Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Ah. Glad to hear other people are watching Mekakucity Actors. Judging by the opening, this'll get much farther than the manga is currently. Also, yeah its confusing. Really.

If things follow the manga correctly, everyone gets shot dead by a genetically disturbed boy, but apparently there's a time reversal or some shit.

edit:

Thank god for otakus

"So they're stuck in the 'Heat Haze' as mentioned in Chapter 22.

And basically..
You're probably gonna see them die over and over.
It's a Loop in the timeline because Marry is resetting time. (Chapter 9.5)
Its kind of hard to explain the full details so I reccomend you listento the songs.
If you google Kagerou Project Wiki you'll find the order of the songs ^^"

Mightv'e been a spoiler, but this helps alot.

So, I'm on an oldschool anime binge, and I decided to take a look at a classic.

Kirby-Right-Back-At-Ya-Episode-1-English

I know this show is simply infamous for being tied to 4kids and their dub work, but I think people may have just overreacted because of who was dubbing it, because this is a pretty good dub that matches the silly nature of the original show. 

The show makes it no secret that it has nothing to do with the games that it is based on, only lightly taking characters and enemies from the games and putting their own spin on things. For instance, King Dedede is an outright villain in this series (albeit a silly one) instead of just the occasional bully. Kirby is made into a baby, when in the games his age has never really been stated. And that doesn't even touch upon all the random enemies from the games who have been transformed into allies or the occasional Monster of the Week.

The basic premise is that Kirby is a creature called a Star Warrior who combs the galaxy, saving people from monsters. And that's what brings him to the kingdom of Dreamland on the planet of Pop Star. As it turns out, the selfish King Dedede is torturing the citizens of the nearby town by summoning monsters from the evil corporation known as, Nightmare Enterprises (or Holy Nightmare if you really want to call it that). But Kirby shows up to put a stop to King Dedede's mischief and NME's evil. And from that premise it's pretty much 100 episodes of silly plots with the occasional sprinkle of drama.

So how does this show stand out from the games? Pretty good I must say. Like the games it's based on, it focuses little on ongoing plot and more on having as much fun as possible, and while there is a plot and conclusion, it takes a backseat to the random adventures of Kirby and friends. Each episode is basically, Dedede summons a monster, Kirby beats monster, rinse and repeat. But the fun part is seeing how that formula twists and turns each and every day with the nitty gritty details. Each monster proves to be unique in it's own special little way that doesn't just affect how Kirby battles it, but the whole premise of an episode, leading to really fun situations where you wonder how Kirby will handle the next issue. 

And when it comes to animation, this show has some really great rubbery animation. The characters move and flow almost seemlessly in a way most other Japanese shows don't, but this came at a really ugly sacrifice too. There is a lot of obvious CGI in this show; and I mean REEEEEAAAAALLLY obvious. There are times when you are just gritting your teeth at how bad some of it is. All the same, it was needed to keep costs low and have the 2D animation look as good as it could. So just grit your teeth and bear it I say.

Now onto the part you've all been waiting for; what do I have to say on the dub? 

I think it's good too. 

Now hold on, I know 4kids has been seen as the devil of dubbing in the past, but I'd like to think this mostly from the bad word of mouth brought on by their treatment of other shows like One Piece, and for that reason, good shows like this aren't acknowledged as much. All people ever focus on is the edits involved in the dub, but I'd actually like to point out that there are almost zero to no edits in this show at all. Sure, one episode involving Kirby with a gun had to be cut out, and death cannot be mentioned directly but aside from that this show is light on the edits. All of Kirby's enemies are seen blowing up in the end with no crap about, "I guess he's been sent back to the nightmare dungeon" or stuff like that, and all of Kirby's enemies clearly intend to kill him too. None of 4kids infamous word edits are seen in this dub either, with most words just being left alone. Alcoholic drinks have been left pretty much untouched as well which was the real big shocker to me. Bloody wounds are left alone too. Hell, even Japanese culture has been left untouched, with characters using chopsticks at many points for eating.

As for the script; it has next to nothing in common with the Japanese script. The jokes are pretty much rewritten, the darker stuff is toned down, but you know what, I'm fine with that. This is a comedy first and foremost, and a lot of that does not translate well into English. For starters, King Dedede says zoi at the end of all his sentences, and in Japan that is funny and endearing, but in the States that shtick would be considered annoying very fast. Now it's true, there are a crap load of puns in this show, but it isn't like other 4kids shows where the puns just sort of disrupt the mood, (like One Piece), and instead are used just for the sake of being corny which I found to be really endearing with some of the voices 4kids used. 

On the topic of the voices; there seem to be only 6 actors working on this show, as you pretty much hear the same group time and time again. However, the voices used for this show are pretty well done. My favorites are Dedede and his stooge Escargoon. They give Dedede this southern accent, mocking George Bush, and to hear that voice coming out of a giant blue penguin leaves me in stitches the whole time. And Escargoon gets this Paul Lynde impersonation which just leaves you just dying of laughter. Half the dialogue he spits is a pun with the occasional gay innuendo and I can't help but laugh. 

My only gripe voice wise would be Metaknights *snicker* Spanish accent. The voice makes me laugh too, but that seems less because they intended it to be funny and more on accident. However, the Metaknight in this show is so different from his game counterpart that I can live with the weird voice.

Then comes the 4kids music. I actually think the 4kids dub has some pretty good music tracks which get pretty epic at times, and sometimes even better than the Japanese version. (I just find the Japanese track a little too mellow at times.) But overall, neither track was anything special.

So overall, I find this dub to be pretty good, and implore you guys to give it another look at. Almost all the episodes can be found on youtube, since the DVDs never finished printing in the end. Check it out; it's a good casual chuckle. 

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm watching Infinite Stratos...

Seeing as I'm unfamiliar with how the anime fanbase works... I'm unsure whether or not I'm supposed to say it's stupid or it's awesome... sooo...

I'm watching Infinite Stratos.

So, I'm on an oldschool anime binge, and I decided to take a look at a classic.

Kirby-Right-Back-At-Ya-Episode-1-English

I loved this show. I used to lurk the Kirby's Rainbow Resort forums, and the people there HATED the 4kids dub, constantly bashing it and saying it's inferior and constantly making it out to be as bad as the One Piece dub, saying stuff like they should have kept the japanese verbal tics, the music being too loud, and cutting out scenes. Personally, I didn't get it's hate. I actually thought this was one of the better dubs 4kids did and I really don't see how Dedede saying 'Zoi' at the end of each sentence would be so endearing in English. Sure they made some weird decisions (Such as renaming Lololo and Lalala to Fololo and Falala, and Nightmare to EnEmE.) but I think it was an overall nice dub. Dedede's voice is probably my favorite portayal of him. 

It aired when I was 12, and I was so hyped for it. It definitely captures the spirit of the games pretty well, and keeping Kirby as a silent protagonist by making him a baby was actually a brilliant idea in the end, as him being such a young age helps show how he grows up throughout the course of the series. I also found the backstory of Meta Knight to be fascinating, what with him being a part of an almost Jedi-esque group called the Star Warriors.

This show was a lot darker than the games, and at times even sad. Two episodes that stick out to me are the Chilly and the Robot dog episode, both of whom befriend Kirby and end up dying in the end. (Which, 4kids did not edit out, a little surprising, considering their track record of deaths in shows.)

But yeah, I loved this show as a kid.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't watched all of the Kirby anime, but the few episodes I have seen were enjoyable! It's cute and while it has its darker moments it's still faithful to the videogames. Unlike a certain other anime based on a videogame character. *coughcoughSonicXcoughcough*

As for the dub...it's okay. Certainly not as bad as One Piece but it had its flaws. Changing the names of Lololo and Lalala really bothered me and Eric Stuart's voice for Metaknight is hilarious (I wish he voiced Metaknight in Brawl!) it was soooo unfitting for the badass. However, the dub had its funny moments and Dedede's dub voice is hilarious, but in a good way. So yah, it wasn't awful but I wouldn't call it great either.

I haven't watched all of the Kirby anime, but the few episodes I have seen were enjoyable! It's cute and while it has its darker moments it's still faithful to the videogames. Unlike a certain other anime based on a videogame character. *coughcoughSonicXcoughcough*

As for the dub...it's okay. Certainly not as bad as One Piece but it had its flaws. Changing the names of Lololo and Lalala really bothered me and Eric Stuart's voice for Metaknight is hilarious (I wish he voiced Metaknight in Brawl!) it was soooo unfitting for the badass. However, the dub had its funny moments and Dedede's dub voice is hilarious, but in a good way. So yah, it wasn't awful but I wouldn't call it great either.

The darker moments really catch you off guard don't they? It's not like Dark Matter and his gang weren't bad enough, they have to pull a dead pet episode in this show. (I can't believe 4kids even let that slide.)

When you think of it the Metaknight of this show really didn't have as many badass moments as his game counterpart. Most of what he would do is show up to give some exposition and stand there with his cape folded the whole time, even when running to places he'd have his cape folded. And he has more of those, "let's make fun of the stoic one" moments than his game counterpart did.

Though I'd love to hear Dedede's voice come back to be the permanent Dedede actor, because that voice is too funny. Sakurai's voice is fine, but... who can't love weapons of mass Dededestruction? 

• Thumbs Up 1

When you think of it the Metaknight of this show really didn't have as many badass moments as his game counterpart. Most of what he would do is show up to give some exposition and stand there with his cape folded the whole time, even when running to places he'd have his cape folded. And he has more of those, "let's make fun of the stoic one" moments than his game counterpart did.

Yeahhh, I noticed this too even in the few eps I watched. Does he ever fly in the anime? Does his cape even turn into wings at any point in the series? D: That's what he's best known for man!

Yeahhh, I noticed this too even in the few eps I watched. Does he ever fly in the anime? Does his cape even turn into wings at any point in the series? D: That's what he's best known for man!

Nope, not once. He will open his cape, and it's just a normal cape. His sword isn't as badass looking in this show either.

And now I spend some time looking for 70's and 80's mecha to try seeing as Escaflowne and Transformers Armada seem to be the only more recent ones to not bore me. Are Macross and Golion (uncut Voltron) worth checking out?

And now I spend some time looking for 70's and 80's mecha to try seeing as Escaflowne and Transformers Armada seem to be the only more recent ones to not bore me. Are Macross and Golion (uncut Voltron) worth checking out?

Macross is pretty definite try. Golion, not so much.

I was originally just gonna watch "Love Live S2" this season but a few series sparked my interest. A friend recommended "No Game, No Life" and I've seen it's quite popular with people. So I'll be checking that one out to see what the fuss is all about. "Black Bullet" also caught my attention with it's beautiful animation style. Not sure what it's even about though. So if anyone has seen it, I'd like to know if it's worth watching. And another particular show caught my attention via a Tumblr post, "Lady Jewelpet". According to some it's a lot like Pretty Cure, and since I enjoy that series, I think I may hop onto "Jewelpet". It's also the series' 5th anniversary, so hey, what better time to join than now eh? From what I've seen so far the OP is catchy as hell and the visuals are super cute. I'm kind of a sucker for anime series with a cute art style. tongue.png

I only watched a few episodes of the Kirby anime, but there was one I absolutely loved, I don´t know its name but it was the one where Silica made her first appearance. I loved her character, and the Galaxia story was nice too.

I also remember an episode about global warming, mostly because Metaknight was dressed as a penguin and it was the cutest. thing. ever

sheeeeeesh now I need to watch the complete thing /downloads 

I've been trying out quite a few of the new anime that have aired this season, and one that I'm not seeing much chatter about is M3: The Dark Metal, which is a sort of psychological horror / mecha thing.  It's quite strange and atmospheric, and I'm quite enjoying it as something a little bit off the beaten track.  The main character is boring, of course, just like the vast majority of anime male main characters, but the rest of the main cast are delightfully weird and they make up for him.  I'm particularly enjoying a character who reminds me of Tomoko from Watamote.

Nope, not once. He will open his cape, and it's just a normal cape. His sword isn't as badass looking in this show either.

That's one of my gripes about the Kirby anime. I really wish they had made Metaknight as bad ass as he was in the games. I do agree about those dark moments catching you off guard though. Overall, I loved the Kirby anime. It had its cute and funny moments too.

As for the dub, I thought it was ok. While it wasn't the worst coming out of 4kids, it could have been better. I agree with Gabz that both Metaknight's and DeeDeeDee's voices were hilarious in the dub.

Ugh I hate that the fansub group never finished putting out the Kirby series. And then some of the remaining episodes were picked up but the video quality was much lower and even divided into parts, probably because they were ripped from YouTube.

Someone really needs to finish that anime from where the old fansub team left off.

Ugh I hate that the fansub group never finished putting out the Kirby series. And then some of the remaining episodes were picked up but the video quality was much lower and even divided into parts, probably because they were ripped from YouTube.

Someone really needs to finish that anime from where the old fansub team left off.

Same thing happened with Keroro Gunso. Thing is there are alot of smaller name fansubbers that do subs that don't get alot of attention. Don't know about Kirby, but I think it's worth a Google.

I was originally just gonna watch "Love Live S2" this season but a few series sparked my interest. A friend recommended "No Game, No Life" and I've seen it's quite popular with people. So I'll be checking that one out to see what the fuss is all about. "Black Bullet" also caught my attention with it's beautiful animation style. Not sure what it's even about though. So if anyone has seen it, I'd like to know if it's worth watching. And another particular show caught my attention via a Tumblr post, "Lady Jewelpet". According to some it's a lot like Pretty Cure, and since I enjoy that series, I think I may hop onto "Jewelpet". It's also the series' 5th anniversary, so hey, what better time to join than now eh? From what I've seen so far the OP is catchy as hell and the visuals are super cute. I'm kind of a sucker for anime series with a cute art style. tongue.png

I don't see Mekakucity Actors in that post. You should watch that to, it gets pretty awesome the further you get (been reading the manga for a while now).

Black Bullet is also a good series which I have been following for a while. I was actually pretty disappointed with the artsyle. The manga has a really interesting style, it's really a shame on how the anime butchered some character designs even compared to the light novels. Otherwise it's excellent, yeah I recommend it.

The main character's design from the manga vs anime.

Rentaro_explains_the_properties_of_his_bRentaro_spots_Sumiaki.png

I don't see Mekakucity Actors in that post. You should watch that to, it gets pretty awesome the further you get (been reading the manga for a while now).

Black Bullet is also a good series which I have been following for a while. I was actually pretty disappointed with the artsyle. The manga has a really interesting style, it's really a shame on how the anime butchered some character designs even compared to the light novels. Otherwise it's excellent, yeah I recommend it.

The main character's design from the manga vs anime.

Rentaro_explains_the_properties_of_his_bRentaro_spots_Sumiaki.png

Hah, yeah I actually ended up watching Mekakucity Actors even though I didn't mention it and I'm loving it so far! I've still yet to start Black Bullet, but I plan to get on it this weekend. 

I'm watching Mekakucity Actors, too.  I hear that it's pretty much impenetrable if you don't know the original source material, but I'm mainly watching it because I like Shaft's highly stylised animation.

I'm watching Mekakucity Actors, too.  I hear that it's pretty much impenetrable if you don't know the original source material, but I'm mainly watching it because I like Shaft's highly stylised animation.

Eh, I'm getting it just fine. I would be interested in reading the light novels/manga if they were to bring them outside of Japan. But I think anyone could jump into this series and understand it. It's just like with most Shaft shows, you have to pay attention while watching or else the story gets confusing. It sorta happened to me with Bakemonogatari and I had to end up watching a few episodes twice to actually understand what's going on.

I am too really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCei4Vm1ZP8

OH MY GOD YESSSSS

The first film was already so amazing, and the production value seems to have gone up significantly. I'm so hyped for this you have no idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone got any suggestions for shojo anime? I am working on Revolutionary Girl Utena, completed Cardcaptor Sakura, need to revisit Sailor Moon, just got the first season of Fushigi Yuugi and adored Magic Knight Rayearth. Any others I may enjoy?

Anyone got any suggestions for shojo anime? I am working on Revolutionary Girl Utena, completed Cardcaptor Sakura, need to revisit Sailor Moon, just got the first season of Fushigi Yuugi and adored Magic Knight Rayearth. Any others I may enjoy?

Well, I do know could watch. (shameless plug) Yes, it's Pretty Cure. I, and quite many others enjoy the series. Especially 4chan. They always have a Pretty Cure thread up. If I were to suggest a starting place, the latest season is the way to go. Happiness Charge is a great start for new folks and it even spices up the usual formula and tries something different for the older fans to enjoy as well. 

The villain actually has a reason to be evil this time. *gasp*

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard of this series. It is made by the same people that made Sailor Moon. Except it's a billion times better in my opinion. tongue.png But yeah, I highly recommend the series to anyone who's into shojo anime. It's a very pleasant, light hearted series.