Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

I don't know if there are any fans of Type-MOON on here, but there have been two announcements regarding anime adapations of the Fate series.

maxresdefault.jpg

First, especially if you have Netflix, Fate/Apocrypha will resume tomorrow with the second season, picking up imediately from where Season 1 ended.  Please note that Dracula/Vlad III will not be returning due to him being killed off by the story's real antagonist.  But at the very least, Kirbopher (yes, that Kirbopher) is still in the English cast since his character, Karna - a literal Son of the Sun, is still around in the story.

Fate-EXTRA-Last-Encore-2.jpg

Another anime that has popped up based on the Fate series is Fate/Extra - Last Encore.  This series has just started airing on Japanese TV and is based on the PSP game of the same title.  Along with the cast from the game are a few characters from the mobile RPG Fate/Grand Order, including Fergus MacRoich King of Ulster, Darius III ruler of Persia and rival to Iskander, and Leonidas.  The main character of the story is Nero, as shown above, serving as the Saber-archetype that was established in the original Fate/stay Night.  Unlike Saber, Nero is a more outgoing character and represents a perfect example of a Historical Hero Upgrade, as the real Nero was essentially Squidward in all but name and kept himself entertained while all of Rome burned and because of his persecution against early Christians was labeled as the Beast of Revelation (616).  In Fate, Nero is instead a patron of the arts, trying to undo her uncle Caligula's damage albiet in misguided ways, and the early Christians labelling her as the Whore of Babylon.  No dub has been anounced yet for FE-LE.

11 hours ago, Tailikku said:

Please note that Dracula/Vlad III will not be returning due to him being killed off by the story's real antagonist.

Uh, spoilers?

So it seems like Darling in the Franxx isn't about to stop putting weirdly unfitting allusions/comparisons to flight any time soon, even though they proooobably should.  It keeps making me think of Macross Plus which does this show exactly zero  favors.  

• 4 months later...

Looking forward to some anime this year. Free Take Your Marks which airs in a couple of days and Fairy Tail season 9 airing later this year. Also Attack on Titan is getting a third season i might check that out. Currently watching My Hero Academia season 3 every Saturday. The anime has been great i’m looking forward to watching more of it!

Saiki K has a second season but it’s subbed. Hopefully the dub comes out soon. I’ve scene a bit of the anime it’s funny and good. I’d recommend anyone to check it out.

Pretty much what i’m watching in terms of anime.

• 1 year later...

Have had Hunter X Hunter, Dragonball Super, and My Hero Academia as the main things on DVR since they each started. The former ended three or so weeks ago, bittersweetly.

Also been gradually watching Attack on Titan via stream; the first couple of episodes months ago, everything up to the Season 2 finale over last few weeks until yesterday. It's an alright show, if one that does feel a little weird when it comes to...its purpose(s)?

• 2 weeks later...

Binged through the first 7 or so episodes of Attack on Titan Season 3 yesterday. Assuming they can't go into it considering the circumstances, I'd like to ask:

Spoiler

Why exactly did Krista's mother not want her?

Soo, anyone having any experiences with Shueisha's Manga PLUS app?

It does sound pretty interesting, especially if it's a legal choice. I could actually probably read One Piece on the release pace. I'm not going to complain, we're pretty close in here, the latest Finnish edition volume came last week and it wrapped up the Whole Cake Arc.

Jeez was there some interesting stuff in that volume.

I've been watching Season 3 of Attack on Titan throughout this week and, after going to the effort of tracking down a place where I could catch up with the rest of it, watched many of the recently aired episodes from what I understand.

I think I just watched a great breaking point cause man. 

(For extremely minimal, non-spoilerly context)

Spoiler

It's listed as episode 18 within the season.

So I'm waiting for Carole and Tuesday to hit Netflix, I'm debating on watching that one. I hear it's good. 

My dumbass has yet to see Revolutionary Girl Utena so I guess I need to do that as well. 

Zombieland Saga may or may not also be on the table. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, prettyinplague said:

I will say this about Zombieland Saga. Its pretty hilarious, especially with all the slapstick black comedy running around. One character practically yells his lines at every given moment. It also has a lot of good character moments surprisingly enough.

It does have a flaw where the CGI isn't very good. It looks very stilted and rough so don't expect the musical numbers (which is often) be on par with say Aikatsu. Still though Zombieland Saga is a very charming show despite this and has a lot of personality. I just don't want to get into it because of spoilers. Its something you have to experience for yourself.

Went ahead and finished off Attack on Titan Season 3. Just like those youtube comments for the 3rd(or rather Season 2 in general's) Ending said(and I suspected the first few times I saw it), it makes sense now. In conjunction with answering a few questions I had after certain revelations in the first arc of the.

Gotta say that I'm vaguely aware of some of the initial stuff that's coming in Season 4, as despite using the Wayback Machine on sites like TVTropes to specifically avoid spoilers, some extra stuff constantly leaked in. Having both the episode and chapter lists on standby for reference, I know why: it seems that almost every time a couple of episodes seems to finish on a good stopping point, the manga actually has that as the halfway point of a volume. 

Ah well, nothing to do but once again attend to other things while I wait for Season 4. Which, if the episode lists is any indication, will probably air a mere few weeks after it airs in Japan.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:09 PM, BlueSky said:

Soo, anyone having any experiences with Shueisha's Manga PLUS app?

It does sound pretty interesting, especially if it's a legal choice. I could actually probably read One Piece on the release pace. I'm not going to complain, we're pretty close in here, the latest Finnish edition volume came last week and it wrapped up the Whole Cake Arc.

Jeez was there some interesting stuff in that volume.

You should try this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 11:08 PM, prettyinplague said:

So I'm waiting for Carole and Tuesday to hit Netflix, I'm debating on watching that one. I hear it's good. 

My dumbass has yet to see Revolutionary Girl Utena so I guess I need to do that as well. 

Now we're two of us who have to watch/read Utena. I NEED to. Its setting seems fascinating, like a onirical vision of a fairytale. It has a strong female lead, has this shoujo-esque asthetic from the 90's, might have some visual metaphors... I'm all in. I have to know more about Utena, Anthy and their world... and romantic relationship?
Same with Zombieland Saga. I'm not a huge fan of idols anime, but this one seems different... is it really though, or my expectatives will decieve me?

• 4 weeks later...

Dungeon Meshi, or Delicious in Dungeon in English,  just released an animated commercial for Volume 8.

(Minor spoilers I guess?)

There are a lot of people excited, many wanting an actual anime adaptation. I'm half wanting, half dreading it. It totally deserves an anime, but I worry if they can do it in a quality it deserves. This trailer has a lot of effort put into it, but it most likely won't be in the same quality if they have to do 12 episodes or more.

• 1 month later...

I decided to finally start Naruto Shippuden again after the Pain arc however many months ago it was. Which of course meant that, according to the stream I was using, its season of FILLER!
maxresdefault.jpg
And flashbacks filler at that! Like, no joke, I skimmed the descriptions of several episodes and each one is an episode about a character reminiscing on how far they've come and/or simply having an adventure in the original Naruto's time. So after seeing a select few that seemed vaguely interesting/solid(the Naruto & Jiraiya in the Land of Waves is a definite watch next time), I settled on one that starred Tenten.

1_iphone.jpg
For those who don't know, Tenten is The Girl on Rock Lee's team and the least developed of the original 12 Genin. So much so that her defining moments, her fight with Temari and her reliance on Ninja Tools, were primarily established in the anime & video games--the manga barely did more than breeze over the former in a single panel apparently. And reading the synopsis about her team(which has Naruto replacing Lee) going to meet this Weaponsmaster and protecting his work from thieves, I surmised that this would be pretty good focus for her character!?type=episode&id=2968791.jpg

It was kinda dull. If I could give my take pinpointing why, this felt a solid outline that the writer/director did little beyond the bare minimum. Despite being made the leader and getting to defeat the villains in the end, Tenten doesn't actually do much to say this her episode.

Naruto-Shippuden-Episode-184.png

The master and his assistant, with or without both looking weird, don't really form a relationship with her and aren't funny in themselves. And I don't mean in the sense that they are meant to be, but aren't good at it or for some come off as irksome instead--they just straight up aren't comedic characters bar the one quirk about the weapons. There was one legit joke that got a laugh and that involved a cut to a giant igniteable shuriken.

latest?cb=20101104230509

Even the villains, who I assume are brothers, are kinda boring--they're just alternatively colored guys with ninja ponytails and they're mouths covered.

latest?cb=20101104230352

(It lowkey took me a minute to find images of these guys.)

• 7 months later...

So I've been watching Hunter X Hunter recently. It's good, but am I the only one who feels like the show is almost kinda to smart? By that I mean that sometimes the narrative gets so preoccupied with intricate games featuring intricate rules that this elements overshades everything else. Like, my God, sometimes the narrator will just go on and on and on and on with exposition and it gets kinda frustrating.

over the past two weeks, I have ended up binging Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. And I did the most noob thing and started with SAC 2045 on Netflix, and then moved onto the original two seasons plus Solid State Society. But somehow that did feel like that was enough, so I ended up watching the two anime films that helped kick off the series in the West, Ghost in the Shell: Mobile Armored Riot Police from 1995 and its sequel from 2004, GitS 2: Innocence. But even then, that wasn't enough, so earlier today, I sat down and read scans of the original manga by Masamune Shirow, and I ended up seeing a sort of reverse development of a character. That being Maj. Motoko Kusanagi.

Since I'm pretty much an inductee to the GitS fandom, I have taken notice that the Major is fairly stoic in both SAC and Innocence. In the original film, she starts off moody and then becomes playful when her cyberbrain is put into a younger body by Batou at the end. And then in the manga, she is playful and snarky throughout most of the manga, only acting stoic towards the end and elements of moodiness after her encounter with Project 2501, going back to playfulness at the last few pages.

I've only seen a few animes in my life but most share the common theme of a messed up world where nothing will ever be normal by our standards;

Some of my favorites are~

- Tokyo Ghoul (I've read the manga, the RE manga is better than the anime.)

- Overlord 

- Future Diary

- Attack on Titan (I am literally all caught up on the manga, I am a weapon now, if my friends spoil any animes for me I will spoil the end of AoT. This goes for all of you too.)

- Parasyte

- No Game No Life 

- My Hero Academia

- One Punch Man (Again have read all the manga thus far)
- Mob Psycho 100

- SoulEater

I am probably forgetting a lot but my memory isn't that great so this is all I got from right now. Consider this a modern list, I have many favorites from before I was even born (i.e. Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc); I may add those on a  list some other time.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, batson said:

So I've been watching Hunter X Hunter recently. It's good, but am I the only one who feels like the show is almost kinda to smart? By that I mean that sometimes the narrative gets so preoccupied with intricate games featuring intricate rules that this elements overshades everything else.

Yeah, kinda. How far in are you?

On 5/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, batson said:

Like, my God, sometimes the narrator will just go on and on and on and on with exposition and it gets kinda frustrating.

Sounds pretty far.

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, kinda. How far in are you?

I've been watching it at a friend, and we watched the first story arc as well as the arc where they go to retrieve Killua from his family, and then we decided to jump straight to the chimera ant arc since that seems to be considered the best one. And like I said, it's good, and obviously extremely well thought out, but sometimes the entire narrative seems more interested in proudly displaying various complex rules over, well, anything else.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, batson said:

I've been watching it at a friend, and we watched the first story arc as well as the arc where they go to retrieve Killua from his family, and then we decided to jump straight to the chimera ant arc since that seems to be considered the best one. And like I said, it's good, and obviously extremely well thought out, but sometimes the entire narrative seems more interested in proudly displaying various complex rules over, well, anything else.

Oh yeah, pretty far.

The narrator is extra talky in that arc due to certain emotional/philosophical ideas that are being portrayed in what are otherwise ongoing, to the point conflicts later on.  And it's a long arc too, so yeah.

I'm questioning the decision to skip so much, but I guess outside of the stuff that links in through Greed Island(which is admittedly a pretty creative tangent), you'd seen a decent bit of establishment.

What episode did you start Chimera Ants on, btw?

On 6/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, DabigRG said:

What episode did you start Chimera Ants on, btw?

I think it was the very first episode that the ant queen shows up.

2 hours ago, batson said:

I think it was the very first episode that the ant queen shows up.

Okay, that would be close to the start and the meeting with Kite.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, batson said:

Why would you do this lmao? The arcs preceding it, Yorknew/Greed Island are both brilliant. 

I agree the series loves complex rules and systems- I think it gives it a videogame-y RPG feeling and allows its battle victories to feel earned when they happen. I don't think it's a negative apart from maybe one or two cases.