Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So I started watching this.

*almost naked lolis saving the world*

I remember seeing like promo art for this on /a/ and it looked interesting for the most part. I didn't know what to expect and what I got was some loli going to take over the world. Nothing is really explained other than she's supposedly from a secret society and she and her minions have powers. I wanna see where this goes.

Oh and General Pepel and Lady Plamya are the best characters already. I'm watching it for them.

First episode bored me to hell. I have yet to see the second one but I don´t feel like watching it haha.

The designs are pretty cute, though i´m not a pedo i swear

--

About FMA...eeeeh Brotherhood is very good, since it follows the manga storyline, but I always recommend to read the original source. Better art, pacing, less fillers, etc. 

I actually liked the FMA:B movie. 

New One Piece opening, both for the Dressrosa arc and celebrating the 15th anniversary of the anime (arc spoiler warnings if you care about that sorta thing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0unKWI5WZg

Pretty catchy, I like how it's another fast-paced song, it's also nice to see stuff from the current arc in color.

/Much/ better the the rather bland "Hands Up". Though I'm surprised they're getting into the arc already considering we are possibly halfway through Dessorosa in the manga.

Hmm, another bit of promo material working up Akainu as a Midboss/Final Boss type character (other than well, Blackbeard who was shown pretty prominently)

I keep forgetting because of how sidetracked the timeskip made everyone, but I guess he's probably the biggest of the bad marines now. I wonder how his eventual showdown with the strawhats will pan out.

I can't see Luffy not destroying him after what he did to Ace and Whitebeard, I don't think Luffy will sit back and relax until he avenges his brother, despite moving on in his passing, that and Akainu is possibly one of the most corrupt marines our there, he's pretty much too powerful for anyone to disagree with his twisted justice high.

What about Kizaru though?

Hmm, really wonder how they're going to handle animated Dressrosa, either there's going to be a lot of filler or some added expansion.

As for the opening itself, I almost forgot Fujitora was an admiral. This probably means Akainu is going to make his Post-Time Skip debut soon. I really doubt Luffy is powerful enough to take him yet, he might get a good hit or two, but not be able to beat him outright at this point.

Well, I finally watched the first episodes of all the anime I thought might be worth watching this season.  My comments:

Buddy Complex: Mecha, time travel, and I don't recall it offending me even once?  That's worth continuing for.

Chuunibyou 2: More of the same, on first appearances - boisterous physical comedy, deilberately style-over-substance fantasy sequences, and protagonists who actually appear to have believeable emotions.  If you watched the first series, you'll probably watch this.

Magical Warfare: Knew I'd drop it within the first five minutes, and the rest of the episode only confirmed it.

Nobunaga the Fool: Considering that it features colourfully-dressed reincarnations of historical characters along with some kind of magical destiny plotline and giant mecha, this is really rather bland.

Nobunagun: Glamourisation of Jack the Ripper aside, this is pretty lively stuff and actually appears to be having fun with its reincarnation premise, unlike its fellow Nobunaga title above.

Pupa: Only four minutes long, seriously?  And it's a horribly rushed four minutes, too, in addition to an art style that I like in theory but which is rather scrappily executed.

Strange+: Only three and a half minutes long, seriously?  Also, while it's probably my fault that I didn't pick up that it was a comedy and thought it was a genuine detective show, it's not actually funny at all, which is damning.  The best I can say about it is that it's not rushed like Pupa, not that anyone could plausibly wish to see more of it.

The Pilot's Love Song: Seems pretty decent at first flush.  Okay, I'll bite.

Witch Craft Works: Knew I'd drop it within the first five minutes, and the rest of the episode only confirmed it.

Wizard Barristers: With two out of three magician-based shows this season falling between lame and terrible, my expectations were rock-bottom - but, barring some reservations largely tied to the irritating and redundant mascot character, this was surprisingly good.  I'd probably rather watch a show about the two police officer characters, though.

Wow the Nisekoi anime actually looks pretty good. Looks exactly like the manga, which is good because the art style isn't half bad. But to share my first impression from the status updates:

"GODDAMN IT THEY WASTED THE GOOD LOOKING ANIME BUDGET ON NISEKOI. GODDAMN IT. IT STARTED OFF OK BUT QUICKLY BECAME HAREM SHIT"

Uh yeah the quality of the manga plummeted pretty damn quick. Like most harem related stuffs. Hopefully the anime stops after, like what, the 5th chapter? Although they might've overdid it with the effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you, Waffle. I really liked Nisekoi until the plot started going nowhere. It´s a shame, really.

I don´t like the anime adaptation, though. I agree that the artstyle is very nice, but the first-person shots and the ankward poses are kinda killing it for me.

I really liked Shaft´s work on Madoka and Monogatari, since the shots worked well, but in Nisekoi it just seems off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The latest episode of SAO that aired on Toonami really did get everyone nuts on Twitter that day. I've not seen the episode, but it seems like kinda par the course for anime with fanservice.

The latest episode of SAO that aired on Toonami really did get everyone nuts on Twitter that day. I've not seen the episode, but it seems like kinda par the course for anime with fanservice.

Is it post Episode 15?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhnrgq9bc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8jg5j6ds-k

Feels. Also I feel like the whole voice cast is just getting better and better with each arc. Wanted to hear these scenes dubbed forever.

Edit: looks like the vids were removed it looks like...

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone else here a fan of Lupin III?

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It was one of the first anime, and the second series is absolutely perfect. 

Anyway, my first anime was probably Dragonball. I would sneak downstairs to watch it after 8 because my parents didn't like me watching it. After that, Pokemon came around. I would ocassionally watch Sailor Moon, too.

The first anime I REALLY got into was Inuyasha. Went through a hardcore weaboo phase, running around screaming kawaii and whatnot. 

Eugh,

Miyazaki says the problem with anime is that its full of Otakus. Agree or not? I personally do, and mainly because I don't consider myself Otaku by any means whatsoever. These days it is hard for me to find an anime thats actually worth a damn. Like less and less interesting shows are coming out. Sometimes when there is one, it ruined by excessive fan service (where most of the animation budget and frames go, sadly) and weak plots. Humanizing is also becoming less aparent. But of course these are all preferences. And people wonder why alot of my favorite shows are stuff from like 10 - 15 years ago. 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

Agreed. The Otaku culture can be terrifying at times. Plus, the over sexualized characters need to stop. I understand that it sells, but it's just uncomfortable once you realize that the majority of these sexualized characters are quite young. 

Take Asuka from Evangelion as an example. She's 14. She's a high schooler. Despite her being underage there is so many official artwork of her in provocative poses. There are even figures of her like this. Both her and Rei. It all becomes hilarious though, once you realize that the creator of Eva hates otakus and basically used Eva to piss them off. 

Otakus are terrifying. Weaboos are terrifying. The stigma associated with them is why I feel embarrassed to call myself an anime fan. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I use Crunchyroll as an anime provider, and browse their news page for updates on upcoming anime, but I am continually surprised and disappointed by the sheer quantity of extremely sleazy and frequently paedophile-targeted merchandise they feel it necessary to plug.  The anime industry seems to have almost entirely sold itself to the purveyors of oversexualised character images; either they can't survive without it, which is depressing, or they're glutting themselves on the profits from it, which is irresponsible.  And I agree, it is a huge obstacle to my willingness to consider myself an "anime fan" (in the same way that I'm, say, a literature fan?).  I think it's reasonable to consider oneself a fan of certain anime but by no means of the broader medium and its paratexts; I can count on the fingers of one hand the anime I would be willing to recommend to someone who doesn't know or care for the medium, not because there aren't others which are okay, but because there are so few that wouldn't give an outsider the wrong impression.

• Thumbs Up 2

Miyazaki says the problem with anime is that its full of Otakus. Agree or not? I personally do, and mainly because I don't consider myself Otaku by any means whatsoever. These days it is hard for me to find an anime thats actually worth a damn. Like less and less interesting shows are coming out. Sometimes when there is one, it ruined by excessive fan service (where most of the animation budget and frames go, sadly) and weak plots. Humanizing is also becoming less aparent. But of course these are all preferences. And people wonder why alot of my favorite shows are stuff from like 10 - 15 years ago. 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

The article was poorly translated.

He says the animators aren't watching how real humans move anymore and it's destroying the anime, trying to cater towards otaku to pop out anime quick enough to please them without actually thinking of quality.

Otakus are terrifying. Weaboos are terrifying. The stigma associated with them is why I feel embarrassed to call myself an anime fan. 

Hello, Hi. yo, *waves hands* I'm an otaku and probably one of the most down to earth, "normal" people you could ever imagine to meet, so this statement is both laughable and insulting to the culture when you're basically labelling something you don't have a clue about, as a bad thing and just following what the negative side of the Otakubase brings (which is heavily out weighed by decent people who just like anime and it's merchandise, ala me).

Miyazaki is a fool then, because without the otaku's who lap his shit up, anime wouldn't be a popular nor as profitable as it is this day in age, and he wouldn't be sitting pretty in his position right now without his consumer base, so that statement is also laughable too.

I semi-agree with having to wade through all the shit anime to find something decent, but it's the same with any media really, but not all anime is shit that comes out... i.e. Attack on Titan, One Piece is still going strong, Beyond the Boundary, hell Space Dandy too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Miyazaki is a fool then

Read what I said.

Also not too sure whether you're taking the American definition of otaku (big anime fan) over the Japanese definition (shut-in obsessive anime fan) because otaku in Japan are pretty terrifying.

I'm more of a "anime fan" but even so, without Otaku in Japan, Anime simply wouldn't sell like it does right now.

I don't mind some Fan service in the sense that it doesn't ruin the show. Is that too much to ask? I say this for shows that start with great premises. Thankfully, there are shows that can provide some interest. Not as much as before but nonetheless. Of course, when we think about it overall, that stuff is real popular over there in japan. Meh. It's whatever I suppose, I have been getting into a phase where I don't even watch as much as I used to.

I'm more of a "anime fan" but even so, without Otaku in Japan, Anime simply wouldn't sell like it does right now.

Without otaku in Japan, there wouldn't be so much crap.

An average of 50 anime get made each season. Picking out the ones that aren't harem or fan-service is very hard.

Otaku aren't anime fan. Otaku aren't what drives sales in regards to what Miyazaki does.

Otaku are obsessed with a hobby (not necessarily anime- train otaku are common, it seems).The industry being full of them IS bad. It's having everything wrong with the Western Comics industry (a canniballistic bunch of references where adult fanboys write about the comics they read as kids instead of drawing from varied sources), plus 20.

This is not a new opinion from Miyazaki either. Go watch the making off of Spirited Away, you'll see his shock all the same at seeing animators who've never even had a dog or observed one with attention.

EDIT: Or this classic image.

ILoveWatchingAnime.jpg