Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Just started watching Samurai Champloo. It is glorious.

The first volume was damaged in shipping.

...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT: ...as were some of the other six volumes.

Looks like I got unlucky with a duff copy. Blech, hate it when this happens.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

Denpa will be the end of me when it's done, I swear.

29clz4m.jpg

Also: I swear, if Makoto and Ryuuko don't get together, I'm gonna murder someone.

Edited by PSI Aqua

Meanwhile, Toriyama forgets things like main characters constantly, and Kubo forgets things on purpose to piss people off.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica looks amazing on blu-ray, I tell ya, and the volumes are only costing me $86 each, and the magia singles disc only cost me $40[/my sanity]. Loving the soundtrack too.

I decided to get back into reading some manga, and I must say, Rosario Vampire has... hooked me. I honestly did not expect much from the manga considering I saw the anime adaptation, but the manga is just so much better. I'm glad I decided to buy the manga version, I'm almost done with Season 1, after I buy volume 10 I'll move on to Rosario season 2. Damn man... I'm disappointed, because now I know what the anime could have been but failed to become... eh happens.

Guess I'll try to get back into the Soul Eater manga and check out the Pandora Hearts manga... Damn things are so expensive.

Edited by Silencer226

Puella Magi Madoka Magica looks amazing on blu-ray, I tell ya, and the volumes are only costing me $86 each, and the magia singles disc only cost me $40[/my sanity]. Loving the soundtrack too.

Wow, you are a more dedicated fan then I, so expensive! D:

Madoka does rule though

I don't think Kubo has to forget. Bleach is the equivalent of Looney Tunes in terms of coherent plot. There is none.

He doesn't have to, but he does it anyways. That's how he rolls.

List stuff

Staff edit: Quote got too long and stretched quite a bit, so I shrunk it down. ;3

I know your holding off buying Evangelion because you think the plot might be confusing, but it's really not. If I were you I'd grab the boxset while to still can, the distributer ADV went into administration some time ago and began selling off their assets. I grabbed a copy of the Platinum Collection shortly after I found out ADV had gone into administration because I new the price of the boxset would rise, and sure enough it has. I paid about £50.00 for the boxset in december last year, amazon now sells it for £250.00. When I first bought The End of Evangelion film it cost me £13, then I re bough it in 2010 for £30, it's now selling for £50.

Buy the Platinum Collection and watch it up till episode 25, then buy and watch The End of Evangeline up to the point where everybody liquifies, then resume watching episodes 25 and 26. Afterwards resume watching the rest of The End of Evangelion. The episodes don't exactly synch correctly with the film since episodes 25 and 26 were never originally created with End of Evangelion in mind, but they take place in Shinji's mind after instrumentality is achieved. The End of Evangelion explains the events leading up to, and after, instrumentality (something the TV show never did).

Also (if you haven't seen them already) add Metropolis and Ninja Scroll to your buy it list.

Edited by ^DiZnEy^
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it as I usually do, but specifically regarding Eva: my concern currently is that the new movie tetralogy, which is currently incomplete, will end up being the superior and definitive version of the franchise, as is currently rumoured, and it bothers me enough to stop me from buying.

That and the price. XP

watch it up till episode 25, then buy and watch The End of Evangeline up to the point where everybody liquifies, then resume watching episodes 25 and 26. Afterwards resume watching the rest of The End of Evangelion.

No.

If you haven't watched all 26 episodes in order, you haven't watched Evangelion. It's just wrong.

On another note, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-28/durarara-to-run-on-u.s-adult-swim-network-in-june

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it as I usually do, but specifically regarding Eva: my concern currently is that the new movie tetralogy, which is currently incomplete, will end up being the superior and definitive version of the franchise, as is currently rumoured, and it bothers me enough to stop me from buying.

That and the price. XP

With the remake films I get the feeling they may not be straight replacements to the original TV series, but rather an alternative reality, or more likely the same reality where events repeat themselves. The Kaworu character always seemed like he knew the Shinji character in the original TV show, and in the remake he remarks something along the lines of Shinji being the third child again. I always had a theory that after instrumentality mankind and the angels re-evolved to play out the same scenario over and over again. It’s just a theory, but I strongly believe the films are more than just straight up remakes. And even if their not you shouldn’t shun the originals in favor of the remakes. As a TV series the originals have a depth that the films don’t, but the film are great because they benefit from advances in CGI, and because they put a new spin (give new understanding) to scenes that took place in the TV show. I think that by watching both you will gain a greater understanding of the secrets and mythology of the Angels and of the Evas.

No.

If you haven't watched all 26 episodes in order, you haven't watched Evangelion. It's just wrong.

On another note, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-28/durarara-to-run-on-u.s-adult-swim-network-in-june

Technically that would be to correct order since both episodes take place during The End of Evangelion, and it wouldn't make sense to watch the film before or after these episodes. Of course you can watch them as standalones, but to a first time viewer I think it's important to emphasise that the final 2 episodes and The End of Evangelion film compliment each other (as it is now universally agreed).

Edited by Psychobob’s Ghost

Technically that would be to correct order since both episodes take place during The End of Evangelion, and it wouldn't make sense to watch the film before or after these episodes. Of course you can watch them as standalones, but to a first time viewer I think it's important to emphasise that the final 2 episodes and The End of Evangelion film compliment each other (as it is now universally agreed).

I watched Haruhi in chronological order (as that's the default Region 2 DVD order), so going by that logic I'd probably follow PBG's advice.

I've yet to make up my mind, but this is helping. Do go on. :D

Plus, if you don't watch the episodes in order you lose the experience of hating Anno, and that's just not fun.

I prefer not to buy Region 1 copies of titles unless I have no choice, especially when I already own the show in question.

I'm starting to lean towards picking up Eva Platinum, but whatever I pick is going to be a problem.

Wow, you are a more dedicated fan then I, so expensive! D:

Madoka does rule though

Edited by Silencer226

Unfortunately, I've been staring at it for a while and Eva's gone totally out of print, so what is available has its price jacked up very, very high. Too high, I literally can't afford it. :/

Worse, Vol. 4 and 5 are completely absent; I assume there are seven volumes?

Going by the current asking price, picking up the whole series will cost at least £200. :/

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

So I've seen clips of what may be considered the worst anime of all time...

Marvel at the missing pieces of character models, creative fight scenes and animation looping over and over and over...

I lol'd. I kinda wish it'd be dubbed in a way similar to the Funimation Shin-Chan dub. I can only imagine the hilarity.

Edited by The Stinking Recolor

Its exactly that attitude that causes millions of Otaku to starve to death every year.

Edited by Silencer226

So I've seen clips of what may be considered the worst anime of all time...

Don't you talk shit on Musashi Gundoh you damned proletarian.

By the way, you picked the wrong clip.

Of course that was a joke, you can find it (Evangelion) for $40 at Rightstuf, unless you're hunting for singles or too good for the cheap edition.

Eva Holiday Edition

Edit: And I am not starving. :P If I were you and wanted Evangelion, I would wait until Rightstuf has their Section 23 sale, which usually happens after the Funi sales.

41cRzvEsYBL._SS400_.jpg

In the UK we only got the SteelBook edition of the Platinum Collection (above) which is no longer in print. Because of this it now sells for £200 (about $400).

511FJN7KBCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the USA you also have the regular Platinum Collection (above) which is much cheaper to import. You can buy imported copies in the UK for £40 (about $80).

I used to have the USA regular Platinum Collection because the price of the UK SteelBook edition had a RRP of £200. Eventually I bought the UK edition because the price fell, but now that ADV has gone into administration the boxset is no longer in print and the price rose back to what it originally was. I bought the UK edition because it's a region 2 DVD whereas the USA edition is region 1. I used to have a region free DVD player with an NTSC capable TV, but I now use a PS3 to play all my DVD's, and the PS3 is not region free.

I did already suggest to Velotix Lexovetikan that they should import the region 1 edition because it's cheaper, but they may not have a region free player or NTSC capable TV. Or it may be that (like me) they prefer to buy all their entertainment media from the same region for consistencies sake.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love anime! In fact, a few days ago I posted on my Facebook my personal top 25 anime. The list is likely to change as I watch more, but still!

1. Clannad

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

3. Gurren Lagann

4. Cowboy Bebop

5. Mushi-Shi

6. Death Note

7. Code Geass

8. Ghost in the Shell

9. Baccano!

10. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

11. Kino's Journey

12. Great Teacher Onizuka

13. Ouran High School Host Club

14. Welcome to the NHK

15. Black Lagoon

16. Haibane Ranmei

17. Full Metal Panic

18. Spice and Wolf

19. BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

20. Azumanga Daioh

21. Berserk

22. Trigun

23. Neon Genesis Evangelion

24. Wolf's Rain

25. FLCL

Actually with import DVDs my number one concern is getting my wallet raped by UK customs. :P

Check these out, these are the actual desks that the big SJ Mangakas draw their manga on: (these pics are from around 2010 I believe)

gintama.jpg

obata.jpg

rebornop.jpg

kubo.jpg

narutoc.jpg

onepiecep.jpg

You can really tell alot about a manga by the manga creator's desks. :mellow:

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2