Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Because most song dubs sound pretty bad compared to the original recording, plus (I wouldn't know, but) I'd imagine it'd cost them more than it's worth for a dub.

Plus not alot of people want songs mutilated by dirty Ameripigs

It's the exact same thing for a dub, if you have confidence your dub is good and like dubs why wouldn't you want a dubbed song?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I don't care if the opening songs are dubbed or not, I'm only gonna end up listening to them once and skip them subsequently anyway (unless they're particularly good).

They still make music for their own language, that was the point if you lost it. They don't just leave it be. Since our dubbing companies don't make completely original songs anymore, the least they can do is dub the japanese song. 

But you don't seem to be a fan of dubbed songs in general, so it's like talking to a brick wall.

It's not that I don't like dubbed songs. What you were posting aren't dubbed songs at all, though. They were completely original tracks written specifically for the dub of the show. This is a dubbed song.

vs. a new song written for a dub

Are you suggesting they write completely new songs to go with the dub? It's obvious that I (and probably you) have no idea how the dubbing process works. There could be some other rights or costs that make a dub or new dong not worth their time. You only see high-profile anime like Dragon Ball Kai get OP dubs these days. Even dubs of the current song can also apply to what I said.

edit: I didn't read some of the stuff you said clearly at first so I wen't back and edited some of my post. Sorry about that.

Then why not new songs? It just sounds really, really jarring to be hearing japanese, then english. If you tolerate that why not just ditch the dub :V

Then why not new songs? 

Money spent on writing said song, time-constraints, rules set by the original company?

idk man I don't do this stuff for a living. I just try to keep up on the discussion here. :c

I would love for someone who knows the inner workings of an anime dub to set me straight here.

It's not that I don't like dubbed songs. What you were posting aren't dubbed songs at all, though. They were completely original tracks written specifically for the dub of the show. This is a dubbed song.

vs. a new song written for a dub

Are you suggesting they write completely new songs to go with the dub? It's obvious that I (and probably you) have no idea how the dubbing process works. There could be some other rights or costs that make a dub or new dong not worth their time. You only see high-profile anime like Dragon Ball Kai get OP dubs these days.

What am I supposed to assume from this? 

Because most song dubs sound pretty bad compared to the original recording, plus (I wouldn't know, but) I'd imagine it'd cost them more than it's worth for a dub.

Anyways, I know that there are problems when it comes to dub songs. Being a One Piece fan, I know that the Japanese record companies are some of the most protective people in the world, but they're not unreasonable. They just ask for a crap load of green that people like funimation and viz usually don't want to pay for. Well, Funimation may dub an opening if they know it will give them returns, but Viz never will even if. But to be honest, this is Sailor Moon; it's bound to make Viz money, so they should've just dubbed the song.

But my point is that there's no reason outside of money why they shouldn't dub a song. 

What am I supposed to assume from this? 

Anyways, I know that there are problems when it comes to dub songs. Being a One Piece fan, I know that the Japanese record companies are some of the most protective people in the world, but they're not unreasonable. They just ask for a crap load of green that people like funimation and viz usually don't want to pay for. Well, Funimation may dub an opening if they know it will give them returns, but Viz never will even if. But to be honest, this is Sailor Moon; it's bound to make Viz money, so they should've just dubbed the song.

But my point is that there's no reason outside of money why they shouldn't dub a song. 

I was pointing out that a new song=/=a dubbed song which you were lumping together before.

And this Sailor Moon business. This is a 20 something year old series, yes? I wouldn't want to be tampering with that kind of history, plus I couldn't imagine it being worth dubbing a 20 year old song. That's just me though, Viz might be taking this into account though.

Not time-constraints either? Y'know there aren't alot of anime distributors in the west, so they constantly have to be dubbing new material I would imagine. There aren't any separate "units" or anything dedicated to one anime, which is why you have the same few people on every anime. Just speculating though, if I'm wrong about the time-constraints, you could be right about money being the biggest issue. Money doesn't grow on trees either.

I was pointing out that a new song=/=a dubbed song which you were lumping together before.

And this Sailor Moon business. This is a 20 something year old series, yes? I wouldn't want to be tampering with that kind of history, plus I couldn't imagine it being worth dubbing a 20 year old song. That's just me though, Viz might be taking this into account though.

Not time-constraints either? Y'know there aren't alot of anime distributors in the west, so they constantly have to be dubbing new material I would imagine. There aren't any separate "units" or anything dedicated to one anime, which is why you have the same few people on every anime. Just speculating though, if I'm wrong about the time-constraints, you could be right about money being the biggest issue. Money doesn't grow on trees either.

It's still a localization. 

Our history with Sailor moon wasn't just with the Japanese dub. While I know many people hate the old english dubs, I know that there is still a nostalgia twinge to this rendition of the opening. (Which I personally thought is a decent dubbing of the original song; even if a little off.)

Sailor Moon has been with the anime fandom for years, and is pretty much guaranteed to bring in a lot of sales based on nostalgia alone.

Time constraints aren't usually a problem. A song is just a one time deal for the dubbers. There are more problems when the Japanese don't play ball and don't give instrumentals, so the instrumentals have to be redone for the english release. 

Also, they don't have to dub a lot of material. From what I've recalled, Viz hardly dubs anything these days outside of a few choice dubs. And Funimation only does a couple of shows a year. It's because they charge an arm and a leg for a lot of the anime they get; and sometimes they are saddled with shows as part of package deals which the japanese force on the distributors. In truth, it is more profitalble for people like Viz and Funimation to actually make their anime as cheap as possible with reprints. That way they get more sales from newcomers, but still made back the profits from their first run. 

Attack on Titan is on, gotta run.

Attack on Titan is on, gotta run.

Well I was gonna say that you had a point and you made good points, but if you're gonna leave me for Attack on Titan I guess that's that. :(

Also it's ok to skip that 4 episode flashback in One Piece's Fishman Island arc right? I really just want to be up to date with One Piece after about 2 years of trying to.

Well I was gonna say that you had a point and you made good points, but if you're gonna leave me for Attack on Titan I guess that's that. :(

Also it's ok to skip that 4 episode flashback in One Piece's Fishman Island arc right? I really just want to be up to date with One Piece after about 2 years of trying to.

Commercial break.

Read the manga for Fishman island. The anime is not worth it for that arc.

Read the manga for Fishman island. The anime is not worth it for that arc.

Man I already got this far, might as well finish it in style (no budget animation style).

I guess the flashback is worth skipping if you can't comment on it lol

And this Sailor Moon business. This is a 20 something year old series, yes? I wouldn't want to be tampering with that kind of history

... you're already tampering with it by dubbing it. I mean, by the logic that dubbing or making an english song would be tampering :P

Man I already got this far, might as well finish it in style (no budget animation style).

I guess the flashback is worth skipping if you can't comment on it lol

It's worth skipping. Look at the wiki for info on it.

... you're already tampering with it by dubbing it. I mean, by the logic that dubbing or making an english song would be tampering tongue.png

Which is why no one should watch dubs

I guess you have a point there, but I don't know. Viz probably has some kind of reason.

It's worth skipping. Look at the wiki for info on it.

Oh trust me I already did.

Basically hero and queen/mommy died for humans/their country right?

There we go, we agree on something! Going back to watching Gundam Unicorn now.

Speaking of Gundam. Is it any good or is it just generic shounen mecha.

Please don't hurt me

I guess you have a point there, but I don't know. Viz probably has some kind of reason.

Oh trust me I already did.

Basically hero and queen/mommy died for humans/their country right?

The only flashback that is worth looking at is the part with fisher tiger. But I'm not sure if that part is in that 4 episode set.

Gundam is a huge franchise. IE, there's so many series in it some are good, and some are generic shounen mecha.

Gundam Unicorn, the OVA that had the last episode released yesterday, is mostly cliché'd recycled crap but with amazing budget. Personally, if you don't mind old bad animation, my recommendation is always

For the story:

- The 1979 series, or the three TV films that retell its story

- Gundam: War in the Pocket (OVA)

- Turn A Gundam

For the fun nonsense with some dashes of drama:

- G Gundam, definitely- alternate universe where instead of serious war drama it's a kung-fu tournament with robots

- ZZ Gundam- same universe as the war dramas, but (at least first half) much sillier

- After you've gotten yourself more familiar with the franchise, the SD Gundam comedy OVAs

For the animation (story might not be as good):

- Gundam: Stardust Memories (OVA)

- Gundam Unicorn (OVA)

- Gundam F91 (movie)

EDIT: If you search for it I'm sure you'll find on this forum a thread I once made for Gundam, I probably talked a little more in detail in there

The only flashback that is worth looking at is the part with fisher tiger. But I'm not sure if that part is in that 4 episode set.

Oh shit, it's the very same. Eh I got enough of it down from the wikia to be comfortable with skipping it. Plus the ending took on the first half of an episode before going to the present, so I saw that. 

I just can't waste my time with these things now that the anime is chugging one chapter an episode. 

Gundam is a huge franchise. IE, there's so many series in it some are good, and some are generic shounen mecha.

Gundam Unicorn, the OVA that had the last episode released yesterday, is mostly cliché'd recycled crap but with amazing budget. Personally, if you don't mind old bad animation, my recommendation is always

For the story:

- The 1979 series, or the three TV films that retell its story

- Gundam: War in the Pocket (OVA)

- Turn A Gundam

For the fun nonsense with some dashes of drama:

- G Gundam, definitely- alternate universe where instead of serious war drama it's a kung-fu tournament with robots

- ZZ Gundam- same universe as the war dramas, but (at least first half) much sillier

- After you've gotten yourself more familiar with the franchise, the SD Gundam comedy OVAs

For the animation (story might not be as good):

- Gundam: Stardust Memories (OVA)

- Gundam Unicorn (OVA)

- Gundam F91 (movie)

EDIT: If you search for it I'm sure you'll find on this forum a thread I once made for Gundam, I probably talked a little more in detail in there

Oh please you have told me enough. Holy crao talk about riding on a brand name.

Well it's been around for over 30 years and was so influential it created a whole bunch of tropes in anime, not just mecha anime; not to mention the model kids sell like hot cakes and we even famously had the giant Gundam statue (AKA model kid of scale 1:1) a few years ago, and now they're making a giant Zaku.

Yeah, there's lots of content. Effectively, you can mostly risk just picking at random and giving it a try.

The aforementioned old Gundam thread I made, btw: 

Well it's been around for over 30 years and was so influential it created a whole bunch of tropes in anime, not just mecha anime; not to mention the model kids sell like hot cakes and we even famously had the giant Gundam statue (AKA model kid of scale 1:1) a few years ago, and now they're making a giant Zaku.

Yeah, there's lots of content. Effectively, you can mostly risk just picking at random and giving it a try.

The aforementioned old Gundam thread I made, btw: 

Alright I'll see what I can do about it. My backlog is really clogged atm so I probably won't watch any for a while. Bookmarked page for later.

Also do we have a anime trading thread? Other people need to watch Now and Then Here and There. Like now

Watching Strike Witches out of curiosity.

... I had no idea they made WWII airplane noises while flying. I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at these moe girls with cat ears and airplane engines for legs going around in formation while doing BRRROOOOOOUUUUUUM sounds

Well on the topic of anime dubs:

It took them long enough but Funimation FINALLY got the home video rights for Hellsing Ultimate episodes 9 and 10 and are releasing them this Fall.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/05/17/funimation-announces-final-hellsing-ultimate-episodes

Perfect timing considering I just watched it for the first time and bought episodes 1-8. Definitely would recommend that you give it a try if you haven't. Extremely enjoyable.

Does anyone know what constitutes whether a shounen show gets a continuous series (One Piece, Hunter X Hunter) vs multiple standard 2-cour seasons (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan)

IDK, but all I know is I much prefer the seasonal method. That way there can be way less filler and fucked pacing, things that typically happen with shows that have to pump out an episode every week. 

• Thumbs Up 1