Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

31 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I can never watch the dub knowing it lacks XY&Z whenever Ash-Greninja shows up, it just lacks the impact of awesome without it tbh. 

That theme is the best thing to come out if this anime in almost a decade, it's such a sin the dub axes it

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

That theme is the best thing to come out if this anime in almost a decade, it's such a sin the dub axes it

Indeed, that song alone justifies watching the original over the dub and I'm usually not one who puts down such things either.

Oh and a minor nitpick, but Greninja's voice is infinitely better, ya know actually having BARITONE and whatnot.

It's too bad that (as far as I know) Alola forms aren't transformations. It would be awesome if there were an Alola Pikachu, and Ash's Pikachu could transform into it. That'd freshen things up.

9 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I can never watch the dub knowing it lacks XY&Z whenever Ash-Greninja shows up, it just lacks the impact of awesome without it tbh. 

I heard some claims the dub staff actually considered translating the theme, but then went 'Nahhhh'.

I'm not well-versed enough in the intricacies of the anime to know if this explanation would make sense, but I've heard that there can be extra licensing costs for a dubbed product in bringing over Japanese soundtracks; I've heard it cited for recent Digimon seasons, for instance, that it was actually cheaper for the dubbers to produce their own music than to license the Japanese themes.

That's pretty much common knowledge when it comes to anime. The problem is the folks who are doing the dub are the pokemon company international and they're just being cheap. The reason why they got rid of the 4kids voice cast and got new actors was because didn't want to pay more it's just so frustrating that they would go the cheap route considering Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises ever. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's an odder complication here because XY DOES actually use music from the Japanese original, just a bare minimum, implying they actually bothered to buy the rights to it, but then didn't use it anyway.

It's been theorised in other chats as a cheap marketing method. Other international dubs usually use the English edit as a base, meaning they'll have to pay the English studio as well the Japanese one if any changes were made to the audio or content. They shove in as much of their own music, they'll have to buy licensing from them just like they had for the Japanese soundtrack.

It's a shame as TPCI started off pretty loyal with this. Some episodes of DP kept the soundtrack totally as is, lacking the silence paddings even the early 4Kids episodes had. The dialogue suffered more in that period however.

• Thumbs Up 1

Preview for the next episode 

This is going to be a long week

• Thumbs Up 5

Alright but, this is so surreal. For the longest time (in fact up until I joined here), everyone I knew just plain didn't like the anime. Talking about how Ash is a bad trainer because this that or the other thing (although most never even finished the first season), etc.

Now a lot of people are talking about it, in a positive way, and hoping Ash wins, rooting for him, praising the animation and how he's been handling battles recently, plus how awesome Ash-Greninja is...

It's just amazing. I've waited forever for the anime to be talked about this positively. I'm just really happy about all this.

• Thumbs Up 9

Of course, you got your detractors, but yea, the 180 on the opinion of the series is pretty surreal. Black & White must've really soured people's opinions.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Of course, you got your detractors, but yea, the 180 on the opinion of the series is pretty surreal. Black & White must've really soured people's opinions.

As an avid fan of the series since I was like, 5, even I didn't really like BW. I don't think I ever watched the whole series either. I liked the N arc and Dawn episodes though, and there were some other good or funny parts scattered throughout, but yeah.

On another topic, hypothetically if we were to have 3 partners for Ash in Alola, who would they be? If Serena doesn't follow him, I think the Alola girl trainer and Lillie would be good. I feel like Lillie wouldn't like Ash at first due to her apparent dislike of Pokemon battles, but would warm up to him after seeing how he genuinely loves each and every Pokemon he has. I mean, personally, I'd love to see that.

Problem is I can't think of a male character to follow him. I don't like the electric trial guy... The Fire Trial guy would be cool, maybe? But hey, what with all the changes and surprises they've done so far, maybe they'd have the male Alola trainer follow him? This is all just conjecture, of course, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks. Since like, the Lillie thing would work even if she weren't a travel buddy, for example.

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I assure you most of the hate that Black and White got were from people who stopped watching the anime a long time ago and only hated it due to word of mouth and seeing a few clips. Besides that it's just how jarring how Ash went from being well developed, a mentor to both May and Dawn and a competent trainer to whatever this shit was

Like why did they think reverting him back to how he was in season 1 was a good idea but yet they turned Team Rocket into badass. It also didn't help that with how story driven Gen 5 was seeing how the anime butchered it was heartbreaking to folks who still cared about the show. 

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Preview for the next episode 

This is going to be a long week

I'm so hyped for this episode, the epic showdown of Charizard vs Greninja will be now or never for Ash.

tbh, most of the people that have relapsed back into XYZ are only here to close out an age-old meme. They couldn't really give a damn about the actual quality of the saga, they just want to say "I was there when Ash got to Red's level."

3 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

tbh, most of the people that have relapsed back into XYZ are only here to close out an age-old meme. They couldn't really give a damn about the actual quality of the saga, they just want to say "I was there when Ash got to Red's level."

I disagree.

From what little I've seen of the series, I've come to genuinely enjoy the whole package. The improved animation, the interesting characters, the building-up for the Kalos League and the Zygarde arc. Ash being better than ever is just the Cherubi on top.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, -Robin- said:

Given the several testimonials from people I've seen that talked about how XY is good and the best the shows been since OS I don't think so. 

Now I'm more of a AG/DP man myself but I can see why XY reeled a lot of folks in 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yea, while I agree most people are hopping on to see Ash win, I have been reading that people do genuinely enjoy XY as a whole and have been catching up to the series. They enjoy the characters, the battles, and most of the character arcs as well. Honestly, the Anime has never been more talked about on the Internet than it has been now.

• Thumbs Up 3

From the anime getting this much buzz again and the whole Pokemon Go thing I swear this is like being 1999/2000 all over again with Pokemon being THIS relevant/talked about over the internet and/or IRL again. 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, TCB said:

From the anime getting this much buzz again and the whole Pokemon Go thing I swear this is like being 1999/2000 all over again with Pokemon being THIS relevant/talked about over the internet and/or IRL again. 

FeelsGoodMan.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way in preparation for the League finale I'm watching all prior Leagues. I'm currently at Johto and it's really funny seeing how dates Blastoise vs Charizard looks when you compare it to the God like animation we get now. It still holds plenty of sentimental value though 

The limited animation compared to nowadays is pretty jarring.

Anyway, I've been watching some choice episodes of XY that I mostly missed and the Mega Evo specials.

I'd personally like to see Ash travel without a gym leader in Sun and Moons anime, just for a twist. Maybe even all new characters. Sorry is thats random, kinda new here :D

1 hour ago, Wing said:

I'd personally like to see Ash travel without a gym leader in Sun and Moons anime, just for a twist. Maybe even all new characters. Sorry is thats random, kinda new here :D

Well the new games are looking to do away with the traditional Gym Leader formula so you may be in luck about that if it comes to pass.