Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

1: The Hoopa movie is the only time I'll agree with that argument but really who gives a shit? The movie has legendaries brawling it out with Ash commanding a faction and that's just awesome. It doesn't try to be overly melodramatic or deep, it's just a raw entertaining movie the same way a lot of cheesy summer blockbusters are. It's not trying to say anything but it doesn't need to, it entertained me far more then any post AG movie has done. 

2: I'm not really gonna argue the Genesect movie because you've held a grudge against it for years and I don't think what I say will matter. All I have to say about it is that if you want to pretend it doesn't exist go ahead because it's not canon anyway, so they can make Mewtwo a girl if they want. Mewtwo's gender isn't even  major factor in the movie and plays zero role, it's just she's a girl and that's it. 

3: The movies don't follow the rules, yes you can call that a flaw (I honestly don't care, I just see them as concessions made to make the story flow better), im not really defending that. 

4: it's just a pet peeves at best, im hardly invested in these pokemon movies, I just wanted to address that particular point. 

17 minutes ago, Soniman said:

2: I'm not really gonna argue the Genesect movie because you've held a grudge against it for years and I don't think what I say will matter. All I have to say about it is that if you want to pretend it doesn't exist go ahead because it's not canon anyway, so they can make Mewtwo a girl if they want. Mewtwo's gender isn't even  major factor in the movie and plays zero role, it's just she's a girl and that's it.

Not to drag this out any longer, but to clarify, my problem with the second Mewtwo isn't that it's feminine, but that its existence makes no sense at all given the original's past, and there's no point in it being a new Mewtwo when it borrows so heavily from the original in backstory and character arc. Also, the animé emulated the first movie by having M16's events tie in to the series, so whether or not I choose to see it (and them) as non-canon doesn't change the fact that the producers want me to see it as canon.

Well the writers have proven time and again continuity means fuck all to them so eh, I guess I'm just not surprised. 

Hey guess how many refrences XY has made to past sagas. Simply put its less then BW (THE SAGA THAT WAS A SEMI REEBOT), so that tells you all you need to know on what they think about honoring their history lmao 

Which makes him potentially winning the Kalos League here actively piss me off.

You'd think there would be proper character buildup and continuity for this milestone of Ash's journey, with references of his growth from Day 1 being reflected here. But no, this region has been horribly restricted to Kalos-only references and happenstances. Not even Pallet is being alluded to here.

Ash basically pulled a Tobias himself. He shows up to Kalos out of nowhere, goes Ace on damn near every Gym, invokes a super Pokemon to make it on par with Legendaries and Champion Pokemon with a Pokemon he hasn't had for a year, and slaughters everyone up to the Semifinal Battle.

Either every single Kalos trainer bar Alain is weak as ****, or no writer on this board gives a solitary damn about the grander scope. And that's disappointing.

2 hours ago, -Robin- said:

The BW movies were around the time where the episodes themselves started going off on their own plot structure while the movies kinda dd their own thing.

I'm reminded of how 2000 took place after the 4th Orange League Badge so the timing made some sense. Then Jirachi Wish Maker aired inbetween the episodes where May and co. meet Drew, and the Slateport contest, giving the idea that the contest was a week away and so they decided to check the festival during the interim. Destiny Deoxys is at a location that the anime then took and made Drew's hometown. The charm salesman from Jirachi Wish Maker and Rise of Darkrai made an appearance in the Phione episode in DP. The movies still felt connected to the show proper as far as location, characterization, and current team lineup goes.

Aside from the first XY movie, there's doesn't seem to be as much of that interconnectivity since BW aired. It just feels isolated and charmless. Hell, this movie may be the biggest offender, going on while Ash is currently in the League.

I think the last DP movie was shown when Ash got all his polemon from Oak while at the league 

46 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

Which makes him potentially winning the Kalos League here actively piss me off.

You'd think there would be proper character buildup and continuity for this milestone of Ash's journey, with references of his growth from Day 1 being reflected here. But no, this region has been horribly restricted to Kalos-only references and happenstances. Not even Pallet is being alluded to here.

Ash basically pulled a Tobias himself. He shows up to Kalos out of nowhere, goes Ace on damn near every Gym, invokes a super Pokemon to make it on par with Legendaries and Champion Pokemon with a Pokemon he hasn't had for a year, and slaughters everyone up to the Semifinal Battle.

Either every single Kalos trainer bar Alain is weak as ****, or no writer on this board gives a solitary damn about the grander scope. And that's disappointing.

Ok that seems like a huge stretch don't you think? At least we've seen Ash develop throughout this entire region. His bond with his Pokemon especially Greninja, how close he is with his travel companions and the fact that he comes off as an inspiration to his friends and rivals. With Tobias we knew jack shit about him, his motives, his Pokemon squat he was pretty much made because supposedly Ash vs Paul was meant to be the final battle in the league(given the set up with that rivalry it makes a lot of sense) and they didn't want Ash to be the champion or something like that. 

Granted if Ash for some reason is able to win the league at least you can see how far he's come on his Kalos journey, the wins, the loses etc. I truly get what your saying that there should of been more to it like bring back all his travel companions to show how he isn't the same goofball who was the last one who showed up to Professor Oak's lab because he overslept. The only call backs to any series besides considering to bring back his older Pokemon for the league and him mentioning Dawn's Piplup(there's probably a few more but I'm currently marathoning the series).

As for the Kalos League itself

Spoiler

Yeah I wish the battles weren't rushed but I guess it's because 1) They don't have enough time before SuMo comes out in November 2) They're focusing on Ash's main rivals; Alain, Sawyer and Tierno. Granted Alain's victories are complete curve stomps(and apparently in the latest episode his semi finals match goes by within a few seconds) least we got a episode dedicated towards Sawyer's match against Tierno. 

I've been recently watching the XY series and I'm up to episode 59. Can I ask what happened to Ash's personality? It's like they surgically removed anything not bland.

Also, his travelling companions kinda suck. Korrina should've stuck around.

19 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I've been recently watching the XY series and I'm up to episode 59. Can I ask what happened to Ash's personality? It's like they surgically removed anything not bland.

Ash is all about being the ace this region round, I'm afraid his smart alec personality is long gone. Yeah, he is probably the most boring of the main cast here.

Things after then improve slightly. Serena starts her own goal at least (even if it's more or less just a tweak of the contest arcs in previous regions, right down to Jessie being her rival). There are some decent limelight episodes, though I do think one thing XY suffers with is continuation and character arcs. Even right now we still haven't got round to Team Flare doing very much.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

A lot of people don't care for Ash personality wise this saga but I guess I don't see what the big deal is, he's still a fun/silly character who gets to have his badass moments when needed. 

And I love the XY group but, again, they're also not very popular in terms of previous groups (I've seen them preferred above Iris/Cilan and not a step farther) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Making plans on fully getting into the XY series again, which made wonder about the films.  I know the Hoopa one looks a little too over the top, but what's the general consensus for Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction?  Don't hear much talk for it, so I have know idea if it's the improvement over Legend Awakened that we deserve.

On 7/15/2016 at 3:49 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Can I just point out that Hawlucha is probably Ash's weakest pokemon in Kalos? You rarely see him win any battles, and when he does, it's usually a landslide. And why does Greninja seem like his most powerful pokemon next to either Charizard (End of BW) or Infernape (rage mode)

Reveal hidden contents

Oh good, they're finally getting to Zygarde. I guess they're using that to bridge between X/Y and Sun/Moon.

On 6/23/2016 at 3:57 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Man look how far Ash and Greninja have come it really does feel like a journey 

49 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

These are some serious Trigger/Madhouse levels of animation. the anime has come a long way indeed.

Man it really is amazing how far this show has come in terms of animation and fight scenes isn't it? This weeks episode and last week episode is one of my favorite battles in the series especially with how it ended that was beautiful. 

Same here sucks that next weeks episode is going to focus on Chespin but it does have Mairin meet the main cast also Lysander interacting with Ash so should be interesting.

43 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Guys help, I'm getting hyped for Ash vs. Alain. 

Ash is in the fucking finals, its so obvious this is an apology for BW lol

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Ash is in the fucking finals, its so obvious this is an apology for BW lol

Make him win and then maybe I'll forgive the show. Seriously that series pissed me off so much that I literally quit watching the show.

I haven't been watching the anime at all but I looked at Kuzu's post with that battle and I'm like

3PTeaXR.gif

WHAT IS THIS MADHOUSE LEVEL ANIMATION THAT WAS HYPE

Yo this makes wanna watch this League final match Ash has for the animation ALONE. Like daayum...

Somebody already uploaded the last battle incase you guys are curious. I'll put it in a spoiler tab 

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 5

That battle was one of the best if not the best in the anime by far! They've really upped the quality of the animation too which is a huge plus. I just really hope the writers don't pull a cop out on us for once and let Ash win the final!

Honesty, even is Ash doesn't win, I'd probably be satisfied.  The battles we've had recently are by far the best in the entire anime.

Spoiler

One of my favorite moments from the most recent battle was this:

ymnjen.gif

Out.  Fucking.  Skilled.

But goddamn at the Greninja vs Sceptile battle.  You never see that kind of shit in the old Pokemon with its awful stock backgrounds and shitty animation for almost everything.  This battle was extremely good.  My favorite moment was probably when Greninja used Ariel Ace and kicked Sceptile's face in; it just looked so flashy and it felt fucking powerful.  I also love how Ariel Ace is pretty much Greninja's make shit up taijutsu.

Ash vs Alain is going to be insane.  You remember how hype the semi final battle was?  This hype is different from regular hype.  This hype is in the top percentage of hypes.  The hypest hype that ever did hype.  The hypest shit if you will.

• Thumbs Up 8

Has Netflix released an explanation as to why it doesn't have all of the Indigo League series (let alone any others outside of XY) in its selection? I've looked on Google, only to find conversations dating back to 2014 about how Netflix was about to add thee rest of Indigo, plus the Orange Islands, Johto etc seasons back then.

I don't really want to have to buy the DVDs, and torrenting that many episodes seems completely impractical.

• Thumbs Up 1

With all the SM news that dropped this morning, i'm curious to see how it'll play out in the anime seeing how gym leaders are replaced by Trials, Kahunas, and Totem Pokemon, I wonder who Ash's companions will be in Alolan?

2 hours ago, CD Sanic said:

With all the SM news that dropped this morning, i'm curious to see how it'll play out in the anime seeing how gym leaders are replaced by Trials, Kahunas, and Totem Pokemon, I wonder who Ash's companions will be in Alolan?

Well, perhaps Mallow is in the alleged final starter evolution concept artwork for a reason...