Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

ah Durarara! is pretty good, started watching it.

also hahahaha dokuro-chan is so entertaining

sakura's deaths are absolutely hilarious

pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

Edited by Dr Jackstraw

Has anyone else seen the movie Summer Wars? I got it in the mail from Netflix last night, and watched it. Very good movie, and a bit weird too. There was lots of action, it had a good story, I liked its portrayal of the internet, the animation in the internet world was trippy and well-done, the online avatars were cool, and there were a few sad parts too. My only complaint about the movie was the Koi-Koi match at the end. It seemed a bit dumb and rushed. Also, I'm surprised the movie got a PG rating despite the nudity, blood, and swearing. But anyway, it was a great movie nonetheless, and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone else seen the movie Summer Wars? I got it in the mail from Netflix last night, and watched it. Very good movie, and a bit weird too. There was lots of action, it had a good story, I liked its portrayal of the internet, the animation in the internet world was trippy and well-done, the online avatars were cool, and there were a few sad parts too. My only complaint about the movie was the Koi-Koi match at the end. It seemed a bit dumb and rushed. Also, I'm surprised the movie got a PG rating despite the nudity, blood, and swearing. But anyway, it was a great movie nonetheless, and I highly recommend it.

OK everyone drop everything for a minute.

This is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeot1dDqms

I just can't for the life of me work out why.

So yeah, currently up to Love Hina in my animu quest. Trigun was great, as expected, even though the ending was a bit off. Only a bit, it still managed to make sense.

So I finished watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yesterday, and I'm actually a bit mixed about how I feel comparing it to the 2003 anime. The action scenes are better, the animation is better, and I like the homunculi in this one more. However, one thing I loved about the first one was the realism of it. It really felt like alchemy was a science they had simply learned how to use. In Brotherhood everyone seems superhuman, and it kind of takes away from what made the original so great. Not only that, but tne main villain was also really disappointing. Where in the 2003 anime the Big Bad was

just some bitch who wanted to live forever,

Edited by Dissident

I really need to start watching Nichijou

Coincidentally I finished watching the 2003 anime yesterday and finished Brotherhood a week ago

I'm actually feeling a bit of the same vibe, where I love them both but for some reason favor the first, which I can't entirely explain why.

Edited by Cero

So I finished watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yesterday, and I'm actually a bit mixed about how I feel comparing it to the 2003 anime. The action scenes are better, the animation is better, and I like the homunculi in this one more. However, one thing I loved about the first one was the realism of it. It really felt like alchemy was a science they had simply learned how to use. In Brotherhood everyone seems superhuman, and it kind of takes away from what made the original so great. Not only that, but tne main villain was also really disappointing. Where in the 2003 anime the Big Bad was

just some bitch who wanted to live forever,

in Brotherhood the villain was

a freaking demigod who made the ending suffer from what I call DBZ Syndrome (“I HIT HIM FULL FORCE, AND HE DIDN'T EVEN FLINCH!").

I'll admit there are somethings I prefer to the brotherhood/manga adaption, such as the Homunculi, in the first anime they actually felt like people who had goals and concerns of their own, while still being evil. On the other hand the final battle in the first anime felt so anti-climatic, the only surprising part:

Was when Envy killed Ed.

And that was quickly resolved in the next episode.

I dunno I read the Manga before watching the 2003 anime, so maybe that's why I prefered it, but I did love somethings that first anime did.

I was honestly more disappointed with the Brotherhood final battle, simply because of the aforementioned DBZ Syndrome. I think it was intentional to make the villain of the first one seem as pathetic as possible.

OK everyone drop everything for a minute.

This is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeot1dDqms

I just can't for the life of me work out why.

So yeah, currently up to Love Hina in my animu quest. Trigun was great, as expected, even though the ending was a bit off. Only a bit, it still managed to make sense.

I remember Love Hina, being funny, especially some ridiculous very ridiculous episodes.

I remember Love Hina, being funny, especially some ridiculous very ridiculous episodes.

I heard it also abuses the "Abuse is okay when females do it" trend that anime tend to exagerrate so much.

I heard it also abuses the "Abuse is okay when females do it" trend that anime tend to exagerrate so much.

Yes it does, it is in probably every episode.

Most of the time I found too silly for it to bother me.

I thought the Koi Koi was significant in the sense that it was a game the entire family loved to play. Not rushed at all imo. And yeah... I got it on bluray :).

No no no, what I meant was how the match at the end went.

The main character's girlfriend is about to lose, and then IMMEDIATELY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LOG ON TO HELP HER OUT.

That's what I felt was dumb and rushed.

Anyway, last night, I finished the first season of Black Butler. Very unexpected turn of events. However, I don't see how there can be a second season if

Sebastian took Ciel's soul at the end

, but maybe they'll explain.

I will watch Season 2 soon, for now I'm going to take a break and watch the movies Akira and My Neighbor Totoro (because I have never seen those movies, and I heard they're very good), and then watch Neon Genesis Evangelion or Panty and Stocking.

Anyway, last night, I finished the first season of Black Butler. Very unexpected turn of events. However, I don't see how there can be a second season if

Sebastian took Ciel's soul at the end

, but maybe they'll explain.

It is kind of explained in the first episode, well not really, but you'll understand when you watch it

The thing about Brotherhood was that it played all the shonen tropes right down to a bad for the sake of being bad villain with a humongous power level, but it did all of it so well that it was great. The last fight was retarded but it was like part of the package that you have to accept and love for how it almost parodies other shows

The nature of alchemy essentially being closer to magic then ever really being a science made the Big Bad in brotherhood way easier for me to swallow. I mean you can't exactly complain about that guy when we had all the homonculous up to then having ludicrous powers too, particularly Brotherhood's Pride.

I was satisfied with Brotherhood. But I kind of wish the earlier parts weren't so rushed through so we could've had a definitive adaption of the manga, as it stands it's kind of half an half, with brotherhood's later points annihilating the OG series and the OG series not having a first quarter that is a total bore!

^Haha I agree, original anime intro trumps Brotherhood's intro, but I guess that was because it was made with the intention of bringing in the old fans as well so they didn't want to make it too similar? Dun really know. I loved Brotherhood (I actually saw it first) but I like the first ten or so episodes of the first series a lot more, with the State Alchemist certification test and their first mission, along with some additional details that were really nice and let us know more about the characters. I'm still watching it though :/

Edited by Melru

The nature of alchemy essentially being closer to magic then ever really being a science made the Big Bad in brotherhood way easier for me to swallow. I mean you can't exactly complain about that guy when we had all the homonculous up to then having ludicrous powers too, particularly Brotherhood's Pride.

I suppose, but the homunculi also had some weaknesses that kept them from being completely absurd. They can still feel pain, and only need to be killed multiple times before finally kicking the bucket. Pride's actually a bad example of ludicrous power, simply because he becomes completely useless in an area with no light (kind of like Mustang in the rain). Greed can't heal and use his shield at the same time, Gluttony isn't a very competent fighter, Envy isn't very tolerant of pain, etc. The only one who I really got annoyed at was Wrath, who despite being the only one who

can't regenerate

refuses to fucking die. I mean seriously; he has a fucking gunshot wound and still manages to almost kill one of the most competent fights in the entire series? Are you kidding me?

The Big Bad didn't even really have a reason to be so evil. He just... was. "I WANT THE POWER OF GOD!!!" "Why?" "BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!"

I liked the original series contrast to this; a villain who was nothing more than an arrogant bitch obsessed with living forever.

I was satisfied with Brotherhood. But I kind of wish the earlier parts weren't so rushed through so we could've had a definitive adaption of the manga, as it stands it's kind of half an half, with brotherhood's later points annihilating the OG series and the OG series not having a first quarter that is a total bore!

I was satisfied as well, but I still think I slightly prefer the original series. If it means anything, I started with that one. I haven't read the manga.

I suppose, but the homunculi also had some weaknesses that kept them from being completely absurd. They can still feel pain, and only need to be killed multiple times before finally kicking the bucket. Pride's actually a bad example of ludicrous power, simply because he becomes completely useless in an area with no light (kind of like Mustang in the rain). Greed can't heal and use his shield at the same time, Gluttony isn't a very competent fighter, Envy isn't very tolerant of pain, etc. The only one who I really got annoyed at was Wrath, who despite being the only one who

can't regenerate

refuses to fucking die. I mean seriously; he has a fucking gunshot wound and still manages to almost kill one of the most competent fights in the entire series? Are you kidding me?

The Big Bad didn't even really have a reason to be so evil. He just... was. "I WANT THE POWER OF GOD!!!" "Why?" "BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!"

I liked the original series contrast to this; a villain who was nothing more than an arrogant bitch obsessed with living forever

Dante didn't interest me that much either to be honest, especially considering her being the villain didn't come into context until the series was more than half way done.

I think Wrath was so overpowered because he has no abilities, I mean if he wasn't as good as a fighter as he was he would've been killed off reletively early, and don't get me started on Armless Scar.

I was satisfied as well, but I still think I slightly prefer the original series. If it means anything, I started with that one. I haven't read the manga.

I think he's talking about brotherhood wrath, who had a pretty awesome ability. :P

Edited by Shadic93

I know he's referring to Brotherhood Wrath, but he's kind of right compared to the others, Wrath was by far the most difficult to kill despite having no regenerative powers, I mean he was already half dead and Scar still couldn't beat him without divine intervention, and even after having his Arm grafted off he still managed to wound Scar, I mean DAAAAMMNN, and this all after losing said ability. I dunno as awesome as Manga Wrath was, he was kind OP even moreso than Manga Pride.

You forgot that he was stabbed with sword that went through his body followed by falling three stories into a pool of water. Like, what the fuck, that guy really annoyed me. =/

If you really want to go beyond the obvious that Father was evil for no reason, what he actually wanted was to live and have a family. It's why he took advantage of Hohenheim to get a body and why he created the homonculi. He was just a poor little dwarf inside a flask who wanted to be free and it's actually kinda interesting I think. They didn't do a good job at explaining that so he came off as generic but he really did have a motive.