Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

This is where you can discuss Anime or Manga. It can range from your favorites to the newest episodes in the anime to the latest chapters in the manga to the movie if it has one. So now I will start.

My first Manga was DearS and I was hooked. I read the whole thing from front to back and was angry when it ended. I did see some DBZ and Pokemon but it wasn't too great for it to be my favorite. I then moved on the Naruto and started reading it until recently it got aired in the US and allot of new people rushed in and flooded it with fandom. It didn't stop there, to make it worse the Anime went to some crazy fillers which ranged to a huge amount of episodes that were noncannon so I was forced to read only the Manga. I then moved onto Bleach and started reading the Manga until I finally got to the most recent chapters. I haven't watched the Anime for Bleach yet, but I will start watching it once I get the chance.

My first anime was Pokémon (awww yeaaaah), and then Digimon (which despite everyone starting to hate it after the fad died is actually awesome). I guess you could say my first core anime was Naruto though, although I don't really like it anymore, I jumped onto the Naruto bandwagon and then slowly slipped off to watch it from afar.

As for manga, my first was DragonBall, which I collected the whole series of, then when I got to DBZ I started to get bored... so I stopped. (DB>DBZ and manga of both>anime of either IMO)

Stuff I love at the moment:

- Death Note

- FullMetal Alchemist

- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

- All game related manga (Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Pokémon, looking forward to reading Tales of Symphonia also)

- Tales anime

- Bomberman Jetters

Keep in mind I haven't finished Death Note, FMA, Haruhi or Pokémon yet, so I'd appreciate if any spoilers for them were, y'know, spoilered xD

Also feel like getting into One Piece since I don't know how I've avoided it so long, and Gurren Lagann because everyone says it's (really) good.

Edited by SuperLink

My favorites tend to be comedies, though I like some actiony stuff too. Ironically, my favorite anime isn't my favorite genre of anime.

But I shall list some of my favorites, along with some exposition as to why they are considered thus.

Gurren Lagann

Oh yes. Where do I begin with this one? Called "the anti-Evangelion" in fan circles for a reason, Gurren Lagann is optimistic, passionate, and filled with enough determination to pierce the heavens. I suppose the theme of the show could be summed up as "Humans are great, and can pretty much do anything." Which in a genre where more depressing outlooks are quite common, is a refreshingly bright concept to take.

I won't even begin to spoil the plot of this series, but it has some incredibly likable characters(For such a large cast, I found myself liking just about everyone), catchy music, and a monumental storyline that casts logic aside to fully embody the rule of cool. Currently, this is my favorite anime.

Detective Conan/Case Closed

I always enjoy a good mystery, and while the show's cases are usually episodic in nature, there've been many incredibly clever crimes met with equally clever crime-solving. It's fun to try to figure out how the crimes were comitted and by whom before the show reveals it.

Of course, the characters make this series. Kogorou Mouri/Richard Moore is my personal favorite from this series, and one of my favorite fictional characters overall. His showboating, bombastic nature balanced out by his brief, occasional moments of clarity and badassery make the man a genuinely lovable doofus. The rest of the cast is also quite strong, and make a good lot of characters.

Lupin III (TV series, movies, etc.)

One of the longest anime franchises(Debuted in the 70s, and still continuing today in the form of TV specials and movies), Lupin III is a classic action comedy. With big heists, exciting chases, amusing dialog, and a dynamic main cast, it didn't take long for me to be hooked. While all five regulars are appealing characters, my personal favorite is Inspector Zenigata. His comical antics just make the show for me.

Excel Saga

A secret organization is trying to take over the world, by first focusing on taking over a city. Take that concept, add an equally ludicrous government branch to contest them, throw in a subplot about an immigrant worker's afterlife battles against his nemesis, and even get the director and original author involved, and you have a show that simply forgoes even trying to take itself seriously, though it does indeed entertain. Excel Saga is zany, filled with parodies, and heavy on the slapstick. This brand of comedy may not be for everyone, but I found it absolutely brilliant.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

It's sort of like Excel Saga, with the added element of dimensio-hopping. Our two main characters continuously go to alternate versions of their hometown, each themed after various gimmicks(RPGs, sci-fi movies, American cinema, etc.), and the elements of said worlds are appropriately parodied.

Sonic X

Oh, stop booing already! Bad dub, superfluous characters, and stupid concepts aside, the show had a lot of good points. Dr. Eggman, already developed as a sympathetic character in the games, is expanded even further in the anime. He's given tons of character development, and truly humanized to a new level. And for an Eggman fan like me, that's really great. Also, it spawned the comic Sonic X, which I liked even more than the anime- El Gran Gordo was simply awesome.

The OVA gets an honorable mention for giving Eggman a love interest.

I like plenty of other anime, and collect quite a lot of it, but these were ones I particularly felt like mentioning. For my whole collection... I'll just list it out of convenience, without the extended descriptions.

* - I own the complete series

** - I own all the DVDs currently released.

Obviously, these annotations won't be needed on movies.

TV Series

Ah! My Goddess!*

Ah! My Goddess! - Flights of Fancy*

Ai Yori Aoshi*

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi*

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV*

Azumanga Daioh*

Chobits*

Comic Party*

Comic Party Revolution*

Cowboy Bebop*

Detective Conan** (Localized as "Case Closed." Series is ongoing, but I have all the currently-released DVDs)

Divergence Eve*

Excel Saga*

Fruits Basket*

Full Metal Panic!*

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu*

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid*

Fullmetal Alchemist*

Galaxy Angel*

Galaxy Angel A*

Galaxy Angel Z*

Galaxy Railways*

Green Green*

Gurren Lagann*

Happy Lesson*

Happy Lesson Advance* (Bootleg DVD. Note, however, that this series was never given an official localization. If it ever does get one, I promise to buy the official DVD.)

Hare+Guu

His and Her Circumstances*

Irresponsible Captain Tylor*

Lost Universe*

Love Hina*

Lucky Star

Lupin III* (Bootleg boxset. No official release of the first series)

Lupin III Part 2 (DVDs were released, these are mostly random episodes with no real attempt at releasing ordered volumes as most anime conventionally is.)

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi*

Mahoromatic*

Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful*

Maison Ikkoku

Mars Daybreak*

Martian Successor Nadesico*

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya*

Miami Guns*

Midori Days*

Misaki Chronicles*

Mouse*

Negima*

Negima!?

Neon Genesis Evangelion*

Outlaw Star*

Please Teacher!*

Ranma 1/2*

School Rumble*

School Rumble 2nd Semester

Shin-chan

Tenchi in Tokyo*

Tenchi Muyo! GXP*

Tenchi Universe*

Trigun*

Urusei Yatsura

Vision of Escaflowne*

Yu Yu Hakusho

OVA

Ah! My Goddess!*

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku*

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku DASH!*

Cosplay Complex*

Dragon Half*

FLCL*

Galaxy Angel S*

Happy Lesson OVA*

Love Hina Again*

My Santa*

Otaku no Video*

Puni Puni Poemy*

Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki*

Movies

Ah! My Goddess! - The Movie

Castle in the Sky

Detective Conan(Case Closed) - The Fourteenth Target

Detective Conan(Case Closed) - The Time Bombed Skyscraper

Fullmetal Alchemist - The Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa

Howl's Moving Castle

Love Hina Christmas Movie

Love Hina Spring Movie

Lupin III - Castle of Cagliostro

Lupin III - Columbus Files

Lupin III - Crisis in Tokyo

Lupin III - Dead of Alive

Lupin III - Farewell Nostradamus

Lupin III - Island of Assassins

Mahoromatic: Summer Special

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Tenchi Forever

Tenchi Muyo: Daughter of Darkness

Tenchi Muyo in Love

Whisper of the Heart

I'm a pretty big collector, I suppose.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

New trailer of the new FMA that will premiere in April. Also, I highly recommend that you guys watch Tora Dora and Soul Eater. Both fantastic series that will be wrapping up in the next few weeks.

While there's a bunch of animes that are on my favorites list, my most favorite is FMA due to it's story and character development, and I'm very much looking forward to the new series in April.

Currently, I'm finishing up Tora Dora and Soul Eater, and I've been into Keroro Gunso (Sgt Frog), and Doraemon. I'd wish they'd bring the latter over here since it's a great series and certainly has given me some laughs.

Edited by Kevin

Let's see...my first anime was (in order) Poke'mon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and after that I don't even remember. My first manga was Dragon Ball. Anime/manga that I will always and forever love and bow down to are:

Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden

Bleach

InuYasha

Fullmetal Alchemist

Poke'mon

Digimon

Sonic X(duh)

Dragon Ball

Akira

Fruits Basket

666 Satan

Death Note

Rurouni Kenshin

One Piece

Rosario Vampire

Tegami Bachi

Chobits

Ah! My Goddess

Shaman King

Beyblade

Orphen

Hayao Miyazaki's Movies

and a million others. :D I am a total anime and manga freak. I even have several websites that I made that are all about anime. (if you wanna know what they are pm me) My favs are....well I have lots of favs, but my FAV favs are Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden, Sonic X, Fullmetal Alchemist, InuYasha, Bleach, Death Note, and Poke'mon. The sad(but awesome) thing is that most of the songs on my iPod are anime songs. I am addicted to "Ai, Just on my Love" from Orphen. I don't know why, but it's just awesome. People think I'm weird cuz I constantly listen to Japanese music, but what do they expect? ...I think i'm rambling again. Okay, well I'll shut up now. Bai-bai. :)

Dear El Gran Gordo:

JEEZ.

Love,

Indigo

My favorite anime isn't straight on a decision like Naruto or Sonic X, I like anime if it has the following...

Action

Comedy

Drama

Romance

And of course with their own artistic overtones. Anime that have a specific art style and that are more than just a few frames per second get my respect.

The first anime which I personally ever saw on my Canadian cable TV was Sailor Moon. It was back in 1995/1996 when I was 12 years old.

I loved the toon right from the start, but I felt way too embarassed to talk much about it in public.

And there was no internet for me back then.. So yeah, you get the point. ;)

Anyways, later on in 1996/1997 I encountered Dragon Ball. I saw both the original one with the preteen Goku and the "Z" one with the adult Goku. For some reason I liked the original one better. Maybe it's because of that funny talking pig character who had the power to magically morph into anybody he met...

Bah, I don't know. I just didn't enjoy the "Z" part. :P

I've never gotten into stuff such as Pokemon or Digimon because it appeared way too late and I had already grown attached too lots of other things which came previously.

Perhaps if I was born in the 1990s instead of being born in the 1980s then I would've had an opportunity to get into that stuff. But I emerged in a different "era" and became absorbed in too many other greater things...

Such as Sonic!

(Yes, I love Sonic X, even though I've only seen a few measly episodes of it so far. I definitely plan to see more episodes of it in the near future.)

Edited by DarkJedi188

Does the Sonic Movie count? If so, it is my favorite anime of all time forever.

The only anime I managed to get into were YuYu Hakusho, which used to run on Adult Swim, and Ranma 1/2, which I honestly have a soft spot for. I love the characters, art, plot, atmosphere, music... it's just great. I'm up to volume 6 of the book, and my sister and I are saving up for the second season of the TV show.

Edited by NintendoBrad

My first anime was Pokémon, then Digimon, and then Yu-Gi-Oh!. After that, I stopped following trends and I watched Sonic X for a while. After I learned all about the horrors of the dubbing process when I first joined SSMB, I stopped watching anime for a long time. I got into Death Note for a little while, up to the episode where

L reveals himself to Light. (Does this kind of stuff need to be spoilered anymore? o.o)

. I gave up looking for an anime that appeals to me, until I discovered the awesome trifecta of Samurai Pizza Cats, Melancholy, and Lucky Star. For some reason, I only like the english dubs of the three instead of the original versions. SPC, for obvious reasons, but the latter two, I don't know why.

I haven't even touched a manga. I'm too scared to pick one up from the shelf at the bookstore, and it feels like everyone is watching me when I go near it. >__>

On a somewhat related note, is anyone going to Atlanta's Momocon besides me? I don't think I can go alone. ;__;

Okay people, my anime of the moment....it's all over my profile. Toradora. That's right, Toradora. One of the most epic animes I had ever watched. It's still airing in Japan...

The other animes I enjoyed were THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA!, Canvas 2, Fullmetal Alchemist, Da Capo, Da Capo ~ Second Season ~, Clannad, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, To Love-Ru and Ultra Maniac. =3

I used to be into anime, now I'm kinda just the art style a bit, mostly Rumiko Takahasi's style - hence the Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 fetish. Besides that, it's the Ghibli sutff. That's me. :)

I review anime and manga.

I'm also a big fan of quite a few series but I've gotten behind recently due to working and Uni stuff. I'll catch up once I have some time.

Anime/manga I love

Haruhi

Inuyasha

Myself Yourself

True Tears

Ouran Highschool Host Club

Strawberry Marshmallow

Maison Ikkoku

Ebichu

Haibane Renmei

Excel Saga

Elfen lied

Kanokon

Hidamari Sketch

FLCL

Lucky Star

Wolf's Rain

Chobits

Toradora

Kannagi

Azumanga Daioh

Deathnote

Studio Ghibli

Cat Soup

Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Samurai Champloo

Maybe I should mention...

I don't like the Deathnote anime, the manga is far better and I really don't like Naruto or Bleach find them both boring.

My first manga was Furuba and it was so boring, despite that I managed to read 10 before giving up. Tohru is so boring T__T. My first animes were Moomins, Hamtaro and Hello Kitty (I lived in the Philippines for 2 years when I was 10 and those were shown on telly) and then after that I got into Pokemon and it progressed.

Edited by Mollfie

My first manga was back when was about 11, called Ironfist Chinmi, when the school library got it in. First anime was Pokemon.

I've followed too many series that I can't really be bothered to list them all right now, but the only ongoing ones I really still follow on a regular basis are Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (although I hate Bleach with a passion now, I just follow it very briefly to see what's happening). Naruto is the only series I care about enoug to still follow both the anime and manga. For Bleach and One Piece, I started with the anime, caught up, then moved onto the manga and dropped the anime from that point.

I never bothered with the Death Note anime, it looks stupidly overdramatic from what I've seen (overanimated writing FTL), and they mess up the ending. The manga did drag on a bit in the end though too, I thought.

Digimon will always have a special place in my heart, even though I know there's better stuff out there. But that was the first anime that had a 'serious' plot (well, it's serious by kids' show standards at the very least), and no other series has seemed to have captured that childlike sense of fascination and imagination, for me.

The most recent series I watched through was Higurashi no Naku Horo Ni (and its' sequel). Nice series, that. I really should get around to watching Gurren Lagann soon though. I keep meaning to watch it to see what all the hype was/ is about, but I never seem to get round to it.

Edited by Mahzes

I've never really been into Anime that much. I've only ever really watched Azumanga Daioh, Sailor Moon, Full Metal Alchemist and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya.

Same could be said for Manga. Sometimes me and a friend will pick up a copy of Death Note and start reading. We still laugh at the "Damn, it's all in english" part, despite the fact that Light's been speaking perfect english the whole time.

I still enjoy the art style though.

Edited by The-BB

The first anime I ever watched was Samurai Pizza Cats. God I loved that show. X3 After that it was Pokemon, which I LOVED and I got completely immersed into the Poke Mania. Trading cards, toys etc.

Now, as for anime that I'm currently, er, obsessing over...

Gurren Lagann

Ok fair enough, I've only seen one episode! The first one. But from this one and other clips I've seen this show is AWESOME. Uaaaa~ I've said enough. XP

Stitch!

Why is nobody else paying attention to this anime with Stitch? It's super cute! D: I love episode 6, with Angel. <3 I don't know how many episodes they're at though at the mo, probably the same as ToraDora since they both started in the same month.

Haruhi Suzumiya

Love love LOVE this one. The story, characters, animation...this one just has no flaws. Well, except for only running for 14 episodes. -3-

I haven't watched the whole series for all these, because I was going to see them with my boyfriend. It's hard not to watch 'em further though. I hate waiting. T.T

Oh yeah! Almost forgot manga...here's a quick list of (most of the XP) manga I have and which ones I lurve...

Death Note (volume 1 only) <3

Tokyo Mew Mew (all volumes, including A La Mode)

Guru Guru Pon-Chan (all volumes)

Azumanga Daioh (all volumes) <333

+Anima (volumes 1-2)

They're not all dissapointments thank goodness! =3

Edited by Gabz Girl

I've never been a huge anime fan, I'm more into the Japanese music found in them. There's 5 I like, which are Sonic X, Sailor Moon, Mermaid Melody, Pokemon and Digimon (in that order), I'll explain the reasons why I like them in the next few paragraphs.

Sonic X

I've always loved Sonic X, right now it's my favourite Sonic cartoon, it's a shame it's so underrated. I LOVE the way Sonic looks in this anime, he's such a little cutie in this, I can never watch it without falling in love with him, I don't like his personality in Sonic X as much though, he just doesn't seem himself, he's too quiet, laid back, and unsocialable. I love the storyline, quite a few episodes made me cry/ made me come close to tears, especially episodes 51 and 52. I also didn't mind Chris, I quite liked his friendship with Sonic and the idea of Sonic living in our world. I like both the dub and the Japanese sub, but the Japanese sub is my favourite since I adore Sonic's voice in this, the background music is better and the opening and endings are better, I hated the voices in the English version.

Sailor Moon

This is the first time I've ever admitted to liking this anime on a Sonic forum, I usually keep it a secret as it would probably wreck my reputation, plus it's a bit on the girly side for someone who's so obsessed with Sonic, but what the heck, I thought I may as well admit I like Sailor Moon now, I've been a fan of it for over 2 years.

I started by listening to the opening song Moonlight Densetsu (the best ever anime opening song IMO), I liked it so much I thought I'd try out actually watching an episode of Sailor Moon, I watched episode 1 (the English dub) and then I was addicted, I totally fell in love with the storyline, it's one of the most addictive things I've ever watched! I also fell in love with Usagi/ Sailor Moon and Mamoru/ Tuxedo Mask's relationship. I like the first series best, after that it kind of went downhill. I've watched 120 eps of it in English and 177 in Japanese.

Mermaid Melody

This is another anime I love. Again I started by watching the first Japanese opening and then I kept seeing alot of comments saying it's very much like Sailor Moon, so I decided to try it out. I watched episode 1 and from that episode onwards I was addicted to Luchia and Kaito's relationship, they're my favourite anime couple, I only watch the parts with Luchia and Kaito in, I skip the rest. XD Another thing I love about it is the singing, I can't even describe how much I love the songs Legend of Mermaid and Kizuna, they're too good for words, I listen to them EVERY single day, and have done for a year now.

Pokemon

Pokemon was one of the first animes I watched and the one I've been watching the longest, I still like it even now. I don't know why but I REALLY enjoy watching Pokemon, it doesn't seem to be anything special and I don't really have much to say about it other than the fact I enjoy watching it. I prefer the earlier episodes but I like some of the newer ones aswell, I haven't watched it in a few years now though.

Digimon

I'm not hugely into Digimon anymore as I haven't watched it in a few years, but it's still an awesome anime. I only like the first and second series, my favourite being the first. I've always been a huge Tai fan, back in 2004 I had a major crush on him, it was so bad that I even renamed myself Tai for a short while and I wouldn't respond to anyone unless they called me Tai! :lol: He's the main reason I like Digimon so much and why it's worth watching.

My first anime was Voltron, but was long before I knew what anime was. It was SAILOR MOON that got me into the genre, and it's cost me thousands of dollars since. :blink: I can only imagine how much money I'd have if not for anime. Aw, screw it... I'd waste it on something else.

As for manga, I think the first manga I ever purchased was the old MiXX-ine magazine that featured Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth to name a few.

My current anime favorites:

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Familiar Of Zero

Hellsing Ultimate

Shakuagn No Shana

Lucky Star (although not as good as I heard)

All-time favorite anime:

Cardcaptor Sakura

Fullmetal Alchemist

R.O.D. & R.O.D. The TV

Current Manga favorites:

Naruto and Bleach (both are WAAAAAY better than the anime)

Fullmetal Alchemist

Sakura Taisen (Love anything Sakura Wars related)

Hellsing

Trinity Blood

Strawberry Marshmallow

Tsubasa and xxxHolic (although both are trying my patience)

Maximum Ride (both Manga and novel versions)

Shoulder-A-Coffin Kuro (cannot recommend this one enough)

...and my all-time favorite : Oh!/Ah! My Goddess

Feel free to check me out on My Anime List.

Edited by Snatcher2047

I forgot Digimon! What the hell is wrong with me?! Digimon was awesome. Anyone also remember Monster Rancher which was like a copycat of Pokemon and Digimon?

Yeah, Digimon is awesome, even in it's english form where they take quite a few liberties with the script. The U.S. movie is still a guilty pleasure of mine and also one of my friends and whenever we watch it we always have our own inside jokes that go with it.

Out of interest, those who've watching/are watching Haruhi, what order did you watch them in the first time? Haruhi's order or Kyon's?

I've watch them in both, Kyon's first and then Haruhi's becasue Kyon's makes more sense. Though I watched the 1st Haruhi ordered episode first because a friend showed it to me.

For anyone who doesn't know the orders:

Chronology/by Haruhi (episode number/by Kyon):

1 (2)

2 (3)

3 (5)

4 (10)

5 (13)

6 (14)

7 (4)

8 (7)

9 (6)

10 (8)

11 (1)

12 (12)

13 (11)

14 (9)

Edited by Mollfie

Further proof how weird Haruhi is. For the record I watched in the DVD order.

Episode 00 is easily my all-time favorite anime episode. It's just great how when you watch it the first time, you're all like "What the hell is this?" And then after you've watched the whole series and go back and watch Episode 00, it's just so hilarious, since you get everything now.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Haruhi is a masterpeice, it really is, and I think the "Haruhi Order" really works a lot better, it has a proper season climax to it and adds a ton of mystery and I paticularly like how it messes with your understandings; the 'chronological' order doesn't quite work so well because it's a great opening arc followed by a ton of, albeit *brilliant*, filler episodes.

At the moment I'm watching a brilliant series called "Vampire Knight".

Anyway, series and films I've seen:

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend

Urotsukidoji II: Legend of the Demon Womb

The Girl Who Lept Through Time

Howl's Moving Castle

Metropolis

Sailor Moon (original Japanese)

Neon Genesis Evangelion

End of Evangelion

Vexille

She: The Ultimate Weapon

Memories

Love Hina: Spring Special

Love Hina: Christmas Special

Love Hina Again

Perfect Blue

Other films I've seen but do not own include:

Akira

Black Jack

Roujin Z

Battle Angel Alita

Ninja Scroll

Spirited Away

Kiki's Delivery Service

Naussica of the Valley of the Wind

Vampire Hunter D

Blood: The Last Vampire

Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

Also seen all of Sailor Moon, the simply BRILLIANT "The Melachony of Haruhi Suzumiya" which is one of the best series, in any format or media, in along time. Also saw the very sweet series "Manabi Straight". But yeah, the above poster isn't alone with Sailor Moon. There's some beautiful stuff there, and great characetr work and villains though, i only think so in the original Japanese. The dub is, often, abominable.

- Scarecrow

I understand the appeal of the Haruhi order and that's why they did it like that for broadcast, but I prefer the Kyon order. It makes more sense.