Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Sailor Moon

This is the first time I've ever admitted to liking this anime on a Sonic forum, I usually keep it a secret as it would probably wreck my reputation, plus it's a bit on the girly side for someone who's so obsessed with Sonic, but what the heck, I thought I may as well admit I like Sailor Moon now, I've been a fan of it for over 2 years.

I started by listening to the opening song Moonlight Densetsu (the best ever anime opening song IMO), I liked it so much I thought I'd try out actually watching an episode of Sailor Moon, I watched episode 1 (the English dub) and then I was addicted, I totally fell in love with the storyline, it's one of the most addictive things I've ever watched! I also fell in love with Usagi/ Sailor Moon and Mamoru/ Tuxedo Mask's relationship. I like the first series best, after that it kind of went downhill. I've watched 120 eps of it in English and 177 in Japanese.

Before the arrival of the internet and YouTube, I was only able to fully watch the entire Season#1 and catch some random glimpses of Season#2.

But once I started digging through the internet I evetually got to see plenty of the rest... I finished watching the entire Season#2, I finished watching the entire Season#3, and now I'm almost finished with Season#4.

(Basically, I tune into 2 episodes every Sunday night before going to sleep. :D)

Overall, yeah, I liked the Season#1 the best. The way in which the Queen Beryl character was portrayed just caused me to feel that she was the ultimate superior figure of authority in the evil dimension.

Until reaching the other seasons I was actually so convinced that there was nobody else higher than her or parallel to her.

She felt like the female version of Darth Sidious, you know.

And Tuxedo Mask felt like Anakin Skywalker who became torn between 2 equally conflicting sides.

Anyways, I also enjoyed the second half of the Season#2. (The one where Usagi's future daughter falls from the sky. Not the one with the stupid elf who plays an annoying flute.)

In Season#3 I admired Sailor Neptune's artisitc and daydreamy personality. And I really wished that Sailor Saturn would've survived the final battle in some other way without becoming reborn as a new baby...

That ending was just too sad for me. :(

Season#4 seems quite hillarious so far. There's a lot of "LOL, WTF" moments in there. But seriously, IMO nothing can match the epicness of Season#1. That season had it all in one blend.

It was originally broadcast in Haruhi's order, the DVDs are in Kyon's order automatically n__n

I actually like The out of order order better. :) like Scarecrow said, the pacing is way better. They slowly feed you information about what the hell is going on as things get progressively stranger.

DVD order is just like LOL CHECK IT OUT ALIENS AND TIME TRAVELERS

In australia, you can get a DVDs with the episodes in Kyon's order. :)

^ same as here...or do you mean that you get the DVDs in Haruhi's order?

I forgot Sailor Moon! Sailor Moon was cool. Also Yu Yu Hakusho!

To all of the Naruto readers and the fact that I already warned for the spoilers I shall now talk about the Naruto Manga.

I am happy that Hinata isn't dead, she is one of my favorite characters. I wonder if Naruto will actually be able to control the Nine Tails soon.

^ same as here...or do you mean that you get the DVDs in Haruhi's order?

I meant Kyon, heh. Kyon's is the broadcast order( Ie. out of order) We actually get both, you buy the "proper" dvds then send in 10 bucks and get the whacky order.

Back in the day at least, dunno about now, might have been a limited thing.

Also Yu Yu Hakusho!
I never liked that anime for some reason. It was always just bugged me or just was boring. I think Tenchi Muyo (though I hear people love that one) was the same as well.

I pretty much have a list of anime that I like and goes like this:

Pokemon

Digimon - Thought the 1st two seasons were good, but started to go downhill afterward. 3rd season was pretty good as well.

DB and DBZ

One Piece

Naruto

Bleach

Gintama - Possibly Best Anime Parody Show Ever!

BoBoBo-BoBoBo

Cowboy Bebop

Afro Samurai

FLCL - If it were a bit longer

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Hare + Guu

Ouran High School Host Club

Fruits Basket

Tenchi Series

Death Note - Fave Char: L and Near

Haruhi

Lucky Star

Tekkonkinkreet - Shows the value of innocence and kids that can do super awesome jumps.

Paprika - Trippy Movie

Paranoia Agent - Trippy/Creepy Anime

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Really like the humor and artistry in this one

Code Geass

Soul Eater - Like the concept and some the cast. Black Star is like the Naruto in this. <3 Excalibur and Death the Kid.

School Rumble

Hayao Miyazaki films

FMA

Trigun

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - Fave Chars: Neuro for being a bad@$$ demon with cool tools and Sai for being an awesome murderer/shapeshifter

Would have put Sonic X if it weren't for bad episodic plots, Chris, and that humans seem or feel to get the same or more attention than Sonic and the crew.

Manga that I have read and have interest in:

+Anima

Enchanters

B.Ichi

Free Collars Kingdom

My Cat Loki

FairyTail - This is good enough to have its own anime

I meant Haruhi, heh. We actually get both, you buy the "proper" dvds then send in 10 bucks and get the whacky order.

Back in the day at least, dunno about now, might have been a limited thing.

Buy the current full boxset from Madman and the special edition broadcast order comes free with it... I was devo when I found out, collected all those smelly cards for nothing lol

Anyways, anime topic! ^^ YUSH!

Alrighty series I currently own:

Comic Party

Air Gear

GTO

GTO Live Action

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Original release)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Platnium Release)

Dragon Ball Z Remastered 1, 3,5,6

His and Her Circumstances

Full Metal Alchemist 1, 2

Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Panic TSR

Gantz

Black Lagoon

Black Lagoon Second Barrage

Haruhi Suzumiya

Samurai Champloo

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Hellsing

Bleach 1, 2

Naruto 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Lain

School Rumble

School Rumble 2nd Semester

Azu Manga Daioh

Ghost In the Shell S.A.C.

Ghost In The Shell S.A.C. 2nd Gig

Please Teacher

Please Twins

Love Hina (Worst purchase ever, bought it 4 years ago and still refuse to finish it)

Spped Grapher

Chrono Crusade

Rounin Kenshin 1, 2

Rumbling Hearts

Happy Lesson

Marburaho

Habine Renmei

Texhnolyze

Wolfs Rain

Elfin Lied

Ergo Proxy

Code Geass (working on collecting that shit currently)

Lucky Star 1

Initial D 1, 2

Pokemon Season 1, 2

Fruits Basket

FLCL

Anime Movies:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End Of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1:0 You Are (Not) Alone (Worst release for an anime I have ever seen. RedAnt should be ashamed)

Naruto: Ninja Clash In Land Of Snow

Naruto: Legend Of The Stone Of Geelel

Ninja Scroll

Ghost In The Shell

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence

Initial D

Interstella 5555

Death Note

Death Note: The Last Name

Death Note Spinoff: "L" Change The WorLd

Akira

Paprika

Laputa Castle In The Sky

Full metal Alchemist: Conqueror Of Shamballa

Ichi The Killer

The Place Promised In Our Early Years

The Girl Who Lept Through Time

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking On Heavens Door

Spirited Away

Howls Moving Castle

Princess Mononoke

Whisper Of The Heart

Porco Rosso

The Cat Came Back

As for my favorites, I would have to admit I am a keen marine for Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo and His And Her Circumstances. You can show any of those three to someone who doesn't watch anime, and they will love every minute of it. Black Lagoon in particular is a favorite because there is some preconceived notion that anime has to have a hidden meaning behind it for it to make an impact. This anime takes that idea, spits all over it and throws it in the trash. Black Lagoon is by far one of the most exciting and action packed anime out there today. Straight forward like a Hollywood Blockbuster, but still distinctly anime with the quirky characters and situations. A must watch if you haven't seen it before.

Anime, gotta love how it sucks all my money away. I cannot control myself though lol.

I gave up cigarettes, now I am hooked on anime XD

Edited by Hawkz

There's so many different anime series and movies I want to watch right now. I dunno when I will have the time to either~ >0<

Oh, and I agree with Mollfie. I prefer Kyon's order more..it just makes sense. I'm not a big fan of randomness and confuzzleness. BT Besides, why are they called Haruhi and Kyon orders? Because Haruhi is random personality-wise? :0

There's so many different anime series and movies I want to watch right now. I dunno when I will have the time to either~ >0<

Oh, and I agree with Mollfie. I prefer Kyon's order more..it just makes sense. I'm not a big fan of randomness and confuzzleness. BT Besides, why are they called Haruhi and Kyon orders? Because Haruhi is random personality-wise? :0

In the japanese cut, at the end of each episode, both Kyon and Haruhi banter about which episode appears next after the current one. Both of them say a different episode, Haruhi normally saying the episode which is way down the line storywise, but Kyon saying the episode which appeared next in the broadcast order.

Kyon's order is the original broadcast order, dictated by him when the "Next Episode" segement played.

The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3

Remote Island Syndrome Part 1

Mysterique Sign

Remote Island Syndrome Part 2

Someday in the Rain

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4

The Day of Sagittarius

Live Alive

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6

Haruhi's order is the more straight forward coherant plot, featured in the DVD release.

The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Mysterique Sign

Remote Island Syndrome Part 1

Remote Island Syndrome Part 2

Live Alive

The Day of Sagittarius

Someday in the Rain

Edited by Hawkz

I think Tenchi Muyo (though I hear people love that one) was the same as well.

I used to love Tenchi Muyo!, but kind of outgrew it with all the different universes and such. You can only take the same story told in a different way so many times before you are begging for some continuity. And that 3rd OVA series was awful. The only good thing that came out of that series was Chibi-Tokimi:

Tokimi2.JPG

Ain't she cute?

I still have to finish Tenchi In Tokyo and that newer Magical Girl Sammy series.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Kyon's order had a better ending.

There, I said it.

I prefer DVD episode 14 over TV episode 14. After all that has happened, it's a beautiful change of pace in the series. You get to see a glimpse of the SOS Brigade without Kyon; most of the episode is pretty soothing and mellow in nature, and the exchange between Haruhi and Kyon near the end was pretty cute (saying this as a non-shipper). I didn't appreciate the entire jumping around scenario of the TV broadcast order, either. I know a lot of people preferred having the series end (yes, end - there will never be a season two, guys) on a bang rather than how the DVD order did, but I enjoyed it a lot more that way.

Only thing wrong with the DVD order was how it had to sacrifice the next episode previews.

Edited by Jake

Even if there never is a 2nd season, I'm loving the Haruhi-Chan videos they are putting up on YouTube.

Anime is pretty nice. Yeah.

My current favorite would probably be Gurren Lagann. That's been mentioned on favorite lists by hundreds of people by now, but I just love it. It was the show that really got me into anime, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

The overall art is similar to that of Fooly Cooly and Diebuster, and the mech designs are pretty unique. The characters are all likeable. It's got some good themes (believing in one's self, continuing another's legacy, overcoming seemingly impossible hardships). The music is pretty amazing (As nerdy as this sounds, whenever I'm going through something tough I sometimes sing "Liberia Me From Hell" in my head and it motivates me). Overall I just <3 it.

Another favorite, although it is on pretty much everyone's list, is Cowboy Bebop. If someone asked em the definition of cool, I'd point to Bebop. Not going to go into too much detail since it has been covered by everyone and their mother, but I'm just gonna say I couldn't help but like it.

As for what I own...

Anime I own.

Afro Samurai season 1

Akira

Big O Season 1

Bleach Season 1

Casshern Sins

Code Geass part 1 (first nine episodes)

Cowboy Bebop (series + movie)

Fooly Cooly

*not pictured. Just got this last week.* Gurren Lagann (Dual audio, special edition volume 1, normal edition volume 2)

Gundam Wing Part 1 (first 25 eps)

Naruto Movie 3 (technically my brother's, I don't care for Naruto, but I keep it with my anime stuff for the sake of convenience)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (original DVD release)

Trigun (It's a bootleg :|)

Stuff I've seen but have not purchased (never finished most of these yet, either. Eh.):

Aim For the Top: Gunbuster

Aim For the Top 2: Diebuster

Black Lagoon

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan

Casshern Sins

Death Note

The three Dragon Ball anime series

End of Evangelion

Fate/Stay Night

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (I did own the first volume of the DVDs, but I lost it on trip)

Lucky Star

*Shin* Lupin III

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Pokemon (I still sometimes read summaries of the current plot. lol)

Shakugan No Shana

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Sonic OVA

Soul Eater

The 3 Tenchi Muyou series's on Toonami in the early 2000's

Zoids (Chaotic Century and New Century Zero)

There is definitely more but I'm not going to bother listing each one.

I regret this, and you all with rip my testes off for saying this, but I never saw an entire Miyazaki film. I feel like some kind of poser anime fan. :( I'd like to buy some of them (if they really are works of art, torrenting or streaming them shall not be an option for me), but I don't know where to start.

As for manga, not that into it. :| The only thing I regularly read is Yotsuba.

Also, these days I've been getting into the whole collection thing. I own several figures in the Revoltech line (pic1, 2, 3, 4). I also own a few posters, and a Code Geass wristband I got for Christmas. Plus there's that light-up Core Drill that came with my Gurren Lagann DVDs. <3

I may sound like a selfish bastard, but I want more DVDs and collectables. :( I kinda wanna waste all my money on expensive DVDs and figures and then lock myself in a dark room all day. Fuck my friends and family~

Edited by gunthetra

Also Yu Yu Hakusho!

I'm watching YuYu Hakusho right now, and I think it's great. It's pretty heavy with logic-defying fighting similar to Dragonball Z, but the fight scenes are very well done, and there are some genuinely funny moments.

Gunthetra: I suggest you start with Spirited Away, it's a must-see film regardless of whether someone is interested in anime or not.

Edited by NintendoBrad

I've been watching a loooott of anime lately. I just watched the Street Fighter II anime, and the Tales of Symphonia OVA (both fucking amazing, by the way), and I plan on rewatching Trigun (one of my all-time favorite shows) soon as well. I'm also really getting into Cowboy Bebop and Fooley Cooley too :x

Good stuff.

I just finished watching Evangelion, unfortunately I'm one of those people who starts things but never finishes them so I have a LOT of unfinished anime series floating around.

I'm currently watching:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Lucky Star

Exel Saga

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

I was watching Love Hina but I got tired of it, it's just the same formula every episode-Keitaro lands himself in an awkward situation-Naru beats the crap out of him-Everyone's happy happy happy by the end of the episode.

Even if there never is a 2nd season, I'm loving the Haruhi-Chan videos they are putting up on YouTube.

There second season should be April, but dont get your hopes up because its been said many times and not happened. http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/03/07/h...-due-after-all/

Nurse Witch Komugi, I forgot her. I also started watching Giant Robo but got sidetracked. Also watched 1st episode fo TTGL aaages ago but got sidetracked, and same for Evangelion, Amatsuki and Eureka Seven. Watched a few episodes and either got sidetracked or bored.

Edited by Mollfie

Aw shit, I forgot about FLCL. That series is so badass no matter if you're into anime or not. Now if only Blur would give me my soundtracks back...

*HINT*

I'm currently watching:

THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA

(OH YEAH FO SHO I LOVE IT.

I also know the Hare Hare Yukai, both the song and the dance, and God Knows.)

Lucky Star

Sonic X

Animes I will watch:

Death Note

Fruit Basket

EDIT: Oh yeah, I will watch 'Air' as well.

Animes I have watched:

Pokemon

Digimon

Cardcaptors

Sailor Moon

Hamtaro (I mean c'mon, how can you NOT like Hamtaro!?)

Edited by Daisoku

Hamtaro (I mean c'mon, how can you NOT like Hamtaro!?)

I haven't seen Hamtaro in years, It's a shame they stopped airing it. Bijou is like the loli of the furry world.

I have a massively huge list of anime that I have watched or am watching but right now, however, I have watched

Gurren Laggan (or however it is spelled)

Flame of Recca (gotta love the oldies)

Black Lagoon (I loved this show so much)

I am also intending on watching Scrapped Princess when I have the time. It's just a matter of getting through it all.

My favourites include: Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh and most of the Studio Ghiblis (which I proudly own).

I'm currently reading Akira. I saw the movie for the first time last Tuesday and it was absolutely incredible. So, I've decided to read the manga, because the movie was really only a loose summary of the plot (which I forgive, seeing as there's over 2000 pages of the manga). I borrow it from the leisure library at uni and I'm currently at book 3. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Anything involving badass psychic powers is just my ticket. ;P

As for other anime/manga, I sorta went with the fads (Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic X, etc). So, it was really only the kiddy stuff. However, after watching (and reading) Akira, I'm thinking of getting more into the meatier stuff. Any suggestions as to what to read or see next?

Also, and does Interstella 5555 count as an anime? I know it was Daft Punk, but it was animated by Toei. Interstella 5555 is awesome. =F

Akira? KANEDA! TETSUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

as for other shows to watch.... whatever I guess. If something comes up multiple times in this topic it's generally pretty good.
REMZ' FAVOURITES

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fullmetal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Code Geass <- just to laugh at the ridiculous soap opera plot twist antics
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ghost In The Shell
Akira
Death Note

So yeah, nothing too obscure or fruity for me. I don't watch that often tbh.

Buy the current full boxset from Madman and the special edition broadcast order comes free with it... I was devo when I found out, collected all those smelly cards for nothing lol
No fuckin way! what assholes!

Should've just waited ey? would've been less effort.