Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Has Iris shown up yet? I don't like her but generally a past companion pops up in a few episodes of the next season.

2 hours ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Has Iris shown up yet? I don't like her but generally a past companion pops up in a few episodes of the next season.

lol nope! He did have her own episode where she was battling Clair and her shiny Druddigon. There was also a special episode about Cilan and Brock working together to stop a Gyarados from attacking a city. The thing that annoyed me about that episode is that even tho they spent a day together they never bothered asking for each others names.

4 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

lol nope! He did have her own episode where she was battling Clair and her shiny Druddigon. There was also a special episode about Cilan and Brock working together to stop a Gyarados from attacking a city. The thing that annoyed me about that episode is that even tho they spent a day together they never bothered asking for each others names.

not only that they both commented that they had a friend who had a pikachu as his main partner. I know that there can be 100s of trainers who have a pikachu as their main partner but if they both said that they could have mentioned Ash and then noticed they had a friend in common.

I've watched the Cian episode, I thought it was fun.

Still, it's weird that they wouldn't bring her back, regardless of her getting her own episode. Maybe she wasn't popular enough? Unless she'll pop up after the League, but I doubt it.

She and Cilan went to Johto, which is well known as the land of no return. Characters go there and never come back. May was lucky to come out of it once but then went back to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tails spin said:

She and Cilan went to Johto, which is well known as the land of no return. Characters go there and never come back. May was lucky to come out of it once but then went back to it.

With hindsight, it's surprising even Ash made it out of there :P  Seriously though, I'm more than fine with not seeing those two in XY.  I didn't mind Cilan, but Iris was insufferable as hell.

Oh Ash made it out of it before it became the land of no return. Trust me if the writers want to end Ash's story they will have him go back to Kanto and professor Oak tells him there is a rare pokemon at Mt.Silver then Ash goes there sees Ho-Oh and decides to stay there and train. Leading the show to get a new protagonist and Ash never returning.

I'll still go on record and say that Iris and Clian are still the worst travel companions Ash has had then again Best Wishes as a whole was pretty bad when you think about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I'll still go on record and say that Iris and Clian are still the worst travel companions Ash has had then again Best Wishes as a whole was pretty bad when you think about it. 

The only thing I see they did right but needs improvement is that Ash had a rotating team of 6 pokemon. but it got to the point where you wouldn't know when and who he switched until he had the pokemon show up. Leaving you to think which one did he switch it for. it would have been nice for him to have a set team of five and the sixth member be the rotating spot. Some episodes that I caught on to every once in a while I saw he either switched Snivy or his unfezant.

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

The only consistent upsides of the BW series was how improved the visuals were and Ash deciding to go above his new-Pokémon-per-region quota.  Other then that, it just wasn't likeable like previous seasons.  It's weird, since Gen 5 brought some of my personal favourites, yet I always walk away from it feeling empty.  Just proved repeating the same formula you had in the 90s doesn't strike twice always.

It's just hard for me to believe that Best Wishes actually happened. Considering how much development Ash had over the previous seasons especially Diamond and Pear it's just baffling that all his character development got washed away in one episode. It's not just Pikachu losing the Snivy(as incredibly stupid as it was) it was also him being portrayed as a complete an other moron. His third gym battle comes to mind. He only had 1 Pokemon at hand since he thought one was all he needed. He kept forgetting attract doesn't work with Pokemon of the same sex. All in all it felt like most of Ash's victories felt like asspulls. The only redeeming quality was team rocket were actually badasses but because fans complained about it they got turned back into their older selves. 

BW was essentially trying to replicate the original series. Ash having all the starter Pokemon, both his travel companions are gym leaders(well in the games Iris is), his female companions would get on his case if he did something stupid in addition to having a preference to one pokemon type and being scared of a certain pokemon type. It was the series that made me quit watching the show and wanted them to replace Ash with somebody else. Then XY happened and things got a whole lot better.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

It's just hard for me to believe that Best Wishes actually happened. Considering how much development Ash had over the previous seasons especially Diamond and Pear it's just baffling that all his character development got washed away in one episode. It's not just Pikachu losing the Snivy(as incredibly stupid as it was) it was also him being portrayed as a complete an other moron. His third gym battle comes to mind. He only had 1 Pokemon at hand since he thought one was all he needed. He kept forgetting attract doesn't work with Pokemon of the same sex. All in all it felt like most of Ash's victories felt like asspulls. The only redeeming quality was team rocket were actually badasses but because fans complained about it they got turned back into their older selves. 

BW was essentially trying to replicate the original series. Ash having all the starter Pokemon, both his travel companions are gym leaders(well in the games Iris is), his female companions would get on his case if he did something stupid in addition to having a preference to one pokemon type and being scared of a certain pokemon type. It was the series that made me quit watching the show and wanted them to replace Ash with somebody else. Then XY happened and things got a whole lot better.

I gave up after the cancelled Team Rocket/ Team Plasma sub arc. Like you said Team Rocket was very interested at the beginning  of BW then the episode after the cancelled episode they went back to their silly incompetent selves until the meloetta arc. then they returned back to themselves again. I only know of the latter events cuz occasionally I would go back to see if something changed

So anyway, the episode after

Ash and Alain's battle apparently is called "Team Flare Attacks! Zygarde at Prism Tower!", so they're probably gonna make them interrupt the battle. :V

2 minutes ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

So anyway, the episode after Ash and Alain's battle apparently is called "Team Flare Attacks! Zygarde at Prism Tower!", so they're probably gonna make them interrupt the battle. :V

Spoiler

Unless the battle was a three parter I doubt it.

one epsiode is called The Finals Ash Vs Alain

the other one is Something about Victory! Ash's decivsive match or something like that,

then its the team flare epsiode

so either Ash or Alain wins it the epsiode before.

24 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Dude spoiler!

Oh whoops, forgot. ^^;

Well, Ash'll probably lose anyways. RIP

1 minute ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Oh whoops, forgot. ^^;

Hide contents

Spoiler

At least he f***ing makes to the final battle. He should have been the runner up 2 leagues ago

1 hour ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Oh whoops, forgot. ^^;

Hide contents

Spoiler

Well on the bright side if he loses at least it's to somebody who we the audience got to know and wasn't introduced at the last minute unlike all the previous guys that beat Ash in the league. Although considering Ash has never beat Alain I'm convinced that he might actually win

• Thumbs Up 1

So, in other news, apparently the newest Pokémon film had a worse opening than the last one (which itself was the most dismal performing movie in the series). Looking at Serebii's summary... I have to agree (yeah, things like Yokai Watch and Finding Dory are doubtless factors, but I can't help feeling like audiences are starting to catch on to the fact that these films are kinda crap). Like, it seems like the best of the XY movies, but that's neither a high bar to surpass, nor does it say much for the movie itself.

Spoiler

Jarvis seems like the Iron Masked Marauder 2.0. "I WANT POWER BECAUSE I AM EVIL, I COULD PERFECT MY MEGA WAVE INVENTION AND GET RICH, BUT I WON'T BECAUSE EEEVIIIL, I COULD JUST USE MY AIRSHIP AND MEGA EVOLUTIONS TO TAKE OVER AND NOT BOTHER WITH MAGEARNA, BUT THAT'S NOT EEEEEVVILLLL ENOUGH etc." and nothing else to him besides a big fuck-off airship.

His plan also seems borked. Seriously, apparently he so-desperately needed Magearna so he could power this one laser cannon? Couldn't he just use some other means of powering it (or, as mentioned above, not bother with the laser and just use the airship and Mega Evolution army he already has)? And apparently despite wanting to take over the kingdom, he also wants to... destroy it?

Also, the climax has two (count 'em, two) Disney Deaths, one of which rips off WALL-E. Like, it sounds word-for-word the exact same. The other, meanwhile, also makes no sense: so the airship is falling and will cause major damage if it crashes, so Volcanion blows it up... and shouldn't that spread debris over a wider area, arguably doing more damage? Unless he vaporizes the thing... which I doubt is what happened.

Also, Complete Zygarde is in the film for one minute tops and none of the cast see it.

Lurking on Serebii, I saw one guy say these movies have basically become animated movie-budget fanfiction at this point. Honestly, given the last few films, I don't doubt him one bit.

4 hours ago, Spin Attaxx said:

Jarvis seems like the Iron Masked Marauder 2.0. "I WANT POWER BECAUSE I AM EVIL, I COULD PERFECT MY MEGA WAVE INVENTION AND GET RICH, BUT I WON'T BECAUSE EEEVIIIL, I COULD JUST USE MY AIRSHIP AND MEGA EVOLUTIONS TO TAKE OVER AND NOT BOTHER WITH MAGEARNA, BUT THAT'S NOT EEEEEVVILLLL ENOUGH etc." and nothing else to him besides a big fuck-off airship.

His plan also seems borked. Seriously, apparently he so-desperately needed Magearna so he could power this one laser cannon? Couldn't he just use some other means of powering it (or, as mentioned above, not bother with the laser and just use the airship and Mega Evolution army he already has)? And apparently despite wanting to take over the kingdom, he also wants to... destroy it?

Also, the climax has two (count 'em, two) Disney Deaths, one of which rips off WALL-E. Like, it sounds word-for-word the exact same. The other, meanwhile, also makes no sense: so the airship is falling and will cause major damage if it crashes, so Volcanion blows it up... and shouldn't that spread debris over a wider area, arguably doing more damage? Unless he vaporizes the thing... which I doubt is what happened.

Also, Complete Zygarde is in the film for one minute tops and none of the cast see it.

Lurking on Serebii, I saw one guy say these movies have basically become animated movie-budget fanfiction at this point. Honestly, given the last few films, I don't doubt him one bit.

And as I said as a response, that insult makes no sense when the XY films are no diffrent then the films a decade ago. Being "fanfiction" doesnt really mean anything 

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

And as I said as a response, that insult makes no sense when the XY films are no diffrent then the films a decade ago. Being "fanfiction" doesnt really mean anything 

A decade ago we got Darkrai, which is basically when the films started getting kinda "eh" 

The BW movies were around the time where the episodes themselves started going off on their own plot structure while the movies kinda dd their own thing.

I'm reminded of how 2000 took place after the 4th Orange League Badge so the timing made some sense. Then Jirachi Wish Maker aired inbetween the episodes where May and co. meet Drew, and the Slateport contest, giving the idea that the contest was a week away and so they decided to check the festival during the interim. Destiny Deoxys is at a location that the anime then took and made Drew's hometown. The charm salesman from Jirachi Wish Maker and Rise of Darkrai made an appearance in the Phione episode in DP. The movies still felt connected to the show proper as far as location, characterization, and current team lineup goes.

Aside from the first XY movie, there's doesn't seem to be as much of that interconnectivity since BW aired. It just feels isolated and charmless. Hell, this movie may be the biggest offender, going on while Ash is currently in the League.

12 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

A decade ago we got Darkrai, which is basically when the films started getting kinda "eh" 

Well yeah I'm not really talking about the quality of the movies. Just the idea that they're somehow fanfics when their not really. Their just kinda repetitive and boring and not much else. 

That said I've heard good things about the latest movie 

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

Except that the last movie seems like it was adapted from a 13 year old's "every Legendary evar" fanfic, complete with, "and then Arceus showed up from nowhere and made all da bad things go away," for the ending. Plus, the sheer number of legendaries gives the movie a bad case of Spider-Man 3 Villains's disease, and there wind up being so many featured that it's honestly hard to give a shit about any of them. And the legendaries all fight each other because... erm... And somehow having too many of them in one place causes shit to break down, because... er... Basically, I have no idea why they're fighting each other or why I should care, and the film doesn't offer much reason other than, "FIND THIS FILM COOL, DAMMIT! LOVE IT AS IT LOVES YOU!"

I'd dare say that as far as overall films go, it was the most fanfic-iest.

And two movies before that, we had a second Mewtwo pulled out of the director's bunghole because he thought it'd be better if he used a different one ("My Mewtwo is better than that other guy's Mewtwo!"), and the flimsiest, most bare-bones non-explanation for a backstory was given to it. In short, it feels like a "What if Mewtwo... was a girl?!" fic crossed with a Mewtwo vs. Genesect fic (with a cop-out "oh no-one really wins and the bad guy turns good despite the many many moral lines he'd crossed" ending) with the amount of effort shown.

Plus, we have things that contradict the games and are seemingly made up for no reason. Things like Kyurem's Black/White switching with Zekrom and Reshiram nowhere in sight, five Genesect existing when originally there was one, and Mewtwo and the Eon Pokémon Mega Evolving by themselves. Because it's not like the games said having a strong bond with the Pokémon in question was needed, right?

Point is, even if it's admittedly not entirely accurate (I can't speak for the Diancie movie because I honestly forget that thing even exists), at least some of the newer movies come pretty dang close to reading like mediocre-to-bad fanfiction written by 7-13 year olds. But whatever, that guy made the comparison to start with, so I guess if you really resent the statement that much, your time would be better spent trying to enlighten him on the matter and not me. I just came to let the topic know the film came out, was "myeh" at best, then leave and carry on as usual.

• Thumbs Up 1