Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Weird. With the amount of "OMIGERD EVERYTHING BOUT POKEMON AFTER JOHTO SUX BECUZ MISTY ISN'T HEER/ASH IZ SO *INSERT SOME TYPE OF INSULT*/YARBLEYARBLEYARBLE" I see on Youtube, I always got the impression that people only like everything up to Hoenn or something.

With Johto, it was the filler that killed it.

Watching it as a kid, I remember just thinking to myself, week after week, after week, after week, after week, after effing week, "are they at [insert city here] yet...?" It probably would've been a whole lot better if the anime's creatives didn't ditch the conclusion if the GS Ball arc in favour of a movie that has no baring on the main show.

Sinnoh suffered from that a little bit too, but at least they had some interesting character arcs to make up for it, plus Dawn's contests helped to space things out a bit more. Plus they still used the main Dialga and Palkia plotline even though they where still using them in a whole trilogy of movies that, again, had no influence on the main show.

With Unova, it didn't help that they completely ignored the Team Plasma stuff until after Ash competed in the Unova League (which the unfortunate cancellation of that two-parter may have contributed to, though I still think it was dumb of them to not reinsert it anywhere even though they said they would).

Dialga and palkia were so downplayed though. The focus was more on Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit. Which in all honesty was great. As for Johto. It draged on for me in various spots. After Goldenrod to Ecrutek. Then Eurktek to Olivine. The whirl islands arc got me back in to finish Johto though

Even though Whirl Islands was just filler, because we needed more of it. ahahahaaah, AHHAHHAHA. All of those wasted Saturday Mornings, I'll never get them back.

There are legit reasons to personally prefer OS, and that's coming from someone who doesn't.

The comedy and even entire episode premises were more "out there" and (generally) more fun than what we get these days, Team Rocket was silly but didn't really feel too shoehorned in most of the time (lookin' at you Sinnoh and Kalos) and back then there was the occasional exploration of their backstories, and while there were a lot more inconsistencies with the games back then it doesn't really bother me even in retrospect. Well, aside from the genuine problem of inconsistent type advantages--people talk about electricity hurting ground at times, but I'm much more concerned with normal attacks hitting ghosts!

Basically, I wouldn't mind seeing more influence from the Kanto era's writing (just, not the gym 'battles', please), even if I sorta lean more towards the later years.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, Id say Johto lightened up on the filler when they got to Ecruteak City. Because after that it was story arc central. There was the stuff with Suicine and Esuine, the Whirl Islands (with the Whirl Cup AND Lugia Arcs) then the Lake of Rage/Mahogany Town stuff, then Dragon's Den/Blackthorn City, and the well done Larvitar subplot and finally the Pokemon League which ended on a really good note.

So yeah, while Johto had a lot of filler, at least the last 25% of it was mostly free of it!

Oh dear god. Do not get me started on the Whirl Islands arc. Do not.

So...much...trolling...

The main thing about Johto (aside from the league episodes I guess)  I remember was that episode where Ash was turned into a Pikachu. :P

The Whirl Island gave Misty something to do. Plus I loved the Whirl cup and the Luigia arc.

Oh dear god. Do not get me started on the Whirl Islands arc. Do not.

So...much...trolling...

At least it's not filler! To be honest though I kinda disliked the Whirl Cup tournament thngy since it was meant to show Misty in a good light and it didnt...at all (she beat Ash through Psyduck ex Machnia instead of being a legitimately better trainer and then lost to Water!Tobias)

At least it's not filler! To be honest though I kinda disliked the Whirl Cup tournament thngy since it was meant to show Misty in a good light and it didnt...at all (she beat Ash through Psyduck ex Machnia instead of being a legitimately better trainer and then lost to Water!Tobias)

Actually, yeah, it kinda was.

Considering I was just willing Ash to get more badges, specially considering how long it was taking him beforehand, pulling this random tournament out of nowhere just felt like such a dick move to me.

I don't mind filler like that when it's, say, to bridge a gap between two series. Like the Orange Islands arc, I actually really liked it, it had some fun episodes and it was a nice little distraction to keep our attention until Gold and Silver finally came out. But the Whirl Cup on the other hand, they pulled this RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A FREAKIN' ARC. An arc that should've just been "meets Jasmine and her sick Ampharos in Olivine, goes to Cianwood to get the medicine, fights Chuck and wins another badge while they're at it, goes back to Olivine, cures Ampharos and battles Jasmine", like in the game. Seriously I would've been satisfied if they where just sidetracked by the Lugia stuff alone, but this whole freaking tournament just felt so ass-pulled.

To be fair, Id say Johto lightened up on the filler when they got to Ecruteak City. Because after that it was story arc central. There was the stuff with Suicine and Esuine, the Whirl Islands (with the Whirl Cup AND Lugia Arcs) then the Lake of Rage/Mahogany Town stuff, then Dragon's Den/Blackthorn City, and the well done Larvitar subplot and finally the Pokemon League which ended on a really good note.

So yeah, while Johto had a lot of filler, at least the last 25% of it was mostly free of it!

The problem is, most people had dropped the show by then because of all the filler and didn't get to see the later stuff. :P

The problem is, most people had dropped the show by then because of all the filler and didn't get to see the later stuff. tongue.png

That was their way of weeding out the weak and leaving only those with strong will, obviously

• Thumbs Up 2

I would have liked Whirl Islands a lot more if it was focused mainly on Misty, I mean it was to an extent, but an actual character arc for that point would have been nice. Especially since she was already losing plot relevance as it was.

That was their way of weeding out the weak and leaving only those with strong will, obviously

I was a 9-10 year old boy with nothing to do on Saturday mornings :V

Another problem I had with Johto was how the conclusion felt a bit rushed.

I mean we had Ash losing epically in at the Silver Conference, return to Kanto and say goodbye to Misty and Brock all take place in a single episode. Followed by an incredibly pointless "Ash and Pikachu sailing to Hoenn and taking a pit stop to have another misadventure" episode.

You see what they could've done there instead? Throw out the plot of that last episode and just space out the main conclusion so they take up those last two eps.

Now yes, I know that last episode contains one relevant development (Pikachu getting sick, setting up the plot for the first AG episode), but that could've easily been achieved without the whole side quest that was the final episode.

Another problem I had with Johto was how the conclusion felt a bit rushed.

I mean we had Ash losing epically in at the Silver Conference, return to Kanto and say goodbye to Misty and Brock all take place in a single episode.

Eh? Ash losing the confrence and Brock and Misty's goodbye took place in TWO separate episodes dude. The episode with Brock and Misty's goodbye starts right when they reach Viridian City. The first half of the episode is spent with Misty lamenting the fact that she and Ash (and Brock) have to split up finally the episode is spent comming to terms with that and the group finally parting on good terms, all saddened that they have to split up but realizing that it has to happen. 

The NEXT half of that episode is spent with Ash depressed over the fact that he's now alone and doesn't exactly know where to go next. He then sees Ho-oh (as a call back to the first episode) and realizes that Hoenn is waiting for him, he also gets the drive to move on when he see's his rival Gary already heading out from Pallet to go on another adventure. One attack by Team Rocket gets him to realize that even though he's alone, his friends will always be with him, and now with a clear he sets off to the next reigon. Id say it covers a fair amount and gives plenty of good closure to the Original Series.

That boat episode sucked though, no arguements here.

Oh here's the new preview for the next episode

I guess Fletchling does evovlve here then.

Aww shit, Fletchling taking down mr. OU himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johto was where I began to slowly lose interest in the Pokemon anime. The Lugia arc (which was pretty great btw!) were the few good episodes I watched before I got bored with it all and just stopped watching. Because of this, I never saw the League at the end nor Brock and Misty's goodbye. Don't think I missed much though, I just couldn't handle all the boring episodes before FINALLY getting to the next city and gym. XP

So I'm at an anime con and I've seen one Serena, ten Ashs, and eight Mistys.

I'm feeling an odd amount of nostalgic 90s pride.

Probably the last time I watched the Pokemon anime before XY was Advanced Generation around when 4Kids lost the license. Back then, I was too used to the old voices (especially Ash and Brock) that it just felt weird hearing different voices in an anime I grew up in. I probably wasn't enjoying the episodes at that time, so I thought it was time to jump ship.

The Johto saga was a huge blur to me however.

As for the new episode, I wonder if Mr. OU will Brave Bird the fuck out of Hawlucha or the poor Fletchling. It'd be nice seeing that move in the anime rather than the games for a change.

Brave Bird was already seen countless times during the DP saga, speaking of which am i the only one here who prefers DP saga over OS?