dub.

Yep. They even put in some original music for that moment to further add emotion to when she meets her, instead of recycling one of the only 3 tracks they play every episode in the dub lol