Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

This topic has really dropped off, hasn't it? I'm hoping we can revitalize it a little next season. Seems like aside from the shows big enough to spawn their own communities (KLK, Space Dandy) there wasn't a whole lot to watch this season. 

I still want to check out Samurai Flamenco when I get the time though. And Hunter X Hunter's adaptation is still excellent.

Anyone else really amped for the continuation of JoJo next week? I've been reading part 3 over again in anticipation. The one liners are still amazing. If only Jotaro threw out gold like this more often. 

qxPUwqO.png

Reading it reminds me of why I love this series so much. You really can't beat the combination of action/horror/comedy you get here. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't even finished part 1, really need to catch up haha.

Sure do! Don't blame you if you're having some trouble reading through part 1 though. Apart from Dio's amazing pretty-much-comical evil and some of the dramatic speeches it's kind of a slog at times. I think the end battle makes up for it though and Part 2 is absolutely fantastic and worth getting up to. 

• Thumbs Up 2

anohana3_2741.jpg

So I just spent my night watching this 11 episode anime titled "Anohana" and wow it was….a roller coaster of emotions to say the least...

So this kid named Jintan is haunted by the spirit of a little girl who died when he (and a bunch of other friends) was just a kid, the little girl is named Menma and the crux of the show is to find what her wish is (which she can't exactly remember) so she can go to heaven. First order of business is Jintan rekindling his relationship with the close friends (who were all apart of a secret group called the "Super Peace Busters") he's drifted apart from over the years since Menma's death (which is five). And from then on the show goes into how people deal with deaths differently and the way some characters feel and act towards it is rather well written. As a result there are some really emotional moments and depending on how strong you are emotionally, may or may not activate your tear reflex. So yeah, it's only 11 episodes so it's really not that long of a watch, I recommend it.

Oh, Anohana. I've heard about this anime so much, but I can never find it anywhere. How did you watch it Soniman? I've been dying to see that series for months!

Oh, Anohana. I've heard about this anime so much, but I can never find it anywhere. How did you watch it Soniman? I've been dying to see that series for months!

It's all viewable on Crunchyroll.

Aaand it's not available in my country. *sigh* I guess my only way of watching it is by buying it. $47 is how much the series is going for now. Not sure if it's worth it, especially knowing the price will bump up thanks to shipping costs and import fees. sleep.png

I dunno if there are any Madoka fans on the board, but if you like your depressing magical girl animes, then I highly recommend "Daybreak Illusion" to you, it's only 14 episodes long but it's another dark toned magic girl series that follows a group of girls that wield tarot cards that give them their powers. They kill Daemonia's which are demons that have taken over the soul of a human in exchange for granting them a wish, however there is no way to save the human who offered their soul, and the only way to kill the Daemonia is to kill the human who was possessed, but in doing so alters the world and memories of the people that knew that person, and making as though they never existed.

Even in the first episode they lay it on you thick with the main girl killing her cousin in cold blood in her bedroom, it's just incredibly depressing stuff and it gets worse as it goes on, but holy shit is it a good show. So if you liked Madoka please give it a shot!

anohana3_2741.jpg

So I just spent my night watching this 11 episode anime titled "Anohana" and wow it was….a roller coaster of emotions to say the least...

Ohhh I know this one! It's been in my animu watch list for ages. I think there's a movie out too, which is basically the final episode of the series.

Up one Space☆Dandy soundtrack CD, with a free Dandy sticker which I ordered from CDJapan, arrived within a week of dispatch.

YcjAkAu.jpg

Alrighty, so I managed to find Anohana online. I found it by this subbing group called Deadfish. And I swear it was the only way of watching the show. Seriously, I'm surprised by how hard it is to find this series online. Anyway, my thoughts? Amazing. One of, if not the best anime I've ever watched. No, scratch that. This isn't an anime. It's an experience. 

I went in thinking that okay, it's gonna be a little sad, sure, and I might enjoy it. Oh man, once I saw the first episode I was hooked. No seriously, I watched the entire series in one day. Yeah. So, let me just say that Soniman was right in the sense that it is an emotional rollercoaster. But I only agree on that for the first few episodes. I found around episodes 4? I think and 7 there wasn't much of a happy or sad feeling. But once the 8th episode came, it hit me. It hit me hard. And if I'll be honest, the first episode even made me tear up a little. It's stange. I was never one to cry thanks to a series or movie. I mean, I didn't cry when Bambi or Mufassa died. I didn't cry with Toy Story 3's ending. But this show. This show. It tore my heart in a billion pieces, put it in a shredder, and chopped it up some more.

How do I describe this series? It's sad. It's quite depressing in fact. I mean, I was bawling during the last episode. Like, seriously. This isn't a series I'd say is for fun or for laughs. This is quite the emotional trip. This show takes you on a feely feeltrip to Feeladelphia. But, you know, I've been describing it as quite the sad series, but let me tell you, there is a happy ending. However, it will probably make you cry. 

It's just that the characters are all so realistic. Both their emotions and the way they deal with their life is so believable, it really makes an impact. On top of that, all the voice actors did a stupendous job showing just the right amount of emotion in their roles. It's outstanding. Thinking back, I almost can't believe just how good this series is. I mean, when you read the plot it sounds a bit ridiculous, but it works. It works really well. Let me tell you guys, there is gonna be at least a character you can relate to in this series and that just tugs your heartstrings even more. I mean this in the best way possible. 

I just can't stop gushing over how much I love this series and how good the writing and voice acting is. The animation even is pretty damn good too. Do I recommend it? Hell yes. It's a very character driven (I think that's the term) kind of story and I don't really know what else to say. Just watch this damn fine show, will ya? It's one helluva experience.

Bonus Little Note:

I honestly have no idea why I bawled my eyes out while watching this series. It was the first time in my entire life I had cried thanks to some sort of media. Perhaps I had tears bottled up? Or maybe I just cried because I could honestly relate to one of the characters in a way? Not sure what it was but it definitely was something new for me and although those tears came from feeling sadness, I still think they were good tears. By that I mean that I cried because of how good the series was and how good they had all the events set up as well as the character acts. It's mind boggling really. Every time I go back and think of a sad scene in this series, tears just come flowing back. It's quite powerful material and I mean, however worked on this series deserves an award if they haven't gotten one yet. This is definitely up there in terms of my favorite series and I hope to one day obtain it in my collection. 

Now, I haven't seen the movie as of yet, but if people say it's the last episode (the saddest one oh my goodness) I really want to watch it and probably will in the next day or week depending on how much free time I have. And after watching this series, I have the urge to look up more depressing/sad/emotional anime. I'll definitely give Daybreak Illusion a chance next as well as Clannad. Hopefully they'll be around the same quality as Anohana. But honestly, after watching this series, I doubt there will be anything that will top it for me, but hey, who knows? I may be surprised. Seriously, though, if anyone knows any anime that have a similar emotional level as Anohana, tell me! 

TL;DR: This series is one helluva emotional experience. And I love it because of that.

The latest one piece chapter is MINDBOGGLING:

Doflamingo gets his head cut off!

>Believing he's actually dead

We never got confirmation that he

isn't made of life fibers a logia type, you know.

of course I don't believe he's dead; this is One Piece. I'm just interested in how Oda's gonna explain this.

Regarding the latest chapter of the Hunter x Hunter 2011 anime...

aORmoA3.jpg

Damn...That's some creepypasta material there...

Regarding the latest chapter of the Hunter x Hunter 2011 anime...

aORmoA3.jpg

Damn...That's some creepypasta material there...

The Darksign brands the undead...

Anyway recently I went on one of those weird old anime kicks where I try and figure out why something exists or what the heck it is.  In this case, I was trying to figure out what Ultimate Muscle was and why the main character's signature move looked like it was about as likely to harm him as his opponent.    

Starting with Ultimate Muscle itself, it was clear pretty quickly that this was a 4Kids dub.  Interestingly, rather than completely obliterate "Kid Muscle"'s japanese name, they more or less call him by both depending on what character it is.  For whatever reason they renamed the show's signature move the "Butt Buster" for the first few episodes and then switch it back in an offhand narration part way through an episode a bit into the first arc.  I guess the owners of the franchise got on them about it.  

So Ultimate Muscle is more or less a "The Next Generation" show of a show that never came out in America, called Kinniku Man, translator's note: Kinniku means muscle.  If the first few episodes of that are anything to go by, a 4Kids dub was honestly all Ultimate Muscle really needed in order to really live up to the original.  Hugely scatterbrained, almost as much as this post.  

So for some reason a common thread to both shows is that the main character is frequently ineffective.  In the original, it seems as though he's usually kinda just bad at what he does.  And sometimes flies by farting.  That's about the level we're working with.  In Kinnuku Man TNG (which I'm calling it for fun) he main character is a coward and also hugely lazy in spite of actually seeming to be pretty good at fighting even when he isn't hulked out.  This quickly becomes annoying as the main character seems to be continuously trying to prevent the plot from developing.  

So funny thing is that back in the 80's the crappy little Kinniku Man toys came out in America under the name "M.U.S.C.L.E." which for your sake and mine, I'm not going to explain that acronym.  The toys themselves basically weren't painted, just these little pink guys with no joints.  Pretty sure that's what they were in Japan as well.  

I'm not sure how this show really became much of a classic to get a sequel series.  Anyway, there is an interesting detail about it:  There's a character names "Sunshine" who looks almost identical to "Golden Lightan", someone who anyone who actually bought TvC should know.  As far as I can tell, these two characters share a common inspiration: some building in Japan.  This post is a monstrosity by now.  

Koe no Katachi 32 is out

Only on page 2 and 

Wow. "You decieved us, we didn't know you were going to give birth to a deaf kid". This manga doesn't pull any punches, damn

Koe no Katachi 32 is out

Only on page 2 and 

Wow. "You decieved us, we didn't know you were going to give birth to a deaf kid". This manga doesn't pull any punches, damn

No kidding....just when you think nobody else in this manga can be a scumbag...

1097146_770640442955415_1969151550_o.jpg

So I got done watching this show yesterday called "Nagi no Asukara" and this may be one of my new favorite anime series. The first couple episodes started off slow and kinda uninteresting but then it picks up in levels that I wouldn't have even imagined. It's probably the best show I've seen from this decade (in my opinion.)

Koe no Katachi 32 is out

Only on page 2 and 

Horrible isn't it? ;-; How could someone who is your family do something like that? There's some very sad moments in this manga, wonder how many more there are left? I hope there's a happy ending!

That didn't actually make me sad, though I was a pretty pissed by their reactions and wanted to physically harm a fictitious old prick. tongue.png

Anyway, saw the first episode of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Lovely lovely lovely,  I've recently gotten into the Jojo series and I quite enjoy it.