Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Nice to know that we're finally getting started with the Whitebeard War and Thriller Bark, though we have to get past the rather meh filler arc first.

Funny you should mention that, I'm currently playing One Piece Pirate Warriors 2/Kaizoku Musou 2 and I'm currently tackling 3 of the New World Arcs, Punk Hazard, Thriller Bark and Whitebeard War right now.

what i'm confused about is when this is taking place since

Ace and Whitebeard died at Marineford

Is this like, a prequel or something? Or just an original game story? since the first game literally follows the story from Orange town all the way through to Marineford.

Haha! I am an EXPERT on Pirate Warriors 2!

It's a completely non canon story "What if?" Story that I guess takes place in an alternate timeline where the war doesn't happen and for some reason everyone fights Eneru when they already have their post timeskip looks and abilities.

So it has places like Punk Hazard/Marineford/Thriller Bark but they're not really there serving their plot related purpose. Punk Hazard for instance does not involve any part of the actual arc. The location is just in the game.

Fun game though.

So, don't take anything that happens in the game too seriously. Don't 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha good to know then, I was thinking... "fuck what the hell happened, why are all these characters still alive aaaaah" But the first game is totally canon, since it follows the events of the anime/manga so...

God damn why is Kuma such a piece of shit.

Shame, I was expecting Pirate Warrior's 2 to fill in the blanks for the first game, like Brook's story, or even adding missing Arc's like Captain Kuro, or Captain Morgan and Smoker, I'm kind of disappointed now ahaha...

For those keeping up with the Rosario + Vampire manga, yea its ending in two chapters in the February 2014 issue.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-27/rosario+vampire-season-ii-manga-ending-in-february

Can't say I'm surprised, the series is basically in its climax at its point. It was a fun run while it lasted, now if the ending doesn't suck I'll be satisfied.

tumblr_inline_mybsf50QE31rwegs5.gif

God damn I loved this movie, it was fluid and fun to watch these two come to life while the visuals and music was very appealing, even the side characters were as appealing as they were in the manga.

Saint Onii-san/Young Men was subbed earlier this month and I've already watched it a few times since then.

God damn I loved this movie, it was fluid and fun to watch these two come to life while the visuals and music was very appealing, even the side characters were as appealing as they were in the manga.

Saint Onii-san/Young Men was subbed earlier this month and I've already watched it a few times since then.

It was okay for me. While I agree with you about the humour and the art,  the pacing kinda ruined it for me- it´s reaaaaally slow. Like, I had to watch it at 3x speed because I was getting really bored lol

It was okay for me. While I agree with you about the humour and the art,  the pacing kinda ruined it for me- it´s reaaaaally slow. Like, I had to watch it at 3x speed because I was getting really bored lol

That's its typical speed in the manga as well, it's just something you pass off when you're familiar with the series.

So One Piece really seems to be setting up for a major wham episode. So much shit is happening at once right now.

Whoever it was that knocked out all the competitors clearly wasn't using Haki, though. Hm.

So, the second Gintama movie has been subtitled. Spoiler: It's fucking awesome. Easily the best anime film based on a Jump series I've ever seen, bar none and by a country mile.

The fact the manga author wrote and storyboarded the entire movie himself meant we didn't get any of the typical non-canon filler bullshit that most Jump anime movies so often are. This felt less like a pointless filler story crapped out for the sake of profiteering and more like a genuine part of the plot where he just didn't bother to animate it and jumped straight to the anime. 

The plot was interesting, clever and hilarious in equal measures. God damn I want to see it again already. D:

Sorachi has to be my favourite mangaka, I have so much respect for him. Gintama has been going for ten years and it's still brilliant overall. Not to say I don't still really enjoy Naruto overall either, but when your series is primarily a relatively episodic comedy, quality is much harder to maintain for extended periods of time without running out of ideas or coming up with bad ones. Also, when he wants to do a serious arc, he can often cram in more emotional depth and more badass action sequences in 5-8 episodes than his peers could in fifty. It's really such a shame that more people aren't familiar with Gintama outside of Japan, although I can understand why in that the series is a little too Japanese and weird to appeal to the non-Japanese mainstream.

N-noooooooooooooo

I literarily felt I a shudder run down my spine. I don't think I've made it a secret that I really hate SAO, I consider it one of the worst modern anime that I've personally sat through (though there was a brief period where i tried to defend it before coming to the realization) and after the travesty that was Fairy Dance I have no hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't be any worse than The Familiar of Zero.

Nothing can be worse than The Familiar of Zero.

Can't be any worse than The Familiar of Zero.

Nothing can be worse than The Familiar of Zero.

Oh please, I've seen anime that makes that show look golden. And not to defend it, but later seasons were actually better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh please, I've seen anime that makes that show look golden. And not to defend it, but later seasons were actually better.

Did any of them have characters that were either completely unlikable or just bland and repetitive, unfunny, one-note "humor", and pretend to give someone character development only to regress right back to where they started they very next episode?

Also, the later seasons being better means jack all to me. The first season was so intolerable I dropped it like 6 episodes in.

Meh, i haven't seen Zero no Tsukaima in a while. But Louise and Saito actually did progress into a decent relationship. Overall I'm not saying its good, but I am saying I've seen so much worse out of my ...sadly hundreds of hours of watching anime =_=

If I ever come across anything worse than TFoZ that isn't hilariously bad like Garzey's Wing I can't be held responsible for my actions.

If I ever come across anything worse than TFoZ that isn't hilariously bad like Garzey's Wing I can't be held responsible for my actions.

I'm sorry but you honestly have not seen terrible. :P

So I got the box set of Gatchaman, can't wait to see the entire original Sentai team that inspired Super Sentai/Power Rangers!

N-noooooooooooooo

I literarily felt I a shudder run down my spine. I don't think I've made it a secret that I really hate SAO, I consider it one of the worst modern anime that I've personally sat through (though there was a brief period where i tried to defend it before coming to the realization) and after the travesty that was Fairy Dance I have no hope.

The first half of Sword Art Online was decent, even if it didn't live up to the expectations the first few episodes set

Alfheim was awful tho

I don't know how this third act will be, but I don't think it  can get worse than Fairy Dance.

And I'm gonna keep telling myself that.

I've been reading Zelda manga lately, and I just can't get over how bland the Majora's Mask manga is. Where to begin with this manga? For starters, the story is barely an adaptation; it's a summary of the game. There is no focus given to the world of Termina really, and the individual plots are rushed, with no real character development to them. The only sidequest in the game that is given any attention is the Anju and Kafei sidequest, and that's at the cost of Ikana's development. Majora is the kind of game that isn't about a main plot, it is a lot like a road trip with a lot of sights to see and people to meet, while the main threat of the moon just remains a background threat. And it's good for that. You learn to love characters as you play the game and understand their problems, and feel more of a connection to them. It's like watching an old adventure TV series, you see all these characters along the way and love them, even if they make no conscious appearance in the main story.

This manga is totally in the wrong mindset on how to handle the game, and I just find that so frustrating. 

The art is also unfitting to the setting of Termina. It's the same artists who drew the Ocarina manga and they don't make any conscious effort to change up their style for the new game and new themes. 

For starters, take a look at the artwork for the Happy Mask Salesman:

Mask_Salesman.jpg

He looks like an utter doof; a complete dork trying to pretend he is intimidating with his mischief. (Which was implied in the game, but he doesn't even try to hide himself in this manga.) And a lot of this comes from how weak the lighting is around him. The lighting is just too soft to get across anything threatening. 

Now compare him to his official artwork

931882-happymasksalesman003.jpg

Ignoring the fact this is colored, see the huge contrast in lighting. Majora is a game that is twisted and weird with it's oddities, and the official artwork reflects this, by having incredibly strong shadows covering a good deal of his body. This manga is just so boring with its design-work and just feels like a retread of Ocarina's, but in Ocarina, this artwork worked because that was more of your standard adventure. 

The writing is also ridiculous. If it's not one anime cliche after another, it's a wall of exposition and rushed dialogue. 

*Sigh* Even if I want to tear this manga a new one, I can at least give it certain points. It shows promise during the early chapters when it starts fairly unconventionally, and the little extra chapter at the end is, interesting to say the least. Also, they did a good job designing the bosses (only for them to be killed in less than a few panels). 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeeeeah, even years ago when I got that manga I realized how poorly paced and rushed it was. I think the best Zelda mangas I read this far is the Oracle Adaptations, because they actually try to tell a story rather then just quickly go through all the main bullet points of the game.

• Thumbs Up 4