Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Wow, the Japanese version of Zootopia is really weird yet oh so adorable.

http://anilinkz.tv/aggressive-retsuko-episode-1

In all seriousness, even though it's one of those 2-5 minute short anime, but I'm actually hooked on this for the art and humor. Also, am I the only one who would like to see Zootopia done in this kind of art style and like to see Judy Hopps sing Death Metal? Okay just me? *Slunk away quietly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of being the only one in something...Am I the only one watching Kuma Miko? It may look like an innocent anime...well...it only looks innocent >=D

I've been watching Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans since it started back in October and it's been quite a ride for the first season. The lack of beam weaponry made for a nice change in combat pacing and tone. In a way it reminds me of the 08th MS team in the Gray and Gray morality in some areas while there is just a small chance that things will get better. What annoys me is waiting until Fall 2016 for the second season of Iron Blooded Orphans to start up again as it just sucked me in. At least I can watch another Gundam series such as Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 to make the wait worthwhile.

Hunter X Hunter finally came back this week to WSJ, and I guess, with it returning so did my passion for reading manga. I'm trying to catch up My Hero Academia and One Piece now, both of which seem to be going pretty interesting places.

It's so surreal reading HxH again after two years of hiatus, but it also feels so good. for such a dense chapter it was really interesting and I can't wait to see where the arc's going next. It's also surreal that the dub has started airing on Toonami- maybe now some of my friends will actual give it a chance lol.

---

Also: How great is Diamond is Unbreakable? There's another surreal experiance. I've been super suprised with this season- David Pro have really stepped up the direction. The first few episodes have been mega exciting, even having read the manga, and I'm loving all the stylish flourishes, transitions, action scenes etc they've thrown inso far. They even made the angelo fight- something I thought was pretty boring in the manga, mega exciting. 

This is kind of cool. There's a One Piece fan animation of the fight between Luffy and DoFlamingo made by a guy named Chimera. Some German Youtuber went and dubbed it in German and got the official voice actor to do Luffy (But not DoFlamingo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktZVK27z4g

I guess it's nothing to most people here, but I thought it was really cool that they got the actual actor for it.

--------------------------------

^Also really nice to have HXH back! Latest chapter spoiler:

Spoiler

I can't believe we're getting the Chrollo and Hisoka fight! I thought that was years away.

I also checked out the first dubbed episode. I liked it. I hope the eventual Blu-Ray is region-free or comes out in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got through with a huge FMA marathon recently. I rewatched 2003 for the first time in about a decade, and then I read the manga all the way through for the first time.

I'm trying to collect my thoughts about the manga, but basically I thought it was great. I don't care about a huge majority of any of the action sequences (except for a couple key ones - namely Mustang's battles with Lust and later on Envy, and the final confrontation with Father), so I skimmed and tuned out a bunch of material in the last 20 chapters or so. But it was a good read all the way through. It was pretty damn shonen-y, but it was good shonen nonetheless. I did like how 2003 went beyond the confines of its genre and spent its time on a more down-to-earth, character-driven narrative, and even though its plot falters toward the end, it doesn't collapse entirely and the characters remain as strong as ever.

I'm going to have to write up a huge post on what I think about each version later on. I love both the manga and 2003 versions, but I don't share the same fondness for Brotherhood. That might sound weird since aside from the beginning episodes it's a direct adaptation of the source, but I have my reasons, so I'll go into detail later. I'm not finished with the anime yet anyway; I'm only up to the parts immediately after Briggs. I think being a 1:1 adaptation is Brotherhood's biggest downfall. Not only does it do a legendarily shitty job translating the first 30 chapters, but its comedic timing feels off, and some scenes don't work quite as well in anime format as they do on paper. The show gets better once it reaches Briggs though, reflecting the point where I think the manga, too, starts getting really fucking awesome.

I think both endings were fantastic and were appropriate for their respective canons. Ed develops a lot in both versions; it's just that in 2003 his development is very understated, and I think the people who say that he doesn't change or learn anything at all are incapable of reading between lines. I'm also one of those who liked the movie and its ending, but it does place a lot more focus on plot than the TV series does and so there's little room for character development; plus, the villain was garbage and the stuff going on with Germany at the time was completely inconsequential.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Kind of tuned out of Naruto for a bit, I'm keeping up with the Boruto manga and watching the Toomani run but fucking filler hell mk. 2 the second coming has been going on in japan since forever ago, I've stopped caring and I'm sure the lot of Naruto fans there have as well. fucking perriot is extending this out for god knows why...

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Kind of tuned out of Naruto for a bit, I'm keeping up with the Boruto manga and watching the Toomani run but fucking filler hell mk. 2 the second coming has been going on in japan since forever ago, I've stopped caring and I'm sure the lot of Naruto fans there have as well. fucking perriot is extending this out for god knows why...

The filler hell was what killed the Naruto anime for me as well resulting in me shifting to a combination of the Ultimate Ninja Storm games from 3 Full Burst onward and the manga just to avoid said filler hell.

1 minute ago, Aoi said:

Yes, out of all everyone I know who watched the series, I'm the only one still standing. I have an almost masochistic sense of patience.

Itachi arc was extremely good, but that was the shining beacon of the last six months. Siiiiigh. I think I'm with everyone else and giving up now.

I don't see why Toei and Perriot have not cashed in on DBZ Kai's success and create a One Piece and Naruto Kai, breath some life back into these long running franchises.

But I guess you can't do something like that until a series is actually over, which for 1 already is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aoi have you seen Kamichu?? I started watching it yesterday; it's about a middle school girl who tells her friends one day that she's now a god. Everyone takes it pretty nonchalantly until she accidentally causes a typhoon, and the town just accepts her as its local god and it's cute. It's very Ghibli-like and the animation in some episodes is superb. It appears to be heavily influenced by Shinto religion and I know how much of a sucker you and I are for Japanese spirits and stuff!!

Has anyone here seen Shigofumi? One of the most unsettling and depressing 2008 anime ever.

A girl delivers mail from the dead addressed to the living, the catch being that the letters are completely honest. It covered a lot of the dark side of life in 13 episodes, even if not perfectly realistic. Such as abuse leading to DID, suicide after bullying, parental abuse, people feeling their life has nothing special and killing themselves and even a character committing patricide for her father trying to have smut photos sold of her and her kid sister.

It's not graphic exactly, but more like leaving just enough to the imagination to leave you uncomfortable.

Ali Project does the intro theme, so you know it's gonna be wacky in a non-funny way.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2016 at 0:45 PM, Aoi said:

Bump. Now that all my summer 2016 series are ending and Kamisama Hajimemashita: Kako-hen wrapped up, it seems like there are a million OVAs and movies I want to see being released in Japan this September. This is a list I wanted to share. Be aware, I'm a shoujo/slice-of-life hoe :)

Kimi No Na Wa. (Your Name.)

[Eng Sub]

Been looking forward to Makoto Shinkai's new work for quite a while.. I think it's been 9 months since the original PV was released. A couple of my brother's friends saw at Anime Expo and only said good things about it. It was released a weekend or two ago in Japan.. just waiting on an English translation to surface.

At first I was intrigued because I thought this may be an experience-sharing story similar to the notable webcomic/graphic novel Dreamless. (A fantastic story of a young Japanese boy and American girl who experience the other's life while they dream during WWII. It is a fantastic story and I would recommend.) However, learning more it's obviously just a body swap between a city boy and country girl after wishing on the same shooting star.. and then they have to find each other through learning about one another's life. Oh well, I trust this director.

If anyone sees a sub roll out, lemme know ;)

Yass, I wanna see this too. Lucky fo me but they're showing it in cinemas here in melbourne https://www.madman.com.au/news/makoto-shinkais-your-name-in-cinemas-november-24/ so i'm probably going to check it out. Melbourne is actually pretty great for showing anime films and japanese stuff in general, which is great. I was hoping Koe no Katachi, which I also wanna see, would make the Japanese Film Festival here but it looks like it didn't so blu ray or fan subs for me. The advantage of no cinemas means that when I cry like a baby watching it , it will be in the comfort of my own home.

---

In terms of other anime stuff, I've been watching Yuri on Ice! alongside Jojo's which I'm kinda always watching. Yuri has surprised me with how much I'm into it. Dat sexual tension

6 minutes ago, Cassius said:

So I got into reading Toriko again. :/ It's a shame it's ending.

You have good taste. ba dum tss.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cassius said:

So I got into reading Toriko again. :/ It's a shame it's ending.

Would have loved to have seen it carry on into them going into space or something crazy like that. I've always been a fan of the crazy escalation in Toriko. Hopefully the manga-ka does another cool retro manga after Toriko

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little too addicted to Flip Flappers, I don't normally watch Magical girl shows, but this one has me hooked oddly enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 5:25 PM, Aoi said:

So jealous. I watched shitty pirated your name. and now that it's getting a nom for the Oscars and it's releasing here in the US around the time of the award show. I'm not sure how I totally feel about the dub trailer, but I regret now being impatient and just watching the first thing that passed my computer screen. Sigh. I throughly enjoyed the movie though, some slice of life which was turned on its head and turned thirller.

Your Name was an amazing experience. The bodyswap stuff, which i was kind of iffy on was handled really well too. One thing that surprised me is how funny and heartfelt the whole thing was- I guess I've been watching too much crappy anime but it really exceeded my expectations. I really liked the characters, who actually felt like people, rather than sketched out anime tropes and the dreamlike vibes and atmosphere of the film in general. I'm so glad I went and saw it at the cinema. The movie just looks ridiculously, impossibly good and it was just an all around great experience. I'd recommened pretty much anyone with an interested in anime to go see it- and this is one of the few anime movies that i think are good even if you don't like anime so much normally.

Spoiler

regarding the twist: I thought it was executed amazingly well. I was very upset when I thought mitsuha and pals were dead and not coming back tho. ): my goal was to not cry but I did. The genre switch where it becomes first a mystery, then a time travel race to save the town was really cool. I didn't see it coming at all but i was totally on board for the ride. Great movie

• Thumbs Up 1